gregtech block breaker nerf

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter_Gunnn

Jul 29, 2019
I believe Magic World and Ampz are two that GT doesn't have a config file in. Adn I am willing to say a good portion of vanilla players use just one mod. You are using a gross exaggeration.

you're talking about packs, not individual mods, right?

and that's not a gross exaggeration - i said that was my guess. from what i've seen and what more experienced players have told me, the number of single mod players is dwarfed by vanilla and ftb.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
how many modded minecraft players choose vanilla + 1 mod? my guess for that is "almost zero" when compared to vanilla and ftb.

I'd say that OptiFine, which surely has to be the most downloaded mod in MineCraft's history (well past the Forge API, as well as Mod Loader and the like) almost surely has more users who use only it versus the amount of people that play FTB. Compared to vanilla, though, it's likely a drop in the bucket as vanilla is the standard version of MineCraft which a lot of people end up not deviated from before they become bored and forget about MineCraft forever.

Reactions: RetroGamer1224

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
What Plus+ is doing should be the last word in copyright "protection." Have a look-see: http://wiki.pluspluspack.com/index.php?title=Copyright
There have been lawsuits for GPL violations, so it seems their first point is wrong.

Their second point is that mods do not have copyright protection - there is consensus in the modding community that they do, but it has not been legally tested.

Their fair use defense would apply to Minecraft itself, not to mods - Mojang cannot dictate how Minecraft is enjoyed by people who legally own a copy of Minecraft. Modders cannot dictate how their mods are enjoyed by people who legally downloaded them. Mojang cannot prevent people using a modpack with Minecraft, if that argument is correct. It doesn't say anything about acquiring mods.

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
We're discussing an optional recipe which increases the value of a block that breaks other blocks, clearly.
Clearly.

IMHO I don't really care about that setting since frame quarries are far beyond my skill, and there's plenty of other methods to get obsidian without mining it. The Igneous extruder, for instance. (*cough*miniumstone*cough*)

Peter_Gunnn

Jul 29, 2019
I'd say that OptiFine, which surely has to be the most downloaded mod in MineCraft's history (well past the Forge API, as well as Mod Loader and the like) almost surely has more users who use only it versus the amount of people that play FTB. Compared to vanilla, though, it's likely a drop in the bucket as vanilla is the standard version of MineCraft which a lot of people end up not deviated from before they become bored and forget about MineCraft forever.

ok, outside the context of what i was thinking, but yeah. how about ic servers and such?

Peter_Gunnn

Jul 29, 2019
Someone that has pretty much admited he is a troll is trolling while people take the bait and feed him.

All in all it makes for some amusing reads between calls at work.

i'm pretty sure that person was called a troll and caved in to the pressure. i blame helsinki syndrome[DOUBLEPOST=1364249525][/DOUBLEPOST]
If you distill the selection of data enough, you'll surely find something that will support your point.

oh, ok. you're simply contrarian instead of offering either opinion or facts to discuss. gotcha.

ask not for whom the bell trolls, it trolls for thee.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
oh, ok. you're simply contrarian instead of offering either opinion or facts to discuss. gotcha.

ask not for whom the bell trolls, it trolls for thee.

I provided you data (no opinion, though, as there is only enough room for so much subjective silliness in this topic), and you decided you wanted to move the goal posts of your argument. And, of course, some wonderful ad hominem, which always goes over well on the internet.

If you don't want to be taken for a "troll", you should stop acting like one, eh?

Peter_Gunnn

Jul 29, 2019
I provided you data (no opinion, though, as there is only enough room for so much subjective silliness in this topic), and you decided you wanted to move the goal posts of your argument. And, of course, some wonderful ad hominem, which always goes over well on the internet.

If you don't want to be taken for a "troll", you should stop acting like one, eh?

i'm not moving goalposts. my mistake was not clearly defining the context of the question. i believe you're right in saying optifine is the most popular single mod, so 1 internet point to you.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
There have been lawsuits for GPL violations, so it seems their first point is wrong.

Most of those I've seen use the revenue used by the defendant as the example of damages, though, right? When I went through Microsoft copyright bootcamp this was like premise one. So folks like Technic and FTB who may collect money directly for their work (e.g., offsetting hosting costs and promotion is something I know both have asked for) are probably more subject to this.

Their second point is that mods do not have copyright protection - there is consensus in the modding community that they do, but it has not been legally tested.

You don't need to do anything special to have copyright of your code. I think Plus+'s point is that civil suits are non-starters without damages which sort of end-runs around it? Their idea that mods are purely derivative work is something that absolutely should be declared by Mojang though, because only a court case could draw that line definitively in absence of licensing.

Because they're actually slightly wrong about you not holding copyright on derivative work. As the music industry can attest to: the situation is more complicated than that.

Their fair use defense would apply to Minecraft itself, not to mods - Mojang cannot dictate how Minecraft is enjoyed by people who legally own a copy of Minecraft. Modders cannot dictate how their mods are enjoyed by people who legally downloaded them. Mojang cannot prevent people using a modpack with Minecraft, if that argument is correct. It doesn't say anything about acquiring mods.

It's tricky because you're right; redistribution is clearly in the auspices of copyright law. But Mojang's license explicitly forbids you from making a profit off the mod directly. So you're in this grey place where in order to claim damages you'd have to admit you were breaking Mojang's terms and making money off the mod. I do not have the legal chops to know for sure how that shakes out.

The other problem you've got is that it's both a pro and con to get included in a modpack. If that modpack blows up the way–say, Big Dig has? Well then that's great publicity for you and it's likely you can use secondary channels to get more revenue from your work. On the other hand, there is always the chance that that people will improperly claim your work or poorly handle the situation. I don't envy you in that dilemma.

But let me make it clear: you are definitely on the list of people that I would donate to if given the opportunity. I just suspect that's complicated without raising Mojang's somewhat justifiable ire. I wish TechnicLauncher had a button and a way for you to say, "I'll accept donations to the cause of my awesomeness" or "I'll accept donations to the following charity" and then we could probably offset some of your/other modmaker's adf.ly revenue, which I cannot imagine is very big.

Status
Not open for further replies.