Is "Blood Magic" Overpowered?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Eh a bit late game from what I was going for, but Thank you none the less.
Those rituals do not really become feasible until T4. Their cost exceeds their benefit until somewhere at the end of t3/beginning of t4 with a dedicated altar.

The Self-sacrifice (or "idling reactor") can work okay with a dedicated T3 altar.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
It's pretty difficult for that mechanic to not end up being infinite LP, one way or another.

Infinite was the wrong word on my part, should've been along the lines of "easy LP for minimal setup cost" or something like that. However, because of this:

The "witch reactor" is popular mostly because it is very kind on servers.

I'm not as against witches as I originally was. I completely forgot about servers and how that would be easier on them than a massive mob spawner, so thanks for pointing that out.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Infinite was the wrong word on my part, should've been along the lines of "easy LP for minimal setup cost" or something like that. However, because of this:

I'm not as against witches as I originally was. I completely forgot about servers and how that would be easier on them than a massive mob spawner, so thanks for pointing that out.

It's also sort of objectively worse than cursed earth spawners. As my episode showed, CE grinders turn a black reactor from a source of LP to a source of LP, LiquidXP, and massive mob drops. Make one in a nether fortress for infinite gold, blaze rods, necrotic bones, bones, gunpowder, and wither skulls, gold gear to enchant, and enchantments. If you have a book farm (aka a tree, cotton and cane farm) then you will have infintie enchants as well.

Last edited:

KillerRamer

Jul 29, 2019
Those rituals do not really become feasible until T4. Their cost exceeds their benefit until somewhere at the end of t3/beginning of t4 with a dedicated altar.

The Self-sacrifice (or "idling reactor") can work okay with a dedicated T3 altar.
I'm not aiming for unlimited power, merely decent early game power that could be stretched a bit. I'm not going for rituals either. Merely some simple quick and easy outside the box stuff.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not aiming for unlimited power, merely decent early game power that could be stretched a bit. I'm not going for rituals either. Merely some simple quick and easy outside the box stuff.

A vanilla dark room that pushes into a glass box above a t2/t3 sacrifice altar. This requires manual intervention, but is earlier game than getting blaze rods.

Also note if you CAN get a blaze rod, it's unlikely you want to use blood magic alchemy for regen potions until you have a t4 altar. You get more regen time per ghast tear and it's hard to make/find refilling and binding agents.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
It's also sort of objectively worse than cursed earth spawners. As my episode showed, CE grinders turn a black reactor from a source of LP to a source of LP, LiquidXP, and massive mob drops. Make one in a nether fortress for infinite gold, blaze rods, necrotic bones, bones, gunpowder, and wither skulls.

Watched those episodes a while back, and now that you mention it (it seems I'm forgetting everything today) I'm remembering the massive amounts of everything that dropped.

Alright Dave, you've convinced me they aren't as "overpowered" as I thought. I still wouldn't use witches, but that's just me. ;)

Reactions: RedBoss

KillerRamer

Jul 29, 2019
A vanilla dark room that pushes into a glass box above a t2/t3 sacrifice altar. This requires manual intervention, but is earlier game than getting blaze rods.
Eh I got a design coming up shortly.. Going to put it through the ringer beforehand.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Watched those episodes a while back, and now that you mention it (it seems I'm forgetting everything today) I'm remembering the massive amounts of everything that dropped.

Alright Dave, you've convinced me they aren't as "overpowered" as I thought. I still wouldn't use witches, but that's just me. ;)

I wouldn't either!

TBH Cursed Earth is pretty clearly "overpowered' as a spawn option. Blood magic is a fun way to use it, but the fact that it works when you're offline is the problem. Not much else is as good as CE at provoking spawns, and as I've noted in my most recent chaosville episode you can do it in any place to provoke that biome's spawns. Do it in a magic forest for a redstone farm.

Reactions: Padfoote

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
Have you, um, looked at how much work Way puts into his MCF thread? The whole mod is exhaustively documented there because Way is a good guy(tm).

Not in the last month or so. But I try to avoid MCF since my privacy-based browser makes a total hash of it.

