Greg Tech opinion discussions go here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aeslehc

Jul 29, 2019
However, the more I think of it, I kinda would like to see how the modders on the other side of the table (who don't appreciate Greg's "balance" efforts) would react to the idea of a mod explicitly and only existing to alter the balance of several Forge/FTB-pack mods, and with no other purpose.

I've been waiting for FTB/Technic guys and gals to do exactly this, in the case of a well designed mod pack, it is the mod pack that needs to be balanced not the individual mods, it's the same issue with ore generation, this needs (in a mod pack) to be done at mod pack level (or discretion) not by individual mods.

Velotican

Jul 29, 2019
A ton of people would have a lot of trouble with a militant rebalancing mod. It's something modders generally get touchy about as they then field all the support requests caused by the balance mod's changes. This already happens with GT.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Forget the term "crash", that's a loaded word that's distorting the issue. What Greg did was to make it so that if his mod detected something that it didn't like while it was starting up, it stopped and said "oh dear, your config is messed up, please fix that".

No, it crashes the load. Complete with crash log.

What's really pathetic is GregTech already has code to refuse to init the mod without crashing. And chose to not use it.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
You are missing the point that it has never been about the fact that his recipe was changed. It has always been about the way HOW it was done

This is how it was done:

Code:
addShapedRecipeFirst(recipes, new ItemStack(Block.planks, 4, 0), "#", '#', new ItemStack(Block.wood, 1, 0));
addShapedRecipeFirst(recipes, new ItemStack(Block.planks, 4, 1), "#", '#', new ItemStack(Block.wood, 1, 1));
addShapedRecipeFirst(recipes, new ItemStack(Block.planks, 4, 2), "#", '#', new ItemStack(Block.wood, 1, 2));
addShapedRecipeFirst(recipes, new ItemStack(Block.planks, 4, 3), "#", '#', new ItemStack(Block.wood, 1, 3));

Oooh scary!
[DOUBLEPOST=1374248917][/DOUBLEPOST]
Throwing an exception, which is then caught and logged and triggers a graceful shutdown, is not a crash.

Yeah, actually it is. The program ceased operating in an erroneous manner.

Reactions: RedBoss

jokermatt999

Jul 29, 2019
Fine, taboo the word crash. Does it affect the users, and not just he mod author? Yes. Does it render the game unplayable without further modification? Yes. Is it acceptable to punish the userbase for a petty squabble? No. Use whatever word you want to describe making the game not work, it doesn't make it right. Virtually everyone here agrees that, and Slowpoke is saying (or at least strongly suggesting) that FTB's official policy is that it's not ok. Over in Greg's thread, he still thinks it's just fine and does not hurt the users. Clearly this is a conflict of fundamental philosophy, between the FTB teams' commitment to ship a working game free of harmful code and Greg's insistence that no one may alter his mod despite that being the primary thing his mod is know for doing.

Reactions: Flipz

LordBufu

Jul 29, 2019
Throwing an exception, which is then caught and logged and triggers a graceful shutdown, is not a crash. Especially when it occurs during startup and does not lead to world corruption.

Crash: A crash (or system crash) in computing is an event in which a computer or a program (such as a software application or an operating system) ceases to function properly, often exiting after encountering errors. Sometimes the offending program may appear to freeze of hang until a crash reporting service documents details of the crash.

Regardless of when it happens, a crash is a crash, no matter how gracefully it happened or how well its logged its still a crash no matter witch way you look it.

TheCyberTronn

Jul 29, 2019
This is how it was done:

Code:
addShapedRecipeFirst(recipes, new ItemStack(Block.planks, 4, 0), "#", '#', new ItemStack(Block.wood, 1, 0));
addShapedRecipeFirst(recipes, new ItemStack(Block.planks, 4, 1), "#", '#', new ItemStack(Block.wood, 1, 1));
addShapedRecipeFirst(recipes, new ItemStack(Block.planks, 4, 2), "#", '#', new ItemStack(Block.wood, 1, 2));
addShapedRecipeFirst(recipes, new ItemStack(Block.planks, 4, 3), "#", '#', new ItemStack(Block.wood, 1, 3));

Well, I may need to use that in my mod. Thanks for the heads-up!

