Jampacked Update. Where are the results?

CaptPanda

Nov 20, 2012
Britland
Ehhh, I'm not to keen on the idea of updating my packs to 1.7, although I do suppose it's entirely possible. But if things crash, it's on your head, slowpoke! :p

In my current position, I can't really see myself doing much, but if we do have to, then I suppose I can make my next update 1.7.

Gatzenberg

Jul 29, 2019
If you do this again do you know if there will be any chance that residents of Canada will be eligible for prizes?

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
What Canadian law are you referring to? I know of no such law that would prevent someone from winning a competition's prize....
Or were you being silly? Internets, can't tell...

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Those laws are in effect for contests that involve purchases.
This is also referring to those annoying telemarketer calls that say you won a prize, you just need to go to a time share sales meeting to claim your prize.

This competition, though, had no point of sale for an entry to win, and I'm not sure about the prize description part. The chances of winning was not described, because there was no way of knowing the amount of valid entries. Was a prize actually stated in the original post?

Youtuber's do it all the time with free game give aways. Not once has VintageBeef ever had to stipulate that the contest was only open to residents in Canada (as he is one of us)

I'm going to guess the part you are referring to specifically is this:
INTERNET CONTESTS & PROMOTIONS

The Competition Bureau also takes the position that the promotional contest provisions of the Competition Act, as well as the general misleading advertising provisions, apply to Internet marketing and advertising. In this regard, the Bureau’s view is that special considerations may apply online to ensure that the required statutory disclosure for contests is met:

“Pursuant to section 74.06 of the Act, in contests designed to promote a product or business interest, adequate and fair disclosure must be made of certain information, including facts which materially affect the chances of winning. … The Bureau takes the position that all required disclosures must be displayed in such a way that they are likely to be read. In the context of representations made on-line, what is considered adequately displayed will depend on the format and design of the Web site. For example, a notice of a contest should not require readers to take an active step, such as sending an e-mail or placing a phone call, in order to obtain the required information. The Bureau does not consider clicking on a clearly labelled hyperlink as being an ‘active step.’”

Again, I see no reason as to why the FTB team can not continue with the awarding of prizes based on this. There is no "promotion of business" intent (unless you wish to argue that the contest would drive more traffic to FTB, but even then, that is a weak argument, as it was stipulated that the packs would be hosted on the FTB launcher, giving the pack creator a better chance of being seen/downloaded)

Again, this legislation is in regards to people/businesses that would use the claim of a prize to trick a "winner" into clicking a link, or signing a contract.

I can not see any legal reasons why a prize should be withheld on the grounds of "Blame Canada".

*Note* I should state that I have no real vested interest in the giving of prizes, as I did not enter, nor have I had time to play any of the entries yet. Hell, I haven't even taken the time to see Let's Plays of any of the custom maps since GenericB's Agrarian Skies.

Last edited:
Reactions: pc_assassin

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Those laws are in effect for contests that involve purchases.
This is also referring to those annoying telemarketer calls that say you won a prize, you just need to go to a time share sales meeting to claim your prize.

This competition, though, had no point of sale for an entry to win, and I'm not sure about the prize description part. The chances of winning was not described, because there was no way of knowing the amount of valid entries. Was a prize actually stated in the original post?

Youtuber's do it all the time with free game give aways. Not once has VintageBeef ever had to stipulate that the contest was only open to residents in Canada (as he is one of us)

I'm going to guess the part you are referring to specifically is this:

Again, I see no reason as to why the FTB team can not continue with the awarding of prizes based on this. There is no "promotion of business" intent (unless you wish to argue that the contest would drive more traffic to FTB, but even then, that is a weak argument, as it was stipulated that the packs would be hosted on the FTB launcher, giving the pack creator a better chance of being seen/downloaded)

Again, this legislation is in regards to people/businesses that would use the claim of a prize to trick a "winner" into clicking a link, or signing a contract.

I can not see any legal reasons why a prize should be withheld on the grounds of "Blame Canada".

*Note* I should state that I have no real vested interest in the giving of prizes, as I did not enter, nor have I had time to play any of the entries yet. Hell, I haven't even taken the time to see Let's Plays of any of the custom maps since GenericB's Agrarian Skies.

Funny... Every forum I've been a part of that had any kind of giveaway has quoted this law as reason for Canada being exempt, many of which have full legal departments advising them (Warner Bros. for one). There are other countries where extra tariff/taxes have to be paid by the contest sponsor, that's another reason.

Heck, there are even states in the US with laws making such contests difficult.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Those contests (especially from large companies like Warner Bros.) are not like this contest. I would think that large American corporations are more looking at revenue and privacy laws, rather than "can we send a prize to Canuckistan?"

Hell, look at the Price is Right. They have Canadians win on there, and they don't get told they do not qualify, and they had to do even less than the pack makers here to win something.

From this side of the 49th, it has always been accepted that we Nanook of the North's were not allowed to even compete in American competitions due to IRS reasons.

We don't pay taxes on winnings. If we win something, we win it. I know, right? If I won the $10 million lottery, I get $10 million.

There are also the American Corporation fears of legal reprisals from not delivering exactly what the prize is stated as, this too may have to do with the IRS wanting their cut, and it would involve a somewhat lengthy process involving claim forms from the Canada Revenue Agency, claims of residence at the time of the entry/winning.

Looking at the content of the applicable law (The part about internet) only points to things involving advertising, creations of contracts, and methods to agree/accept said terms and conditions.

The linked law does not apply to this contest.

There is no design to promote a business, as there has been no external advertising of the contest done by the FTB team. This contest was not used to promote the FTB launcher, nor it's sponsors, or server hosts.
If anything, the FTB team was going to be paying for the extra bandwidth used for uploads/downloads of the packs, with no point of purchase by the entrants to cover the costs.

I do not see any misleading advertising, nor anything involving misleading links or actions to agree to or accept the rules of the competition.

Just hand out the prizes! (I would like to know who won LOL)

Gamingjg

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a webpage with all the entries and links to try them out?

I tried going through the 3rd party mods forum, but some packs are in Jam Packed and don't say that in the title apparently. Not to mention all the other threads in that forum so it's tough to sort them out.

I don't have enough time from my regular life to sort through so much just to try to find a nugget here and there. I use my Minecraft time to do that. =P

FkuffyEggs89

Jul 29, 2019
Uh just so whomever is aware, slow or someone, the hyperlink title on the FTB Launcher that is supposed to take you here is broken. It takes you to an error page. Not hard to just come to the forum the normal way, but thought I should let you know in case you care to fix it.

Reactions: Delnaga

tarzan1376

Jul 7, 2013
Personally relaunching it for 1.7 giving everyone 2 months or less we would have allot more new ideas with the new and improved mods, such as ProjectE the remake of EE2 for 1.7.10? and just a bunch of improvments to other mods and most likely better entries cause of less config work and make work on ideas and quests and builds the important stuff. So i'm all for relaunching it to 1.7 if you guys do it.