That aside, I don't mean to disparage WoT for a second, and I hope he understands that. I've though every mod needed in-game documentation ever since I played my first pack with TiCo and I think that mod authors often forget about the resources available to them and so I try to remind them of the possibilities and push my own agenda; Blood Magic is a great mod, but it's also one of the more complex.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Not in the last month or so. But I try to avoid MCF since my privacy-based browser makes a total hash of it.

That aside, I don't mean to disparage WoT for a second, and I hope he understands that. I've though every mod needed in-game documentation ever since I played my first pack with TiCo and I think that mod authors often forget about the resources available to them and so I try to remind them of the possibilities and push my own agenda; Blood Magic is a great mod, but it's also one of the more complex.

It's always been exhaustively documented. Saying, "my web browser cannot read" it is not really an excuse that's gonna fly in 2014. If you're worried, put firefox in a VM and you'll be more secure anyways.

I don't mean to come down too hard on you, but this push for in-game documentation is something I actually do not like very much for complex mods. The documentation GUIs are un-searchable, often do not hold their place (Thaumcraft is "incredibly good" just because it's keeps the last opened tab and x y scroll of the book, a very low bar indeed) if you leave them, and often have font issues and poor typesetting.

In game documentation is great, but nothing beats a good solid description of your mod and its capabilities and features that I can see BEFORE I am forced to spin up an MC instance and commit to building your books.

As a compromise position, look at how Witchery does it with the official Witchery wiki, where the exact components are in-game but the comprehensive list of blocks and creatures are listed online in a very searchable way.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
It's always been exhaustively documented. Saying, "my web browser cannot read" it is not really an excuse that's gonna fly in 2014. If you're worried, put firefox in a VM and you'll be more secure anyways.
No excuse, I know that one's on me. I checked the thread and I agree that it's excellent.

While I don't entirely agree with some of your points, I do understand where you're coming from, and again, no disparaging intended to WoT.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Reactions: KirinDave

Flipz

Jul 29, 2019
As a compromise position, look at how Witchery does it with the official Witchery wiki, where the exact components are in-game but the comprehensive list of blocks and creatures are listed online in a very searchable way.

That's how I'd like all mods to do documentation, to be honest. For people with low-end machines (like me), going to the official wiki can often mean "shut down Minecraft, look up things on wiki, restart Minecraft". That's one reason I like our own wiki: I can actually look up things on it while I have MC open without it eating all of my processing power and freezing my computer.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
That's how I'd like all mods to do documentation, to be honest. For people with low-end machines (like me), going to the official wiki can often mean "shut down Minecraft, look up things on wiki, restart Minecraft". That's one reason I like our own wiki: I can actually look up things on it while I have MC open without it eating all of my processing power and freezing my computer.
I haven't upgraded my main machine in about five, six years. There hasn't been a lot of need for it, pre-the latest generation of consoles, but window switching can certainly be a pain when Java is using all of the memory.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't upgraded my main machine in about five, six years. There hasn't been a lot of need for it, pre-the latest generation of consoles, but window switching can certainly be a pain when Java is using all of the memory.
I'm in a similar boat machine wise. As it stands my PC is beast with every other task I need it for. Minecraft is the only taxing application loaded on my rig and its really not a priority in the face of the cost of upgrading. That being said, I much prefer alt/tabbing to a forum page to an in game documentation. Even with the awesome Thaumonomicon, I found having to constantly switch pages from "aspects" to the extended KAMI tree very annoying. It was easier to screen print the crafting page and tab over to Saice's aspect chart.

In game documentation is good but can get awkward very easily. Not to mention the current trend of loading a new world and having to juggle at least 3 books immediately.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
I'm in a similar boat machine wise. As it stands my PC is beast with every other task I need it for. Minecraft is the only taxing application loaded on my rig and its really not a priority in the face of the cost of upgrading.
Oh yeah. My laptop has more power, but laptops and gaming.

My PC is using parts that were the end-runs of their generation; I have an Intel Core 2 Quad that's been clocked up - it's a Yorkfield 6M, which makes it the absolute last generation before the i7, and that makes it ludicrously easy to overpower; generally, last-generation CPUs are deliberately powered down and sold at lower ratings. My graphics card is an ancient Radeon HD 4670, which is OLD, but it's a workhorse and it has a huge passive heatsink which, when covered with a spare fan, lets me do pretty much whatever I like to it.

