Magic Farm 2 venting and advice thread

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks. Any particular strategies for these? Any particular weapon i should aim for?

Guess I have to find some water shards and get my thaumcraft going.

How is the nether in magic farm? I have yet to go there. Will I want flight before I go?

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
As far as those zombies in particular, you just don't have the gear for it as they will regen (purple swirls) quicker than your damage with an iron sword. Some have blue for speed, red for attack bonus and you should be able to fight those. Fighting will kill your food bar so be aware of that. Run from infernal mobs. You are too weak for them right now. The nether wouldn't be as futile if it wasn't for random pigmen spawning with aggro. There aren't any new mobs, just more of them. One good way to get some really good armor is to get a wand of lightning and mine for silver fish. You can pick them off one at a time and they don't do as much damage and the infernal silver fish are not as bad.

cannajan

Jul 29, 2019
I've found buffed, skellies and creepers as well as zombies, all from spawners.
My favorite method is suffocation, or just avoid them as they dont have good drops like infernals and arent worth degrading your equipment fighting them.
Fire protection is good for nether and oc flight will help, pig men sometimes attack for what seems like no reason? but I havent had to many problems, you can always go naked with just a few essentials to harvest ores etc.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I've found buffed, skellies and creepers as well as zombies, all from spawners.
My favorite method is suffocation, or just avoid them as they dont have good drops like infernals and arent worth degrading your equipment fighting them.
Fire protection is good for nether and oc flight will help, pig men sometimes attack for what seems like no reason? but I havent had to many problems, you can always go naked with just a few essentials to harvest ores etc.

I can't go naked as I am in hardcore. Death is not an option.

Reactions: Not_Steve

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
damn... you don't do mystcraft unless your dead serious about it with that ink well recipe. but alas... with our powers combined, by the power of greyskull, knowing that knowing was half the battle, Luke used the force, I can not tell you how geared up for this I was ( actually I can but it. was. alot), but I trained my dragon. I can ease off the throttle finally now that I have end pearls and develop my base and learn about all this new mod crap.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Hardcore update: I finally got some water shards. With those i could finally build a thaumometer and start thaumcraft. My sugarcane farm was growing so slowly though that i had to level my pick to diamond level so I could build a pulverizer to make paper. :(

The good news is I should be able to go through thaumcraft now and get some decent equipment for surviving the nether.

One of the tricks I have used thus far is to carry a bucket of lava with me. It is useful for taking down mobs and making a barrier when you need it.

Pantong

Jul 29, 2019
I have noticed that if you start with friends, you will not have enough food to go around, unless you rush food production first. If you start solo, grab all the berry bushes you can and plant them at a temp base. Make a juicer and gather a few stacks of berrys. then explore for about an hour to find your next base. I do this for a day, then i rush mfr wood > charcoal > steam dynamos > wheat far > autospawner > breeder >cow> grinder> gg food problems. takes awhile but once you get there, burgers forever!

I see most server run tp to and gives players food for noting and starting out, and i wonder why they do that? the point of the game is to be hard. Server life should be hard.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I have noticed that if you start with friends, you will not have enough food to go around, unless you rush food production first. If you start solo, grab all the berry bushes you can and plant them at a temp base. Make a juicer and gather a few stacks of berrys. then explore for about an hour to find your next base. I do this for a day, then i rush mfr wood > charcoal > steam dynamos > wheat far > autospawner > breeder >cow> grinder> gg food problems. takes awhile but once you get there, burgers forever!

I see most server run tp to and gives players food for noting and starting out, and i wonder why they do that? the point of the game is to be hard. Server life should be hard.

Two things, it sounds like you are on 1.0.8 of MF2. Natura berry bushes no longer spawn in the latest versions, so no free lunch.. Food is really going to be hard to come by. If you are starting on a new server with friends, and you each go your own direction for foraging, you may be ok. If you can find a few cotton plants and get some string, a fishing pole is your best friend. it will keep you alive, although sometimes fishing takes a while.

