gregtech block breaker nerf

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Nice, now build and electrolyzer, get some mercurium from your cynabar and use it in the industrial grinder to triple some of your ore inputs.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
But I highly doubt many of them would be ok with using config options in which one mod significantly changing another mod against the wishes of the mod maker.

As Greg is not editing anyone's code, those mod makers have no right to any sort of wishes like that. If any mod maker dislikes what another mod maker does with their own mod, they've greatly overstepped their own boundaries.

Reactions: YX33A

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
In what context though? There is a difference between if he can and if he should. We are players not turtles after all. :)

This discussion is taking place on the FTB forums (incase you were unaware somehow, lol). There are tons and tons of people on these forums (including Slow) who love Gregtech. But I highly doubt many of them would be ok with using config options in which one mod significantly changing another mod against the wishes of the mod maker.

I've had a bad day today dealing with hordes of internet misogynists so I'm trying to hold my temper lest it bleed of into this post inappropriately... But I am really sick of prissy people saying modmakers somehow own the context is which their mod is used within my copy of minecraft. At some point respect for the author tapers off and respect for the user has to be introduced. If the user wants to use (or heck, write) a mod that blends together lots of other mods that is not "disrespectful." That's "modding." That's exactly what the modmakers themselves did at the courtesy of Mojang. Anyone who thinks that courtesy should not be paid forward is not the best of eggs in my book.

The idea that Greg modifying a modified environment is somehow wrong or unfair is so profoundly hypocritical I have difficult getting past the "boggle" phase of hearing it and start forming a cogent response. It is like being told that someone has a say over how I chew the food they cooked. Click through this EULA and agree to keep your mouth open the way the chef intended before opening the can of soup.

It is not about "respect." No one has a monopoly on what goes on inside your instance of minecraft running on your computer.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Mojang is perfectly fine with their game being modified.

Anyone who is given permission by Mojang to mod that work, then gets mad at someone modding them is being hypocritical and ungrateful. Their vexation can be dismissed without remorse.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
meh, you can dismiss their vexation all you like. I however, will stick to the ethos of respecting mod makers wishes when it comes to content that they have created. That doesn't mean I dislike any mod that mods their mod (mod mod mod mod mod... mod) but it does mean that if a mod were to do that against their wishes, I would find that to be a "dick move"
Nice new Sig, Lambert!
cheers, I love it too. My gf made it for me :D

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
IMHO, respect covers not claiming someone else's work as your own, not redistributing their work without permission, and not nagging for updates (and of course common decency and politeness). This applies in the same way to modders as to the creators of 'vanilla' Minecraft. Any techniques that modders use to modify Minecraft's code, they should reasonably expect may be done by other modders to their own mod, right? Because yeah, that's not disrespectful, that's modding.
And reflection is awesome. (Java, OTOH, isn't.)

Reactions: KirinDave

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
IMHO, respect covers not claiming someone else's work as your own, not redistributing their work without permission, and not nagging for updates (and of course common decency and politeness). This applies in the same way to modders as to the creators of 'vanilla' Minecraft. Any techniques that modders use to modify Minecraft's code, they should reasonably expect may be done by other modders to their own mod, right? Because yeah, that's not disrespectful, that's modding.
And reflection is awesome. (Java, OTOH, isn't.)

And also: we would not be having this conversation if it was Sengir who did the modding instead of Greg. At all.

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
I never really got the whole anti-Gregtech thing, though I think that's because I hadn't used a pack with it until this week so I wasn't impacted, and now I'm already familiar with the relevant config options. Plus I haven't really placed much IC since IC1 so I don't really remember what the recipes were anyhow :p

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
meh, you can dismiss their vexation all you like. I however, will stick to the ethos of respecting mod makers wishes when it comes to content that they have created. That doesn't mean I dislike any mod that mods their mod (mod mod mod mod mod... mod) but it does mean that if a mod were to do that against their wishes, I would find that to be a "dick move"

I'm still leaning towards "sounds like a dick to me" teritory. Just because you can work around it, well that don't quite sit right with me, it still feels like less respect then there should be.

Half this thread is saying "reflection" and I'm reading it as "Making FTB culpable in a man in the middle code attack vs the work of another modder."

Reactions: Lambert2191

Dafuq?

Jul 29, 2019
But I am really sick of prissy people saying modmakers somehow own the context is which their mod is used within my copy of minecraft. At some point respect for the author tapers off and respect for the user has to be introduced. If the user wants to use (or heck, write) a mod that blends together lots of other mods that is not "disrespectful." That's "modding." That's exactly what the modmakers themselves did at the courtesy of Mojang. Anyone who thinks that courtesy should not be paid forward is not the best of eggs in my book.

I couldn't agree more. If you really want to play redpower exactly the way Eloraam intended it to be played, go ahead and simply don't use Gregtech. Maybe you should even play it as a standalone mod, if you're really fanatic about it. But telling other people that it is disrespectful to use/write a mod that tries to balance it in the context of modpacks with 100+ mods takes the whole respect thing way to far in my opinion.

OK, so Eloraam doesn't want her code to be modified. In my opinion, that in itself is a questionable attitude for a MODmaker, but let's just say we have to respect that. Well, Greg did respect it, he just found a clever way around it.

There is a difference between respecting someones work and blindly worshiping and following everything he/she does or says. Just because I want to experience a mod in a slightly different way than originally intended, that doesn't mean that I'm being disrespectful to it's author.

Reactions: Vixation

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
I'm still leaning towards "sounds like a dick to me" teritory. Just because you can work around it, well that don't quite sit right with me, it still feels like less respect then there should be.

Half this thread is saying "reflection" and I'm reading it as "Making FTB culpable in a man in the middle code attack vs the work of another modder."

Only if you view all modding as a man in the middle attack. The reality is, since it's the legitimate machine owner choosing to install and run code, what it does is not an attack regardless of what it does. There is no trojan horse. There is no bug-using to get it to run. It's programs you download that do (more or less) exactly as specified. This is not an attack in any legal, ethical, or moral sense.

Since its the legitimate machine owner, this is just a very natural extensions of modding in general. Eloraam can not control and limit my game experience anymore than Mojang can. That experience is under the control of myself, and the server operator I play on.

OmegaJasam

Jul 29, 2019
That reflection is /needed/ says less about Greg and more about how toxic some of the mod authors and the community as a whole has gotten.

You can't have a world in which it is OK for RP to use such terms and it it not OK for greg to use reflection in his /own mod/. They're either both being 'dicks' or both well within their rights and doing nothing at all wrong. The argument for one defense immediately invalidates the other.

The amount of white knighting based on absolutely nothing that goes on in the MC community as a whole gives me a headache. It's clear most of people here complaining about it don't even understand what reflection is! It's jump on the bandwagon mentality like that that cause caused 90% of the problems that exist.

We'd probably have an equivalent to the /Nexus/ by now if people stopped defending against whats well within peoples rights, isn't disrespectful or in the worst cases defending things that are /harmful/ just because white knighting is the thing to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.