Magic Farm 2 venting and advice thread

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019
You know, I just thought of something: someone should really make a subwiki on the FTB Wiki based on teaching the tricks, tips and various

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
This thread does have a lot of little tricks in it.

For tips, does anyone have any for getting the perfidio aspect (mine)? I normally use pickaxes, but since those aren't craftable, and the TiC tools don't have aspects, the only way I can think to get it is to use a thaumium pick or mana beans. Any other ideas?

On to venting - I was using some of the magic bows and other junk for the aspects... I accidentally used my bow with infinity, power 3, unbreaking 2. ugh!

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019
This thread does have a lot of little tricks in it.

True, and I have no problem with searching through it, but find it may benefit us as a whole to put all these tidbits of information into a single area.

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
True, and I have no problem with searching through it, but find it may benefit us as a whole to put all these tidbits of information into a single area.
I am currently working on a getting started guide by doing consecutive worlds to alumite level with full diamond enchanted armor (just started my 4th in 2 weeks a few hours ago). I will probably post it in a new thread in a few days. If someone wants to put a bunch of the tips into a single post, I will edit the first post and put it all in.

Last edited:

James_Grimm

Jul 29, 2019
Hardcore update - Found out that a thaumostatic harness requires a comparator, which requires nether quartz, which means a trip to the nether. Remember those horrible nether spawns I talked about? Turns out, I got one of those. A floating obsidian platform over a lava lake. :eek: The only saving grace is that earlier, I had build an igneous extruder and stuck a barrel on top to generate cobble for me.:) I must of used 10 or so stacks of cobble building a room around the portal and a walkway.

ALWAYS bring a flint and steel to the nether. I had to relight my portal 2-3 times while I dodged ghast fireballs and built my platform. I was able to get some nether quartz and built my harness. Yeah flight! :cool:

Just saying, but I really enjoy these updates, and the tips from the other players. You guys have got me convinced to try Magic Farm 2 for my next single play world. Gotta finish off the one I'm on first tho, I still haven't gotten ready to kill the EnderDragon yet (that was my goal for this go round, I've never done it.)

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Just saying, but I really enjoy these updates, and the tips from the other players. You guys have got me convinced to try Magic Farm 2 for my next single play world. Gotta finish off the one I'm on first tho, I still haven't gotten ready to kill the EnderDragon yet (that was my goal for this go round, I've never done it.)

Stone sword, no flight, Unenchanted bow with 32 arrows, 6 stacks of snowballs, and the rest as food and cobble. If not hard mode no armor, if hard mode use enchanted leather armor. Make your first time memorable. (hue hue hue)

James_Grimm

Jul 29, 2019
I think I'll pass on that thanks. I want to move onto my next goal before the summer. Which would be to build a flying sky Cloud castle made entirely out of Ti-con Stained Clear Glass (so it looks like it's made of a rainbow array of gemstones). I think I've figured out how to do it in my head, and frankly I've dreamed about it, so I'm gonna build it. (of all things it's based on one of my favorite modules from Dungeon magazine many years ago for D&D).

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I am currently working on a getting started guide by doing consecutive worlds to alumite level with full diamond enchanted armor (just started my 4th in 2 weeks a few hours ago). I will probably post it in a new thread in a few days. If someone wants to put a bunch of the tips into a single post, I will edit the first post and put it all in.

Here are a few things I've found in getting to Alumite.

One of the mods adds the recipe of bucket of lava, plus bucket of water, plus diamond pick = obsidian (you get the buckets and pick back). You can get diamond picks as infernal mob drops. Diamond picks can mine iron. So, if you are lucky and get a diamond pick as loot, you can instantly progress to alumite. (Jaded will probably remove this recipe at some point, although she might keep it since you can only get the loot by fighting infernal mobs.)

Grave robbing - Graves can hold redstone, iron and gold. Fully repaired weapons and armor can be smelted down into ingots. (TiC smeltery) The igneous extruder can make obsidian out of lava and water. If you come across some graves and get lucky in the loot, you can skip to alumite. you only need 2 redstone, 1 gold, 7 iron, and 2 tin :( to make the igneous extruder. This does let you skip the boost of the bronze pick to mine at diamond level, although you do have to reach the tin level first.

