Is "Blood Magic" Overpowered?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
But not as easy. I always forget to prepare and just place it outside of my base.

I've downed a few without any armor and just an iron sword before. I've also done it way underground, so that helped.

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
But not as easy. I always forget to prepare and just place it outside of my base.
Well, you're creating a monster highly known for exploding everything right outside your base then saying that it's too hard.
I'm sure there's nothing wrong with that sentence.
Anyway, in vanilla (or any environment without flat bedrock) you can trap the Wither in bedrock in the Nether ceiling, so it's not like you can't exploit the guy even there.

Reactions: YX33A and Padfoote

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
For the record... Stabbing yourself isn't how using blood in a sacrifice works. You CUT yourself, usually your palm but other sources will work if you don't bleed too much too quick from that location, and cover the wound with cloth or something afterwords if the bleeding is still bad.

But stabbing someone else works, but even that's a bit wasteful, since one could just slash their throat, get all sorts of blood flowing from that, but I agree with the dagger for sacrificing things that aren't willing, as it's easier to inflict wounds on something that is struggling with a dagger then a knife, and while a sword would be better, it's in some sense less thematic and thus worse.

Now, as for what I think about Blood Magic... Ugh. Early game, like most mods, sucks. Late game, like most mods, rocks. Mid game, like most mods, is about making things you already do easier and able to be automated if it's within the scope of the mod.
If it's accessible at T1, it is either the lava crystal or the lava sigil, or pretty much useless.(divination sigil aside, T1 that isn't lava or power is boring and not powerful or all that great)
T2 has the alchemy system and that's actually pretty nice. Takes off at T3 and above, though, so that sucks.(from what I've heard, it's not that great until T3, and really shines at T5)
T2 has something that may be magic, and is actually pretty cool. The end game magic stuff, though, it's okay. Nothing to write home about unless you enjoy combining spells or making ones that do more damage stuff then your basic spells.

Honestly, I enjoy the mod, but like most mods, I don't have a lot of good things to say about them.

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
Well, you're creating a monster highly known for exploding everything right outside your base then saying that it's too hard.
I'm sure there's nothing wrong with that sentence.
Anyway, in vanilla (or any environment without flat bedrock) you can trap the Wither in bedrock in the Nether ceiling, so it's not like you can't exploit the guy even there.

Did I say too hard? Nope. It's still very easy, just significantly harder in vanilla (doesn't actually make it hard, just harder). Also I don't use exploits for fighting the wither, it's not fun that way.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
Cross-mod interaction makes the changes you can make a little pointless, WoT. Not that either term has a lot of meaning, but Blood Magic is slightly underpowered without other mods in the mix.

Once you toss other mods in, things definitely change, but as others have pointed out, power gamers are always going to find ways to "beat the system" and this is simply to be expected in a pack environment.

My only gripe would be that the mod really, really needs an in-game guide of some sort. The wiki is only halfway updated, the only sources of information that cover everything are videos and for various reasons we won't get into, I often really hate watching videos, and I really really hate when it's my only reliable source of information on a mod.

I know that's a time-sink for you, but I'll give you the same advice I give every mod author when it comes to updating their documentation; you've got two entire forums full of fans and you don't need any coding knowledge to write documentation.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
I know that's a time-sink for you, but I'll give you the same advice I give every mod author when it comes to updating their documentation; you've got two entire forums full of fans and you don't need any coding knowledge to write documentation.

There are already people that are doing this. The unofficial wiki has quite a bit of documentation, I've done about half on the official wiki, I've also written a guide on the mod, and there are also several regulars to my thread that have been posting their findings with the alchemy and spell systems, as well as their general setups. The information is out there. It may not be the best information at times, but it's better than nothing.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
Words cannot express how much I approve of this. On behalf of everyone whose Minecraft framerate is often more comparable to a slideshow than gameplay, we very much appreciate things that are more about cleverness and strategy than rapid-fire clicking and dodging. :p
Also those of us who aren't clinically brain dead =P

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Reactions: abculatter_2

FTB Xld3

Jul 29, 2019
Has no one mentioned that the Rotary Craft bedrock sword only does 12 damage plus sharpness V? Preeeettty sure thats not 200. Doesn't even instakill zombies.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Has no one mentioned that the Rotary Craft bedrock sword only does 12 damage plus sharpness V? Preeeettty sure thats not 200. Doesn't even instakill zombies.

