IC2 is slowly dying out ?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Petrus

Jul 29, 2019
Nonsense, it's nomore so than Redpower is/was.
Aaaaaaaccutally the multi-furnaces from Mekanism (NEI factory) are... surprisingly rare. The closest you see is the induction furnace (2 slots) and the new steam furnace.

Yep. Mekanism does have some innovations. Not necessarily vast amounts, even. But some.

If you make a Hydrogen generator you're going to be getting may times that in yield, on a system that can also operate perpetually without the sky, and that doesn't cost many times that. The balance for the Hydrogen (and bio-generator) is that they require extra automation and the Hydrogen reactor requires a steady "kicker" power source.

From six hydros with no other form of primer, I now read a consistent peak of 47 kW. I used to get 50 from two. A single hydro is technically perpetual, but only if you're not trying to do anything else with it. If you put a load on it, it will shut down fairly quickly. Hydros only need a seperate primer if you're using Fluid Mechanics' pump to feed them water; but these days I use an aqueous accumulator instead. You ideally also want at least 6-12 batteries with hydros, since there is a bug which causes them to empty their own internal capacitor first; and if they burn through all of their internal hydrogen as well as their internal power, they will require a restart from an external source.

That's a good balance point, because these generators are still relatively feeble compared to the Atomic options. But, and evidently everyone agrees this part was cribbed from IC2, the name of the game is "strong power generator risks mayhem." Atomic Science's output start at greater than 4x the other generators if you do it right (and there IS design space in AS reactors, they are multiblocks with mechanics, you can build weaker heat-stable reactors or stronger phased period reactors), and they don't cost even close to 4x. They just have to be treated very carefully because they will cheerfully render your base utterly uninhabitable if done wrong.

I am assuming you are referring to fission reactors, here. As far as I know, deuterium fusion has no risk of explosive containment failure at all. Well, let me put that another way. If you don't seal it properly, then yes, it will definitely make a mess; but only in terms of a large fire (not an explosion) and it also burns out very quickly, because it destroys the generator itself in the process. Fusion is, however, very expensive; I've only built a very basic 15 turbine setup in Creative, and could probably only just afford it currently in Survival, and it would utterly expend my current resources.

And the best power source in UE requires that you build a multi-chunk mutiblock structure and power it with a huge sum of power over many minutes (basically you have to have a fusion reactor the first time you do it, which is itself nearly the size of a full chunk) then produce output over many runs to make antimatter for a fulmination generator, which is basically all the power you need ever if you can get it running; so there is a high motivation for that crazy level of investment.

And here's the reason that works: UE fusion and atomic options are expensive, but they're not proportionally expensive to the output. Most IC2 options try to balance the output power to the cost of the generator on a nearly 1:1 basis (hence nuclear eats so many resources), but this is a mistake because the automation, maintenance and risk costs already help offset that.

I don't think anyone denies UE was inspired by IC2 and by Redpower2. I think, design-wise, it's gone pretty far beyond IC2 in a number of important areas. Unfortunately, code quality is not one of those areas.

Agreed. An early Mekanism update trashed the first save I played it on, and within said save, going into my chunk loaded hydro generator room routinely caused my framerate to go into single digits. There was also a sound bug for a while where I was nearly deafened as a result of the machine sound effects being up too high. It's better now, however; although I did ultimately end up abandoning the Fluid Mechanics pump, because it just wouldn't work consistently with anything.

Greg is doing his thing, and crazily enough he now has native compatibility with UE power.

Maybe I should give Greg a chance one of these days, if only to find out what all the fuss is about.

I've seen a couple of YouTube videos which imply that some Minecraft players are in love with GregTech with almost the same level of militancy and fanaticism as others seem to despise it. It is interesting, the degree of polarisation which that mod seems to have caused.

EE2 got hate for this because it was often lumped in with IC2 where it is demonstrably harder to get free stuff. The resulting social dynamics (a weirdly strong culture of Minecraft PvP and grief at the time) made the IC2 die-hards really mad.

