How many of you play with keepInventory on?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Do you use the keepInentory rule?

• Yes

Votes: 29 34.1%
  • No

Votes: 56 65.9%

• Total voters

Tyrindor

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly, I can't play without it anymore. Even with gravestones, it can be very annoying to recover your stuff and sometimes impossible.

Minecraft can be buggy at times, you can fall into the void or get knocked into a lava ocean making recovering your gravestone a very lengthy process. Some mods add strong monsters that can be almost impossible to kill early on (InfernalMobs). Worse yet, is when you break your gravestone and a Zombie picks up the most expensive item and then doesn't drop it when he dies.

It gets even worse when you start maxing out tinkerer's tools and other expensive/tedious items to make. Baubles and all the other inventory slots that mods add, result in breaking your gravestone and having to quickly find and equip all that stuff in order to pick everything back up. Then you got to go on a scavenger hunt to make sure you got it all. Keeping all my tools and regularly used items in a large bag and managing to lose it results in me not wanting to play anymore.

It's not all good though, having your inventory save is also a free teleport back home via ways of suicide. It also makes digging way easier because you know it's no biggy if you die and don't really need to find your tunnel back. I haven't found a way encourage less of this, other than sheer willpower. :)

So, how many of you use the "/gamerule keepInventory true" command?

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
What's Minecraft without the aspect of dying? Go play creative if you are afraid of losing your stuff.

Maybe that's just how they like to play...? Just a thought.

For serious worlds (or, at least, as serious as it gets for me), I keep it off. However, if its one of my "screwing around and/or learning things" worlds, I'll keep it on so I can mess around with fewer repercussions. Like my current SSP world: I have it on mostly because I'm trying to learn ChromatiCraft and some of the stuff you have to do/find can be somewhat...hazardous. Like getting zapped by pylons and such.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
What's Minecraft without the aspect of dying? Go play creative if you are afraid of losing your stuff.
I would say that it's nice to keep the challenge, but at the same time recovering your stuff is a bit tedious.
Terraria, for example, has keepInv on on easy difficulty - so for people playing with mods, it makes sense. The point of lots of modpacks is to build machines, not spend your time recollecting stuff. :p

As for whether I play with keepInv myself:
I used to a lot. That was mainly because I play on a small server with friends, and we cheat in stuff when it's too much work and turn off mobGriefing at the start. We're "filthy casuals." Deal with it. ;)
However, after actually using gravestones, I think I'll play without it for a bit. There's really no shame in turning it on; it just depends on your playstyle. :)

Reactions: RedBoss and Museli

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
There are options available in most of the big packs that make this config redundant except for very early game (on which case, I didn't have much to lose). Ender pouches are my go to early on. Find a desert and pick up some cinder pearls to make them without a nether visit. If you go IC2, you can compress the cinder pearls into blaze rods and have ender chests before a nether visit as well. I usually don't, but its an option. Things inside this inventory are immune to death, however you will have to recraft the pouch or have chest access to get to the contents.

TE satchels can be upgraded, but many forget (or didn't know) they can be enchanted. They don't have many options for enchanting, so its likely you will get the storage increase and/or soulbound (depends on the mods in your pack).

If you have the soulbound enchantment (might be from Witchery, but I'm not actually sure), you can get books of it (and many other books as well). A soulbound piece of gear remains in your inventory after death. With a proper Bibliocraft printing press setup, your books can be reprinted, or using Botania's enchanting mechanics, you can enchant all of your gear off the same books (they are not consumed during the process).

With these options, I can get the same results with less feeling like I completely removed the challenges that death represent in MC. To each his own. I try to inform rather than judge. Sometimes it works. Pansy. ;)

Reactions: Grato

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
I only do it on tough maps like ME4 as sometimes reaching your stone can be impossible. Then again I figured out too late that unloading a room will leave your grave behind letting you get it in a safer way.

Keep inventory does mess up a lot of mod mechanics though, I remember there was a duping issue with gravestones way back in the day where sometimes a grave would spawn even if keep inventory was on.
It's not the case now though.
I leave it off though because it feels cheesy, if you are stuck and far away from home you can just kill yourself for a free teleport. It kinda makes navigation and slightly more legit teleport mechanics a bit pointless.

