How many of you play with keepInventory on?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Do you use the keepInentory rule?

• Yes

Votes: 29 34.1%
  • No

Votes: 56 65.9%

• Total voters

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
If I die I switch to creative and fly back to my deathpoint, should actually just use keepInventory but my world doesn't have cheats available and is on a server now. Got no patience for remembering what stuff I had on me 6 months into my world, at that point death is an annoyance, early game I do it proper like tho. Have also disabled mobGriefing because enderminnies attacking creepers blew up my mobspawner about 10 times.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
If I die I switch to creative and fly back to my deathpoint, should actually just use keepInventory but my world doesn't have cheats available and is on a server now. Got no patience for remembering what stuff I had on me 6 months into my world, at that point death is an annoyance, early game I do it proper like tho. Have also disabled mobGriefing because enderminnies attacking creepers blew up my mobspawner about 10 times.

do you have the option of teleporting to spawnpoints using JourneyMap? if so you could just teleport to the waypoint of your death

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
do you have the option of teleporting to spawnpoints using JourneyMap? if so you could just teleport to the waypoint of your death

No it says I do not have permission even though I'm op'ed on my server. Hardly ever die so it's not too much of an issue, last death was like a month ago from a lag induced unstable ingot explosion.

Mindfeak926

Jul 29, 2019
TE satchels can be upgraded, but many forget (or didn't know) they can be enchanted. They don't have many options for enchanting, so its likely you will get the storage increase and/or soulbound (depends on the mods in your pack).

Pansy. ;)
Man i wish i knew about this before i lost all my TiCo tools and Reinforced satchel to a collapsing RFTools age earlier today..... Live and learn I guess...or Die and Cry

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
The keepInventory option is a too global solution to the problem for my taste. However easy I make my games - by creating OP gear, by switching to peaceful in times when I'm just not in a mind to pay attention to mobs - and regardless of the crazy and nonsensical ways to die that make no sense and whose consequences can, as I see it, legitimately be cheated away, there are still legitimate deaths whose consequences I wouldn't want to avoid.

So, when I was killed by one of those Crimson Clerics added by TC while exploring the world in order to find exactly these, I took the consequences. I waited until it was day, took my reserve jetpack and my old alumite pick out of my backup gear chest and went back to get my stuff back. Not having to make that backup chest in the first place would've lessened the game for me.

I would turn off mob griefing if I knew how. How do I do it?

Meanwhile, I'm a safety freak in-world. I rush to the Magnum Torch, I don't go on long exploration tours before I have an armored jetpack and I tend to have huge power reserves and ridiculously OP gear (seriously, I recommend the Draconic Bow enchanted with Power V and Infinity - it's modded MC's machine-gun equivalent, and it can one-shot Endermen), so death is not usually an issue in my worlds. Those resulting from glitches or nonsensical mechanics, I avoid by time travel (i.e. loading a backup version of my world, losing an average of 15 minutes of playing time)

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
I'd argue that you're supposed to hate dying. I think that tension adds a lot to the gameplay.

Yes but even Dark Souls doesnt make you drop all your items when you die. Its just annoying. I know I am missing out on certain challenges but its so easy to switch to peaceful mode when I know I am about to die.

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
I played with keep inventory on when I decided not to play blood and bones on hardcore after dying half a dozen times to a horde of mobs spawning right next to me off of a typically present minecraft lighting glitch.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
I think the core issue is the number of mods that add items that do not (effectively) have durability and hence can be used indefinitely.

This changes the players perceived severity of character death.

Keepinventory I find lame as it means there is no incentive to wait until one is properly prepared before trying, say, a twilight forest boss. And perhaps succeeding by simply running back repeatedly.

Gravestones have become ubiquitous and they still seem too easy. But I don't know what happens if you fall out the world. And last time I fought the wither and died with one the next wither projectile that came along as I died blew the gravestone up and scattered its contents intO the path of the next.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I like the consequences of death so I never play with it on. I will say that gravestones felt cheaty to me and now I'm too accustomed to not have have them. Plus with mods, I've had too many glitch deaths. I feel the gravestones are justified.

