How do you feel about AE2?

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I don't like the meteors. They're ugly. They fuck up nice biomes. I would rather trade with a villager if plates must be a gated mechanic.

I don't like how it took a sci-fi turn. I was perfectly fine with Controllers and everything else looking like regular computer parts.

In the end, though, those things matter little to me because the only thing I'll do with AE is make one drive, one interface, and ten storage cells. I'll take all of that and then stick it at the end of my Logistics Pipes system.

it'd be nice if this was a configuration option to have the meteors spawn underground (don't know if this is already the case)
instead of the meteor appearing above ground the meteor would instead be underground, as if it crashed centuries ago into the earth
the lower a meteor is, the more valuable the resources are that you find with it

you could still perhaps have some indication above ground that a meteor crashed at that location, perhaps a certain hole structure into the landscape, but not too obvious, with often water inside it

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Seems to me a lot of the changes was to force AE into midgame territory so people have a reason to store stuff in other ways early on.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
My question is "why?"
Why does it have to be more time intensive? What does it add to the enjoyment of the mod?

Because this is the vision that Algorithm has for his mod. Apparently, AE systems managing your inventories on Steve's Day 2 was not in his vision.

I would adjust to the new normal he has given us, or there are other alternatives. :)

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
i still use buildcraft as my main transport/sorting mod. i also use IE as my browser.
I would strike you down in righteous wrath, but you have inflicted more punishment upon yourself than I could ever hope to deliver. Death, at this point, would be a mercy. :p

In all seriousness, AE2 is more... decentralized. Yes, I think that's a good word for it. You can still get some amazing autocrafting going, if you set it up right, however you aren't going to use a single multiblock structure to do it. Think less 'do all the things' and more 'dedicated systems' and you'll probably see the merits of the new system.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Ive always had a problem with how AE completely kills all other sorting and item storage methods, which used to be a fun thing to put together and see working. The problem with those systems is they always end up overwhelmed with lots of junk in big modpacks. Which is why AE became almost essential.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
My question is "why?"
Why does it have to be more time intensive? What does it add to the enjoyment of the mod?

While some may enjoy the "time sink" of some mods (looking at you here Gregtech LOL) a lot (as the backlash that still persists today demonstrates) of people don't like added tedium/steps just for the sake of added tedium/steps.
I stopped playing EQ and WoW because I realized the total time sink a lot of the things I wanted were, and decided I didn't want to do that anymore. This is why, while I respect Gregtech's creator, I avoid doing anything that involves IC2 and the Gregtech mods at all costs.

Apart from this, I think it will be interesting learning all the fun stuff you will be able to do in 1.7x AE... I just don't look forward to the forced time sink.
A majority? You realize us FTB forum goers and redditors are a minority right? Everybody else is too busy playing to care. The "majority" you speak of are the majority of the vocal players.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
I never used the word majority, but if you wish to read a lot as majority.. that's your prerogative :) Maybe it's because I brought up Gregtech.. /shrug...

I'm not hating on AE2, I said I look forward to trying out the new version of the mod, just not looking forward to the time sink.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
I thought this was amusing as well

While some may enjoy the "time sink" of some mods (looking at you here Gregtech LOL) a lot (as the backlash that still persists today demonstrates) of people don't like added tedium/steps just for the sake of added tedium/steps.
Might I direct your attention to HQM? This backlash you're talking about is very choosy with which they lash at.

I understand you're not hating on the mod, that you're just not looking forward to the "grind," I get that, as a grizzled old EQ veteran myself. The big difference between EQ and this mod is that with EQ you knew what you were getting yourself into. The mod is a continually evolving, living thing.

The author looked at the last iteration and decided that it did not fit what he was aiming for and made changes. This does not mean that Algo felt the mod was not tedious enough! People were getting AE far too early in 1.6.4 and prior, and that is a fact. There were a lot of complaints about this. A Lot more than I have seen so far about the changes...

Reactions: Wagon153

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
I hated AE2 at first, the changes were more of a culture shock as I simply wasn't expecting such vast changes. But once I got my head around what Algo & Co had done I love it.

You can quite easily automate the inscribers once you get going and also automate the crystal growth too.

Bottom line is, learn it and give it a chance, it's much more of a challenge than AE1 is and gives it a superb complexity that makes you enjoy it much more IMO.

Reactions: midi_sec

DaMueller

Jul 29, 2019
the other problem with presses is that it's hard to automate; you need 4 presses for the plate recipes and 2 channels per press, then you need another press and 4 more channels to do the last step

I mean you can put it in a subnet but then that is a subnet for each type
With the help of EnderIO I managed to automate them using one Channel.

+Refined Relocation and it even looks completely clean :)

Topic: I like it! No more just putting hundreds of things down and everything works.. Some thinking for such a powerful system should be OK...

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
the other problem with presses is that it's hard to automate; you need 4 presses for the plate recipes and 2 channels per press, then you need another press and 4 more channels to do the last step

I mean you can put it in a subnet but then that is a subnet for each type
It's simple, really:

You set up four plate recipes in four separate presses. Each one hooked up to an ME Interface. Total channels: 4
Output happens automatically via Transfer Node. Total channels: 0 (they loop back to one of the interfaces).

Now set up a single press with an import bus for redstone and silicon chipset, plus one interface with three recipes for deciding which proc you want. Total channels: 3.
Output is likewise automated with ExUtil. Total channels: 0.

One crafting CPU block: 1 channel

Total channels: 8

One ad-hoc sub-network: complete.

Last edited:
Reactions: RenzosNips

Tylor

Nov 24, 2012
My personal biggest problem with AE2 is that by the time I can actually make that sprawling autocrafting-everyting AE2 system, I have run out of things to do in this particular world and it's time to move on.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
My personal biggest problem with AE2 is that by the time I can actually make that sprawling autocrafting-everyting AE2 system, I have run out of things to do in this particular world and it's time to move on.
Maybe single, huge, sprawling AE's are a thing of the past?

God I hope so. Let's get some problem solving skills and creativity involved this time around, instead of "fuzzy bus all the things"

RJS

Jul 29, 2019
It's simple, really:

You set up four plate recipes in four separate presses. Each one hooked up to an ME Interface. Total channels: 4
Output happens automatically via Transfer Node. Total channels: 0 (they loop back to one of the interfaces).

Now set up a single press with an import bus for redstone and silicon chipset, plus one interface with three recipes for deciding which proc you want. Total channels: 3.
Output is likewise automated with ExUtil. Total channels: 0.

One crafting CPU block: 1 channel

Total channels: 8

One ad-hoc sub-network: complete.
For the processor crafting, you can get away with using only 1 channel. I set up an interface firing into a chest, pulled everything out using item conduits, and filtered the outputs so everything went into the right place. Required a bit more space behind the wall, but that's what underground bases are for :p

Tylor

Nov 24, 2012
Are channels that big of an issue? As far as I understand, you can get 128 channels per 1 ME Controller block.
Expensive part is making and powering all that wires.

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
but you can put all your storage on a subnet for one channel (storage bus on an interface of the subnet)