Magic Farm 2 venting and advice thread

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I kind of want to make a hardcore mode world with the harder configs, but I'm scared. What do those configs do?

I've been playing with the harderMF settings on 2.0.1 of magicfarm. I haven't noticed a lot of changes. Most of what I did see changed were normally blocks I didn't do a lot with anyways like the auto-enchanter. Although from the change log, it looks like those blocks were re-enabled in the latest packs.

The biggest change I see in the pack, is that you do not get automatic enchantments to the TiC tools as you level them. You only open up modifier slots instead. This means no haste or fortune/looting automatically on lower tier tools. You have to put on the modifiers yourself. Since several of the modifiers require things like redstone, nether quartz, lapis, obisidian and the like, you won't be able to add any of these until much later in the game.

The other thing I've noticed, but not sure if this is global or due to the harderMF settings, is that non-magical biomes are extremely slow to grow crops. I had a cactus farm and reed farm in a meadows biome, and even after a couple in-game weeks, I only had 1 stage of growth on a couple blocks. After I converted the area near the reed farm to magical forest via a silverwood tree with a pure node, the reed farm started taking off. The cactus farm however, was still out of range of the biome change and was barely growing.

BIG mac

Jul 29, 2019
Okay. I'm doing it! I'm starting a hardcore world with harder configs, except I have the food challenge configs for minetweaker and cofh.[DOUBLEPOST=1392613328][/DOUBLEPOST]
The other thing I've noticed, but not sure if this is global or due to the harderMF settings, is that non-magical biomes are extremely slow to grow crops. I had a cactus farm and reed farm in a meadows biome, and even after a couple in-game weeks, I only had 1 stage of growth on a couple blocks. After I converted the area near the reed farm to magical forest via a silverwood tree with a pure node, the reed farm started taking off. The cactus farm however, was still out of range of the biome change and was barely growing.

Crops take forever to grow in regular magic farm too. I don't know what I will do now that natura berry bushes are out. I can't go to any BoP biomes either because I have a slow computer and BoP biomes make it lag.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Well, my world is gone now. I was doing pretty good for myself. I had a mana bean farm started (outside a magical biome), most of thaumcraft researched, I had just built a thaumic restorer (3 times to get it to go), and had most of the thaumic tools. I got blown up by an infernal ender creeper. (It was the first time I ever saw one.) Not really fair if you ask me. He teleported right next to me and blew up. No chance to do anything about it either. It was pure cheese. Not even a battle, or me going in where I shouldn't have, or getting overwhelmed, or me doing something stupid (like accidentally turning off the thaumostatic harness while over lava and trying to gain altitude.)

My death was so cheesy, I'm considering rolling back my world to a backup. I really hope ender creepers are removed in the latest version considering in hard core, you really can't do anything about them. You can't pick them off at range, you can't run away, and you can't battle them up close. I was looking for a reason to move to the latest version of the pack, but really didn't want it to be with a really cheesy death.[DOUBLEPOST=1392618353][/DOUBLEPOST]
Okay. I'm doing it! I'm starting a hardcore world with harder configs, except I have the food challenge configs for minetweaker and cofh.

What are the food challenge configs? Are they part of the download like the harderMF?

cannajan

Jul 29, 2019
that's exactly the link that I find difficult to understand.
I presume you didnt like the ingredients one either? OH its not there any more
I know its clunky and repetative, the nonfood items should be a sep page, you could edit it, but we need a good searchable one like..... (dont starve) - maybe if hunger was even worse it would be worth the effort.
I'd love to see one sorted by easyness, but that so depends on what you have available. I lived from fish one time, another time it was pumpkin pie, eventually I end up up cooking the same few things cos its easier.

cannajan

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry about your world netmc, they are bad! I died to one of them, you cant avoid them, you just have time to see it arrive, then BAM! at least you can avoid the nasty infernals or even net them for later treatment.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
Well, my world is gone now. I was doing pretty good for myself. I had a mana bean farm started (outside a magical biome), most of thaumcraft researched, I had just built a thaumic restorer (3 times to get it to go), and had most of the thaumic tools. I got blown up by an infernal ender creeper. (It was the first time I ever saw one.) Not really fair if you ask me. He teleported right next to me and blew up. No chance to do anything about it either. It was pure cheese. Not even a battle, or me going in where I shouldn't have, or getting overwhelmed, or me doing something stupid (like accidentally turning off the thaumostatic harness while over lava and trying to gain altitude.)