Ah, yes. The joys of multiplayer social dynamics. I finally had a gutful of that after my time with World of Warcraft. Where Minecraft is concerned, I will remain happily buried underground in my single player bunker, like some blissfully schizotypal echidna. ;)

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
From six hydros with no other form of primer, I now read a consistent peak of 47 kW. I used to get 50 from two. A single hydro is technically perpetual, but only if you're not trying to do anything else with it. If you put a load on it, it will shut down fairly quickly. Hydros only need a seperate primer if you're using Fluid Mechanics' pump to feed them water; but these days I use an aqueous accumulator instead. You ideally also want at least 6-12 batteries with hydros, since there is a bug which causes them to empty their own internal capacitor first; and if they burn through all of their internal hydrogen as well as their internal power, they will require a restart from an external source.

Yeah Im really excited to get into that middle tier and youtube it. I haven't seen many videos and they should be good. I'm excited to see how Mekanism works with Wind Power. it's new and you can't plug wires in yet. I wonder if that is their plan; you gotta shuffle the batteries.

I thnk IC2<->UE will remain problematic without a lot of coding work because IC2 cannot represent quantities small enough to quantify a joule, so they try to go the OTHER way instead.

I am assuming you are referring to fission reactors, here. As far as I know, deuterium fusion has no risk of explosive containment failure at all. Well, let me put that another way. If you don't seal it properly, then yes, it will definitely make a mess; but only in terms of a large fire (not an explosion) and it also burns out very quickly, because it destroys the generator itself in the process. Fusion is, however, very expensive; I've only built a very basic 15 turbine setup in Creative, and could probably only just afford it currently in Survival, and it would utterly expend my current resources.

Yeah. My observation from watching letsplays it's very easy to get the fusion build wrong and then boom, bad things happen. Fission is much cheaper and approachable, but fails in the most entertaining way with corruption, sickness, and an explosion. It's much more "fun" than the way ic2 nuclear fails.

Maybe I should give Greg a chance one of these days, if only to find out what all the fuss is about.

Greg is doing a good job at what he wants to do. It's not for everyone, but it is good.

Reactions: Whovian

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
You're saying "blah blah blah"

I'm hearing "IC2 is woefully out of balance and UUmatter energy cost is one of the prime ways"

This theoretical IC3 should rename the thing to an IridiumFabricator., and pop one out every 7x energy input. (Where X is 100 times current required energy for uumatter)

Are we talking about with, or without GregTech?

Without, obviously UU matter is stupid-easy to make. With... I dunno. 16 million EU per piece is a pretty hefty number. A thousand UU matter would set you back over 16 billion eu.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Jeeze dave, did you really have to regurgitate that much text?

Nonsense, it's nomore so than Redpower is/was.
Right back at you, if you made a list of machines in UE, RP and IC+GT, then all three would have exactly 2 machines that do the same thing, half of that down to even the GUI. However if you did the same for IC+GT and UE only, then you'd find that the machine alignt up to about 80%. Sure you wanna make machines you'll probably want circuitry, you want industrialization, then you'll probably go for better returns, but the similarities run much deeper here and UE could really do its own thing. Just look at XY. Things is they did want to emulate something that people already know to attract more people.

Aaaaaaaccutally the multi-furnaces from Mekanism (NEI factory) are... surprisingly rare. The closest you see is the induction furnace (2 slots) and the new steam furnace.
Okay, that was a stupid point, I agree, a great many machines use the furnace interface, for good reasons too. However I feel that if I was polishing IC2 up, then that's one of the things I'd touch up on for sure. That's why I made the point in the first place I guess, I feel that they missed a big chance. Heck, I'd probably make a great many machines true multiblocks and just get rid of GUIs entirely.

Mekanism gives you an ore doubling system that doesn't double all ores, but doubles ores necessary for power transmission. Later you can build the next piece (the purification chamber) and get ore tripling. I'm not sure how this is more or less lame than factorizations grinder->mixer->slag->crystalizer step.

