gregtech block breaker nerf

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

MFINN23

Jul 29, 2019
If you mean they're not giving instant reward for no effort and thus benefiting from the base human psyche that finds more enjoyment in delayed reaction than instant, than I think you're using the wrong words.

If you don't mean that, then you're just wrong.
No. Like I said it's gotten to ridiculous levels. And the fact that any criticism of it gets this response is a testament to how ridiculous it's gotten. Everything gets tweaked a million times now a days until everything is boring and playing a video game is like having a second job. I think the mod creators had an idea of what would work when they created their mod. To then tweak and change it based on every crackpot idea of balance is over the top.

Reactions: Dravarden

noskk

Jul 29, 2019
Gregtech, able to join mods together? Please! It only uses the rolling machine and that's it!

I can't do it because every update it gets reverted, and I don't understand gregs crappy configs that don't explain nothing.

And whoever is in charge of FTB should do it, because this gregtech crap is getting on everybody's nerves, weekly anti gregtech topic ftw!

I was not referring to you, it's FTB decision to change the default difficulty.

Reactions: YX33A

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
But in this thread, there's an argument; both sides are represented. So there are people on both sides of the field, and that was the main point of Direwolf VS Mindcrack. There's also the often brought up point of all the bumps he did to a lot of things, like lava power, nuclear power, and even some recipes have been made easier.[DOUBLEPOST=1364065693][/DOUBLEPOST]
No. Like I said it's gotten to ridiculous levels. And the fact that any criticism of it gets this response is a testament to how ridiculous it's gotten. Everything gets tweaked a million times now a days until everything is boring and playing a video game is like having a second job. I think the mod creators had an idea of what would work when they created their mod. To then tweak and change it based on every crackpot idea of balance is over the top.
But your idea of balance is no gregtech, am I right? And to "tweak and change it based on every crackpot idea of balance is over the top", like you said, wouldn't that mean that changing it to your preferences is over the top?

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
-OMG! Gregtech nerfs everything! Is crap!
+Dude, calm down, gregtech makes the energy crystal use rubies!
-Oh, for real? ZOMG greg my new God!

I really like how everybody in FTB team seems to like greg and his nerfs.... Meanwhile he and his mod is nowhere to be seen in the forgecraft server.

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
Wow seriously. Greg used a unqiue way to make sure an iron pickaxe in a block doesn't break something that requires a diamond axe. I say that the reflection thing is pretty spiffy as well as resourceful. There is a lot of anger here for really no reason. Seems like Drav and MFINN want an easier game where getting more resources for machines is looked down on. In reality some people, like Greg, wanted it to be a bit more rewarding to have to get more stuff to get more power. Personally I think it is a fine idea and if I don't want to use it I won't but it is there. Really no need to hate on a mod or the author if it is easy to turn off. Heck even Drav has in his sig that he has Gregtech turned off in Ultimate. Kudos to him for doing so but if someone else has it installed then super to them too.

I do wonder how much drama would be caused by a mod that the moment you opened the inventory screen clicking on the empty space in the 2x2 crafting grid gave the player full enchanted diamond armor and tools and a bow. Nothing else just the best enchants. Clicking on it again gives 64 stacks of diamond blocks, the dragon egg, a stack of nether stars, and total immunity to damage. *shurg*

Reactions: Vixation

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
Well, Direwolf seems the wisest person here, using diamonds for the turtles instead of redpower's gems added by misc peripherals.

And gregtech just makes stuff hard for the sake of it. Want aluminium for a simple watermill that doesn't generate nothing of power? First get an industrial blast furnace (which is supposed to be end-game) and then you will be able to generate 1 eu/t!

