Greg Tech opinion discussions go here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jul 29, 2019
GT has gotten so ridiculous that he might as well make it so you just instantly die at midnight IG if you don't sleep through the night, or make a enderdragon spawn if you do stuff with other mods for more than one minecraft day.

brodaciouscoyote

Jul 29, 2019
Never had anything I felt strongly enough to register for until now. This entire fiasco is ridiculous. The nerfs are personal opinion, but the reaction is.. pretty spectacular. I didn't like when RichardG did the same thing with SolarHelmets, whereupon he checked if several mods that were in Technic were installed and would crash out Minecraft if so (even if you weren't using Technic and had put together the mods yourself), and I don't like it now. I stopped using Solar Helmets after that, and though we have to live with Gregtech until we reset the server, my friends and I will be removing it from future servers.

This is outright malware intent on making Minecraft inoperable. And yes, this version didn't make it into FTB, but any other modpack that updates on the fly could have. And as someone who installs mods manually, I don't ever want to have that happen just because of some modders disputing. Granted, it's still better than having things explode in my world, but still..

Bob_Sack

Jul 29, 2019
Greg had every right to do what he did, and we have every right to stop using his mod. That's called a boycott, people. Whether or not he cares enough about our status of users of his mod will decide if he'll lay off or not. The real question is what will Slowpoke do about FTB in regards to Gregtech? 152wgt and 152ngt are signs Ultimate could be splitting or GT being considered for removal, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Reactions: Hoho and egor66

Jul 29, 2019
Nah, first Greg would disable the vanilla recipe and require you to use the new Bedinator to craft it using a dozen wool, a stack of feathers, steel springs crafted with the new Enspringinator machine, and a bed frame.
XD I hope he doesn't see this and actually do that, though no one would use his mod anymore.

lolpierandom

Jul 29, 2019
Greg had every right to do what he did, and we have every right to stop using his mod. That's called a boycott, people. Whether or not he cares enough about our status of users of his mod will decide if he'll lay off or not. The real question is what will Slowpoke do about FTB in regards to Gregtech? 152wgt and 152ngt are signs Ultimate could be splitting or GT being considered for removal, so we'll just have to wait and see.

I want to see where this "right to crash other's games for lulz" is, because I certainly don't see it anywhere, implied or written.

Bob_Sack

Jul 29, 2019
I want to see where this "right to crash other's games for lulz" is, because I certainly don't see it anywhere, implied or written.

He does have a right to do that. Past mod makers have put in backdoors and intentional crashes and while the community always backlashed at such additions; they either went back on the change and life went on as normal, and/or people stopped using the mod. So relax with the pseudo-lawyering.

Reactions: Whovian

lolpierandom

Jul 29, 2019
He does have a right to do that. Past mod makers have put in backdoors and intentional crashes and while the community always backlashed at such additions; they either went back on the change and life went on as normal, and/or people stopped using the mod. So relax with the pseudo-lawyering.

Again, where's his right?

Would it be okay for him to put a keylogger for Minecraft that steals your account info?

What about something that locks the minecraft.jar down permanently and prevents modification?

Reactions: Flipz

Bob_Sack

Jul 29, 2019

Would it be okay for him to put a keylogger for Minecraft that steals your account info?

What about something that locks the minecraft.jar down permanently and prevents modification?

Well the 1st is illegal, so no he doesn't really have a right to do that. Good thing he didn't. The second he does have the right to do; that'd be a pretty poor mod imo.

Jul 29, 2019

Your right what he is doing is turning his mod into malware and that is just plain wrong.

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019

Nope, cos that allows absurd permanent consequences such as managing to get banned from <arbitrary server> or hacking into all sorts of other accounts. This, I believe, along with actually doing certain things with it, would be illegal in the US.

(Though using a keylogger would be impossible, one can't modify anything that happens before launching the game itself without modifying the launcher.)

Maybe, but that would be impossible in the first place.

It seems some dispute is present over where the line over what Greg has the "right" to do. How far does the implied permission to modify Minecraft go? Does it extend to changes which are easily preventable in the future, but are a temporary nuisance?

lolpierandom

Jul 29, 2019
Quick question to anybody who wants to PM me with the answer, who happens to know how the IC2 forum operates.

There's been claims that GT is a mod there, and that he abuses the position to delete posts that he views as attacks.
There's been counter claims that he's not a mod.

http://forum.industrial-craft.net/index.php?page=Thread&postID=120792#post120792

How does he know what posts are reported?

I have no idea. He doesn't seem to be a mod, but then again, how would he know?

Jakeb

Jul 29, 2019
Has anyone started a count yet on how many people have joined the forums today or yesterday just to voice their opinion (negative or otherwise) on this thread? It seems like every other post I see on this thread is by someone who joined today.

knight2109

Jul 29, 2019

Its really not his right, adding code to crash otherwise working software via third party means is Malware and prosecutable by law. Even if its not in what ever country he lives in he still can be extradited and tried in many other countries since he is distributing it to them.

With zero drama:
If the GT version(s) in question are not part of any FTB pack, then there is no issue with FTB.
If it is part of a (publicly available) FTB pack, slowpoke has a legal obligation to remove the offending version. Computer Fraud and Abuse Act (CFAA), 18 U.S.C. 1030

He has it right, however the fault it more so on Greg then the FTB team as he is the one who distributed Malware.

Jul 29, 2019
It happened. He fixed it. It's done. And though it may sound cheesy, I think that somewhere within his nerf obsessed heart he feels sorry for what he did.

Now that is a real mystery.
I think he probably had his mod or whatever status hidden so that no one would bug him about it cause I have seen that in other forums where a mod has hidden that fact so they don't get bugged about pointless stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.