gregtech block breaker nerf

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
I believe word lawyering would get into is reflecting against the law. I am not going to argue this one way or another just stating that would be the basis for bringing up any kind of legal hoopla.

"I did not have relations with that woman."
"Define the word "Is'"
The second statement is what I mean by word lawyering even if I just made up the term.

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
Most of those I've seen use the revenue used by the defendant as the example of damages, though, right? When I went through Microsoft copyright bootcamp this was like premise one. So folks like Technic and FTB who may collect money directly for their work (e.g., offsetting hosting costs and promotion is something I know both have asked for) are probably more subject to this.
The Plus+ page said that the modder had to get revenue from their mod to have a valid case - not the modpack.
If they were right, then you could get away with putting free mods into any modpack you want, even if the modpack makes money.
Can you sue someone for compensation for emotional damage? Some modders do care that much about their mods.

You don't need to do anything special to have copyright of your code. I think Plus+'s point is that civil suits are non-starters without damages which sort of end-runs around it? Their idea that mods are purely derivative work is something that absolutely should be declared by Mojang though, because only a court case could draw that line definitively in absence of licensing.
That was their first point. Their second point was that mods don't have copyright, which is wrong.

The other problem you've got is that it's both a pro and con to get included in a modpack. If that modpack blows up the way–say, Big Dig has? Well then that's great publicity for you and it's likely you can use secondary channels to get more revenue from your work. On the other hand, there is always the chance that that people will improperly claim your work or poorly handle the situation. I don't envy you in that dilemma.
Me personally? All my mods are MIT licensed, except for Advanced Repulsion Systems which is LGPL because that was Thunderdark's choice.

But let me make it clear: you are definitely on the list of people that I would donate to if given the opportunity. I just suspect that's complicated without raising Mojang's somewhat justifiable ire. I wish TechnicLauncher had a button and a way for you to say, "I'll accept donations to the cause of my awesomeness" or "I'll accept donations to the following charity" and then we could probably offset some of your/other modmaker's adf.ly revenue, which I cannot imagine is very big.
Technic has donation links here. I'm not there because I'm not accepting donations, which is my choice not Mojang's. I don't use adf.ly either.

Is this thread even about GregTech any more? Lol...

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
Yes and no. The fact that the topic can stray back to GT happens quickly enough. Besides seeing a good talk that is rational as well as civil is nice.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Greg has not modified any mods besides GregTech.

100% ture.

But I belive people do not understand how layering mods effect each other. They only see that GT installed makes Mod X Y and Z have diffrent things. And wrongfully assume GT is altering the other mod directly.

But this can be said about perty much every mod that changes things. Even something like Ore Dictionary it is not directly changing anyones mod code but it does effect how the game sees and handles items within itself.

Sadly it is really hard to explain how coding and programing works to people that do not have the mind set for coding in the frist place.

Kind of like how everyone can be an internet lawyer but few actuly understand how the laws they are quoting work. Or how everyone can be an internet doctor but webMD is not the same as going to med school.

Reactions: CrafterOfMines57

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
But but but Web MD said this growth I am experiencing every morning is a sure sign I have rabies! Help me Dr. Saice!!!!

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
The Plus+ page said that the modder had to get revenue from their mod to have a valid case - not the modpack.

Obviously we both disagree with parts of what they said. :)

Can you sue someone for compensation for emotional damage? Some modders do care that much about their mods.

I'd laugh if that worked. My hobby is laughing at the dystopian future we live in.

That was their first point. Their second point was that mods don't have copyright, which is wrong.

I agree.

Me personally? All my mods are MIT licensed, except for Advanced Repulsion Systems which is LGPL because that was Thunderdark's choice.

I'm surprised you don't use BSD for the name protection. I've been forced to because people started falsely claiming my name as someone under their employ.

Is this thread even about GregTech any more? Lol...

Welcome to the FTB forums, immibis!

Reactions: RetroGamer1224

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
But but but Web MD said this growth I am experiencing every morning is a sure sign I have rabies! Help me Dr. Saice!!!!
It's true!!! Stay back! :eek:
kSDElQh.png

Signed:
jumpfight5​
Web M.D.​

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Most of those I've seen use the revenue used by the defendant as the example of damages, though, right? When I went through Microsoft copyright bootcamp this was like premise one.

In the US, damages are a a range with a $200 minimum penalty per violation. Even when there were no financial damages that $200 may apply. Furthermore, every single download would be counted separately.

This is how the media companies can say grandma cost millions. And win.

Lawbroken

Jul 29, 2019
Well done people can't stay on topic without trolling, flame bating or insulting each other another GT thread locked.
Please don't start another it will end up like this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.