MFINN23

Jul 29, 2019
But in this thread, there's an argument; both sides are represented. So there are people on both sides of the field, and that was the main point of Direwolf VS Mindcrack. There's also the often brought up point of all the bumps he did to a lot of things, like lava power, nuclear power, and even some recipes have been made easier.[DOUBLEPOST=1364065693][/DOUBLEPOST]
But your idea of balance is no gregtech, am I right? And to "tweak and change it based on every crackpot idea of balance is over the top", like you said, wouldn't that mean that changing it to your preferences is over the top?
This is a weak way to argue a point. You're basically playing word games with me. I don't see how not changing other people's mod is somehow "changing it to my preferences".[DOUBLEPOST=1364066037][/DOUBLEPOST]In fact I hate to use such a cliche, but this really reeks of "whiteknighting".

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
And that's his choice, like the choice for you not to have Gregtech in your Ultimate pack?

And it gets enabled every time I update instead of staying away from my pack! That stupid mod and its bauxite already corrupted my world once.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
This is a weak way to argue a point. You're basically playing word games with me. I don't see how not changing other people's mod is somehow "changing it to my preferences".
It is your preferences though. You may prefer to have a quarry earlier than later in the game. You may prefer to have double bronze as compared to half. You may prefer to use diamonds for Energy Crystals as compared to rubies. It's all your preferences, whether it be you liking * preferring* how it is, or *preferring* something else.

And sometimes I like to make points using direct quotes from other peoples words. Makes me think: "How is this person hurting their own argument, and how can I show them?" :p[DOUBLEPOST=1364066328][/DOUBLEPOST]
And it gets enabled every time I update instead of staying away from my pack! That stupid mod and its bauxite already corrupted my world once.
Every time you update, you'll have to fix Flatbedrock too. Voxel and advanced solars in addition.
But don't worry, updates are gonna be less frequent for a while, as modders are working on 1.5.1 :)

Skirty_007

Jul 29, 2019
And gregtech just makes stuff hard for the sake of it. Want aluminium for a simple watermill that doesn't generate nothing of power? First get an industrial blast furnace (which is supposed to be end-game) and then you will be able to generate 1 eu/t!

You can actually smelt aluminium in a railcraft blast furnace. It's slow as heck and uses loads of fuel, but it works. (Disclaimer: I'm not a fan of Greg's, I do think he adds some cool stuff to the game, but as we're playing on default hard mode to try it out I spent so much time and effort, not to mention resources getting my processing machines built (and powered) that I still haven't really built my above ground portion of my base yet)

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
Gregtech is an ic2 addon, if I only have those 2 what?

It is your preferences though. You may prefer to have a quarry earlier than later in the game. You may prefer to have double bronze as compared to half. You may prefer to use diamonds for Energy Crystals as compared to rubies. It's all your preferences, whether it be you liking * preferring* how it is, or *preferring* something else.

And sometimes I like to make points using direct quotes from other peoples words. Makes me think: "How is this person hurting their own argument, and how can I show them?" :p[DOUBLEPOST=1364066328][/DOUBLEPOST]
Every time you update, you'll have to fix Flatbedrock too. Voxel and advanced solars in addition.
But don't worry, updates are gonna be less frequent for a while, as modders are working on 1.5.1 :)

Well, flatbedrock won't corrupt my world (once I used it in vanilla, in like 1.8) and the other 2 dont add worldgen.

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
I forgot about the planks but I am thinking the mod is stand alone. In it you can drop from max height to bedrock and take no damage thanks to uber armor. Go to the nether and everything is cleared out with a small room of chests fill with stacks of magma cream, blaze rods, and wither skelly skulls. The End is empty as the egg is already yours but there is a room of chests filled with ender pearls. Jump through the portal and the end game messages says:
"You Won! You Beat a Sandbox Game by Clicking in am empty slot to get everything with no effort. Now enjoy the world as all mobs are despawned and it is eternal day. " You go back to the overworld and you do what?

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
You're right there, there should be a way not to re-default everything every update. Even if it's clicking "Disable", mods that get updated that are disabled should stay that way. Keeping the configs? That may be harder.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
This is a weak way to argue a point. You're basically playing word games with me. I don't see how not changing other people's mod is somehow "changing it to my preferences".

