Greg's done it again.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
I might not like the direction GT is going.

Yet you play on a server with it enabled. As I do too. Sometimes you have to sacrifice something (like using a mod you don't particularly like) as the benefits (playing with those you do like) outweigh by a large margin.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
I honestly think what Greg needs to do is brake away form his ties to IC2 and just make is whole own self containted mod. The Hightech version of say BTW or TFC there totaly is a user base for this sort of thing. And honestly I think in the long run he would just have a better mod if he just handled the whole thing as his own self contaitned mod.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Oh yes an other Gretech Thread. What is wrong with you? If you don´t like this mod just don´t play it?! If you like some parts of it, go to the config and disable the things you don´t like. If you are to stupid to do that, just don´t play the damn mod!!!

And because there are some of you that are not able to go to the config and disable something and i don´t want you to die foolish, here is the line to disable the new crafting for the iron tools:

.minecraft\config\GregTech\DynamicConfig

platesneededfortoolsmadeof {
B:Iron=false
}

Was that so hard? Hm i guess so, better making a new Gregtech Thread than try to do something on your on.

Oh and it works, i just tested it ;)
As expected, every big GT nerf is followed by a thread about it, and every GT nerf thread has a "use the configs", post.

And you are right, of course.

The problem is that most of the posts here are made by people that actually like GT. I'm on of them. Most of us know of the configs and how to change them. So ask yourself: "Why do all these people post here, despite their ability to reverse the changes?" I'll tell you. Most of the people here can't/don't care to follow up on the feeling of dread with a logical analysis of the why's. But the feeling is there and shared.

I can and will. These changes signify a much deeper problem and a large shift in gregs modding approach, which can only be summed up with "This is going to get so much worse". Greg fell into the rabbit hole and all of the next changes we'll see will be in a similar vein, what's worse, I fully expect him to start making some of these changes unconfigurable. Similar for example to the hardcore modes in better than wolves.

Only time will prove me right, but the commotion is a good indication that many people understand this subconsciously, which in turn indicates that the "hunch" is probably right.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Yet you play on a server with it enabled. As I do too. Sometimes you have to sacrifice something (like using a mod you don't particularly like) as the benefits (playing with those you do like) outweigh by a large margin.

But that is also an option if it bother me so much I would just not play on that server. It really is that simple.

If GT bothers you that much stop using it. Either work around it or remove it.

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
But that is also an option if it bother me so much I would just not play on that server. It really is that simple.

If GT bothers you that much stop using it. Either work around it or remove it.

it doesn't. At least not yet. I'm just happy that it's become so invasive that even people who like GT have become a little wary, if not a complete reversal of opinion.

Labhras

Jul 29, 2019
Works for me, I always have too many logs anyways and considering how many iron tools I actually end up crafting, I'm perfectly fine with the recipe nerf.

Dee_Twenty

Jul 29, 2019
Poppycocks pretty much sums it up, I like using Gregtech, and have dealt with these nerfs this long because I could work around them either through other mods providing similar functionality, such as the quartz grinder from Applied Energistics providing a cheap alternative to the macerator, or simply denerfing them through the config files. But having dealt with many modding communities over the years I've seen many people with Greg's style of modding and temperament, and inevitably it eventually comes down to the point where they not only make things so needlessly complicated to do even the simplest of operations but they take up the banner of "My way or the highway." and make it impossible to use the things that attracted you to their mod in the first place without having to deal with the tedium of spending half an hour trying to create basic vanilla gear.

Reactions: casilleroatr

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Poppycocks pretty much sums it up, I like using Gregtech, and have dealt with these nerfs this long because I could work around them either through other mods providing similar functionality, such as the quartz grinder from Applied Energistics providing a cheap alternative to the macerator, or simply denerfing them through the config files. But having dealt with many modding communities over the years I've seen many people with Greg's style of modding and temperament, and inevitably it eventually comes down to the point where they not only make things so needlessly complicated to do even the simplest of operations but they take up the banner of "My way or the highway." and make it impossible to use the things that attracted you to their mod in the first place without having to deal with the tedium of spending half an hour trying to create basic vanilla gear.
Exactly, the biggest problem here are the sycophants he surrounded himself with.

It's hard to think straight when only yay-sayers have your ear.

