Greg's done it again.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord
Status
Not open for further replies.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
I don't really see why people are making such a big deal out of this nerf. It's no different from anything gregtech has ever done, except now he's moved on from nerfing other people's mods to nerfing vanilla minecraft.
the problem is, if you stop caring about such minor, yet pointless and annoying things, you have a risk of running into situation when whole modpack and vanilla will be like that.

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
But does anyone even use vanilla metal stuff when Tinker's Construct stuff is available and a functional endgame pick is craftable within minutes of starting the game if you happen across a village that has both the tinker house, smeltery and blacksmith?

Dee_Twenty

Jul 29, 2019
I don't really see why people are making such a big deal out of this nerf. It's no different from anything gregtech has ever done, except now he's moved on from nerfing other people's mods to nerfing vanilla minecraft.

Thus the problem, this isn't taking a machine that makes the game easier in some fashion like a quarry or a macerator and making it harder to acquire, it's taking basic, vanilla tools and making them absurdly difficult to craft for absolutely no good reason. Before the changes could be argued to be about making various things more balanced, this is just making things needlessly complicated for the sake of making things needlessly complicated.

But does anyone even use vanilla metal stuff when Tinker's Construct stuff is available and a functional endgame pick is craftable within minutes of starting the game if you happen across a village that has both the tinker house, smeltery and blacksmith?

I prefer to hold off on creating my Tinkers Construct tools until I have access to the alloys I want to make them from, in the mean time I use my traditional sticks, cobble, and ingots.

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
the problem is, if you stop caring about such minor, yet pointless and annoying things, you have a risk of running into situation when whole modpack and vanilla will be like that.

I'd definitely agree that whomever puts together the pack should take a long look at releasing a version with more broadly accessible configs. It is REALLY hard to get the average user to add a mod or adjust their config or download a config pack to match the server. I'd hate to see people missing out on all the fun stuff gregtech offers in its easier configs.[DOUBLEPOST=1373893037][/DOUBLEPOST]
I prefer to hold off on creating my Tinkers Construct tools until I have access to the alloys I want to make them from, in the mean time I use my traditional sticks, cobble, and ingots.

Really? A moss steel pick is pretty invaluable for how easy it is to put together right at the beginning.

Jakeb

Jul 29, 2019
Guys, I get what the problem is :) I was just trying to make a point that gregtech has been moving into this direction for a while.
Some even saw it coming.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
I'd hate to see people missing out on all the fun stuff gregtech offers in its easier configs..

it`s may be fun for you, but it see 0 fun added to stuff that was nerfed by greg, in order for his mod to be competitive with others. greg likes to refer for this as "balancing'.

for the situation at hand TiC isnt a solution but a workaround, like TE for macerator nerf.

Dee_Twenty

Jul 29, 2019
I'd definitely agree that whomever puts together the pack should take a long look at releasing a version with more broadly accessible configs. It is REALLY hard to get the average user to add a mod or adjust their config or download a config pack to match the server. I'd hate to see people missing out on all the fun stuff gregtech offers in its easier configs.[DOUBLEPOST=1373893037][/DOUBLEPOST]

Really? A moss steel pick is pretty invaluable for how easy it is to put together right at the beginning.

Provided you're lucky enough to come across a source of mossy cobblestone early on, my traditional method of carrying a basic crafting table and a stack of sticks into the depths with a wooden pick works perfectly fine, I'll have the cobble and quartz dust needed for a grinder and a furnace in no time, bound to find some coal as well, and it's stupid easy to get enough copper and tin to grind up into bronze tools, by the time I head back to the surface I'll most likely have all I need to get my first TC pick crafted and head to the Nether to get the ores I'll need for my endgame gear.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019

It's amusing that people keep saying this

Ignoring the 2 planks for a log (unless you use a saw)
Ignoring the widespread changes to IC2 recipes all requiring plates. The machine block is a special example of absurdity.

The last has no config option, and supposedly never will.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
It's amusing that people keep saying this

Ignoring the 2 planks for a log (unless you use a saw)
Ignoring the widespread changes to IC2 recipes all requiring plates. The machine block is a special example of absurdity.

The last has no config option, and supposedly never will.
do i really see that you complain about gt?
something is really odd going on...

Peter_Gunnn

Jul 29, 2019
for me, no eloraam + (greg^2) = zero interest in ftb. this has been feed the gregtech since about february, and the landslide has only picked up speed.

before anyone says "you get what you pay for" i would have been happy to pay for ftb, up to the price of minecraft, if it were good. unfortunately, it's borked by gameplay balance, technical issues, neglect, and malice. "you can turn it off / not use it" is hardly a selling point.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
That’s a very specific situation that becomes even more irrelevant in smp. And newer versions of TiC *villages* don't have smelteries anymore, iirc.

Your solution is far from universal.

It's unfortunate that gregtech has completely outpriced his mod's novelty. He has gone the way of Steve's Carts in that the price is simply not worth what the mod provides. His over reaching desire to control the entire game shows that he should seriously be in his own brand of mod pack.

Reactions: Loufmier

flappy

Jul 29, 2019
Do remember, that for example mining wells need iron picks.

lolpierandom

Jul 29, 2019
I guess I can see that. But to be honest by the time your in Tier 2 unless your in a mod pack with no power systems duriblity really does not mater as you can just go paper and use one slot as eletric.

Isn't there the thing that makes you mine faster for every less point of durability you have? It could probably be useful for that.

Not sure if it was changed or anything, haven't really touched 1.5.2 packs.

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
Villages no longer have smelteries in them.
when I said that they had been removed I was told in no uncertain terms I was wrong, but I didnt bother to press the point, some times its better to just say nothing than push a point with some one that will get erm how shall I put this, a tad hot under the collar.

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
Isn't there the thing that makes you mine faster for every less point of durability you have? It could probably be useful for that.

Not sure if it was changed or anything, haven't really touched 1.5.2 packs.
Its called Stonebound, the lower the durability the faster it mines & works well with mossy.

lolpierandom

Jul 29, 2019
Its called Stonebound, the lower the durability the faster it mines & works well with mossy.

Wouldn't it make more sense to wear it down to nearly zero, then slap electric on it and "lock it" to fast speeds, in a sense?

I inevitably make all my tools electric anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.