[Listed] 1.7.10 - Simply Magic [HQM][Magic][Light][Tutorial-Themed]

Ashendale

Jul 29, 2019
I'm trying (very hard) not to touch Botania/Thaumcraft/Blood Magic to give Ars Magica and Aura casacade some attention. But I don't see how I can go to the Nether without Thaumium/Manasteel.

I need Earth Essence to make a Mining Power upgrade on Ars Magica, and for that I need Netherrack. Is this intentional, or am I missing something?

ZephyrWindSpirit

Jul 29, 2019
I'm trying (very hard) not to touch Botania/Thaumcraft/Blood Magic to give Ars Magica and Aura casacade some attention. But I don't see how I can go to the Nether without Thaumium/Manasteel.

I need Earth Essence to make a Mining Power upgrade on Ars Magica, and for that I need Netherrack. Is this intentional, or am I missing something?
If you delve into the rogue dungeons in the overworld, there is a nether floor on the bottom that has glowstone, netherrack and almost all the nether materials down there.
Otherwise, I'm not terribly sure. I haven't made my portal yet, I got lucky with getting to the bottom and puling up what I needed, but I'm going to shortly hit the problem of not enough glowstone/netherrack to make arcane ash.

Reactions: Ashendale

signupsucks

Jul 29, 2019
PS: If you find any diamond equipment dropped from mobs or from chests in the dungeon, keep them around. With the arcane reconstructor you can repair them, then throw them in the arcane deconstructor to turn them back into sticks/diamonds/etc. The deconstructor takes a diamond itself and a bunch of essences, plus the deficit crystal, which requires maybe 8 ender eyes + 4 blaze powders? if you don't find a blaze spawner in the nether part of the dungeon, look up the fel pumpkin in the botanica lexicon (unless you want to completely avoid any kind of botania thing; the pumpkin doesn't require any botania infrastructure at all, though).

Z

Zieg777

Earth Guardians also drop Earth Essence. (along with every other guardian and their respective essences). Note that this guy is HARD. I've found the best way to fight him (before getting his armor, in which case everything is easy) is to be above him and hit with ranged spells.. He seems to be able to walk through 2-block high passageways now, He used to be limited to 3 high. In all honesty, I fight this guardian first. His armor makes you incredibly strong. Combined with battlemage gear (when you get there, otherwise mage robes work well too), you're effectively immortal.

goth_child67

Jul 29, 2019
Thaumatic Harness and it's Ichorium upgrade are good.
Afaik Ars Magica and Witchery has flights too, but I don't know these mods well enough.
Botania as well has the flugel tiara. Ars magica has the flight spell but you would need several duration upgrades on it when you create it. Witchery has the broom which is a free flight but a slight pain due to it being controlled like a horse. My personal choice would be the thaumostatic harness or the ichorium upgraded version.

Reactions: Tylor

Desman

Sep 23, 2014
Witchery also has a gimmick bat infusion, which works like Botania Rod of the Skies (unlimited upward jump). Not quite flying, but very useful in certain situations.

Wither fight, and getting out of a tight spot (sssssss).

signupsucks

Jul 29, 2019
What is the best source of fly in this pack?

It's not the "best" source by any means (it acts kind of like a boat or horse, and you have to point up/down and move forward or backward to rise/fall) but the air guardian can drop the air sled. Right click from your hotbar to drop it, right click the airsled-mob to mount. lshift/sneak while mounted to dismount. If dismounted, lshift-sneak the airsled-mob to turn it back into an entity that you can pick up - which is incredibly useful to know since, in my experience, it despawns very quickly if you travel away from it.

By far, its most useful attribute is the fact it is soulbound by default. This means if you die somewhere, if you have the item in your inventory, it'll be in your inventory when you respawn. Useful for getting back to where you died. But it has to be in your direct inventory and not, for example, in rift storage.

The air guardian can be annoying to fight but once you learn him he's not so hard. I killed him well before I had access to any other forms of flight. (Well, I never started witchery, not 100% sure how easy its broom is to get.)

Z

Zieg777

What is the best source of fly in this pack?

Ars magica has the flight spell but you would need several duration upgrades on it when you create it.

To add to this, I love the AM2 flight spell. It does cost a nether star to make though. I usually wait til I can add duration to it, but it's by no means required. Generally I recharge the spent mana long before the spell runs out. I'd also add some speed upgrades, because why not?

Another unmentioned one is Blood Magic potions. A feather is the ingredient. These do not last long, but can be improved with higher level lengthening catalysts. Two things to note: 1, they can be refilled the "proper" way with refilling agents; 2, They can be repaired the "improper" way by throwing them in an AM2 arcane restorer/repairer thingy..