Always use a head. When leveling the boost on your pick, as long as you use a head and upgrade your pick before you get enough XP to boost it through use, you keep the boost XP gained. If you boost it completely by use, the boost XP starts over, so it takes a lot longer to boost to the next level. (this may be a bug)

Side note: Weapons do not currently get the damage boost afforded by upgrading your current weapon to new materials. You will need to remake your weapon often while progressing to alumite. (this is a bug)

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
make flint pick, mine stone until you can build furnace, cook atleast 3 stone. make stone pressure plate and stone block. Makes juicer. as you pick up any agri or harvest craft berries berry+juicer in craft table = juice. Doubles food from .5 to 1 hunger bars.
Engage and loot villages, sword graves, and Greatwood spider trees to get thuamium or iron ingots for hoe.
1st thing is make bed.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
One of the other things I've come across. Build your base in a magical biome. (magical forest, jade cliffs, etc.) There seems to be a boost to plant growth rate. Non-magical biomes seem to take forever to grow sugar cane and cactus. Magical biomes seem to have close to normal growth rate.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
That all sounds like wimpy shit. Best plop down on a survival island and get to work!

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not yet on the latest version of the pack.. Does anyone know if the thaumcraft recipes have been tweaked? A good portion of the infusion recipes use iron swords, picks and axes. I know the iron axes are enabled (for the golem chop core), but not sure about the picks and swords. I've got a couple swords as loot, but it will take quite a few to use infusion enchanting to bring the sword of the zephyr up to sharpness V. The only other way I can think to do this is to bypass infusion enchanting and use the osmotic enchanter instead.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
does anyone have any for getting the perfidio aspect (mine)?
All I have for you is sympathy, I'm afraid. Terrain Smashers and MFR laser drills & pre-chargers are the only craftable items that I know of. Invar Pick should have it IMO, is there any way to change the aspects in config? Is there a "Thaumic Tweaker" mod?

*Edit* psst, can I interest you in a Mana Bean? It is a farming pack, after all.

Last edited:

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
Here are a few things I've found in getting to Alumite.

One of the mods adds the recipe of bucket of lava, plus bucket of water, plus diamond pick = obsidian (you get the buckets and pick back). You can get diamond picks as infernal mob drops. Diamond picks can mine iron. So, if you are lucky and get a diamond pick as loot, you can instantly progress to alumite. (Jaded will probably remove this recipe at some point, although she might keep it since you can only get the loot by fighting infernal mobs.)

Grave robbing - Graves can hold redstone, iron and gold. Fully repaired weapons and armor can be smelted down into ingots. (TiC smeltery) The igneous extruder can make obsidian out of lava and water. If you come across some graves and get lucky in the loot, you can skip to alumite. you only need 2 redstone, 1 gold, 7 iron, and 2 tin :( to make the igneous extruder. This does let you skip the boost of the bronze pick to mine at diamond level, although you do have to reach the tin level first.

Always use a head. When leveling the boost on your pick, as long as you use a head and upgrade your pick before you get enough XP to boost it through use, you keep the boost XP gained. If you boost it completely by use, the boost XP starts over, so it takes a lot longer to boost to the next level. (this may be a bug)

Side note: Weapons do not currently get the damage boost afforded by upgrading your current weapon to new materials. You will need to remake your weapon often while progressing to alumite. (this is a bug)

Diamond picks should be at Stone mining level as thats the lowest I can make them. And the various mobs have had their loot tables changed, they should not be dropping diamond picks.[DOUBLEPOST=1392583561][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'm not yet on the latest version of the pack.. Does anyone know if the thaumcraft recipes have been tweaked? A good portion of the infusion recipes use iron swords, picks and axes. I know the iron axes are enabled (for the golem chop core), but not sure about the picks and swords. I've got a couple swords as loot, but it will take quite a few to use infusion enchanting to bring the sword of the zephyr up to sharpness V. The only other way I can think to do this is to bypass infusion enchanting and use the osmotic enchanter instead.

Thats why I turned the crafting recipes back on for the tools.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
Does anyone else have a hard time getting their head around all the agri mod recipie explination? Especially harvest craft. That text is barely comprehensible. Thinking of doing a thread on all that stuff in a way that is legible. Not sure if I want to do it broken down by ingrediant or by simple to complex. What do you think?

cannajan

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone else have a hard time getting their head around all the agri mod recipie explination? Especially harvest craft. That text is barely comprehensible. Thinking of doing a thread on all that stuff in a way that is legible. Not sure if I want to do it broken down by ingrediant or by simple to complex. What do you think?
this guide to harvestcraft might be what your looking for - there is an ingredient one on the forum page as well.
Also vegan book recipe or if you just can find cows - 1string 3paper 2blank stencils
Right? click on metal in smeltery controller to change the order

BIG mac

Jul 29, 2019
I kind of want to make a hardcore mode world with the harder configs, but I'm scared. What do those configs do?