My death was so cheesy, I'm considering rolling back my world to a backup. I really hope ender creepers are removed in the latest version considering in hard core, you really can't do anything about them. You can't pick them off at range, you can't run away, and you can't battle them up close. I was looking for a reason to move to the latest version of the pack, but really didn't want it to be with a really cheesy death.[DOUBLEPOST=1392618353][/DOUBLEPOST]

What are the food challenge configs? Are they part of the download like the harderMF?
Well, that's kinda what the infernal mobs are. They are cheesy, the lot of them. They make for great mini bosses, but horrible normal mobs as they are insanely not well thought out. I wouldn't consider hardcore with the infernal mod included. Heck, only time I have killed infernals is with a cheesy technique.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
I presume you didnt like the ingredients one either? OH its not there any more
I know its clunky and repetative, the nonfood items should be a sep page, you could edit it, but we need a good searchable one like..... (dont starve) - maybe if hunger was even worse it would be worth the effort.
I'd love to see one sorted by easyness, but that so depends on what you have available. I lived from fish one time, another time it was pumpkin pie, eventually I end up up cooking the same few things cos its easier.
Yeah, trouble with the new brand of mod developers is that they really don't explain their mods very well if at all. I might create a google doc to reexplain the recipies by number of ingrediants, by ingredient, and end result alphabetically or something. It also doesn't help that MF has like 3 of these type farming mods and you don't know which mod to wiki for.

James_Grimm

Jul 29, 2019
Netmc's experience does make me worry about on convincing my partner to try MF2. Mob combat is her absolute least favorite part of minecraft, but she simply loves Bee breeding (she's studying genetics), farming, and building things out of the various decorative blocks most of the mods add. Hmm, maybe I can tweak a server version to share with less mob nastiness, and then play a SSP where I stick a sign up "bring it on" for the mobs and leave the configs as they are(I'm sure MF2 will make me regret that somehow).

I never play hardcore, nothing against those who do (I even kind of admire it) but I get so little play time as it is that losing a whole world would just be too much. I usually need a minute after I fall in lava and lose all my stuff, to lose my entire world and all the work I did on my base .... ouch man. Ouch.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
I got blown up by an infernal ender creeper. (It was the first time I ever saw one.) Not really fair if you ask me.

Booo ! Very sorry to read this, @netmc . I don't play Hardcore (deaths_allowed = 0) for this reason. Like @James_Grimm said, I admire those that do, but the frustration is not for me.

Hmm, maybe I can tweak a server version to share with less mob nastiness

My 6-yr-old daughter will vacillate between wanting to go toe-to-toe with mobs and wanting no monsters so she can build. When she's on and wanting to build, I will set to peaceful mode and build with her.

Reactions: James_Grimm

James_Grimm

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah I've done a lot of peaceful mode builds with her making huge castles and towers and etc. To be fair, when what you really want to do is finish something you've been constructing for the last two hours, that suddenly creeper effect is a lot less fun and more just annoyance. I'm actually looking forward to the lack of terrain destruction in MF2.

I mean, I know Jaded did it so you can't use creepers to mine up ore tiers, but I REALLY hate filling all those holes in with dirt in the landscape, and my OCD won't let me leave it pockmarked (besides that just turns them into a bunch of ambush holes for skeletons and creepers to get you, anyways).

Sorry to hear you died Netmc, hope you give MF2 another go. As an update to my own world, I'm mainly lacking in ender pearls to go to the end. I've resorted to putting looting on my Ticon sword, in hopes I'll get more, after I already used up a handful making ender tanks and such. I finished all the Thaumcraft research the hard way, and THEN azanor drops 4.1. *sigh* :)

Reactions: MigukNamja

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
I'm mainly lacking in ender pearls to go to the end

I also didn't have much luck with whacked Endermen dropping Ender Pearls, probably because my early-game sword didn't have Looting.

I got most of my pre-The End pearls from Ender Lilies, but I'm not sure if those have been nerfed (excluded) in the latest MF2 versions. I got most of those Ender Lilies from the chests beneath Great Oak trees with spider webs and the spider spawner just beneath the tree.

1. Find Magic Forest Biome
2. Find Greatwood tree with spider webs
3. Kill spiders
4. Lumberaxe base of tree to expose spawner
5. Pickaxe / Diamond Dolly spawner
6. Loot chest

You can also get Ender Pearls at a near 100% drop rate from the Oblivion Hives that spawn at Y=10-ish in Magic Forest Biomes. As a bonus, those hives are surrounded by Glowstone and the Infernal Hives at the same level are surrounded by End Stone. If you can overwrite or deal with the really, really nasty Effect from those bees, their Forgotten combs can produce Ender Pearls when shaped-crafted and then shape-crafted again in a Carpenter.

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
YMMV. I tried that in 1.6 and I while I got tons of mobs, I got hardly any Endermen. I do not recommend trying this in MF2. You are much more likely to get sparkly mobs of other varieties that will do nasty things to you like poison you, steal your weapon, teleport behind you, etc.,.
I was using it last night the trick is if you go back down the ladder the sparkly mobs despawn and then you can go right back up and try to find an enderman

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
If I do play through on hardcore again, I'll probably disable the ender creepers and rust/weapon drop ability on infernal mobs. Those are a bit extreme, considering the insane difficulty with most of the infernal mobs. On hardcore, if you lose your weapon, you are pretty much screwed.

