Is Rotarycraft stupidly difficult or am I the stupid one?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Elessar

Jul 29, 2019
Ah then my mistake, I hadn't tested that in a long time, not since I updated Rotarycraft. Thanks.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I just don't get why anyone thinks a BWR isn't renewable.

The resources are so abundant, that virtually any mining setup at all is going to give you a lifetime supply of what you need.

With the ability to reprocess spent fuel (breeder reactor) its even more ridiculously renewable.

Even wikipedia describes fission as virtually renewable where breeders are involved.
"Renewable" is a technical term. It means you don't take anything out of the environment continuously that you don't replace. Application varies somewhat, but in real-world terms a resource must be abundant enough to not have a price tag to forego that requirement. In Minecraft terms, I wouldn't count anything as renewable unless it doesn't need any continuous input of materials but cobblestone or water, or things made exclusively from those.

In practical terms, if resources are abundant enough it may not make a difference if a resource is renewable, but that doesn't change the fact that most resources aren't.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
In Minecraft terms, I wouldn't count anything as renewable unless it doesn't need any continuous input of materials but cobblestone or water, or things made exclusively from those.
So wood and anything from crops isn't renewable then?

Edit: Nevermind, you were speaking of "continuous input".

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
So wood and anything from crops isn't renewable then?

Edit: Nevermind, you were speaking of "continuous input".
Of course plant materials that can be regrown count as renewable. I should've qualified "non-living resources"

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
"Renewable" is a technical term. It means you don't take anything out of the environment continuously that you don't replace. Application varies somewhat, but in real-world terms a resource must be abundant enough to not have a price tag to forego that requirement. In Minecraft terms, I wouldn't count anything as renewable unless it doesn't need any continuous input of materials but cobblestone or water, or things made exclusively from those.

In practical terms, if resources are abundant enough it may not make a difference if a resource is renewable, but that doesn't change the fact that most resources aren't.
Agreed, but we need to draw the line somewhere. Technically the power from the fusion of the sun isn't renewable but the distinction is meaningless.

We have enough fissile material on the planet to last virtually forever, in similar fashion.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Agreed, but we need to draw the line somewhere. Technically the power from the fusion of the sun isn't renewable but the distinction is meaningless.

We have enough fissile material on the planet to last virtually forever, in similar fashion.
Yet nobody I know personally would ever think of nuclear fission fuel as "renewable", only as "abundant". Words mean something, you know, and these two are different qualities. The distinction may not be economically relevant for nuclear fission, but the economic viewpoint is not the only possible one. Politically, for instance, it means more independence if you don't have to depend on (and pay for) resources mined by someone else far away, and that transfers into Minecraft tech worlds as a preference for not having to, say, take advantage of the boring machine's ability to mine chunks 10000 blocks away from your base. From that point of view, the distinction is meaningless only if there not only are essentially unlimited resources, but you are sitting on an essentially unlimited deposit. Now add the ecological dimension....

Last edited:

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Yet nobody I know personally would ever think of nuclear fission fuel as "renewable", only as "abundant". Words mean something, you know, and these two are different qualities. The distinction may not be economically relevant for nuclear fission, but the economic viewpoint is not the only possible one.
I love this argument, and it applies strongly to a lot of things in the news these days. Its worth revisiting my wikipedia citation earlier though: there are multiple communities, with different vocabularies, and the scientific community (which sees it as renewable) is a legitimate one.

Politically, for instance, it means more independence if you don't have to depend on (and pay for) resources mined by someone else far away, and that transfers into Minecraft tech worlds as a preference for not having to, say, take advantage of the boring machine's ability to mine chunks 10000 blocks away from your base. From that point of view, the distinction is meaningless only if there not only are essentially unlimited resources, but you are sitting on an essentially unlimited deposit. Now add the ecological dimension....
I wonder, would you feel better about the MC version if you got your resources via the MFR mining laser rather than the boring machine?

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
Hm. Do fans work on Pneumaticraft seeds? Thought I'd ask before looking up direwolf's seed farm again.

(of course I need another mod consuming all my iron that I don't have)

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Yet nobody I know personally would ever think of nuclear fission fuel as "renewable", only as "abundant". Words mean something, you know, and these two are different qualities. The distinction may not be economically relevant for nuclear fission, but the economic viewpoint is not the only possible one.
Ultimately, nothing fits your definition of renewability, because it all is consuming a finite, nonregenerating resource. Using energy to do work consumes thermodynamic free energy, and generates entropy. Seeing as the universe is a closed system, that means every time energy is harnessed, in any form, it contributes to the ultimate heat death of the universe.