It's pretty much the reason why Napoleon lost, for example.

Reactions: Daemonblue

Bellaabzug21

Jul 29, 2019
Exactly, the biggest problem here are the sycophants he surrounded himself with.

It's hard to think straight when only yay-sayers have your ear.

It's pretty much the reason why Napoleon lost for example.

He's quite right. If you go on the IC2 forums there's nothing but praise for him. That's an issue.

allquan

Jul 29, 2019
Most of us know of the configs and how to change them.

I honestly doubt that.

I see your point, but posting a thread to every change of Gregtech and cry about this, when you just use that time to disable the most of the changes, wont´t help anyone. The other possibility is to disable the whole mod. It won´t be the first mod I get rid of because of changes I disliked. So if he will continue adding such changes, he will end up alone playing his mod with the "only yay-sayers" and with them who know how to disable "nerfs".

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
He's quite right. If you go on the IC2 forums there's nothing but praise for him. That's an issue.
Exactly, and the problem with sycophants is that they will snark sarcastically at us calling them that, flat out deny it being the truth, and continue their poisonous whispering.

That's why I think cutting of GT now will save us a lot of grief in the future.

He might come to sense if we do. If everyone does.
I honestly doubt that.

I see your point, but posting a thread to every change of Gregtech and cry about this, when you just use that time to disable the most of the changes, wont´t help anyone. The other possibility is to disable the whole mod. It won´t be the first mod I get rid of because of changes I disliked. So if he will continue adding such changes, he will end up alone playing his mod with the "only yay-sayers" and with them who know how to disable "nerfs".
Why thank you for calling us all idiots.

But yeah, that's how I see it as well.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
The thing is, if you want hardmode without Gregtech, just get rid of thermal expansion and IC2. Seriously. Go build your steam furnace and rock crusher or your Factorization setup and see how easy THAT feels.

GregTech isn't even the hardmode king. Even worse, most of the modern additions to the mod are basically "I copy this other mods idea or move this tool out to a machine." GT hasn't had many novel changes outside of its endgame power system for quite some time now. And many of the things he does add never really get finished. For example, his item automation and Redstone control are atrocious and unfinished and all but useless. But hey, new covers for all!

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
The thing is, if you want hardmode without Gregtech, just get rid of thermal expansion and IC2. Seriously. Go build your steam furnace and rock crusher or your Factorization setup and see how easy THAT feels.

GregTech isn't even the hardmode king. Even worse, most of the modern additions to the mod are basically "I copy this other mods idea or move this tool out to a machine." GT hasn't had many novel changes outside of its endgame power system for quite some time now. And many of the things he does add never really get finished. For example, his item automation and Redstone control are atrocious and unfinished and all but useless. But hey, new covers for all!
I hear ya brother.

Where's the stargates he promised?

If he spent as much time polishing his mod up and finishing things he started, as he spends coming up with arbitrary hoops for us to jump trough, then he'd have one of the best mods out there.

Reactions: casilleroatr

Dee_Twenty

Jul 29, 2019
I honestly doubt that.

That is precisely the reason to voice our opinions about it, one of two things will happen, either Greg will continue down the path of "My way or the highway." or Greg will be reasonable and see that a good number of people are dissatisfied with the current direction and attempt to find a happy medium where it makes it more challenging to get the really cool late game toys but doesn't make it stupidly difficult to get basic iron gear. Either way we said our peace and the ball is in Greg's court.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
plus he was short. I bet Greg is like... 4'2

Napoleon was not actually short that is sort of a myth. He was actually 5'7" which was about avarage at the time. The reason he was seen as short came about part by issue with unit of megure at the time between french and british units and partly becuase well if your going to slader a leader of another country sematics and translation errors are sort of the go to.

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
Napoleon was not actually short that is sort of a myth. He was actually 5'7" which was about avarage at the time. The reason he was seen as short came about part by issue with unit of megure at the time between french and british units and partly becuase well if your going to slader a leader of another country sematics and translation errors are sort of the go to.

yeah I'd heard this. But it's still kinda funny to call him short :p

Dee_Twenty

Jul 29, 2019
Thats because you get banned if you do not agree with greg, hmm does that remind you of any one?

Quite a few people from quite a few places around the net, but I assume you had someone from the Minecraft community specifically in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.