Also note that the osmium ore outputs in the pulverizer.
It is more lame. The difference is subtle but the UE line is 3 machines which are virtually the same machine. They just take different inputs and give you different outputs. With no explanation as to why or how. It's three magic boxes which could've simply been one box that's three times as costly, takes three times as much power and takes flint as a secondary input. Factorization is different. It's... inspired by reality but still gamey enough to be fun.
  • The grinder will grind ores.
  • The mixer washes off silicates and natural contaminants
  • The Slag Furnace deoxidizes the ores and leaves them fairly clean
  • The Crystalizer disolves the metal in acid and lets it recrystalize as perfectly clean metal
Now compare that to "So take this gold ore here, squash it together with a piece of organic rock, you'll get three ...clumps back, then you can like grind those up and once you've got this dirty gold dust, just stick in this box here and it'll" hell - what does it even do? Transmute the extra flint in the gold ore into more gold by virtue of proximity? Is it magic? Did the wizard do it? DOES THE MACHINE CONTAIN NOTCHES BEARD? We'll never know.

Which is a funny and possibly clever choice. Flint is not exactly rare, but it's not exactly plentiful. I know of two ways to mass-produce flint in our modpack (which is pretty damn eclectic), and one of them is bugged. So basically you gotta mine or automine a lot to keep ore tripling. I sort of like the "feel" of Factorization's 4-step system, but I confess I never went for the crystalization step. You got like to 275% for most ores (better for silver) and that was fine!
Ignous extruder -> pulverizer (sand) -> barrel | pulverizer (gravel) -> pulverizer -> flint. Regardless of cross mod interactions, it's silly.

Crystalization is ballbusting hard, but fair, it's nice that you have to work for the really nice things. And that makes really good gameplay, kudos to neptune.

Tiered recipes are not ridiculous or bad. If anything, they're a service to the user. They're receiving wider adoption over time because they are good. (P.S., IC2 does it too and it's not the part of IC2 I have a problem with).
Tiered recipes like that are a plague that needs to be dealt with with extreme prejudice. A gear you make out of sticks and stone and iron and gold and diamonds isn't a diamond gear. It's a wood-stone-iron-gold-diamond gear. Simple as that. You don't make a transformer by building a 230 V -> 400 kV transformer and then adding and extra casing and some extra cables and a few batteries. You simply use bigger coils. Whoever came up with that stupid idea needs some prescribed medicine to help him get better.

I know it's all for balancing, but that's some seriously bad balancing. I know that the mod community can do better.

This part runs really long, so I'm gonna spoiler it. TL;DR: The relative costs of the generators and the incredible spread of power outputs between types means that UE's power balance is already better than Gregtech. The only place it breaks down is the default conversion to IC2 power means that you have Eff-You-Ic2-Power forever. The MJ conversion and steam conversion are not similarly broken, and the internal use of the power is consistent; a handful of advanced solars do not solve your power problems forever (or ever).

UE's power system and balance is way better off than IC2 right now. Look at the distribution of power output between mekanism generators, the simple coal generator, and the atomic science stuff. You can output (and consume) megawatts of energy in UE, but the very best passive generator is a feeble 9kw and is fairly expensive compared to every other generator out there. If you make a Hydrogen generator you're going to be getting may times that in yield, on a system that can also operate perpetually without the sky, and that doesn't cost many times that. The balance for the Hydrogen (and bio-generator) is that they require extra automation and the Hydrogen reactor requires a steady "kicker" power source.

That's a good balance point, because these generators are still relatively feeble compared to the Atomic options. But, and evidently everyone agrees this part was cribbed from IC2, the name of the game is "strong power generator risks mayhem." Atomic Science's output start at greater than 4x the other generators if you do it right (and there IS design space in AS reactors, they are multiblocks with mechanics, you can build weaker heat-stable reactors or stronger phased period reactors), and they don't cost even close to 4x. They just have to be treated very carefully because they will cheerfully render your base utterly uninhabitable if done wrong.

