gregtech block breaker nerf

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
I always find it fun to see how much hate a mod can cause.

I personally found that block breakers able to collect obsidian, even when they only took iron, was somewhat strange.
When you see that turtles that use RP gem picks can destroy obsidian, but not collect the block, it sounds like a better approach to me.

Anyway, hating a mod for changing things around is really strange to me, because it actually brings changes, for all those of us that played with these mods for a long time, and were starting to get bored of the whole "Mine a little, get IC2 machines, get Solar power, get endgame items" route.
Why is it that you all see change in such a bad eye?

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
For the simple reason that people hate what they don't or refuse to understand.

Let's get real for a second. Human civilization is essentially a game we all play to grant an illusion of control. In reality, the control we can exhibit on our surroundings and our future is quite minimal in a realistic scale. However, by reducing the change we see locally we can use our mind's tendency to engage in the Fallacy of Agency (a.k.a., complex cause fallacy) and the our tendency to reason via selection bias to create the illusion of a static, tamed universe.

Humanity has accomplished quite a bit even with these self-imposed blinders, so we're all probably due for a pound of forgiveness. But it is frustrating when people more comfortable with change meet up with people less comfortable with change. Friction is inevitable.

Reactions: Flipz

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
Let's get real for a second. Human civilization is essentially a game we all play to grant an illusion of control. In reality, the control we can exhibit on our surroundings and our future is quite minimal in a realistic scale. However, by reducing the change we see locally we can use our mind's tendency to engage in the Fallacy of Agency (a.k.a., complex cause fallacy) and the our tendency to reason via selection bias to create the illusion of a static, tamed universe.

Humanity has accomplished quite a bit even with these self-imposed blinders, so we're all probably due for a pound of forgiveness. But it is frustrating when people more comfortable with change meet up with people less comfortable with change. Friction is inevitable.
Do you mind translating to noob for me?

Another retarded nerf.

Thanks greg and your tech!

...but it's turned off by default, even in hard mode.

Reactions: Vixation

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
Do you mind translating to noob for me?

...but it's turned off by default, even in hard mode.
Basically, he is saying that it is human nature to fear change.
Strange, when you think about the human race being one of the only one that evolves and adapts, and our science making changes to our life and to the world we live in, faster and faster as generations goes by.

bwillb

Jul 29, 2019
That reflection is /needed/ says less about Greg and more about how toxic some of the mod authors and the community as a whole has gotten.

You can't have a world in which it is OK for RP to use such terms and it it not OK for greg to use reflection in his /own mod/. They're either both being 'dicks' or both well within their rights and doing nothing at all wrong. The argument for one defense immediately invalidates the other.

The amount of white knighting based on absolutely nothing that goes on in the MC community as a whole gives me a headache. It's clear most of people here complaining about it don't even understand what reflection is! It's jump on the bandwagon mentality like that that cause caused 90% of the problems that exist.

We'd probably have an equivalent to the /Nexus/ by now if people stopped defending against whats well within peoples rights, isn't disrespectful or in the worst cases defending things that are /harmful/ just because white knighting is the thing to do.
I don't have a lot of love for GregTech, but I do think this whole "OMG don't mod closed source mods!" is absolutely ridiculous. Newsflash, guys. Minecraft is closed source. Pretty much every mod you use is dependent upon someone forcing their way through Mojang's protections. Yes, even redpower. In fact, I'm pretty sure Eloraam has had a large part in making that happen. Hell, Eloraam is even taking what she's learned from viewing Minecraft's protected source code to make her own Minecraft clone game. And of course then there's the whole FlowerChild fiasco...

MFINN23

Jul 29, 2019
If greg wants blockbreakers that don't mine obsidian then he should make some and put a big G on it. Constantly fucking with other's mods is ridiculous. It turns everything into the greg show and kind of ruins the spirit of a modpack. It should be called feed the greg at this point.

noskk

Jul 29, 2019
Do you have GregTech installed? the thing about GregTech modified RP2 block breaker was a false accusation, I had it in GT recipe mode since last year, but no one really post anything about it in the forum since it's optional and off per default.

bwillb

Jul 29, 2019
If greg wants blockbreakers that don't mine obsidian then he should make some and put a big G on it. Constantly fucking with other's mods is ridiculous. It turns everything into the greg show and kind of ruins the spirit of a modpack. It should be called feed the greg at this point.
I'm curious, would you be more okay with it if Greg was officially made a member of the FTB team in charge of balance? And "gregtech" was instead called "ftb glue" or something like that?

MFINN23

Jul 29, 2019
I'm curious, would you be more okay with it if Greg was officially made a member of the FTB team in charge of balance? And "gregtech" was instead called "ftb glue" or something like that?
I would definitely be less ok with that and would immediately drop the pack. Greg's idea of "balance" is retarded, in fact the whole culture of "balance" in video games is retarded. It's gotten to a ridiculous level and games are suffering for it.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
in fact the whole culture of "balance" in video games is retarded. It's gotten to a ridiculous level and games are suffering for it.

If you mean they're not giving instant reward for no effort and thus benefiting from the base human psyche that finds more enjoyment in delayed reaction than instant, than I think you're using the wrong words.

If you don't mean that, then you're just wrong.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
This is a modpack, to make mods work together, and somebody with high egos balances the pack however he wants...

Feed the greg!

MFINN is totally right, why the hell has greg the rights to change the modpack however he wants? Is an IC2 plugin, change whatever you want in IC2, but not in the rest of the pack! You ain't no slowpoke.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
During conversations like this, I get an overwhelming desire to make a mod that makes really significant in-game redpower changes, as a sort of "Bring it On" moment.

Oh look, somebody already did! https://github.com/OvertJaguar/PowerConverters-RPModule
Okay how do I download this and add it into my pack. This is awesome (and quite necessary, due to the lack of things to use Bluletricity for).

But seriously, I have no idea what's going on, which one do I download and where does it go.

noskk

Jul 29, 2019
This is a modpack, to make mods work together, and somebody with high egos balances the pack however he wants...

Feed the greg!

This is a modpack, thus the modpack owner/creator can always tone down the difficulty.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019

Feed the greg!
If you come up with a mod that's this good, gets updated this quickly and consistently, and is able to mix mods together and promote the use of other mods, as well as having highly configurable configs, I'd be perfectly fine if you balanced this however you wanted to.

Reactions: Vixation

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
Gregtech, able to join mods together? Please! It only uses the rolling machine and that's it!

This is a modpack, thus the modpack owner/creator can always tone down the difficulty.

I can't do it because every update it gets reverted, and I don't understand gregs crappy configs that don't explain nothing.

And whoever is in charge of FTB should do it, because this gregtech crap is getting on everybody's nerves, weekly anti gregtech topic ftw!

Status
Not open for further replies.