How do you feel about AE2?

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hiding content behind gimmicks is the biggest reason I never get into Thaumcraft. No insult meant to Azanor, he's a very talented developer and his mod has great potential power, but the research mechanic is just another annoying gimmick, to me.

Thing is, Thaumcraft research isn't RNG. You know the aspects that are required, and if you want, there are many "this is how to do it" screen shots or even the "Thaumcraft Research Helper" http://ythri.github.io/tcresearch/

Plates are totally RNG.
Again, please don't think I'm hating on the mod, I will end up using it, and will probably enjoy the non RNG/grindy parts a lot!

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
Thing is, Thaumcraft research isn't RNG. You know the aspects that are required, and if you want, there are many "this is how to do it" screen shots or even the "Thaumcraft Research Helper" http://ythri.github.io/tcresearch/
It used to be fairly RNG.
Not very but kind of

Sent from my angry toaster to distract him from destroying the planet. Some appliances just want to watch the world burn.

Ommina

Aug 14, 2014
In defense of the in-world crafting -- one thing I believe people miss here is that it can be started early. Really early. Yes, it takes hours to complete, but it requires no power generation whatsoever, and nothing more technologically advanced than an iron pick.

So if you're planning on starting an AE2 network later, get those crystals bubbling away while you're still deciding between different shades of cobble for a nice hut. That way you're not faced with hours of waiting when it comes time to actually consume them.

Ommina

Aug 14, 2014
This is where the argument falls,
I'm a grown-ass woman. I don't have those hours to spend waiting.

Absolutely, I wholly agree. Which is really my point: get the crystals started early, while you're doing other things, so you don't have to wait later.

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
Absolutely, I wholly agree. Which is really my point: get the crystals started early, while you're doing other things, so you don't have to wait later.
That's stupid though. You're being made to wait because reasons.

There's simply no need for it, it's soul purpose is to put some recipes behind a time wall, this ain't an iOS game just let me play! And even if it's easy to do it's a pain in the ass later when you have to manually do it without no means of automation in which the mod by design is created to provide you with, not to mention those slow ass inscribers you have to add items into one by freaking one. I mean seriously, when did ae turn into ex nihilo?

Sent from my angry toaster to distract him from destroying the planet. Some appliances just want to watch the world burn.

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
I'm starting to think AE2 was built with Skyfactory and AgSkies in mind, having said that.

RenzosNips

Jul 29, 2019
By the time you "need" the long growing seeds, you should have plenty of power and 4 growth accelerators. The actual things you need combine in a matter of seconds.
The only merit I see is that I've had issues finding charged quartz. The spawns are turned down in my pack, so that's on my end probably, but I do agree with it.

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
By the time you "need" the long growing seeds, you should have plenty of power and 4 growth accelerators. The actual things you need combine in a matter of seconds.
The only merit I see is that I've had issues finding charged quartz. The spawns are turned down in my pack, so that's on my end probably, but I do agree with it.
You can manually charge quartz.

RenzosNips

Jul 29, 2019
You can manually charge quartz.

Only after your 1st piece for the charger (This was AE2-R0 though when I had the issue, haven't restarted my world for AE2-R1).

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013

Doing other things like going out, reading a book, watching a movie, while alt tabbed out of the game or AFK next to your little pool of water?
Don't go mining, you know how caves can go. Go back to your pool after mining for an hour, you wonder why they aren't grown yet.
Woops, chunk wasn't loaded....

Hypothetical musing :)

C

chbachman

I get people not liking presses, although they are interesting to automate.
I even get people not liking in world crafting, although i agree that by the time you really need them, you can get 4 crystal growth accelerators to make the growth a lot faster.

What i don't get is the hate against the world gen. I get that it might tear up a biome, but he has a AWESOME spawning algorithim, as previously stated. It is also not really pure RPG if he gives you a easy way to find them, and a way to copy them, if you have another player that has them. That way on singleplayer you just have to explore a little, but then you can easily find them by using the compass. If someone else found them already, ask them for it to copy. Its not that hard people.

Ommina

Aug 14, 2014
Doing other things like going out, reading a book, watching a movie, while alt tabbed out of the game or AFK next to your little pool of water?
Don't go mining, you know how caves can go. Go back to your pool after mining for an hour, you wonder why they aren't grown yet.
Woops, chunk wasn't loaded....

Heh, well, yes. You make a good point. I more had in mind "spending time building buildings, digging up the landscape, and doing general nearby stuff". But I concede that "go manually mining for more resources" is certainly a very typical and expected early game task.

On the subject of presses (which I'm keeping quiet on), I note last Sunday's AE2 build included an config option to not spawn presses is meteorite chests ("Added SpawnPressesInMeteorites Setting to disable Meteorite Chests"). Presumably if it can be disabled in the sky chests, they will be available by some other means. Has any explored if this is the case? (I have not, but will later this evening when the opportunity presents.)

MrKunji

Jul 29, 2019
About the Inscribers: people forget that they can be rotated, thus, changing their input sides.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I think some folks are missing what I believe to be the heart of Scubbism's post. That being that she doesn't have the time to dedicate to the game altogether to wait on a something that takes hours to finish crafting, even if she does other things in the meantime. In SMP, this might not be a problem, with chunk loaders, but that doesn't negate the simple fact of the matter: the damned things take forever to grow without acceleration. That's...that's not even GregTech level tedious, that's something so unfathomably beyond it that its difficult to fully comprehend. If memory serves, you need those pure crystals for certain important things to get the mod working early on; don't ask what they are, I don't remember. However, the current growth mechanic is just plain unbelievable. Its like something out of a gaming myth, its like effing Herobrine. Now, if the amount of time it takes is configurable, I'll recant most of this with the addition that the default needs to be a hell of a lot lower. Remember, children, defaults matter.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I still fail to see where 'hours' is being tossed around. It takes a minute tops to make a fluix crystal. The pure crystals are not necessary to build the infrastructure to get the blocks that make the crystals grow faster, which DRAMATICALLY reduces wait times. Oh, and there's no limit to how many seeds sit in a single pool. So you can have a couple hundred all running simultaneous if you wanted to.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Oh and those complaining about the RNG of the meteors? I never made a compass and still managed to find anywhere between 2-6 meteors in my first 20 minutes in the world, 10 worlds in a row(test worlds.) RNG? Yes. Rare? Lolno.

Ommina

Aug 14, 2014
A followup from my earlier post.

You can, in fact, config away the meteors, and the presses inside the meteor chests.

However, I was unable to find any alternate means if getting either the presses, or the sky stone required for the controller. Spamming in villager eggs, I could not find a villager willing to trade for presses or stone, but I can't claim to have made an exhaustive search either.

Or maybe removing the meteorite is there to allow map / pack makers other means to provide entry into the mod. Dunno.

So there ya go. Take it for what you will.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
A followup from my earlier post.

You can, in fact, config away the meteors, and the presses inside the meteor chests.

However, I was unable to find any alternate means if getting either the presses, or the sky stone required for the controller. Spamming in villager eggs, I could not find a villager willing to trade for presses or stone, but I can't claim to have made an exhaustive search either.

Or maybe removing the meteorite is there to allow map / pack makers other means to provide entry into the mod. Dunno.

So there ya go. Take it for what you will.

Could be the start of an alternate method coming in later versions. Interesting.

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
You don't need pure crystals at all starting out. I made a system of 5 press machines, a charger and 4 crystal growth accelerators before I made a single pure crystal.