Well maybe if you created mods as opposed to just consuming them you'd have a slighty different opinion. What I think is interesting is your implicit assumption that the recipe database for Minecraft is somehow read-only and once someone puts it there, it's essential that remain untouched. Why is that? It's a shared resource for all mods, isn't it? But let's go further: this is helping.

A modmaker now has a brutal task in game balancing: considering lots of other modpacks. Plus+, Big Dig, FTB, Technic, all these folks include a variety of modpacks and even with the best of intentions balance breaks occur. For example, FTB's modpacks have a few. A simple example in the DW20 modpack: with any ore doubler machine and a Minium stone, you can have infinite blaze rods. Once you have one, you can infinitely clone them limited only by power and minium shard availability. So if someone adding an ore doubler notices this and says, "Hey, EE. I'm here, so ima gonna fix that for you," that is a service to the user and quite frankly to Pahimar, who has enough on his plate dealing with making an exciting and well written mod.

A great example of this is a discussion I just had with MachineMuse about the expense of her gregtech recipies. Among other things (i.e., misconfigurations in the mod that were propagated by the FTB launcher and bad habits of server maintainers such as myself), Gravisuite introduced a new item that basically blew open the design space for mid-tier flight and crazily enough, everyone seems to agree the result is good and not unbalancing. But now MPS flight looks so expensive that it's not worth the comparative cost since you can keep all the MPS speed by never, ever using the MPS chest, and basically lose nothing. MPS probably needs to compensate for this, but MachineMuses had no way to anticipate this.

In another universe where MPS is much more popular and established, Gravisuite might have offered a config option to turn the cost of the recipes down for MachineMuses. She might have been a bit confused then said, "Oh, I see. Interesting." Maybe she'd be mad, maybe not. Hypotheticals in other people's head are not my forté, I leave that to the mediums. In any case, the user experience would be a lot better and there's a lot to be said for that.

Greg, like or hate him, completely changes the game. He adds a very different pacing and progression to Minecraft and he tries to listen to his users and have his mod adapt to what they're saying. So if lots of people play Mindcrack his mod starts to grow into Mindcrack's headspace and tweak things to preserve the experience he wants. This is a pretty bold plan, when you think about it. But it's also not really KingLemming or CovertJaguar or SirSengir's job to anticipate greg in their mod design, but Greg can react to his users. That is what his mod does.

If you don't like that mod, you can pull it. Everything goes back to normal. No one's IP has been stolen, no one's code has been hacked, no one's feelings should be hurt. Forge deliberately makes this possible because mod interaction is what has to happen these days to make a coherent experience. This is exactly the same stuff that's at play with Forestry and Buildcraft. And Liquid Metals and Universal Electricity. And MineFactory Reloaded and PowerConverters. These things are here because people want them, Forge purposefully enables them, and they are popular and used.

[DOUBLEPOST=1364066037][/DOUBLEPOST]
In fact I hate to use such a cliche, but this really reeks of "whiteknighting".

I feel pretty awesome about starting this meme here since I did a forum search and turned up empty. But protip: the proper formulation is to call them Galahad at the end. Like, "I hate to use the cliché; but slow your roll, Galahad."

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
I forgot about the planks but I am thinking the mod is stand alone. In it you can drop from max height to bedrock and take no damage thanks to uber armor. Go to the nether and everything is cleared out with a small room of chests fill with stacks of magma cream, blaze rods, and wither skelly skulls. The End is empty as the egg is already yours but there is a room of chests filled with ender pearls. Jump through the portal and the end game messages says:
"You Won! You Beat a Sandbox Game by Clicking in am empty slot to get everything with no effort. Now enjoy the world as all mobs are despawned and it is eternal day. " You go back to the overworld and you do what?
You...
Explore the Nether!
Go mining!
Defeat the Ender Dragon!

Battle mobs!
Make a Beacon!
You could add creative mode...I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.