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
Kearneysville, West Virginia
The 2 cents of a novice player (ignoring the drama & focusing on game experience): At first, I was hesitant to play modded because it looked overwhelmingly complicated (& it is, I rely heavily on direwolf20 & others to show me how things work), but some of the Let's Plays I was coming across were doing some very interesting things, & FTB made it simple to install. Imagine my surprise when I started playing & all those nifty beginner machines & tools that drew me in were now intermediate or even advanced machines requiring 10 - 100 x more vanilla resource gathering to get started with. (This is all FTB Ultimate for 1.4.7). With a lot of frustration & a moderate amount of research, I eventually learned that (1) GT was largely responsible & (2) there were these things called config files that I could edit to get most of the easy versions back (I have not yet learned how to get vanilla storage block crafting back). I typically play single survival w/cheats on easy mode (peaceful if I'm tired of being blown up in the middle of a big build or trying to collect mystcraft pages in unstable ages). Some mods make things more complicated while adding enough cool features to make it interesting, some make things easier, & some are downright cheaty (too easy & convenient can be less satisfying if it fills a personal end goal, but is nice if it is just a step along the way). As far as I have been able to tell in the vast sea of all the things, GT makes everything else more complicated than I want it to be while adding nothing that I am likely to ever work my way up to. If GT plays nice & remains a part of the Ultimate modpack, I will continue to work around it as best I can. If all this drama gets GT pulled from FTB altogether, I will not miss it.

Norren

Jul 29, 2019
lol. you pasted the wrong lines in the code. Yes that adds the recipe. but it uses his custom made function addShapedRecipeFirst. The basic way of adding recipes is GameRegistry.addRecipe(args).. The lines you wanted to paste is underneath those lines. just explains what you understand about the subject.
Those look suspiciously like the lines of mDiyo's code that add the vanilla plank recipes to the end of the recipe list to me. Isn't one missing from directly above that? I thought there was also one for Flint and SteelIron?

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
lol. you pasted the wrong lines in the code. Yes that adds the recipe. but it uses his custom made function addShapedRecipeFirst. The basic way of adding recipes is GameRegistry.addRecipe(args).. The lines you wanted to paste is underneath those lines. just explains what you understand about the subject.

And GameRegistry.addRecipe does absolutely nothing but call GameRegistry.addShapedRecipe, which does absolutely nothing but call CraftingManager.addRecipe.

Tinker's addShapedRecipeFirst is a copy of CraftingManager.addRecipe. There was, and is, no need to spam everybody by posting. This is in comparison to GT, which maintains an entirely separate crafting recipe list, going out of its way to not use the "basic way of adding recipes".

But keep patting yourself on the back, broken arms increase flexibility!

.... awww, Pooor CrissHill deleted their message. I'm gonna leave it here, quoted in its entirety. Because I'm mean.

Yosomith

Jul 29, 2019
I personally think this is truly a world gone mad. Greg acts like a complete arse (I don't actually support mDiyo either but Greg is worse), creates some malware minecraft mod and proves to everyone he can't be trusted, and he gets rewarded with his own mod pack for his "vision" instead of dropped by the curb like yesterday's trash?

Sad, sad days ahead I fear.

Edam

Jul 29, 2019
Fine, taboo the word crash. Does it affect the users, and not just he mod author? Yes. Does it render the game unplayable without further modification? Yes. Is it acceptable to punish the userbase for a petty squabble? No. Use whatever word you want to describe making the game not work, it doesn't make it right. Virtually everyone here agrees that, and Slowpoke is saying (or at least strongly suggesting) that FTB's official policy is that it's not ok. Over in Greg's thread, he still thinks it's just fine and does not hurt the users. Clearly this is a conflict of fundamental philosophy, between the FTB teams' commitment to ship a working game free of harmful code and Greg's insistence that no one may alter his mod despite that being the primary thing his mod is know for doing.

Why are we still talking about Greg altering any mod? That's not what happened here. In fact, how many mods has Greg altered drastically? IC2. It's an IC2 addon, after all.

Greg nerfed wood. He changed the vanilla game. A lot of mods do that, mind you. Not to mention, this change was completely configurable.

Then mDiyo counter-nerfed wood. Did he COMMUNICATE with Greg before-hand? I want to hear about that.

Greg goes on the defensive and makes the game crash if changes to his mod are detected.

mDiyo offers a ceasefire on Greg's thread on the IC2 forum. Greg removes the crash and mDiyo removes the anti-nerf.

mDiyo re-adds the anti-nerf, and Greg flips out.

lolpierandom

Jul 29, 2019
And GameRegistry.addRecipe does absolutely nothing but call GameRegistry.addShapedRecipe, which does absolutely nothing but call CraftingManager.addRecipe.

Tinker's addShapedRecipeFirst is a copy of CraftingManager.addRecipe. There was, and is, no need to spam everybody by posting. This is in comparison to GT, which maintains an entirely separate crafting recipe list, going out of its way to not use the "basic way of adding recipes".

