Lets See Some Bases! Give Us a Tour!

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
@Ringgeest11: Awesome fortress, love the barber pole of doom. I do have one point of interest. LP does not seem to like Railcraft Boilers for some reasons. I'm not sure if I did something wrong, but it did not want to pull charcoal out of a steam oven, or chest to put into a boiler. So you'll want to make sure that does work with it if you go that route. Might work better with liquids, or you might have something else in mind. Just a comment.

Bashful Giant

Jul 29, 2019
@Ringgeest11: Awesome fortress, love the barber pole of doom. I do have one point of interest. LP does not seem to like Railcraft Boilers for some reasons. I'm not sure if I did something wrong, but it did not want to pull charcoal out of a steam oven, or chest to put into a boiler. So you'll want to make sure that does work with it if you go that route. Might work better with liquids, or you might have something else in mind. Just a comment.

Alternatively, create charcoal with several powered furnaces, with the output touching the boiler. I think you need about 8 at first, but over time the number reduces to 2 as the boiler heats up. Supplier Logistics pipes can be used to keep the furnaces topped up.

ringgeest11

Jul 29, 2019
that spiral in the middle looks cool and the logistic pipe idea sounds great

Thank you! =D

When I was tinkering with the Liquiducts it did seem like they were not pumping out enough of the available steam. The engines are running just fine though. Perhaps I could get more steam in them once I put more engines on them? Thing is, I am not exactly sure what the maximum amount of engines is two Liquid fueled 3x3x4 boilers can power. My calculations said 9, but that appears to be quite low and should have been per boiler instead for the two combined.

On that same note, sorry I didn't notice this sooner, but I did put Liquid Fueled Fireboxes under them =) I have one Tesseract for each of them that should get biofuel/fueled pumped in. I might be able to do it with proper piping, but that has low priority. I have never been too fond of those teleport items and I am trying to keep a physical network throughout the entire Base and (eventuel) surrounding farms and mines.

Alternatively, create charcoal with several powered furnaces, with the output touching the boiler. I think you need about 8 at first, but over time the number reduces to 2 as the boiler heats up. Supplier Logistics pipes can be used to keep the furnaces topped up.

Logistic pipes also have a liquid interface nowadays right? I kinda forget all about them, but this brings up a couple of ideas for the layout. Thanks =)

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
The more connections you have with liquiducts the more steam you can pull, I believe nine is the maximum you need. I know I've seen Direwolf using 15 off of one, plus a steam turbine.

ringgeest11

Jul 29, 2019
So with one liquiduct I can supply steam for 9 engines? I think this also means that this means that per boiler I can get 9 engines running?

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
So with one liquiduct I can supply steam for 9 engines? I think this also means that this means that per boiler I can get 9 engines running?
A 36HP boiler can feed 18 industrial engines (8 MJ/t*18 = 144 MJ/t) with its 720 mB steam/t. Each unpowered liquiduct can accept 80 mB/t from the boiler, so you need 9 liquiduct connections to the boiler. The liquiduct system itself can without a hitch transport the full 720 mB/t. At your target just connect the 18 engines to the liquiducts (each engine uses 40 mB/t).

Reactions: ringgeest11

einsteinsci

Jul 29, 2019
Alright here goes,
Never really bothered with the look of things and mostly went for functional. If something was needed, it was added. Not sooner and not later. Ofcourse this meant for some messy 'designs' in the end. This time I came around I plotted a nice piece of land and went off building.
oDNCGzd.jpg

It is still quite a WIP as you can see.

I am not taking screenshots of every angle just yet, that will have to wait till the rooms are operational.
In the center, the big pillar, is the area in which the CORE is going to be. The 'CORE' being nothing more than a vast storage area and logistical network throughout the base mostly in the form of ME with perhaps some liquid piping and/or cabling for energy.
In the front, hwere you see the two ME cables sticking out, is the Auto Crafting area. There are 8 of them in there. Each is 4x4x4, has 1 pattern provider and the rest is CPU's. in the opposing room there are Steam ovens, for mass cooking all food that will come in from farms. Only cooking though, no melting.
Above the Ovens are three Liquid Fireboxes HL Boilers. 3x3x4. All of them have their own water pump, Liquid Tesseract and piping. One boiler powers the Steam Ovens down below, and the two other boilers power 9 Industrial Steam Engines. Their power is stored in RedStone power cells for later use when the base is more complete.
Each level starts with a row of chiseled Quartz. As you can see, this means there are three rooms in the back and two in the Crafting area.
The level that is above the crafting area and the Steam Ovens, is going to be part of the logistical network. The height is minimal in comparison to other rooms and walking in them without ever having to cross a cable is impossible. This level will be used to pump liquids throughout the base as well as be the skeleton of the ME network, where the central Spiral is representing its backbone.
Everything that comes into the base is first routed to the CORE and later distributed throughout the base in upcoming rooms.
Not all space is accounted for yet, so suggestions on what kind of rooms I can implement are welcome.
Currently the following rooms are accounted for:

-AutoCrafting room +potentional upgrade
-Food Ovens
-Boiler area
-Power gen MJ
-Power gen EU
-Thaumcraft is to be considered, due to the tech feel of the base
-Liquid processing plant
-Biofuel/plant material processing

Interesting setup. I like that you did your whole house on a river. I suggest using the MPS power tool though, and Thermal expansion powered furnaces for food ovens. They are extremely efficient and fast at cooking food items. I'm amazed at how much quartz you were able to rack up, all of the quartz I had left over from the AE network I put straight into the stairs of my tech room. What fuel are you using for your boilers? I don't know what will be most effective in large quantities. You should add in a room/section for a thaumcraft/mystcraft setup. It won't be much use to you now (though mystcraft mining ages might help), but it will look really cool. I also think an MFFS defense area will be interesting. I think that should be my last addition to my nerd fortress. Awesome base, I can't wait until it's finished.

Willsy

Jul 29, 2019
All the bases are all so puuurdy!
I am currentely working on a base for all my tree breeding that will contain the machines an AE system for logs and other stuff.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

ringgeest11

Jul 29, 2019
Interesting setup. I like that you did your whole house on a river. I suggest using the MPS power tool though, and Thermal expansion powered furnaces for food ovens. They are extremely efficient and fast at cooking food items. I'm amazed at how much quartz you were able to rack up, all of the quartz I had left over from the AE network I put straight into the stairs of my tech room. What fuel are you using for your boilers? I don't know what will be most effective in large quantities. You should add in a room/section for a thaumcraft/mystcraft setup. It won't be much use to you now (though mystcraft mining ages might help), but it will look really cool. I also think an MFFS defense area will be interesting. I think that should be my last addition to my nerd fortress. Awesome base, I can't wait until it's finished.

Well to be completely fair, I cannot take credit for acquiring the quartz. I build it semi-creative =) I tried playing survival and played it for long times on end, but I am at a stage I want to build interesting buildings that are beautiful to me and functional. Preferably a base that is theoretically able to provide for more than one player at once ^^.

I am not quite familiar with the Power tools MPS provides. For the ovens however, I decided to go with the steam ovens on purpose. Mostly because I like multipart sturctures and secondly because it was something I had never tried before and havent seen anyone use... probably because of efficiency problems? Regardless, food is less of an issue when you get enough honey to make plenty of honeyed slices. I believe they give you 5 food? So cooking food is more a luxury for the fancy players ;D
I am looking to hook up regular BC fuel or Biofuel from forestry to keep them running. Last game I aboneded halfway because of some strange glitch/bug I encountered that made my game crash when I was messing with the farms.
As for the efficiency of those two: Fuel is THE most effective fuel to fire liquid fireboxes with. Biofuel is second, but even that is at like two thirds of the efficiency regular fuel from oil provides. My numbers may be a bit off, but it is quite a big difference between the two.

A thaumcraft is being considered. Yes it will look cool, but due to the visual appearance of them, I might want to build them seperate elsewhere. The base is supposed to have this Tech-like feel and I think Thaumcraft might treathen that position a bit.
As for Mystcraft, that is indeed a good idea. A portal room of some sorts has all sorts of uses.

I dont really want to rely on force fields to 'secure' the base though. Some protection will be put around the CORE, but I like my bases to be as accesible as possible to the public. I am more of a teamplayer that way I think.

And thanks! There is still tons and tons of work to do and many hours to come to finish it. Once finished, I might put it in a dedicated thread here depending on support.

einsteinsci

Jul 29, 2019
Well to be completely fair, I cannot take credit for acquiring the quartz. I build it semi-creative =) I tried playing survival and played it for long times on end, but I am at a stage I want to build interesting buildings that are beautiful to me and functional. Preferably a base that is theoretically able to provide for more than one player at once ^^.

