IC2 is slowly dying out ?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
The weird thing is, I can see where the designers planned for nuclear reactors to fill that mid-range role. Putting out a few hundred EU per tick in a single generator isn't actually a bad design plan. The problem is that they then made the cost too high for the EU it put out. For example, if a heat vent only cost let's say 2 refined iron and a design with 10 vents and 10 uranium cells put out 200 EU/t, it would be very competitive with a bank of 5 geothermals that costs about the same in iron and tin but puts out half the EU. But instead, to get 200 EU out of a reactor, you have to blow something like 200 iron and 400 copper.

We quadrupled it and it wasn't bad. I used it becuase a 4-thorium reactor was a nice long-running MV power supply that could be perfectly stable. But the essential flaw is there. Also, IC2 makes handling high power output somewhat painful. It's too bad that glass cable is so good and everything else is so terrible.

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
I believe PonyKuu brought it up, in a round-about way. I are innocent!
No! I don't know any Twilight except that cute little winged unicorn!
The wages of evil are harsh indeed.

The only easykill I ever found for that guy was... well I'm going to keep it secret. It doesn't exist in 1.5.1 and I was the only person who really played with Xeno's Reliquary on my server.
Oh, you DO have reliquary?
Dave, The more you talk about your pack, the more I like it. I men, Reliquary is awesome!

Chrissy

Jul 29, 2019

If FTB drops greg tech, I'm dropping FTB,
i don't support GT recipe changes, I need to construct a giant, Several day consuming (Real life no less) addition to my base just for all the BS required machinery, One thing that peeves me is the thing with the mass fabricator, I mean changing the recipe is one thing, But for gods sake let it EXIST, I don't CARE if it's more expensive, it could be an UPGRADE for the stupid matter fabricator for all i care
If i make the recipe to bricks use diamonds, I'm not adding anything, I'm just making building a brick house a colossal pain in the ass,

Also, MJ/T can suck it, If it needs MJ, I just don't use aforementioned machine, Or i pay someone else to deal with it. It doesn't give the same techy feel that i love about IC2, It just feels like dicking around with
lightly intricate redstone
There doesn't seem to be the same flexibility, Like solar and stuff, Hard to explain why i prefer EU/T really. I probably sound like a moron making this post,

Standby for opinion-based ballistic insults

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
So I keep talking about how I think IC2 suffers a critical lack of good design and good content in power generation. And lo and behold what is linked to me today:

http://forum.industrial-craft.net/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=9205

I hate everything. Was CompactSolars too boring for you? Too tedious? Did AE render it too trivial? NO PROBLEM WE HAVE YOU COVERED. Now simply MASH YOUR FACE AGAINST YOUR KEYBOARD while you MOAN UNCONTROLLABLY like you usually do and it will generate TONS OF POWER.
Actually, I saw that earlier... Didn't pay much attention to it... For me that's not a big difference to compactsolars, but it seems it designed even worse...

A tip:
Good windmill design:
http://imageshack.us/a/img706/757/windmillx.png
Bad windmill design:
https://raw.github.com/Aroma1997/CompactWindmillsDist/master/images/windmills.png

Also, how much energy output UE advanced solars? ~5 KW? And fission reactor can output ~0.5 MW? So, that's 100 Advanced solars... And those solars are 3x3x3.
Yeah, I think that's good solar/nuclear design, even though solars might seem OP even in Mekanism.

Chrissy

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, I saw that earlier... Didn't pay much attention to it... For me that's not a big difference to compactsolars, but it seems it designed even worse...

A tip:
Good windmill design:
Bad windmill design:
https://raw.github.com/Aroma1997/CompactWindmillsDist/master/images/windmills.png

Also, how much energy output UE advanced solars? ~5 KW? And fission reactor can output ~0.5 MW? So, that's 100 Advanced solars... And those solars are 3x3x3.
Yeah, I think that's good solar/nuclear design, even though solar might seem OP even in Mekanism.

Give it time, Although personally wind/hydro has always felt like tiny baby man power, Unless we get something really kick ass, Like some kinda thing i can build over a waterfall, I think some of the IC2 stuff could use some nice shiney rendermodels

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019

A tip:
Good windmill design:
Bad windmill design:

Yeah, I think that's good solar/nuclear design, even though solars might seem OP even in Mekanism.

They're OP in Mekanism because it ignores the config for the IC2/EU conversion ratio. In the bigger scheme of things solar is a convenience; you're better off setting up electrolysis stations if you want consistent power. And doing this requires a pretty big power buffer.[DOUBLEPOST=1368513099][/DOUBLEPOST]
Oh, you DO have reliquary?
Dave, The more you talk about your pack, the more I like it. I men, Reliquary is awesome!

