Launcher v2 Update!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Your obviously not a programmer. Code is not automatically protected by any type of law. In fact, from as long as I've been coding, any code or program released without an explicit license was always considered public domain. this is why so many different licenses exist now.

Might be the case wherever you're from but in Europe code is AUTOMATICALLY protected by copyright laws without any form of license or copyright notice or whatever.

Kazekai

Jul 29, 2019
Might be the case wherever you're from but in Europe code is AUTOMATICALLY protected by copyright laws without any form of license or copyright notice or whatever.

It's the same in America. It's protected in the same way all art or IP is protected.

Your obviously not a programmer. Code is not automatically protected by any type of law. In fact, from as long as I've been coding, any code or program released without an explicit license was always considered public domain. this is why so many different licenses exist now.

It's "you're" not "your."

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
It's the same in America. It's protected in the same way all art or IP is protected.

Software (code specifically) counts as a unique and creative work, and therefore from the moment it is created it has copyright. You cannot copyright an idea, however unique implementations of ideas can have copyright. Some examples of copyright protected works would be things like paintings, songs, movies, and literary works.

Per Pahimar's description, sourced by wikipedia

Reactions: QueWhat

Captainnana

Jul 29, 2019
Ugggh I hate legal stuff, code is copyrighted meaning you can't just go round including it in modpacks without asking unless the author of the code says you can. We respect the wishes of the mod authors and that is how it will stay. Code is not public domain "Works in the public domain are those whose intellectual property rights have expired, have been forfeited, or are inapplicable." Well the rights have not expired, some authors do choose to forfeit the rights but that is their choice and copyright is applicable to code as it is a creative work. Even if this was not the case some mods are closed source and therefore their code would have never been in the public domain and thus it can't be distributed without their agreement.

Reactions: Eyamaz

Kazekai

Jul 29, 2019
Ugggh I hate legal stuff, code is copyrighted meaning you can't just go round including it in modpacks without asking unless the author of the code says you can. We respect the wishes of the mod authors and that is how it will stay. Code is not public domain "Works in the public domain are those whose intellectual property rights have expired, have been forfeited, or are inapplicable." Well the rights have not expired, some authors do choose to forfeit the rights but that is their choice and copyright is applicable to code as it is a creative work. Even if this was not the case some mods are closed source and therefore their code would have never been in the public domain and thus it can't be distributed without their agreement.

I still don't see the issue with modpacks, it's exactly the same as someone including a piece of artwork in a dA group folder. They still get credit for it.

Besides, it makes it harder on the rest of us when we have to either send out our packs to people individually or find a roundabout way of distributing them to people who play on our servers, which I currently have to do both for mine. It's a pain that never needs to exist, I've never had that issue with Garry's Mod and I've never had that issue with DOOM mods, why is Minecraft so different? What makes Minecraft such a special snowflake?

Maybe when Mojang stops dragging their feet with mod support they'll implement a tool for server players to download all the mods on a server automatically like how games made with a modded DOOM engine work. (SRB2 being one of them) Then it'll be significantly less of a headache. Hopefully mod support in general will be less of a headache by then, wouldn't it be wonderful if ID conflicts weren't a problem? I bet that would erase concerns on both ends.

Captainnana

Jul 29, 2019
I still don't see the issue with modpacks, it's exactly the same as someone including a piece of artwork in a dA group folder. They still get credit for it.

Besides, it makes it harder on the rest of us when we have to either send out our packs to people individually or find a roundabout way of distributing them to people who play on our servers, which I currently have to do both for mine. It's a pain that never needs to exist, I've never had that issue with Garry's Mod and I've never had that issue with DOOM mods, why is Minecraft so different? What makes Minecraft such a special snowflake?

Maybe when Mojang stops dragging their feet with mod support they'll implement a tool for server players to download all the mods on a server automatically like how games made with a modded DOOM engine work. (SRB2 being one of them) Then it'll be significantly less of a headache. Hopefully mod support in general will be less of a headache by then, wouldn't it be wonderful if ID conflicts weren't a problem? I bet that would erase concerns on both ends.

If mod authors don't want to distribute their mods in modpacks that's how it will be here at FTB, we will always continue to honor the rights of mod authors. A dA group folder is different because every user of dA knows that that will happen, in minecraft people can wish for that not to happen and that is what we do here.

Reactions: Thuulstrea

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
I apparently have to sit and have a very very long discussion with my legal advisor, and possibly find a new one.

notawallplan

Jul 29, 2019
Its good to see that the FTB launcher is getting a overhaul. Though id need to say that I like eyecandy as long as there is 2X the functonality behind it, after all thats what updates are for, right?