Museli

Jul 29, 2019
I always turn on keep inventory and turn off mob griefing when playing modded. The standard rules are fine for me for vanilla, when it won't ever take much effort to replace an inventory, or much time to rebuild after an explosion. In a modpack, some of the systems I've built or items I've crafted would take far more time to replace than I'd like. After all, we've modded so much of the game already - why not mod the rules too, if you want? And if you don't want to - that's cool. It's the joy of Minecraft - you can play exactly how you would like to play.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I used to, but I just couldn't shake off the feeling that I was cheating, so I stopped using it.
I do however sometimes want to switch mobGriefing off... it's just annoying to constantly have to refill those creeper holes, but if I don't use keepInventory I don't want to use other commands aswell

Reactions: PierceSG

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Dying should have consequences; otherwise theres little point in having a death mechanic. If its only mildly annoying or getting tedious then you're dying too often, which means death itself is trivial- and really needs to pack more of a punch to say 'don't do that again'
Kinda obvious; but survival mode should have some aspect of keeping oneself alive at all cost.
Likewise a near death experience- or dragging oneself back from the brink- is so much more intense and rewarding when theres that weight hanging above you.​
The only real problem I have with it is the despawn timer; where you lose your stuff with no ingame explanation as to why you lost it.

Mobgreifing; creepers [and ghasts/wither] are fine- all the damage revolves around player skill and interaction. Its a fully preventable problem- these mechanics actually drive the game; you'll build better defences to keep the mobs out.
Endermen griefing however- is a right royal pain in the ass. Slowly picking your world apart and theres little you can do [in game] to prevent it.​

Reactions: SevenMass

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Early on in my worlds I do worry about loosing my inventory a bit. Mostly because at a certain stage it would require a lot of work getting the stuff back. Before that stage I don't care that much tbh. Cheap pickaxes and whatever armour... Later I would have resources enough to just go to my ME network and I would probably have my things back in an hour or less as I progress. But at that stage in between, that is where it hurts to loose your stuff. And I try my very best to prevent loosing them, and have contingencies in places should it happen.

One of the most important things I do is to keep all the stuff I am not actively using in an Ender Pouch. This way they are never lost should I loose the Pouch. I can simply access them from a Ender Chest back home or make a new Pouch. Second I (almost) always have a backup Jetpack and a bit of basic armour on standby near by spawn bed. Often it is simply my last set of armour that I keep around(as long as it is decent enough. For example atm in my current world I have my old Nano armour set with the Advanced Nano Chestplate on standby while using Quantum+GraviChest). Should I die, I want to be able to get back to my stuff ASAP.

And then I guess I must simply be very careful. Granted I am a complete wuss and I disable all monster difficulty increasing mods, spam Magnum Torches everywhere, wear semi OP armour(mostly for features), but I extremely rarely die. For example I haven't died yet in my current world that I have been playing very actively since October. Chalk it up to experience, luck or extreme preparations due to paranoia, I don't know :p

So in essence: I don't really care that much about my inventory, it is just tools and stuff that can be replaced. But if just one creeper touches something that I have spent time building!!! /gamerule mobGriefing false

Salamileg9

Jul 29, 2019
I personally do use it, mostly due to a nasty habit of not having a backup plan.
There's big difference between "not wanting to lose your hard work" and "not wanting to do hard work".

Reactions: Celestialphoenix

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I personally do use it, mostly due to a nasty habit of not having a backup plan.

There's big difference between "not wanting to lose your hard work" and "not wanting to do hard work".

how about instead of a backup plan you use a backup mod? :p
that way if you die you can reload an older backup, in exchange for your life you'll lose some progress though.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
how about instead of a backup plan you use a backup mod? :p
that way if you die you can reload an older backup, in exchange for your life you'll lose some progress though.
Losing progress is almost worse, although I do use AromaBackup.
For me personally, as I said, I play on a small-ish server with my friends. That makes it *really* hard to actually get everyone to play legit at once - there's too much going on. It's easier for me to make stuff easier overall. :p

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
I got into this bad habit playing on a server back in unleashed that had it on by default.

And now I play on a pack without zan's minimap (or whichever of the zan's/rei's let you have tp'able bookmarks) keepInventory lets me use "/kill" as a direct tp to my bed (at the cost of a few minutes of reduced LP from self-harm.

Simples :)

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Losing progress is almost worse, although I do use AromaBackup.
For me personally, as I said, I play on a small-ish server with my friends. That makes it *really* hard to actually get everyone to play legit at once - there's too much going on. It's easier for me to make stuff easier overall. :p

I personally use WorldStateCheckpoints set to create a backup every 10 minutes and to keep a total of 10 backups at a time.
the big plus to WorldStateCheckpoints is that you can load backups while you're playing that world, so you don't need to log out, restore the backup, and log back in.

I did this a few times in the past in some of my worlds, but I ended up deleting those worlds afterwards because it still felt really cheaty to me

Reactions: RedBoss