But keep patting yourself on the back, broken arms increase flexibility!

.... awww, Pooor CrissHill deleted their message. I'm gonna leave it here, quoted in its entirety. Because I'm mean.

But if it's not done the GT way, it's instantly wrong, though!

Reactions: Flipz

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Why are we still talking about Greg altering any mod? That's not what happened here. In fact, how many mods has Greg altered drastically? IC2. It's an IC2 addon, after all.

What's modifying a mod? Changing a recipe they add? Then he's modified forestry (no config to reverse) IC2, and buildcraft.

Drastically is an opinion word and not a useful definer.

Greg nerfed wood. He changed the vanilla game. A lot of mods do that, mind you. Not to mention, this change was completely configurable.

Actually the number of mods that delete or change a vanilla recipe are very slim. RailCraft was the only example in FTB modpacks other than GregTech itself.

Also, and this cannot be emphasized enough: The configuration to control the wood nerf by GregTech did not function, and was not repaired until a point in time after GregTech started purposefully crashing the game. Of course, because Greg stubbornly refuses to provide downloads for intermediate versions, this fact is glossed over or ignored (and increasingly, not even known) by those arguing.

Finally, because of this refusal to provide downloads for intermediate versions there was no way to download from the official GT thread a version of GregTech for MC 1.5 that did not purposefully crash.

Then mDiyo counter-nerfed wood. Did he COMMUNICATE with Greg before-hand?

Why should he? No, seriously, why should he? mDiyo added a recipe, similar to all the other recipes he adds, he didn't delete a recipe, not even the recipe he was replacing. The recipe he adds happens to be the exact same as a vanilla recipe, but is otherwise not unique to all the other recipes his mods add.

mDiyo offers a ceasefire on Greg's forum. Greg removes the crash and mDiyo removes the anti-nerf.

Greg flipping out is Greg's problem, it is not a de facto imperative for others to act to cause the flipping out to stop. It's also hypocritical to the extreme, since Greg modifies Forestry bronze recipe, doesn't respect the config controlling Forestry's bronze recipe, and doesn't provide a config himself to avoid the change in more recent versions of GregTech. The three sins he is applying to mDiyo in this situation.

jokermatt999

Jul 29, 2019

Actually, no, most mods in FTB don't change vanilla recipes, at least without keeping the originals. The only two I have heard of are Railcraft (which buffs rails, an optional part of the game) and Ender Chests (which came before the vanilla recipe anyway). It's taboo to change vanilla recipes in the modding scene because it messes with every single other mods balance. That's not something that should *ever* be on by default, unless it's in a separate total conversion pack (which it sounds like GT will soon be).

Furthermore, he didn't just change a vanilla recipe, he changed the very first recipe every single player will use. He then decided to alter wood tools, stone tools, and make users jump through his hoops to even craft iron tools, which he also nerfed. So you can't even begin on any other mod except perhaps Tinker's Construct, which he then proceeded to make incompatible with his mod. He messed with every single other mod out there, every single user's beginning game experience, and then decided to make the game stop working all together for users because of something that should have been resolved by the mod authors. The only reason more of an uproar hasn't been made over him nerfing the worst part of Minecraft to be even longer is because he did even worse things after that. The plank recipe is just sheer pointless tedium for a resource that everyone has an abundance of after they finish the same exact boring few minutes (x2 now) that offer no difficulty or different game play. The iron tool nerf screws over anyone that uses a resource that requires an iron pick. That's not a mod, that's a total conversion, which apparently Greg considers his "IC2 addon" to be now.

DacEnDale

Jul 29, 2019

Then mDiyo counter-nerfed wood. Did he COMMUNICATE with Greg before-hand? I want to hear about that. mDiyo could have prevented this whole mess.

Greg goes on the defensive and makes the game crash if changes to his mod are detected.

mDiyo offers a ceasefire on Greg's thread on the IC2 forum. Greg removes the crash and mDiyo removes the anti-nerf.

Greg adding code to undo mDiyo unnerfing or redo his nerf is going on the defensive.
Adding code to crash the game is going on the offensive (even putting the crash code just on mDiyo, like the pumpkin, would have been more defensive).

It's unacceptable for mod authors to attack others through my play experience. Completely. Resolve the problem between themselves, I shouldn't be involved. If you feel you can't get a resolution and need to some how enrage the community to get something done, you need to work on your interpersonal skills!
If you feel your balance is better, present the user with a dialog to ask them which way they want it, don't just crash their game.
Although I like some of the stuff added by GT, I'm never going to use it again now. I'll have to create my own mod to replicate what I liked from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.