Is Rotarycraft stupidly difficult or am I the stupid one?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Question about fission reactors. What's usually the best way to reliably sustain them? Since I don't see a way to turn them "off" just lower output/reactions/fuel burn.
I know there's bees that produce uranium for IC2 (wich can be used for RoC), but if I recall, there's at least one other material that gets consumed making the fuel pellets.

I didn't list boring machines or quarries, because mining is inconsistent.

You can turn off a reactor by removing all its fuel. Depending on how you use control rods, you could also effectively near-stop the fuel from being consumed by dropping all rods into place.

Boring Machine's shouldn't really be considered inconsistent when producing fuel sources. A single one can mine forever, and at fast enough rate that you could fuel several fission reactors easily (pitchblende is extremely prevalent in the right biomes)

The other material consumed is fluorite, which is also extremely prevalent. You will never run out if you have a boring machine, particularly if its enchanted (efficiency)

Edit: Forgot to add: the best way is to also have a Breeder reactor, which will help turn your excess "bad" fuel into plutonium, which functions similar to uranium.

Breeder reactors are also just fun to make.

Reactions: Padfoote

Dragonchampion

Jul 29, 2019
Question about fission reactors. What's usually the best way to reliably sustain them? Since I don't see a way to turn them "off" just lower output/reactions/fuel burn.
I know there's bees that produce uranium for IC2 (wich can be used for RoC), but if I recall, there's at least one other material that gets consumed making the fuel pellets.

Dothrom, from what I have researched flourite is needed as well as uranium. But you shouldn't worry because Rainbow FLourite seems common as hell and even a nonenchanted pick gives a massive 20-30 flourite per ore.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Dothrom, from what I have researched flourite is needed as well as uranium. But you shouldn't worry because Rainbow FLourite seems common as hell and even a nonenchanted pick gives a massive 20-30 flourite per ore.
Rainbow fluorite drops something like 8x that of normal fluorite, because the ore is 8x less common with that config on.

Reactions: Padfoote

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
Hm, I've been silk touching everything w/ a TiCo pick, and haven't been paying attention to how much fluorite I've been collecting. Been grinders up till now, but should finally have my extractor running this evening :D.
Also, would it be more effective to have the boring machine enchanted w/ silk touch (and then run it all through the extractor)? Or put fortune on it?

Reactions: Bigpak

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
Hm, I've been silk touching everything w/ a TiCo pick, and haven't been paying attention to how much fluorite I've been collecting. Been grinders up till now, but should finally have my extractor running this evening :D.
Also, would it be more effective to have the boring machine enchanted w/ silk touch (and then run it all through the extractor)? Or put fortune on it?

Honestly in my opinion I think it is better to put it through the extractor. Fortune doesn't seem to be as good as putting it through the extractor,especially on diamonds.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Fortune for rainbow fluorite, silk touch for everything else.

Reactions: Padfoote and Bigpak

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
Fortune for rainbow fluorite, silk touch for everything else.
Well, I was mostly referring to the extractor (though atm i'm just assuming those enchants can go on it, since I don't have a list here at work.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014

Depends on which kind of reactor you're running. HTGR's need TRISO fuel pellets, and apart from uranium, IIRC you only need graphite for those which is made from coal. Magical Crops has coal seeds. And BTW, you can also get uranium with Magical Crops. Another possibility is a laser drill. The output varies somewhat but should be constant over time, and it's easily powered by the reactor itself.

If you're running a BWR, then you'll need fluorite, and I don't think there is a way to make that renewable. IMO it should be possible to recycle the fluor from the UF6 as it's turned into fuel pellets and depleted uranium, but ReactorCraft offers no mechanism for that. If made possible, it should also be rather energy-intensive (says my hopefully not outdated chemistry knowledge).

Elessar

Jul 29, 2019
If you're running a BWR, then you'll need fluorite, and I don't think there is a way to make that renewable.

Well if you're in Monster, or have Mimicry+Magical Crops, you can make mimichite renewable (lapis, gunpowder, magma cream, ghast tears, and glowstone, I think, which is all available through magical crops) and then mimichite the fluorite to get infinite UF6 :D

I just can't stand leaving a power source unrenewable. *Makes mad rush for fusion*

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
I just don't get why anyone thinks a BWR isn't renewable.

The resources are so abundant, that virtually any mining setup at all is going to give you a lifetime supply of what you need.

With the ability to reprocess spent fuel (breeder reactor) its even more ridiculously renewable.

Even wikipedia describes fission as virtually renewable where breeders are involved.

You can also easily make a renewable Fusion Power Plant:) Just add a few Neutron Irradiation Chambers, and the entire thing becomes self-sustaining and infinitely renewable.

Elessar

Jul 29, 2019
I just don't get why anyone thinks a BWR isn't renewable.

The resources are so abundant, that virtually any mining setup at all is going to give you a lifetime supply of what you need.

With the ability to reprocess spent fuel (breeder reactor) its even more ridiculously renewable.

Even wikipedia describes fission as virtually renewable where breeders are involved.

Sure I do get that it is effectively renewable, but if I hypothetically leave Minecraft running while I'm on a monthlong vacation I don't want to come back to a base without power. Might be an extreme example, but once I set it up I don't want to have to worry about whether I have enough fuel to keep going or if I need another quarry. And sure there's the boring machine but I was kind of leery about letting the thing infinitely generate chunks, and secondly it was crashing my client consistently with Already Tesselating errors. I'd rather just set up a magical farm and make it passively renewable.

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
"Easily" ? :p

The conversion would be easy. Just replace a couple Neutron Absorbers with Neutron Irradiation Chambers. Pump Deuterium into there, and voila. Renewable. ( Deuterium is already renewable with just a bit of power, which the Fusion reactor should be able to spare...)

Sure I do get that it is effectively renewable, but if I hypothetically leave Minecraft running while I'm on a monthlong vacation I don't want to come back to a base without power. Might be an extreme example, but once I set it up I don't want to have to worry about whether I have enough fuel to keep going or if I need another quarry. And sure there's the boring machine but I was kind of leery about letting the thing infinitely generate chunks, and secondly it was crashing my client consistently with Already Tesselating errors. I'd rather just set up a magical farm and make it passively renewable.

Just some back of the envelope estimates, and something like a regular quarry ( not enchanted for silk touch or fortune ) would get you somewhere around 1-2 weeks worth of fluorite. ( Depending on consumption rate of course. ) A single QuarryPlus would cover you for something like 6 months. ( I have barely put a dent in my White Fluorite alone, and I've finished building a Fusion Reactor by myself. All off of just 3 Quarry Plus quarries, and 3 regular quarry runs. All without silk touch or Fortune. )

Elessar

Jul 29, 2019
Just some back of the envelope estimates, and something like a regular quarry ( not enchanted for silk touch or fortune ) would get you somewhere around 1-2 weeks worth of fluorite. ( Depending on consumption rate of course. ) A single QuarryPlus would cover you for something like 6 months. ( I have barely put a dent in my White Fluorite alone, and I've finished building a Fusion Reactor by myself. All off of just 3 Quarry Plus quarries, and 3 regular quarry runs. All without silk touch or Fortune. )
And I still have about 80k+ fluorite ore I never processed because of it being so common. But being abundant is different than being renewable, because I have to remember to go out mining once every 6(ish) months, and be thinking about my fuel while I'm out building some other project.

Maybe that just makes me lazy, but I'm not really comfortable leaving my power system dependent on mining or some other non-automatable function.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
"Already Tessellating" is a render error, something difficult to do for a machine with no render. :p

Elessar

Jul 29, 2019
"Already Tessellating" is a render error, something difficult to do for a machine with no render. :p
Sorry you're right, I was confusing that error with another crash I was having. I believe it was "Already Decorating". (watch that also be unrelated).

wolfenstein19

Jul 29, 2019
And I still have about 80k+ fluorite ore I never processed because of it being so common. But being abundant is different than being renewable, because I have to remember to go out mining once every 6(ish) months, and be thinking about my fuel while I'm out building some other project.

Maybe that just makes me lazy, but I'm not really comfortable leaving my power system dependent on mining or some other non-automatable function.
Im pretty sure by spending some of the power on laser drills you can automate the mining aspect of fluorite ore.