I do not have a special 1.5.1 beta of reliquary, but would install it in a heartbeat. XR was one of my favorite mods from the DW20 pack. Sorry.

We do track MFR's betas VERY closely tho.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
After a while, EU becomes less of a critical, "need it NOW" resource, and more a way to show off, like "I just filled an IDSU with combustion engines!"

On the last 1.4.7 server I generated and used a constant 1000+ EU/t, through a single AESU. Pre-fusion, this required 70 diesel generators and a mixture of gas turbine and semi liquid.

...or, I could have built four solars.

That's the problem with EU generation.

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
On the last 1.4.7 server I generated and used a constant 1000+ EU/t, through a single AESU. Pre-fusion, this required 70 diesel generators and a mixture of gas turbine and semi liquid.

Yep.

I've found a bit of middle ground in that I use Steam Boilers that go through power converters. Sure, it's stupid-easy compared to using steam turbines, but steam turbines are impractical to the point of hilarity. Fourty-five blocks equal about 360~ eu/t through the converters.

Power converters help a great deal with the flaws of EU generation. I would, however, like to see SOMEONE come up with a nicely scaled eu generation system.

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
They're OP in Mekanism because it ignores the config for the IC2/EU conversion ratio. In the bigger scheme of things solar is a convenience; you're better off setting up electrolysis stations if you want consistent power. And doing this requires a pretty big power buffer.
Well, not taking into account IC conversion values, UE solars seem much more balanced in UE ecosystem than Advanced Solars are in IC... Or I am wrong?
I do not have a special 1.5.1 beta of reliquary, but would install it in a heartbeat. XR was one of my favorite mods from the DW20 pack. Sorry.

We do track MFR's betas VERY closely tho.
Oh I understand, I just thought you don't want to include it. Even though I didn't use XR much, it seems pretty good and "stylish".

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Yep.

I've found a bit of middle ground in that I use Steam Boilers that go through power converters. Sure, it's stupid-easy compared to using steam turbines, but steam turbines are impractical to the point of hilarity. Fourty-five blocks equal about 360~ eu/t through the converters.

I had 6 36HP powering 32 magma crucibles...and none of that lava was being used for power.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019

70 diesels? My god...were you running, like, 2 mass fabs at once, or what? I can hardly think of a reason why you'd need over 1000 EU/t for anything else, outside some overlarge GregTech setup or a massive, overly-complex ore processing system. Or a truly gigantic AE network.

ApSciLiara

Jul 29, 2019
70 diesels? My god...were you running, like, 2 mass fabs at once, or what? I can hardly think of a reason why you'd need over 1000 EU/t for anything else, outside some overlarge GregTech setup or a massive, overly-complex ore processing system. Or a truly gigantic AE network.
Nah, he had a lightning rod for all his UU matter generation needs. Which also left a glaring security hole into his otherwise secure matterfab room... :p

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019

No. A matterfab in 1.4.7 can take an unlimited amount of EU (in 8192EU packets) so there is no reason to use two unless you're producing one uumatter per tick, which 1000 EU wouldn't even begin to touch.

The AE used roughly 200EU/t, the rest was used electrolyzing clay, centrifuging lava, distilling oil and blast furnacing the results of the previous.

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
Matterfabricator is ridiculously slow and requires ridiculous amound of power in GregTech. You need 8192 Eu/t to run it at maximum speed even in the last version of GT where it was limited.
That's why Steam Turbines are underpowered.

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
Matterfabricator is ridiculously slow and requires ridiculous amound of power in GregTech. You need 8192 Eu/t to run it at maximum speed even in the last version of GT where it was limited.
That's why Steam Turbines are underpowered.

What, you don't want to make 82 steam turbines? ;)

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
No I don't. It's OK to make 80 solar panels for something lowpower, but freaking turbines that cost 259 steel each? I don't like the idea.
Oh, and even 80 panels is bad, I think. Meh. I guess the only fair power source in IC/GT is diesel generator or something like that... Maybe nuke.[DOUBLEPOST=1368517956][/DOUBLEPOST]
I run all of my GT machines off of steam. Power Converters. ;)
That's what I dislike about IC power. The generators are either OP or UP, but almost all of them are stupid...

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
That's what I dislike about IC power. The generators are either OP or UP, but almost all of them are stupid...

Hence why I don't use them.

I like EU, but I don't like the current sources of EU generation. Power converters was a godsend.

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
PC shouldn't be a generator. I don't like it for adding steam as type of power. It doesn't make any sence if physics terms and wrecks all the steam-based generators. But you already know my point.