I've run benchmarks between this old, heavily-customized beast and my flashy new i7 laptop and they come up very close to identical; the only place the desktop REALLY falls down is RAM, and you can't even use more than 4gb to run Minecraft anyway.

Now that the PS4 and XB1 are out, I'll probably be upgrading within the next year as the big titles adjust the power they need but quite frankly, if you know how to get the most you can out of the older machines they quite often trump the shiny brand new ones.

Reactions: RedBoss

abobabo

Jul 29, 2019
It's not only about the machine. I have a quite bad wireless connection, and a laptop, and like to play minecraft even without internet access. Sometimes my progress in a mod can be completely stumped because I can't find a proper recipe (when those aren't in NEI properly, as isn't uncommon for new mods with their own production methods), and if I don't have internet I can't access a wiki.

Having a short in-game manual with recipes and short descriptions, and leaving the detailed explanations and numbers to a wiki/thread/whatever online, seems like the optimal solution.

However, also this:
In game documentation is good but can get awkward very easily. Not to mention the current trend of loading a new world and having to juggle at least 3 books immediately.
It's annoying and ugly to start off with a bunch of books. This is where I think achievements come in handy - simply have a mod achievement where the recipe for the in-game manual is. That's how the basic "tutorial" (if you can call it that) of minecraft is; "craft a bench from four wooden planks". Instead you could have "craft a manual from leather and an ink sac" or whatever.

KillerRamer

Jul 29, 2019
However, also this:

It's annoying and ugly to start off with a bunch of books. This is where I think achievements come in handy - simply have a mod achievement where the recipe for the in-game manual is. That's how the basic "tutorial" (if you can call it that) of minecraft is; "craft a bench from four wooden planks". Instead you could have "craft a manual from leather and an ink sac" or whatever.
But not every mod needs to start with books.. Botania has a crafting recipe for it's book, and it's recipes leading the front page before the DL I think. Thaumcraft's guidbook is explained how to be obtained before you download the mod aswell, in short.

Blood Magic could be obtained placing a book in a blood filled altar..

I feel like guidebooks took off with tinkers construct, but that book makes sense when you start out. It offer's a means of changing the early game. It provides crafting tables that can be made to hold items when you leave it's gui, it has a way to make repairable tools instead of continually crafting sticks, taking three pierces of whatever material, and making a new one, over and over and over again.

Meanwhile the openblocks book is a nice idea, but it would have merely been better off as something you craft, but see how to craft before installing the mod.

Reactions: abobabo

Dylan4ever

Jul 29, 2019
But not every mod needs to start with books.. Botania has a crafting recipe for it's book, and it's recipes leading the front page before the DL I think. Thaumcraft's guidbook is explained how to be obtained before you download the mod aswell, in short.

Blood Magic could be obtained placing a book in a blood filled altar..

I feel like guidebooks took off with tinkers construct, but that book makes sense when you start out. It offer's a means of changing the early game. It provides crafting tables that can be made to hold items when you leave it's gui, it has a way to make repairable tools instead of continually crafting sticks, taking three pierces of whatever material, and making a new one, over and over and over again.

Meanwhile the openblocks book is a nice idea, but it would have merely been better off as something you craft, but see how to craft before installing the mod.

I think most books should only be craftable... The OpenBlocks book seems like an attempt to reveal all the ''ignored'' stuff in the mod, by forcing a book (or two) into your face. But then again, little people would craft it if it were only craftable <.<.

The TCon book is the only one I can ''accept'' to get right at the start, but I even turn that config option to false most of the time, so... Yeah. No likey books at the start. Me likey optional.

KillerRamer

Jul 29, 2019
I think most books should only be craftable... The OpenBlocks book seems like an attempt to reveal all the ''ignored'' stuff in the mod, by forcing a book (or two) into your face. But then again, little people would craft it if it were only craftable <.<.

The TCon book is the only one I can ''accept'' to get right at the start, but I even turn that config option to false most of the time, so... Yeah. No likey books at the start. Me likey optional.
Aye it's why I'm suggesting that it's craftable by means of bloodmagic. Ticon's the only one that really makes sense.