Unsure of the context of this..
You're able to get sharpness V on your bound sword too, to do 19 base damage against unarmoured mobs, unsure of the crit but it one hits most things

There's a sword that does 200 from another mod? (don't know the name)
But that adds monsters that are 1000+ hp

Reactions: RedBoss

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
You're able to get sharpness V on your bound sword too, to do 19 base damage against unarmoured mobs, unsure of the crit but it one hits most things

That's Divine RPG; also the best sword in that mod does 80 IIRC.

Bedrock Sword wrecks armor though, and RoC's Gravel Gun does indeed do 200-ish damage from memory.

FTB Xld3

Jul 29, 2019

Way mentioned the Rotary Craft sword on the first post, he might have been confused with the one you're thinking. I don't believe RC has a sword that does 200 damage hahaha. I have the RC sword on my server and I don't care how much damage it does when you have looting V. I think I got 2 wither skeleton heads from one skeleton once and 5 ender pearls from one enderman. I think it's balanced-ish since it's not insane damage but the looting V is a bit over the top

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
You don't even need armour to kill the wither in vanilla.
Just a few potions, a good bow and a half decent sword.
(I've done many armourless wither runs)

Armour? What's that? My experiences with the Wither have always ended poorly, just because of poor Wither placement and I only go in with a sword.

CascadingDragon

Jul 29, 2019
You could kill the wither with just a wooden sword, if need be. Abuse the vanilla glitch that vanilla players do with the Nether sky - bedrock, and you won't take any damage and can just sit there... It's actually quite boring.

As for Blood Magic being over powered, as others' have stated, it's only bonderline OP (even then, I hesitant to use OP here) with cross mod interactions. I honestly think BM is one of the more "balanced" mods out there.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
You could kill the wither with just a wooden sword, if need be. Abuse the vanilla glitch that vanilla players do with the Nether sky - bedrock, and you won't take any damage and can just sit there... It's actually quite boring.

As for Blood Magic being over powered, as others' have stated, it's only bonderline OP (even then, I hesitant to use OP here) with cross mod interactions. I honestly think BM is one of the more "balanced" mods out there.

In no small part because WayOfTime is not only someone who cares a lot about x-mod balance, but also because he's a very good modded minecraft player who understands how mods can be made to interact.

If you have the impression the mod has room for higher tier content, you're correct. It's very clear more awesome stuff is coming.[DOUBLEPOST=1398188999][/DOUBLEPOST]
Cross-mod interaction makes the changes you can make a little pointless, WoT. Not that either term has a lot of meaning, but Blood Magic is slightly underpowered without other mods in the mix.

It's doable in a lite pack or with only Vanilla. It's just a bit delayed because you absolutely must have blaze rods to make a go of it.

My only gripe would be that the mod really, really needs an in-game guide of some sort. The wiki is only halfway updated, the only sources of information that cover everything are videos and for various reasons we won't get into, I often really hate watching videos, and I really really hate when it's my only reliable source of information on a mod.

Have you, um, looked at how much work Way puts into his MCF thread? The whole mod is exhaustively documented there because Way is a good guy(tm).[DOUBLEPOST=1398189078][/DOUBLEPOST]
You can make it in a cave and murder it in an enclosed space. Little prep needed.

I believe you misquoted me.

Some of the elementals are only "easy" if you have Thaumcraft installed. That holy elemental, for example. What a pain.

KillerRamer

Jul 29, 2019
I believe you misquoted me.

Some of the elementals are only "easy" if you have Thaumcraft installed. That holy elemental, for example. What a pain.
ah, I was aiming this towards the wither discussion.. I meant to qoute you and ask what episode your power gen from blood magic was from though.