And the best power source in UE requires that you build a multi-chunk mutiblock structure and power it with a huge sum of power over many minutes (basically you have to have a fusion reactor the first time you do it, which is itself nearly the size of a full chunk) then produce output over many runs to make antimatter for a fulmination generator, which is basically all the power you need ever if you can get it running; so there is a high motivation for that crazy level of investment.

And here's the reason that works: UE fusion and atomic options are expensive, but they're not proportionally expensive to the output. Most IC2 options try to balance the output power to the cost of the generator on a nearly 1:1 basis (hence nuclear eats so many resources), but this is a mistake because the automation, maintenance and risk costs already help offset that.
You win this one, for now, UE wins in the generator department, mostly because the IC system is utterly shitty compared to that with it's "Midgame? What midgame?!" approach. However the problem is that most generators in UE have been getting nerfed consistently and what you speak of might be gone sooner than later. I'm sure I could raise several valid points here too, but I didn't dig deep enough quite yet.

No. It's just that the IC2 wrench mechanic is tedious and superfluous and radically inconsistent with the rest of the world and mod meta. No one really likes it, we've just all learned to deal because we make omni-wrenches and scowl at IC2's core mechanic here. I cannot see how we've decided that abandoning it one-uppsmanship. Basically no other mod does this.
No, the way IC does it is tedious and superfluous and stupid to boot, the mechanic is very sympathetic though. And I honestly wish that more techy mods employed it. I'm a motherfucking engineer, I wanna disassemble my fucking machines with a fucking wrench. Is that so much to ask?[/quote][/quote]

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Obviously I cannot peek into the minds of the devs and art team, but I do hang out in #universalelectricty on espernet sometimes and they do not talk about IC2 and how they can stroke their handlebar mustaches and tie RichardG to the tracks. They want cool industrial mods and they want to make a really big unified mod system that not only runs off one power system, but also unifies around a chemistry system and a mechanical system. It's a big job, no doubt.
Of course not, they're past that now with their own community and their own share of troubles they need to even out. But believing, with all the indirect evidence laid bare, that the initial impulse wasn't trying to simply take over the IC crowd is just lying to oneself.

But I'm not sure why IC2 must be the only game in town that does this. Greg is doing his thing, and crazily enough he now has native compatibility with UE power. Similarly the UE folks have done things to avoid breaking his universe (like changing platinum to osmium so as to not have oreDictWars). So I don't think that the devs themselves from the relative ecosystems are on particularly bad terms.
It doesn't have to, nor should it. However, what you said is that UE is better, cleaned up, refined IC.

It's not, not to the degree I and the other guys I was agreeing with imagine it. Once again, the community can do better.

Also, it's hilarious how you start of with "I tried to include a better IC" and then go "UE isn't IC!".

Serendipiteit

Jul 29, 2019
I'm using UE alongside IC2 in my server so people can take their preferred routes. I find most of them sticking to IC2 as they're more familiar to it, but I've also seen couple brave souls attempting UE as well. We won't say IC2 is 'dying out', but guess we can say that it's getting old - which is why we're using UE, IC2 and Gregtech at the same time. More choices the better.

That being said, I am really, really, really hating Mekanism. And without Mekanism UE is what...coal generator and fusion reactors? Mekanism's Joules to MJ and IC2 ratios are completely messed up, I'm seeing advanced solar panels giving 256EU/t. And their new 'universal cable' and 'mechanical pipe' crashes my server every time they're used. On rare cases server physics gets messed up as well - every time the Mekanism cables are placed, water flow slows down dramatically, gravel stops falling, and generally all sorts of bad stuffs happen. Anyone else experiencing this?

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
...Ya know what, I just feel like doing this, because reasons.

Thermal Expansion Ore Processing
Pros:
  • Smaller overall footprint space-wise due to configurable item I/O.
  • Power requirements are listed right in the machine's GUI, making things much simpler.