Greg Tech opinion discussions go here

Status
Not open for further replies.

EchoVector

Jul 29, 2019
I'm going to drop my own 2 cents into the pile from the viewpoint of a player, a server owner and as a programmer.

All of the "he said, she said" and other noise aside, I'm focused on a single, salient point:

Greg purposely crashed players games.

At the end of the day, from the perspective of each of the three hats that I wear, that was unconscionable, immature, unprofessional and inexcusable.

When you take it upon yourself to intentionally cause grief to an entire player base simply because someone did something that you didn't like, you have just ensured that rational, reasonable people will never trust their user base or their own playing experience to your possible terror-isms again.

We have been playing with a newer FTB load that does not include Gregtech, and the response has been universally positive.

While we will stay with this modpack pending the eventual release of Ultimate for 1.6 ( or beyond ), should we return to Ultimate, or any other FTB offering that includes Gregtech, we will be rendering it unusable; this by now popular demand.

Trust, when broken as this, cannot be regained very easily, if at all.

Of course, I speak only for myself and my users.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
Wow, it looks like things are heating up between greg and mdiyo again. Hopefully this time it doesn't end with greg doing something even worse.
hmm... don't want to blow it up versus the string that broke the camel's back. I'm not sure which tack I want to go with this nugget.

TylorGoldenYoshi

Jul 29, 2019
Eww, Minecraft modding drama. I'll give my two cents on this.

Greg is a hypocrite. It's so obvious that you have to be a Greg fanboy with your head up your ass to not even see the sheer, utter hypocrisy. So, is Greg the only one who's allowed to change recipes? NerfTech, in fact, doesn't even balance anything, it just adds unnecessary playtime. It doesn't add difficulty, it just adds tedium.

Gregtech's nerf is pretty much equal to just making Ryu's Hadouken move do 0 damage because it's an easy infinite by just performing it over and over again, rather than lowering hitstun and only allowing one Hadouken onscreen at a time.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
I feel you, but honestly it isn't a question of when. "When it happens" its booted off the island. Until then its something "One does simply ignore."

Include it until the malignant version can't be compatible. Then it gets left behind anyway.

TylorGoldenYoshi

Jul 29, 2019
I also need to point this out:
It would cause crashes with Bukkit, meaning that you did the same "bad" thing, and your Code is still there, mine is away.
He would have a point, except that the crashes with Bukkit aren't intentional. His crash with TC is.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
I also need to point this out:

He would have a point, except that the crashes with Bukkit aren't intentional. His crash with TC is.

Also, people point out it doesn't crash (I wouldn't know, I don't use bukkit) and mDiyo also points out he does not and has never supported bukkit.

Of course I don't know how much credence I give it, but we've gotten reports with our modpack that IC2 causes bukkit to crash....so since GT requires IC2....

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
Its really not his right, adding code to crash otherwise working software via third party means is Malware and prosecutable by law. Even if its not in what ever country he lives in he still can be extradited and tried in many other countries since he is distributing it to them.

He has it right, however the fault it more so on Greg then the FTB team as he is the one who distributed Malware.

It becomes slowpokes problem if he continues to distribute the malware IF the offending version(s) are part of any pack witch they may not be, I havent looked. I'm sure he is aware of all these shenanigans.

netchip

Jul 29, 2019
Greg is right. His crash isn't harmful, it isn't considered malicious. It crashes the game of the people who actively seem to support mDiyo. mDiyo did a very nasty hack to get the nerf reverted. It basically broke Bukkit support. << That's harmful. You could discuss about Greg's crash. But if Greg's crash was malicious, then mDiyo's hack was also.

Source: http://forum.industrial-craft.net/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=7156&pageNo=854

EchoVector

Jul 29, 2019
Greg is right. His crash isn't harmful, it isn't considered malicious. It crashes the game of the people who actively seem to support mDiyo. mDiyo did a very nasty hack to get the nerf reverted. It basically broke Bukkit support. << That's harmful. You could discuss about Greg's crash. But if Greg's crash was malicious, then mDiyo's hack was also.

Source: http://forum.industrial-craft.net/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=7156&pageNo=854

An intentional crash isn't harmful?

What a curious point of view.

I can only imagine the fun that would ensue if Android programmers held that view and caused crashes based on the detection of other's software.

Curious point of view, indeed.

jokermatt999

Jul 29, 2019
Jaded, I understand the reasoning behind that update, but Greg's disabling of the crash code would seem a lot more sincere if he acknowledged in anyway whatsoever that what he did harmed the users and was wrong. He's still defending crashing as a valid tactic as of his last post. I think it's reasonable for users to hold that against him. I've heard quite a few users point out that trust is not an easy thing to restore, and I agree with that. I'm not trying to argue with this decision, and this is the last time I'll bring it up here (I'll actually probably just drop off this forum in general actually), I just wanted to clarify why I think it's not irrelevant.

However, if this is in reference to the whole Sengir/Tekkit drama, oh my god that ancient history needs to just be buried, yes. I do see why it was brought up in the "Update on future Gregtech packs" as a legitimate question on what's valid and what's not, but the rest of that topic went far off the rails. It became "Discuss tekkit history!" instead of "Discuss future FTB!"

Edit: By the way, if you'd prefer this post in the other topic, I'd be happy to move it, but I figured it was more an opinion on Gregtech than anything else.

Hyperme

Popular Member
Apr 3, 2013
How can we judge a person, if not by their actions?

Anyhow I don't envy the moderators. Once the *lings come out in force, having to reread posts that say 'greg doesn't even game design' or 'mDiyo is a fish' because someone decided something was an 'attack' doesn't sound fun.

Also greg doesn't even game design. I mean wood nerf doesn't even add content.

netchip

Jul 29, 2019
An intentional crash isn't harmful?

What a curious point of view.

I can only imagine the fun that would ensue if Android programmers held that view and caused crashes based on the detection of other's software.

Curious point of view, indeed.
An intentional denerf with malicious effects isn't malicious?

1. mDiyo shouldn't change a mod which is designed to nerf. 2. mDiyo shouldn't crash bukkit servers.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019

Fact: mDiyo has never supported bukkit.
Fact: Intent matters
Fact: You've got nothing but heresay to back your claim Tinker's Construct with bukkit is even broken, and one reversed by direct links that Bukkit supports recipe changes in a manner that the heresay claim says it doesn't.

The hole is over there, under that rock. Crawl in it.

Sirithil

Jul 29, 2019
An intentional denerf with malicious effects isn't malicious?

1. mDiyo shouldn't change a mod which is designed to nerf. 2. mDiyo shouldn't crash bukkit servers.

1. Greg shouldn't change a mod that is designed to use wood in a particular way. If he wants his wood things to be twice as expensive he should make them require twice as much wood instead of breaking every other mod that uses wood. Does Greg even have any wood-using recipes? And if so, couldn't he make some kind of wood-planer machine that makes wood panels or something and for a wood panel you need two planks? That sounds Greggy. I don't know.
2. I'm pretty sure Forge doesn't even support Bukkit and if a port works it is as much luck as anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.