On a server, the free food is so you will have a chance to get tools and level them up far enough so you can mine copper since you can't make a farm until you can make a copper mattock. Most of the wild plants around spawn will likely be gone, so you won't really get much from foraging for food. If you are lucky, someone has already built a community smeltery and has it supplied with lava and the casts to make the first few tools you will need. You will also likely have to survive the night on a server, since there might not be a bed available. If you can't skip the night, you will probably be hiding somewhere. You will need the extra food as you will likely not be productive during the night, yet still consume food. So an admin or someone giving a new player food sounds like they are looking out for you long enough to get established if you don't waste the gift frivolously.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012

Because I don't have to play the way you, jaded, or anyone else wants me to.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
damn... you don't do mystcraft unless your dead serious about it with that ink well recipe

I really like the Ink Well recipe change. Something as powerful as dimensional travel in a difficult survival modpack like MF2 should require more than stone, iron, paper, leather, and ink sacs.

I created my MF2 world before this change and I admit that I built an early-game ink well and built a mini-Nexus in my 1st Mystraft Age. A bit OP, IMHO. My next MF2 world should be more challenging as a result of this change.[DOUBLEPOST=1392395099][/DOUBLEPOST]
Thanks. Any particular strategies for these? Any particular weapon i should aim for?

Guess I have to find some water shards and get my thaumcraft going.

How is the nether in magic farm? I have yet to go there. Will I want flight before I go?

It's more difficult than vanilla Nether, but not insanely difficult. I was pleasantly surprised the difference in difficulty between vanilla and MF2 Nether was not nearly as much as vanilla and MF2 Overworld. The Nether is safer, IMHO, than the Overworld at night. It's about on-par with a large cave system one is exploring for the first time, where there are spawners, traps, silverfish, etc.,

If you can survive the Overworld at night, you'll be fine in the Nether.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
It's more difficult than vanilla Nether, but not insanely difficult. I was pleasantly surprised the difference in difficulty between vanilla and MF2 Nether was not nearly as much as vanilla and MF2 Overworld. The Nether is safer, IMHO, than the Overworld at night. It's about on-par with a large cave system one is exploring for the first time, where there are spawners, traps, silverfish, etc.,

If you can survive the Overworld at night, you'll be fine in the Nether.

Thanks for the info. I'm not quite as nervous about it now, although I do think I will wait until I get my thaumostatic harness built before heading over. You never know when you might need flight in the nether. I've had a few really bad nether spawn that put you on a 1block deep platform in the middle of a lava lake. I've been sleeping through most nights in the overworld, but caving hasn't been too bad. I've run away from most of the mobs with the particle effects, so I haven't died yet. :D

"He who flees and runs away, lives to flee another day."

Reactions: MigukNamja

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
I've been sleeping through most nights in the overworld, but caving hasn't been too bad. I've run away from most of the mobs with the particle effects, so I haven't died yet. :D

"He who flees and runs away, lives to flee another day."

You'll do more than fine in the Nether. The only nasty surprise mobs in the Nether are the sparkly mobs.The rest behave like vanilla.

As for visiting the Nether, I've always had success building my Nether portal at Y=40 or lower. It has usually spawned me in the middle of a Netherrack cave-like system, whereby I dig a stairway up and don't have to deal with Ghasts until I'm ready for them.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
Yep. There have been 3 devices that have been key for me. The TT Osmotic Enchanter (whatever it is), the Vanilla Anvil, and the MFR Dis-enchanter. With these 3 machines I have been able to build some excellent gear. I risk saying this as it is something that is maybe not intended by Jaded, but It is easier than you think to build Top shelf gear.[DOUBLEPOST=1392409298][/DOUBLEPOST]I think the unprovoked nature of random pigmen have been taken alittle to lightly by some. It's not just them, its the 6 pigmen and 4 baby pigs that get you when you aren't overly geared in your first trip.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Yep. There have been 3 devices that have been key for me. The TT Osmotic Enchanter (whatever it is), the Vanilla Anvil, and the MFR Dis-enchanter. With these 3 machines I have been able to build some excellent gear. I risk saying this as it is something that is maybe not intended by Jaded, but It is easier than you think to build Top shelf gear.

