How do you feel about AE2?

unknown zombie

Jan 31, 2013
Florida
A followup from my earlier post.

You can, in fact, config away the meteors, and the presses inside the meteor chests.

However, I was unable to find any alternate means if getting either the presses, or the sky stone required for the controller. Spamming in villager eggs, I could not find a villager willing to trade for presses or stone, but I can't claim to have made an exhaustive search either.

Or maybe removing the meteorite is there to allow map / pack makers other means to provide entry into the mod. Dunno.

So there ya go. Take it for what you will.
That must have been added pretty recently. I'm glad; I'll be more than happy to shitcan the meteors and Minetweaker in my own recipe for the skystone and presses.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I stand by what I said earlier about Meteors being ugly and ruining biomes, but I do have to give the guy props about the spawning algorithm. I do appreciate the way it looks like they came in from an angle, shearing off trees and rock faces.

View attachment 12703
I like the meteors. Having generated over 30 worlds testing my pack, and finding only a few meteors (they seem to be rare for me on the surface), those that I have found have always impressed me. Found one that had landed in a beach, as a result, there were random glass blocks all over the place. Found another sitting in it's own pool of lava, and one time a double meteor that made an interesting S shape of the landscape.
For me, I like finding things in world gen, adds to the exploration. Sure it might make a mess of part of a biome, but come on, there are plenty more trees in the forest...

But I do believe there should be alternative crafting recipes for the plates and seeds, recipes that are more expensive long term in resources (not time), compared with finding/building a more efficient system.
You should either save time and waste resources, or save resources and waste time.

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
I like the meteors. Having generated over 30 worlds testing my pack, and finding only a few meteors (they seem to be rare for me on the surface), those that I have found have always impressed me. Found one that had landed in a beach, as a result, there were random glass blocks all over the place. Found another sitting in it's own pool of lava, and one time a double meteor that made an interesting S shape of the landscape.
For me, I like finding things in world gen, adds to the exploration. Sure it might make a mess of part of a biome, but come on, there are plenty more trees in the forest...

But I do believe there should be alternative crafting recipes for the plates and seeds, recipes that are more expensive long term in resources (not time), compared with finding/building a more efficient system.
You should either save time and waste resources, or save resources and waste time.

the alternative for seeds is using the non-pure crystals directly; expensive long term? yes you miss out on the doubling

Folanlron

Jul 29, 2019
I really like all of what hes done with AE2, made it more endgame the press plates don't bother me at all, server/single player you get them all with a few quarry's anyway.

And being a network engineer, I wish p2p was this easy, course I'd probably be out of a job if that was the case hah.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah...in AE1, I didn't even start AE until I could build at least a pair of 4k cells. The starters can't hold items for shit, and that's kind of a problem for me.

Reactions: RedBoss

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
That would significantly delay your ability to actually... oh, I dunno... store your stuff. Isn't that kind of the whole point of the mod?
In the world I did this in, I'm running off of 4 Golden Chests. I'm in no huge hurry to get more storage because my chests are only half full and can be upgraded.

And actually, I think that the entire point was to delay how quickly you could get a network up. If you don't even have the resources for creating and powering the growth accelerators (which aren't even expensive themselves) you probably aren't ready to start with the mod.

Reactions: RenzosNips

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Eh, in my current world I have fully upgraded JABBA barrels for majority of my resources and I have yet to even start on my AE system...

Procrastinator gonna procrastinate. :(

Reactions: RedBoss

RenzosNips

Jul 29, 2019
And actually, I think that the entire point was to delay how quickly you could get a network up. If you don't even have the resources for creating and powering the growth accelerators (which aren't even expensive themselves) you probably aren't ready to start with the mod.
This is the point people are missing completely.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
In the world I did this in, I'm running off of 4 Golden Chests. I'm in no huge hurry to get more storage because my chests are only half full and can be upgraded.

It isn't the resources so much as the steady power supply feeding the four growth accelerators that is the bigger problem. Those things are energy hogs. You're going to need at least one or two dedicated dynamos just for the growth accelerators themselves.

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
It isn't the resources so much as the steady power supply feeding the four growth accelerators that is the bigger problem. Those things are energy hogs. You're going to need at least one or two dedicated dynamos just for the growth accelerators themselves.
If you leave them on all the time, yes. You can turn them off when you're not using them using the equally cheap cable add-on that acts like the old dark cable.

Reactions: RenzosNips

Ommina

Aug 14, 2014
For those that like the numbers, I measured 16 rf/t per crystal growth thingie. Which, to me anyway, doesn't seem like much at all. Certainly not prohibitively pricy in energy costs.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
Well, progression dictates that you would only start with one accelerator.

You need power to run your AE system anyway, so this kind of nudges you along in the right direction.

Bellaabzug21

Jul 29, 2019
I think some folks are missing what I believe to be the heart of Scubbism's post. That being that she doesn't have the time to dedicate to the game altogether to wait on a something that takes hours to finish crafting, even if she does other things in the meantime. In SMP, this might not be a problem, with chunk loaders, but that doesn't negate the simple fact of the matter: the damned things take forever to grow without acceleration. That's...that's not even GregTech level tedious, that's something so unfathomably beyond it that its difficult to fully comprehend. If memory serves, you need those pure crystals for certain important things to get the mod working early on; don't ask what they are, I don't remember. However, the current growth mechanic is just plain unbelievable. Its like something out of a gaming myth, its like effing Herobrine. Now, if the amount of time it takes is configurable, I'll recant most of this with the addition that the default needs to be a hell of a lot lower. Remember, children, defaults matter.

Well actually in SMP it's more of a problem because most servers have an unhealthy habbit of banning all chunkloaders and adding an AFK limiter to themselves. Why? I honestly have no idea whatsoever. Minor TPS increases maybe? Anyways, if you want to get the crystals on a server you're going to have to wait for it yourself or set a timer reminding you to come back and move your player ever so slightly to the left every ten minutes.

Tylor

Nov 24, 2012
Crystal growing is one of the least concerns with AE2. I never even tried to grow them without three or four accelerators, and with them it takes just10 or so minutes, that you can spend doing something useful on your base.