How do you feel about AE2?

RJS

Jul 29, 2019
but you can put all your storage on a subnet for one channel (storage bus on an interface of the subnet)
Does that work? I thought the storage bus only saw what the interface was configured to export. If that's true then that's awesome :D

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
Does that work? I thought the storage bus only saw what the interface was configured to export. If that's true then that's awesome :D
if the interface is unconfigured then the bus sees everything in the network,

but I don't think you can use the crafting facilities of a subnet

RJS

Jul 29, 2019
if the interface is unconfigured then the bus sees everything in the network,

but I don't think you can use the crafting facilities of a subnet
But you can pull items out of the subnetwork to use to craft in the main network though right?

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
But you can pull items out of the subnetwork to use to craft in the main network though right?
yeah it only means that unless you auto stock with an auto-crafting export bus and level emitter in a subnet you are limited in the pure amount of recipes you can have

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
yeah it only means that unless you auto stock with an auto-crafting export bus and level emitter in a subnet you are limited in the pure amount of recipes you can have
do you have a screenshot of this set up and working? my attempts at testing this have been crashing me.

Deftscythe

Jul 29, 2019
A lot of the changes are good. Facades, turning all the buses and terminals into multiparts, all the little things are good. The big stuff however is a bit of a mixed bag.

Channels - Good. Gives the player a challenge and the means to solve it in interesting ways. Ways get more interesting in modpacks.

Meteors - Bad. Gating stuff behind RNG is ALWAYS bad. I only play on small servers with my friends, but I can't imagine how you would even get presses on big public servers.

In-World Crafting - Bad. Gives the player a challenge(automating the seeds) and no means to solve it. I know there are a few ways but none of them are native to AE, so if you happen to be playing a pack that doesn't include the (2-3) mods that can solve this problem, you are shit out of luck. In 1.6.4, AE was THE automation mod; it makes no sense to add something that is not able to be automated natively.

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
In-World Crafting - Bad. Gives the player a challenge(automating the seeds) and no means to solve it. I know there are a few ways but none of them are native to AE, so if you happen to be playing a pack that doesn't include the (2-3) mods that can solve this problem, you are shit out of luck. In 1.6.4, AE was THE automation mod; it makes no sense to add something that is not able to be automated natively.
Actually, there is supposedly a way in AE2 to do this: Annihilation Planes combined with subnetworks. The problem? Annihilation Planes are bugged(?) so that they'll eat up anything regardless of whether the network can store it or not, clogging up the Plane (which has a 1-block inventory, surprisingly).

Deftscythe

Jul 29, 2019
So, annihilation plane under the water block connected to some kind of storage that won't accept seeds?

Tylor

Nov 24, 2012
Dunno if seed recharging works in flowing water too. In that case, there are ways.

unknown zombie

Jan 31, 2013
Florida
I stand by what I said earlier about Meteors being ugly and ruining biomes, but I do have to give the guy props about the spawning algorithm. I do appreciate the way it looks like they came in from an angle, shearing off trees and rock faces.

Screenshot - 08312014 - 05:24:15 PM.png

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Too many new rewrites or major changes are making things convoluted and unnecessary.
Say what you will, AE2 is a perfect example of this.
This is pretty much my take on it. I get not wanting AE to be the end-all, be-all of inventory management and automation, but...actually, no, I don't understand that. That is exactly what the mod is about: inventory management and automation. Moving it to later in the game is okay, but the way in which it was done is somewhat painful and convoluted, doubly so if you happen to have bad luck. In-world crafting is, to me, nothing more than an annoying gimmick, but it can be an acceptably annoying gimmick if core content isn't locked behind it. That, I believe is the biggest problem people have with AE2. All of this: the meteors, the plates, the annoying in-world crafting, would be ten times more bearable if it weren't the only way to get into the mod. Maybe make it the most efficient way to get into it, but not the only way. Hiding content behind gimmicks is the biggest reason I never get into Thaumcraft. No insult meant to Azanor, he's a very talented developer and his mod has great potential power, but the research mechanic is just another annoying gimmick, to me.

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
I don't like the inscriber either if I'm honest

Sent from my angry toaster to distract him from destroying the planet. Some appliances just want to watch the world burn.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I don't see the crystal seed mechanic as particularly 'gimicky'. It doesn't take very long, in fact. The only time it is really a problem is when you try to make pure crystals, which aren't strictly necessary (well, the pure certus is for calculation proc, but you don't need those to get started). By the time you want those, you're going to have the supplies to get the stuff to speed it up with.

The presses... yea, not a fan of that one. And Skystone basically replaces resources, which is kind of a jerk-move. But I happen to like the changes overall.

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
I don't see the crystal seed mechanic as particularly 'gimicky'. It doesn't take very long, in fact. The only time it is really a problem is when you try to make pure crystals, which aren't strictly necessary (well, the pure certus is for calculation proc, but you don't need those to get started). By the time you want those, you're going to have the supplies to get the stuff to speed it up with.

The presses... yea, not a fan of that one. And Skystone basically replaces resources, which is kind of a jerk-move. But I happen to like the changes overall.
AE is built around automation and inventory management. Seeds don't have a very easy means if automation if at all and AE2 certainly doesn't provide as someone here pointed out.

If AlgX wanted in world crafting without automation in his mod, he chose the wrong mod to implement it in.

Sent from my angry toaster to distract him from destroying the planet. Some appliances just want to watch the world burn.

MrKunji

Jul 29, 2019
I liked some of the new AE2 gadgets, it's good to mess around with the Color Applicator and the new Molecular Assembler. But having to find Charged Certus to start the basic stuff made me erase three worlds (reason: frustration).

Reactions: Succubism

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
By the way, a gimmick is a feature or mechanic added for the purpose of appealing or pandering to a target without necessarily taking structural balance, whether it fits with the rest of the product or end-user feedback or opinion into consideration into consideration,

All things considered, this is by every definition, the right word to use