If functional infinity - which the heat death is, at 10^100 years in the future - does not count as renewable, then ultimately nothing does.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Ultimately, nothing fits your definition of renewability, because it all is consuming a finite, nonregenerating resource. Using energy to do work consumes thermodynamic free energy, and generates entropy. Seeing as the universe is a closed system, that means every time energy is harnessed, in any form, it contributes to the ultimate heat death of the universe.
Iedra knows this; I believe his point was more to do with general perspective.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
You're forgetting free energy devices. Stick a few neodymium magnets on a plywood disk and set it spinning. It'll solve all the world's energy problems present AND future.

I know it must be true because it was on the list of demands Occupy Wall Street published.

The NWO are hiding it from us.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
Right, how about an on topic stupid RoC question?

I have a reservoir, it held water. Now I wish to use it for something else. I can't get the last of the water out. I assume it can only hold fluids like what it already contains. I've attached pipes until I'm at 3/64000 mb, and can't clear it. I can't uncraft it either.

Suggestions?

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
Have you tried fluid transfer nodes, and TE ducts? Possibly refill and then use fluid transfer nodes?

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Right, how about an on topic stupid RoC question?

I have a reservoir, it held water. Now I wish to use it for something else. I can't get the last of the water out. I assume it can only hold fluids like what it already contains. I've attached pipes until I'm at 3/64000 mb, and can't clear it. I can't uncraft it either.

Suggestions?
You are kind of stuck, if you do not have another mod's piping system available. Fortunately, reservoirs are cheap.

You're forgetting free energy devices. Stick a few neodymium magnets on a plywood disk and set it spinning. It'll solve all the world's energy problems present AND future.

I know it must be true because it was on the list of demands Occupy Wall Street published.

...And I just lost essentially all respect for the movement.

Reactions: dalekslayer96

wolfenstein19

Jul 29, 2019

Yes that is some high quality gourmet stupid right there.

"That was revolting, I hated it! Another? Yes, please."

fandacreep

Jul 29, 2019
This mod is stupidly difficult, which is a shame, because it could be fixed so easily. This mod is cool and all, and some of its stuff, especially the ore duplication, is unmatched, but you seriously need to go and make this natively support RF. It is already the standard power system for tech mods, and is rapidly becoming the only viable system for mods to use. Not just Thermal Expansion anymore; Mekanism abandoned universal electricity in favor of RF, the Forestry update is making it RF native, BuildCraft is consdering switching to RF, and IC2 just adopted RF as its primary power system. RF is better in just about every way, its so much easier to understand, it is used by just about everything, and its so simple and clean that its so much easier for computers to run. The days of 10 mods and 10 power systems are over, and you need to wake up and adapt or this mod will ultimately die off, and that would be a shame. The clock is ticking, and the choice is yours. Tick tock.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
This mod is stupidly difficult, which is a shame, because it could be fixed so easily. This mod is cool and all, and some of its stuff, especially the ore duplication, is unmatched, but you seriously need to go and make this natively support RF. It is already the standard power system for tech mods, and is rapidly becoming the only viable system for mods to use. Not just Thermal Expansion anymore; Mekanism abandoned universal electricity in favor of RF, the Forestry update is making it RF native, BuildCraft is consdering switching to RF, and IC2 just adopted RF as its primary power system. RF is better in just about every way, its so much easier to understand, it is used by just about everything, and its so simple and clean that its so much easier for computers to run. The days of 10 mods and 10 power systems are over, and you need to wake up and adapt or this mod will ultimately die off, and that would be a shame. The clock is ticking, and the choice is yours. Tick tock.
Awesome! Reika actually keeps a list of posts like these and shows them off every once in a while for a chuckle.

For what its worth: the mod caters to a specific crowd that do not find it stupidly difficult. That crowd is very fond of it. Reika doesn't care if that crowd doesn't include all the RF fans, and in fact considers the difficulty level a filter to keep certain people away from him and his mods.

If the mod ran off of RF, it wouldn't even be rotational power, or a "different" mod at all for that matter. It would just be another thermal expansion. How many thermal expansions do we need?

IC2 just adopted RF as its primary power system.
...what?

fandacreep

Jul 29, 2019
Awesome! Reika actually keeps a list of posts like these and shows them off every once in a while for a chuckle.
What?

For what its worth: the mod caters to a specific crowd that do not find it stupidly difficult. That crowd is very fond of it. Reika doesn't care if that crowd doesn't include all the RF fans, and in fact considers the difficulty level a filter to keep certain people away from him and his mods.
That sounds elitist to me.

If the mod ran off of RF, it wouldn't even be rotational power, or a "different" mod at all for that matter. It would just be another thermal expansion. How many thermal expansions do we need?
Its the best tech mod out there, find me one thats easier, less OP, or less laggy.

Go look it up, the IC devs saw the writing on the wall and bent to pressure from the community.