How many of you play with keepInventory on?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Do you use the keepInentory rule?

• Yes

Votes: 29 34.1%
  • No

Votes: 56 65.9%

• Total voters

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Personally, I play in peaceful until I get to a point where I have armour which means I have less than a 1% chance to get murderized. I don't find mobs to be an enjoyable part of the game.
However, even though I don't fight mobs, I generally have keepInv. on, just because I am my own worst enemy for navigating (I don't take torches when I'm in caves, as I don't need to stop mobs spawning), so I go wondering around darkish caves (I can't play MC without brightness on max) and get lost very quickly, so dying in the caves is a pain, even with a minimap mod that marks your deathpoint

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Youall need to grow some.

These are the exact reasons I play with keepInventory false - otherwise I am my own worse enemy for navigating. And start to make morally dubious choices - such as treating nearby lava lakes as a quick "portal" home.

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
Then why aren't you playing creative?

Or peaceful?
I for one see the "engineering" as far more interesting than the combat yet my favorite packs are those that try to build in extreme levels of threat. The engineering is a means by which you cope with a hostile environment. Without that environment contributing a level of threat you may as well be sitting in front of the TV playing with Legos.

I for one do not play with keep inventory on, but as I generally prefer hardcore games it really wouldn't matter much if I did. As far as I'm concerned if mistakes lack consequence I loose interest very quickly.

Aetherpirate

Jul 29, 2019
Like many others, I use the gravestone mod. I die a LOT in the early game, I find the tension of having to be careful fun and immersive. Later, when I have a jetpack and piles of resources, having to rebuild stuff isn't so daunting.

I have had to restore from backup a few times while learning how to not make an ReactorCraft fission reactor.

MrCervelo

Jul 29, 2019
Before the gravestone mod, I would often turn it on because losing stuff at various points was really really frustrating. Now that gravestone mods tend to in most mod packs that I play, I tend to rely on that.

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019

Or peaceful?

IagISFC.jpg

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019

Or peaceful?
Because there is a middle ground. A play style between creative and regular survival.
Players that like how limited materials challenges them a little, but not too much.

It's like EE2 players, after a while they become MORE godlike then vanilla creative. Why not just turn creative on at the start? It's probably because that slight struggle setting up your condensers at the beginning makes the experience more rewarding.

In Minecraft difficulty comes in a spectrum, especially in modded play as so many features can be added and removed at leisure.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

MrCervelo

Jul 29, 2019
Because there is a middle ground. A play style between creative and regular survival.
Players that like how limited materials challenges them a little, but not too much.

It's like EE2 players, after a while they become MORE godlike then vanilla creative. Why not just turn creative on at the start? It's probably because that slight struggle setting up your condensers at the beginning makes the experience more rewarding.

In Minecraft difficulty comes in a spectrum, especially in modded play as so many features can be added and removed at leisure.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

That's pretty much how I feel about it, Minecraft, even vanilla has several ways to be played, you can just play creative and build something amazing, or you can play SSP/SMP and still build something amazing. With mods the sky's the limit, but it really does allow people to play how they choose. I'm not going to judge someone for playing the game in a way that I would not choose to do so. And yes, I've played with keep inventory and mob griefing off, but still in survival.

Reactions: SpitefulFox

Nedrith

Jul 29, 2019
Personally in single-player I always play with mob griefing off. I like to afk and I have things going on in RL sometimes. I don't really want to segment my structure with doors everywhere as I hate doors. When I afk or just plain out am too busy crafting things I don't a random creeper blowing up my base or making a random hole in the terrain because one random spot wasn't lit up and that random spot just happened to of spawned a creeper. Even still I do my best to make sure all my mob contraptions could work with mob griefing turned on.

Keep inventory is always off. I like having a penatly for dying and gravestones already remove most of the risk of dying. I don't want death to be a I'm going to die so I can return home sort of deal. We have mods that allow that but I hate a lot of player teleporting.

No one

Jul 29, 2019
I always play with keepInventory off. However I do sometimes literally cheat death if I am about to die very far away from my spawn. If I'm in the nether and I get hit by a small source of lava while mining, I activate creative mode a few seconds before I lose all my hearts. Gravestones are of no use to me if I have to take a 25 minute walk through a nether using a backup jetpack that's slower than sprinting to get to it. I dont ever cheat if I get killed by a mob, only the environment. I think cheating every once in a while is ok, as long as you don't do it too much. Minecraft is not a game about "don't die", there's really nothing wrong with wanting to skip 2 hours of recrafting items that you can easily afford to make.

Reactions: SpitefulFox
T

TooltipTinkerer

I used to play with it every time I booted up a world, but I haven't played since early 2016. I'd guess that I had to have it on because I used to have this God-awful anxiety when playing, and I hardly scraped through the Enderdragon fight. I recently started a new Vanilla game, and I'm much less anxious when playing. I don't really feel the need to have Keep Inventory set to true. Hopefully, my defeat of the Ender Dragon won't be so sloppy this time around. I hope she's ready to fight.

Really, the worst thing that's happened is my death due to lag when charting a new map. I jumped into water, but my timing was unfortunate. The game froze, and I drowned. I suppose it won't be too much of a catastrophe, all I lost was a good deal of iron gear and my 1:8 set of maps. It's the 40 levels that's going to be the biggest pain to replenish.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
I've stopped in 1.10 because gravestones keeps changing the config to bring its' horrid nonsense back every time I update the pack.

M

MikW

I turn it on only when I glitch and I'm stuck in my bed and have to /kill. Otherwise I never turn it on.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I've stopped in 1.10 because gravestones keeps changing the config to bring its' horrid nonsense back every time I update the pack.

I can't help but feel having a gravestone mod allows the same functionality, with just slightly more hassle as punishment compared to KeepInventory. Just like any other config, it's nice to have to option. Hardcore (I may rage quit anyway if I lose the wrong batch of inventory), Vanilla (you have to go get it before despawn, lava is the end of it), Gravestone (you have to get it back, but no despawn chance, plus protection from lava), KeepInventory (because screw walking all the way back there).

Options are good.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I can't help but feel having a gravestone mod allows the same functionality, with just slightly more hassle as punishment compared to KeepInventory. Just like any other config, it's nice to have to option. Hardcore (I may rage quit anyway if I lose the wrong batch of inventory), Vanilla (you have to go get it before despawn, lava is the end of it), Gravestone (you have to get it back, but no despawn chance, plus protection from lava), KeepInventory (because screw walking all the way back there).

Options are good.

I liked the gravestone mod Fireball1725 worked on... There was a chance you'd have to fight your own zombie to get your stuff back. :D

The one thing I dislike about the current FtB favorite gravestone mod is that darned list. I don't need it and I hate throwing anything away :)

I thought maybe there could be a way to recycle the list into normal paper but then realized that all you would need is a tall precipice (or even a pillar with a ladder) and you'd have an endless supply of paper :D

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
I liked the gravestone mod Fireball1725 worked on... There was a chance you'd have to fight your own zombie to get your stuff back. :D

The one thing I dislike about the current FtB favorite gravestone mod is that darned list. I don't need it and I hate throwing anything away :)

I thought maybe there could be a way to recycle the list into normal paper but then realized that all you would need is a tall precipice (or even a pillar with a ladder) and you'd have an endless supply of paper :D
One thing about the list: doesn't it have a finding functionality? So if you hold the list, a faint black smoky thing appears above it and points towards your gravestone? I realise that its somewhat superfluous if you have deathpoints on, but imagine if you didn't - that could be really handy!