The [TT] OE is sweet. While very powerful, it does have mid-game-ish requirements between the Dangerous-level Infusion Altar crafting, the Obsidian Totems that have to be acquired through exploring, and the high Vis costs that require a decent collection of captured nodes to use.

I also like the [TT] repair-thingy. It, too, is not cheap to make, but is very effective at repairing things without requiring levels or a lot of mats. Expensive to build, cheap to use.

Pantong

Jul 29, 2019
Because I don't have to play the way you, jaded, or anyone else wants me to.
You have that right, but if you did not want it too difficult, why not do monster or one of the other packs?
Unless you like all the other mods in it, i do, but the survival part makes to best for me.[DOUBLEPOST=1392412301][/DOUBLEPOST]
Two things, it sounds like you are on 1.0.8 of MF2. Natura berry bushes no longer spawn in the latest versions, so no free lunch.. Food is really going to be hard to come by. If you are starting on a new server with friends, and you each go your own direction for foraging, you may be ok. If you can find a few cotton plants and get some string, a fishing pole is your best friend. it will keep you alive, although sometimes fishing takes a while.

On a server, the free food is so you will have a chance to get tools and level them up far enough so you can mine copper since you can't make a farm until you can make a copper mattock. Most of the wild plants around spawn will likely be gone, so you won't really get much from foraging for food. If you are lucky, someone has already built a community smeltery and has it supplied with lava and the casts to make the first few tools you will need. You will also likely have to survive the night on a server, since there might not be a bed available. If you can't skip the night, you will probably be hiding somewhere. You will need the extra food as you will likely not be productive during the night, yet still consume food. So an admin or someone giving a new player food sounds like they are looking out for you long enough to get established if you don't waste the gift frivolously.

My server is on 2.1.2, we had some left over berry bushes and bee tradeing them around so i guess i have not noticed yet =p

We tell people they can buy food from the market if wanted, or they can search around, most people who log on the server, more established players help them for a bit, killing mobs giving extra armor, and food. It's a pvp server, everyone know they cant kill anyone if people think the pack is too hard, but at the same time. They prefer the server to be hard.

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
You have that right, but if you did not want it too difficult, why not do monster or one of the other packs?
Unless you like all the other mods in it, i do, but the survival part makes to best for me.
The interdependence of the different mods makes the pack feel more cohesive than any of the others. That's something that I enjoy and I think many others do as well

Pantong

Jul 29, 2019
The interdependence of the different mods makes the pack feel more cohesive than any of the others. That's something that I enjoy and I think many others do as well
I do have to say, the pack feels like all the mods work every well with eachother. and i do like that alot.

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019
Once again, I must bring up the importance of grilled cheese, with a 2x2 patch of water, skillet, pan, mixing bowl, pot, cow and a good grain farm, you can easily create a whole bunch of grilled cheeses with only one item truly consumed: the bread. And this is negligible as a little exploration can help you find some barley. Really, it's quite OP.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
If you want to go vegetarian/vegan, the veggie stir fry is not too difficult. There are several recipes, and this is the one I use:

skillet (not consumed)
bowl (not consumed)
1x carrot
1x onion
1x rice
1x mushroom
1x green bell pepper

There are several alternatives to this, but it's pretty much as above with 1 ingredient swapped out. It fills up half a health bar and gives "Well Fed" buff for over 2 minutes.

A stack of 64 lasts a long, long time.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Hardcore update - Found out that a thaumostatic harness requires a comparator, which requires nether quartz, which means a trip to the nether. Remember those horrible nether spawns I talked about? Turns out, I got one of those. A floating obsidian platform over a lava lake. :eek: The only saving grace is that earlier, I had build an igneous extruder and stuck a barrel on top to generate cobble for me.:) I must of used 10 or so stacks of cobble building a room around the portal and a walkway.

ALWAYS bring a flint and steel to the nether. I had to relight my portal 2-3 times while I dodged ghast fireballs and built my platform. I was able to get some nether quartz and built my harness. Yeah flight! :cool: