Is GregTech just going to keep getting harder?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
I'm going to start off and say that I like GregTech. I use it a lot now that it's grown on me. I like the added challenge, because without it I hit end game way too quickly. I'm fine if he edits IC2 and Advanced Machines, Advanced Solar Panels, whatever. That's IC2. It's in his department, and it was added to Ultimate and Mindcrack for a reason. Here's my issue, it's when he starts changing other mods. Quarries requiring IC2 Diamond Drill is ridiculous, especially with GT installed Diamond Drills are quite a bit more expensive. Here is a list of non-IC2 things he either nerfs or edits:

Duplicated Dragon Eggs, this sucks for servers if everyone wants an egg.

Only when used with a certain GregTech machine. And the dupe detection is disableable in the config, for servers that allow duped dragon eggs, so not a huge deal.

Enchantment Table Disable, this is not true by default, but is an addition that shouldn't have even been thought of.
RedPower Block Breakers, I don't even understand why this is in the Config. What is so OP about a damn block breaker? What if CC isn't in the pack, you can't make block breaker farms. It is false by default, but still possible to nerf.
Did you know he has a mod that disables infinite water sources?
That's about as relevant as the things you said, since they're off by default.

Forestry Bronze, Forestry bronze can be crafted I think with the ratio dust:bronze 4:4, he makes it so that it is 4:2, which is ridiculous as it requires 4 dust to make bronze.
I agree that should be changed back, it's just annoying.

TE Recipe Hack, I don't know what this is, but it still interferes with Thermal Expansion, which is not IC2 related in anyway, and the difference has cause many flame wars.
That's GregTech's ore dictionary unificator affecting the output of TE machines. So when you pulverize copper ore, you get IC2 copper dust (or whatever is selected in the config) and not pulverized copper, so you have only one kind of copper dust and ingots to deal with.
Actually, TE is being deliberately obstructive here, since you have to go to TE's config and change a setting before it'll allow that to happen.

Slackerony

Jul 29, 2019
If you don't like GT. Stop using his mod, and quit whining about it :) - I love gt, and i don't mind it getting harder and harder, That way i prolong the awesomeness that is modded minecraft.

And tbh, if u like GT, but not all that he does, you can disable/altar alot of things in his config, and i'm sorry, but that whole "HE'S GOING TO DISABLE ENCHANTING TABLE, OMAGAD!" That's just stupid, It's off by default, there's a reason for that.

More options, r better options, i believe someone wrote on these forums not long ago, And i have to agree.

Though, when we start having to pay nether stars for everything, i draw the line ;)

Reactions: Ixeling and YX33A

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
Guys this has been light hearted up to this point, lets not get into the love/hate thing if you plz, its just one of many many, too many really GT topics, I for one think its was meant as a troll/bait post.

Reactions: Slackerony

Mjw

Jul 29, 2019
Iron ore only has a 1% chance to drop with a stone pickaxe
Then it has a 1% chance to smelt into a tiny pile of iron dust
When you combine them iron dust has a 1% to smelt into iron bars

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
best thing about GT imo is unifying all of the dusts/ingots. For that reason alone I'd want it in any pack I play

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
That's GregTech's ore dictionary unificator affecting the output of TE machines. So when you pulverize copper ore, you get IC2 copper dust (or whatever is selected in the config) and not pulverized copper, so you have only one kind of copper dust and ingots to deal with.
Actually, TE is being deliberately obstructive here, since you have to go to TE's config and change a setting before it'll allow that to happen.

Actually, that is not what that setting is for at all. So you're being completely disingenuous by saying that. The unificator stuff is all handled by TE via plugin, and happens REGARDLESS of the override setting.

The TE Hack option is very specifically to change machine recipes that he disagrees with. I'm going out of my way to use his API to provide the ore dictionary functionality.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, that is not what that setting is for at all. So you're being completely disingenuous by saying that. The unificator stuff is all handled by TE via plugin, and happens REGARDLESS of the override setting.

The TE Hack option is very specifically to change machine recipes that he disagrees with. I'm going out of my way to use his API to provide the ore dictionary functionality.
King Lemming, the man himself, which machine is this actually changing?

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
King Lemming, the man himself, which machine is this actually changing?

I believe he changes various Pulverizer and Smelter recipes. Strictly speaking, they aren't all nerfs, but they are deviations from the established TE recipes, so I require an override so that people don't play with GT first and then get confused when things change so radically without it.

Reactions: SatanicSanta

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Since we're on the subject, guess what I just found.

troll.png

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Well I'll be damned, there is a Troll.PNG in the blocks folder for the textures. Kind wonder what it's actually there for...

Well, the textures can't be opened and edited, so I guess he's encoding them in way or another, and the troll might be a poke at people who'd try and fuck with them. Or I dunno. Maybe he was pissed at people making sheldonite more visible or something.

Regardless, it's very frustrating for me.

Exadi

Jul 29, 2019
Well I'll be damned, there is a Troll.PNG in the blocks folder for the textures. Kind wonder what it's actually there for...
He temporarily changed something's texture to that image as some kind of joke related to a user on the IC2 forum that used it as their avatar. I forget the details.

Reactions: Poppycocks

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
If you look at his texture filenames all I can say is good luck getting it custom textured, that's a job and a half cos the lazy ass didn't put the proper filenames of each texture and instead called them 0.png 1.png.

It's going to take someone with no life to figure out what texture belongs to what item and to get it 100% right is almost impossible. I can see GT being vanilla textured for a looooooooong time.