Playing with Infernal mobs and Enderzoo made me consider turning off mob griefing. Enderminnies attacking over charged creepers turned the unlit perimeter of a test world into a warzone. Craters everywhere. They even started a wildfire in my roofed forest because of summoned lightning.

I settled for turning off the enderminny creeper aggro. That's a complete game changer that I really do not enjoy.

Jakeb

Jul 29, 2019
Personally I don't use it, but not because it's cheating. Rather I think it just makes the whole mob aspect of the game boring and pointless. If I lose a really important item or items I'll switch into cheat mode and cheat them back, but only those items. This is the best solution for me because it allows me to have fun fighting mobs when I want to but when I'm pursuing another part of the game I don't have to worry about losing important items.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Earlier on our server, a friend and I decided it was time to storm the End for some Draconian Ore. We found and secured the portal (Mystcraft intralinking books to our Great Hall), dolled ourselves up in our best gear, grabbed some potions, and away we went.

Cakewalk. That dragon never saw it coming, let alone hit us. My friend grabbed the dragon heart, and we decided that since the dragon was a complete joke, we would go bang out a Guardian for another heart.

Flying 10k from the end, we found what we were looking for. We prepared ourselves, and were promptly swallowed whole. Both of us. No contest. As easily as we had beaten the first, his big brother avenged him.

Now, if we had KeepInventory on, we would have just marched back for a rematch. Because we didn't, our game changed. Both of our top tier armor sets, my good pick, our best weapons, and the loot from our trip thus far were gone. Not truely gone, as they were in gravestones, but those gravestones were 10k from the End, over a void, guarded by a dragon that didn't care about our prized armor. Hell, he may have eaten the graves too. Who knows?

Point is, our choice had consequences. We overestimated ourselves and underestimated our enemy. Because of that, our game became tight on precious resources again for a while. Sure, we had to recraft everything. We even had to go get more components. We had to actually work to regain our progress. It made me think carefully about my new approach, and hate that dragon with my very core. It made me appreciate the things I had lost (little things like step assist), and it was a great achievement to eclipse our previous level of power.

Yes, it was a giant pain in the ass.
I wouldn't have it any other way.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I hate any distractions to my building of my massive factory. I am not a hardcore player in anyway.
My basic attitude is like that. However, I prefer do get around that with in-world mechanisms as much as possible. That anchors me better in the world I'm playing in, and immersion is something I care about. I can't guarantee it, but it may just be that there was a survival game wherein I never killed a single mob by hand, and never died except from technical glitches, like MC believing that my latest jump meant I wanted to stick my head into a rock and keep it there until I suffocated.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I just realized something. My position here totally depends on what pack I'm playing.

For the most part I've been agreeing with Wagon and anyone else who focuses on tech/factories. But that's because I've been playing almost nothing but tech mods lately.

But place me back in a Crash Landing scenario and its completely different. For a survival game, death is part of the experience. And like Ieldra mentions above, immersion is important.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I just realized something. My position here totally depends on what pack I'm playing.

For the most part I've been agreeing with Wagon and anyone else who focuses on tech/factories. But that's because I've been playing almost nothing but tech mods lately.

But place me back in a Crash Landing scenario and its completely different. For a survival game, death is part of the experience. And like Ieldra mentions above, immersion is important.
Absolutely. I never cheated with the hunger and death mechanics in Agrarian Skies. Meanwhile, from a certain point onwards in a regular sandbox game I find nothing about cheating a healing axe in. I've dealt with food production, now the inconvenience of eating doesn't need to be on my mind any more. The various auto-feeding mechanics would work, but you'd still need the food, and that takes a very precious inventory slot.

Reactions: Pyure

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I play on a server so I can't turn anything on or off... but the server does a reboot every few hours (automatic) and there's no warning. This morning I was transferring a stack (yes, 64) of IndustrialCraft2 Semi-Fluid Generators from my inventory into a chest, and right at that instant the server decided it was reboot-time. Lovely. When I re-logged, the stack was gone, it's not in my inventory and it's not in the chest. Apparently it was "in transit" during the reboot and they just vanished. A full day's worth of hard work (and materials) lost.

I doubt "KeepInventory" would help me in this case anyways. Damn games. I guess this is God's way of telling me it's time to take a break and go enjoy the sunshine. o_O