When I was hunting for endermen in the desert, I came across a infernal zombie with webbing and darkness. Every time I hit him with my bow, I got webbed and blinded. Rather annoying when in a desert with the occasional lava lake and mobs all around. I once got knocked down to 3 hearts from a firebat with the fireball ability. It was run away and swing the sword wildly and hope I hit it. Even though, those mobs are really insane, they are doable with some preparation or running away. Mobs that can kill you in 1 hit without any chance of success on your part really should be banned.

James_Grimm

Jul 29, 2019
I also didn't have much luck with whacked Endermen dropping Ender Pearls, probably because my early-game sword didn't have Looting.

I got most of my pre-The End pearls from Ender Lilies, but I'm not sure if those have been nerfed (excluded) in the latest MF2 versions. I got most of those Ender Lilies from the chests beneath Great Oak trees with spider webs and the spider spawner just beneath the tree.

1. Find Magic Forest Biome
2. Find Greatwood tree with spider webs
3. Kill spiders
4. Lumberaxe base of tree to expose spawner
5. Pickaxe / Diamond Dolly spawner
6. Loot chest

You can also get Ender Pearls at a near 100% drop rate from the Oblivion Hives that spawn at Y=10-ish in Magic Forest Biomes. As a bonus, those hives are surrounded by Glowstone and the Infernal Hives at the same level are surrounded by End Stone. If you can overwrite or deal with the really, really nasty Effect from those bees, their Forgotten combs can produce Ender Pearls when shaped-crafted and then shape-crafted again in a Carpenter.

Sadly I don't have Extra Utilities in my modpack yet (regretting that now) so no ender lillies. I do have Magic Bees however, and I didn't know the hives were biome specific, I may go mining under the nearby magic forests then for those hives. But currently I have no way to create renewable pearls in my pack aside from Bees, and I'm frankly not as good at bees as my partner (I've got cultivated bees finally). It's making me seriously consider adding Magical Crops to MF2 when I get to that, as it seems like it would really fit into the pack and it gives non-bee ways of getting resources.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Sadly I don't have Extra Utilities in my modpack yet (regretting that now) so no ender lillies. I do have Magic Bees however, and I didn't know the hives were biome specific, I may go mining under the nearby magic forests then for those hives. But currently I have no way to create renewable pearls in my pack aside from Bees, and I'm frankly not as good at bees as my partner (I've got cultivated bees finally). It's making me seriously consider adding Magical Crops to MF2 when I get to that, as it seems like it would really fit into the pack and it gives non-bee ways of getting resources.

If you've already gotten Cultivated, you're well on your way to Imperial. Once you have Imperial, you can start ExtraBees in earnest and then overwrite the nasty 'Aggressive' Effect in Oblivion Bees with something less nasty. You could also cross-breed with Cultivated to breed out that Effect and hopefully breed in the Fast Production from Cultivated, but that's difficult for 2 reasons:

* Aggressive Effect
* Cross-breeding is a roll of the dice and it will take practice and patience to breed back and re-purify

Or, you *could* simply use Oblivion Bees as-is, but stay far away from them. You will of course need to automate the Apiaries to re-insert the princess and drone and to siphon off the combs and extra drones. The combs are nice - they centrifuge down to Pulsating Propolis, which can be used to make Ender Pearls. It takes 25 Pulsating Propolis to make 1 Ender Pearl.

James_Grimm

Jul 29, 2019
It's the stabilizing the bees into a non-hybrid with decent traits step that I always have trouble with, it seems to take forever by trial and error. I really appreciate all the tips. Sorry to semi-threadjack, but at least Bees are relevant for MF2 also.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
It's the stabilizing the bees into a non-hybrid with decent traits step that I always have trouble with, it seems to take forever by trial and error. I really appreciate all the tips. Sorry to semi-threadjack, but at least Bees are relevant for MF2 also.

I've done my fair share and while mildly interesting the first time, it's mostly tedious and frustrating. That's why so many people, including myself, have no qualms about using ExtraBees' machines to manipulate traits directly. The trait I always isolate first is Maximum Fertility from Wintry bees. Beautific Effect or simply No Effect is also nice to cancel out Aggressive Effect.

James_Grimm

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah on previous server playthroughs, I'd let my partner breed the imperial and industrious bees, and then I would make the Extra Bee machines and just use those. It's probably why I'm having so much trouble with the lowtech method (since I never do it).

I wish I could figure out a automated way to stabilize bees, building a auto-cycling setup using itemducts was super-easy for me, but that requires using already stabilized bees.