I am not quite familiar with the Power tools MPS provides. For the ovens however, I decided to go with the steam ovens on purpose. Mostly because I like multipart sturctures and secondly because it was something I had never tried before and havent seen anyone use... probably because of efficiency problems? Regardless, food is less of an issue when you get enough honey to make plenty of honeyed slices. I believe they give you 5 food? So cooking food is more a luxury for the fancy players ;D
I am looking to hook up regular BC fuel or Biofuel from forestry to keep them running. Last game I aboneded halfway because of some strange glitch/bug I encountered that made my game crash when I was messing with the farms.
As for the efficiency of those two: Fuel is THE most effective fuel to fire liquid fireboxes with. Biofuel is second, but even that is at like two thirds of the efficiency regular fuel from oil provides. My numbers may be a bit off, but it is quite a big difference between the two.

A thaumcraft is being considered. Yes it will look cool, but due to the visual appearance of them, I might want to build them seperate elsewhere. The base is supposed to have this Tech-like feel and I think Thaumcraft might treathen that position a bit.
As for Mystcraft, that is indeed a good idea. A portal room of some sorts has all sorts of uses.

I dont really want to rely on force fields to 'secure' the base though. Some protection will be put around the CORE, but I like my bases to be as accesible as possible to the public. I am more of a teamplayer that way I think.

And thanks! There is still tons and tons of work to do and many hours to come to finish it. Once finished, I might put it in a dedicated thread here depending on support.

I did the semi-creative thing a lot. In my FTB Ultimate world, I ran out of marble so I cheated it in to finish the ginormous house I was making. I can never get very far with bee breeding. It seems like a lot of work, and doesn't seem like much payoff. Is there a way to do more than just breed->replace->breed->replace and hope to get lucky on certain breeds? Also force bricks are awesome.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Blech. I want more tropical bees for silk wisps, but they're hard to find, and since they're poisonous... Actually I think I'm going to make a Talisman of Remedium from Thaumic Tinkerer. I want the Silk wisps so I can enlarge my Backpacks. I'd like the Apiarist's armors for MPS, but I'm not using MPS boots, so I can't have a full set. I'll settle for mostly protected.

Also, on MFFS force fields: I wouldn't for example, try to surround your base in them, instead I'd use small area of effect fields as 'mob locks'. Basically two 3x3x3 cubes connected by a 1x1x2 doorway. On the bottom is a pressure plate. The inner and outer 'locks' have mob killing fields in them, so if you're being chased by zombies or creepers, running through the lock kills them for you, so you only need the fields on when it's time to wipe them out, and otherwise they're not running and not using power.

On topic: My Twilight Forest Treehouse:

I built it on top of one of the smaller twilight oaks. Turns out they're hollow and have a spider spawner and a loot chest.

The treehouse itself. The stained glass is intended to look like aircraft lights, and to make it easier to find my way back.

The awesome microblock stairs. Because it's a little cramped inside.

And the Link book back to my wizard's tower.

I'll probably add another LP/AE link like I have in the wizards tower here, so I can get stuff easier, but for now it's pretty awesome as is.

ringgeest11

Jul 29, 2019
I did the semi-creative thing a lot. In my FTB Ultimate world, I ran out of marble so I cheated it in to finish the ginormous house I was making. I can never get very far with bee breeding. It seems like a lot of work, and doesn't seem like much payoff. Is there a way to do more than just breed->replace->breed->replace and hope to get lucky on certain breeds? Also force bricks are awesome.
Bee breeding is quite a bit of luck, but you can increase your odds by breedings certain species of bees together to get to another certain type of bee. Not all bees have a chance to mutate their genes into a specific other kind. In the end it does pay off. You can get some very cool items from them that otherwise are time consuming or would need to be done partially manually.
So in addition to the specific bee breeding above, there are a couple of other things you want to be aware of (I am not aware of your current knowledge, so please excuse me if I state something obvious to you):
- Only when a drone is bred with a different queen there is a chance of mutation. You will only find this in their offspring.
- To maximize the chances of good mutations to continue (faster breeders, climate resistence, etc) use a beealyser to analyse the newly bred offspring from the crossbred bees.
- Using the data you gathered you can choose what to do next. If nothing worthwhile happened, simply try again. However I think it is quite rare to get a perfect 'copy' so to speak of your existing queen when crossbreeding.
- When your data has some interesting results, for example they are partially mutated into a different species, you can keep the drone/queen and wait for the queen/drone to get the same. Other effects are increased resistence of climate and other stats like mentioned before ;)
- When you have a queen and a drone that both have a partial mutation into a next species (for example, a Forest/culvated queen and a Forest/Cultivated Drone) you should attempt to breed them. Chances are best at this point for the new queen to become the newly found cultivated Queen.
- Rinse and repeat untill you have arrived at the desirable bee and/or simply ran out of other new species to be found =)