Edit- AND CAN WE STOP TALKING ABOUT LEGAL STUFF, PLEASE???
MODMAKERS WILL SAY WHITHER IT IS FOR PUBLIC USE OR PRIVATE USE.
HAPPY NOW?:mad:

QueWhat

Jul 29, 2019
The following is a reiteration of Captainnana's previous statements:

While we appreciate and respect the varied opinions of the community on this and other topics; our position on this matter is inarguable. We will never introduce a mod into any of the modpacks within our launcher without first ensuring that verifiable permissions have been granted by the creator(s)/owner(s) of such mod to either ourselves, or to the 3rd party requesting introduction of their modpack into our launcher (click here, here, here, and here to read more about our permission requirements and other pertinent information). While we may not be experts in the field of foreign and domestic copyright laws (etc..) we follow through with our interpretation of such said laws and their applicability to the mods, for the following primary reasons:
  1. Legal compliance and avoidance of liability.
  2. Out of pure respect for those that are responsible for sacrificing their own time to create the mods we all enjoy.
While this post by no means is meant to discourage further respectful discussions of the topic within the appropriate sub-forum and thread(s), it does serve to inform the public on our official stance. (Keep in mind the Global Mods may see it fit to ban this subject from discussion within our forums at any time, they are allowed to do so.)

TL;DR: We will not distribute a mod without permission from its author; this will not change.

Jazzify55

Jul 29, 2019
I'm just nervous that all the extra packs are gonna be removed cause I love the New World Modpack.

BanzaiBlitz

Jul 29, 2019
Why would they do that all of a sudden when it doesn't interfere with their own packs and is a nice feature in it's own right for third-party packs available on the launcher?

Relax and ponder a sec. Reduces paranoia. :)

Most easily forgotten in politics. :eek:

SizzleBacon

Jul 29, 2019
I'm just nervous that all the extra packs are gonna be removed cause I love the New World Modpack.

I hope they do remove all the extra packs. When I launch FTB I don't want to see every bodies packs and mods listed in with the ones I want to play. Unfortunately it does not remember filter settings. So it means a lot more stuff I have to scroll through to get to the thing I want. I think you should be able to 'pin' your favorite packs on the front page of the launcher. And if you just want to see all the available packs, have a separate page. Or page of the website dedicated to codes for those packs. Don't just have them thrown in there with everything else.

Captainnana

Jul 29, 2019

I hope they do remove all the extra packs. When I launch FTB I don't want to see every bodies packs and mods listed in with the ones I want to play. Unfortunately it does not remember filter settings. So it means a lot more stuff I have to scroll through to get to the thing I want. I think you should be able to 'pin' your favorite packs on the front page of the launcher. And if you just want to see all the available packs, have a separate page. Or page of the website dedicated to codes for those packs. Don't just have them thrown in there with everything else.

The third party packs will be staying and the filter settings will be better. The packs you use most will be at the top of the list so that they are easy to find so you don't have to worry about all the other packs.

ewsmith

Jul 29, 2019
The third party packs will be staying and the filter settings will be better. The packs you use most will be at the top of the list so that they are easy to find so you don't have to worry about all the other packs.
Will it have a 'default filter' that it shows from the start? Is so, can we selectively exclude/include specific packs?

Captainnana

Jul 29, 2019
Will it have a 'default filter' that it shows from the start? Is so, can we selectively exclude/include specific packs?

To be fair I find that kinda pointless because if you don't ever use a pack it will be well down the list and so cause you no problem. Its like a google search, it shows you 1 billion results but you only ever look at the first 20 because those are the most relevant

ewsmith

Jul 29, 2019
To be fair I find that kinda pointless because if you don't ever use a pack it will be well down the list and so cause you no problem. Its like a google search, it shows you 1 billion results but you only ever look at the first 20 because those are the most relevant
I was actually thinking about only showing the packs I use. It's more of a personal preferance and I can easily do with out it, but I like having everything look clean.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
Two things I would love to see:

Integrated world backup. Click on a button and backup a single world, all worlds for a specific modpack, or all worlds for all modpacks. This would make it easier for the average user instead of manually copying files and help if your world becomes corrupted. Maybe even an option to automatically backup a modpacks worlds when it's launched and a configurable keep x backups.

The ability to keep more than one version of a modpack downloaded at once. If I want ultimate 1.0.1 and 1.1.2, I shouldn't need to redownload, or manually copy the files, to have them both.

Captainnana

Jul 29, 2019
Two things I would love to see:

Integrated world backup. Click on a button and backup a single world, all worlds for a specific modpack, or all worlds for all modpacks. This would make it easier for the average user instead of manually copying files and help if your world becomes corrupted. Maybe even an option to automatically backup a modpacks worlds when it's launched and a configurable keep x backups.

The ability to keep more than one version of a modpack downloaded at once. If I want ultimate 1.0.1 and 1.1.2, I shouldn't need to redownload, or manually copy the files, to have them both.

Yep, both those features are already planned :)

Reactions: QueWhat

SizzleBacon

Jul 29, 2019

Sounds good enough for me. As long as there is an easy way to get to the mod packs I play the most.

Yep, both those features are already planned :)

Sounds like an awesome feature! I will totally be using this.

RoxyLuffer

Jul 29, 2019
Can't wait for this, it looks so sexy, and the fact that i won't have to go to Vanilla launcher to load my Vanilla MC will be bloody amazing. So Excited. Thank you FTB Crew!

Status
Not open for further replies.