8 drinks of 5 minutes of flight? Yes please

Tylor

Nov 24, 2012
Is Blood Magic worth dabbling in, btw? Last time I tried it it was boring grindfest.

Ashendale

Jul 29, 2019
Depends on how you approach it. Self sacrificing is very grindy and boring. But maybe with the Botania regenerating flower nearby you can make it faster.

Now, if you set up a fast producing mob farm (or villager farm; I won't judge) you can make it much faster and automatic with the ritual of th feathered knife.

I say "fast producing" at least for the third(if I'm not mistaken) orb, where you need mor blood than your altar can hold. Unless you have some runes upgrading the capacity.

But once/if you set a form of automated farming, you'll end up with more blood than you can use.

(I am, obviously, not considering the ritual to summon the demon invasion to get the last orb, as it will drain your pool completely)

Edit: forgot to mention that the transmutations involving the altar can make it even more boring.

Unless you automate it. Not sure how/if you can do it in this pack. But from my experience on techy packs, you will have minimal blood loss with automatic systems, as the output is only sucked out once it is recognized as being an output.

For example, a slate will start transmutating into a superior tier almost instantly oif it is not manually pulled out. However, if you are using an automated blood farm this is irrelephant.

Last edited:

goth_child67

Jul 29, 2019
Depends on how you approach it. Self sacrificing is very grindy and boring. But maybe with the Botania regenerating flower nearby you can make it faster.

Now, if you set up a fast producing mob farm (or villager farm; I won't judge) you can make it much faster and automatic with the ritual of th feathered knife.

I say "fast producing" at least for the third(if I'm not mistaken) orb, where you need mor blood than your altar can hold. Unless you have some runes upgrading the capacity.

But once/if you set a form of automated farming, you'll end up with more blood than you can use.

(I am, obviously, not considering the ritual to summon the demon invasion to get the last orb, as it will drain your pool completely)

Edit: forgot to mention that the transmutations involving the altar can make it even more boring.

Unless you automate it. Not sure how/if you can do it in this pack. But from my experience on techy packs, you will have minimal blood loss with automatic systems, as the output is only sucked out once it is recognized as being an output.

For example, a slate will start transmutating into a superior tier almost instantly oif it is not manually pulled out. However, if you are using an automated blood farm this is irrelephant.
Thaumcraft golems can automate it. Altar diviners from sanguimancy automate it extremely well.

Ashendale

Jul 29, 2019
My progression on this pack has been very slow (learning stuff and trying to do stuff while mining the least amount of diamonds before getting prosperity) mainly due to the fact that I'm focusing on AM2 and Aura Cascade.

I've been spoiled with technology...

Reactions: BaileyH

Ashendale

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone else having issues with Nether Portals? I went in, got my stuff, got back... About 100 blocks away from my initial portal, creating a new portal. The new Overworld portal and Nether portal connect both ways. My original Overwolrd portal (Overwolrd->Nether) only works 1 way. Ideas?

Edit: I did some searching and found/confirmed that your Nether coordinates should be ~1/8 of your Overworld coordinates. I copied my world and did some tampering and searching on creative mode and found that my ~-285, -201, 114 coordinates translate in the bottom most lava pit of the nether riiiiight above bedrock... Does this have something to do with ATG?

Opinions?

Last edited:

goth_child67

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone else having issues with Nether Portals? I went in, got my stuff, got back... About 100 blocks away from my initial portal, creating a new portal. The new Overworld portal and Nether portal connect both ways. My original Overwolrd portal (Overwolrd->Nether) only works 1 way. Ideas?

Edit: I did some searching and found/confirmed that your Nether coordinates should be ~1/8 of your Overworld coordinates. I copied my world and did some tampering and searching on creative mode and found that my ~-285, -201, 114 coordinates translate in the bottom most lava pit of the nether riiiiight above bedrock... Does this have something to do with ATG?

Opinions?
I know in 1.6 or 1.7 minecraft that they changed the way nether portals worked and if it would put you into the bottom of lava or over nothing that it would spawn on the nearest place it could.

NoxVindicta

Jul 29, 2019
Thaumatic Harness and it's Ichorium upgrade are good.
Afaik Ars Magica and Witchery has flights too, but I don't know these mods well enough.
I played on a Hubris server once where someone made a flight spell. It was glitchy and would stop working but the effect given was still there and had to go away before it would work again. It also required nether stars.

OmniKhaos77

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone have an Aura Node setup that will power the Cascading Synthesizer? All of the setups that I have seen no longer work...I can get production up to 3800 or so, but never higher.
The super setups using the Violet Aura tend to build until a point, then zer0 out and start again...
Help!