That is pretty much how you can maximize your chances of getting the queen and produce you want and are looknig for. Do keep in mind, try to keep atl east one pure couple for each species! Like a Forest/Forest queen and drone, a Meadows/Meadows Queen and drone or for example your new found Cultivated/Cultivated queen and drone.
Do this so you can always get more bees from a certain species to try crossbreeding with for species you have not tried with before. It will save you lots of time compared to having to go through an entire breeding process again hoping to get the desired species again.

Reactions: PhantomRage

einsteinsci

Jul 29, 2019
Bee breeding is quite a bit of luck, but you can increase your odds by breedings certain species of bees together to get to another certain type of bee. Not all bees have a chance to mutate their genes into a specific other kind. In the end it does pay off. You can get some very cool items from them that otherwise are time consuming or would need to be done partially manually.
So in addition to the specific bee breeding above, there are a couple of other things you want to be aware of (I am not aware of your current knowledge, so please excuse me if I state something obvious to you):
- Only when a drone is bred with a different queen there is a chance of mutation. You will only find this in their offspring.
- To maximize the chances of good mutations to continue (faster breeders, climate resistence, etc) use a beealyser to analyse the newly bred offspring from the crossbred bees.
- Using the data you gathered you can choose what to do next. If nothing worthwhile happened, simply try again. However I think it is quite rare to get a perfect 'copy' so to speak of your existing queen when crossbreeding.
- When your data has some interesting results, for example they are partially mutated into a different species, you can keep the drone/queen and wait for the queen/drone to get the same. Other effects are increased resistence of climate and other stats like mentioned before ;)
- When you have a queen and a drone that both have a partial mutation into a next species (for example, a Forest/culvated queen and a Forest/Cultivated Drone) you should attempt to breed them. Chances are best at this point for the new queen to become the newly found cultivated Queen.
- Rinse and repeat untill you have arrived at the desirable bee and/or simply ran out of other new species to be found =)

That is pretty much how you can maximize your chances of getting the queen and produce you want and are looknig for. Do keep in mind, try to keep atl east one pure couple for each species! Like a Forest/Forest queen and drone, a Meadows/Meadows Queen and drone or for example your new found Cultivated/Cultivated queen and drone.
Do this so you can always get more bees from a certain species to try crossbreeding with for species you have not tried with before. It will save you lots of time compared to having to go through an entire breeding process again hoping to get the desired species again.

Thanks! I think in my next game I'll start doing that before I get electricity.

Jul 29, 2019
If only i had stuff to put here. I dont because i'm waiting for 1.6, playing on a friends server to help them out. Can show pics of what they're doing if u want

ringgeest11

Jul 29, 2019
hey guys! Thought I'd give you all a quick update on how the base is progressing. Not too much work has been done. It looks like a lot, but it really wasn't that much. A lot of still empty space after all...

Anyways here goes!

Over here you can see the first Framework prototype on how to do the roofing of the base. Not antirely satisfied with it and due to some internal space issues it got redone a bit
EesgnhQ.jpg

So the next version I was satisfied with and I started to do the roofing. I tried some different kinds of glass, but decided that I liked this specific one best. Some minor adjustmenst were made after this screeny was taken.
RndbsE2.jpg

As for CORE, it is sort of working. It is functional and most drives will stay where they are now. Maybe some will be removed to make room for cabling and/or piping.
They are a total of 736 (I think?) Drives, each listing a total of 650k storage. Due to some issues I am having I currently disabled power requirements for the ME network. Apparently pumping in 2k eu/t wasnt nearly enough.
RQZQO0i.jpg

L9z1F8v.png

The last picture is about what I am doing with those two housings.
A farm!
TYnUQk0.jpg