Greg Tech opinion discussions go here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyperme

Popular Member
Apr 3, 2013
Wait. Gregling logic demands Greg is always right. What happens when, for whatever reason, Greg makes something require itself with no other path to said something? How will they react? Will Greg try to cover it up?

Also mDiyo's avatar isn't grass type. All that green and you'd think it would be. What type is Greg anyhow?

netchip

Jul 29, 2019
Fact: mDiyo has never supported bukkit.
Fact: Intent matters
Fact: You've got nothing but heresay to back your claim Tinker's Construct with bukkit is even broken, and one reversed by direct links that Bukkit supports recipe changes in a manner that the heresay claim says it doesn't.

The hole is over there, under that rock. Crawl in it.
Hah. MCPC+ mate ;)

LordBufu

Jul 29, 2019
Greg is right. His crash isn't harmful, it isn't considered malicious. It crashes the game of the people who actively seem to support mDiyo. mDiyo did a very nasty hack to get the nerf reverted. It basically broke Bukkit support. << That's harmful. You could discuss about Greg's crash. But if Greg's crash was malicious, then mDiyo's hack was also.

Source: http://forum.industrial-craft.net/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=7156&pageNo=854

The worst type of crash is an intentional crash tbh, cause they where caused intentionally and not by accident or hardware failure or witch ever reason you can think of that is not with in your control.

Also an interesting fact is that you mention it only crashes those whom actively support mDiyo, witch is a load of crap tbh cause you had to have both mod installed and updated to that point to even get the crash. Meaning they also liked Gregtech (or tried to like it for that matter), witch again means the supported both sides at that point in time.

If you are going to trow random arguments in there at-least check you facts before telling story's that dint happen in the first place.

And just a FYI, that bukkit crash you need to read up more on it, cause you kind of missed a few facts there aswell.

More on-topic though, any words on a "server -> client" config push option so we can all just leave this behind us ?
Best solution ever i tell yah, one mod pack to hold it all, end user gets to make up what works and what doesn't, sounds great doesn't it ?
All we need then is a server config to enable and disable mods in the pack and we have the best solution ever.

EchoVector

Jul 29, 2019
An intentional denerf with malicious effects isn't malicious?

1. mDiyo shouldn't change a mod which is designed to nerf. 2. mDiyo shouldn't crash bukkit servers.

1. Did that, in and of itself, crash anyone's game?

2. You are saying that mDiyo intentionally, with malice aforethought, crashed Bukkit servers? If so, then of course they are both guilty.
Please point me to the evidence of malicious code insertion, not programmer error.

Reactions: Flipz

netchip

Jul 29, 2019
1. Did that, in and of itself, crash anyone's game?

2. You are saying that mDiyo intentionally, with malice aforethought, crashed Bukkit servers? If so, then of course they are both guilty.
Please point me to the evidence of malicious code insertion, not programmer error.
He made it crashing by using nasty programming tactics. That's enough I think.

EchoVector

Jul 29, 2019

I'm sorry, but no, accusations without proof aren't "enough".

Please point to the code mDiyo inserted that was for the specific purposes of causing a crash.

There are enough programmers here, aside from myself, to vet the claim.

TylorGoldenYoshi

Jul 29, 2019

First of, prove it. Cite your sources, instead of making blanket claims.

Also, this:
Greg gave people the "pumpkin of shame" because he didn't agree with them. What defense do you have toward that childish move?

lolpierandom

Jul 29, 2019

No, he used legitimate programming techniques and simply made them load last. It is simple as that.

And stop using your claim that "Gregtech's purpose is to nerf stuff". There is no simpler way for me to say it; that claim is complete BS. Who gave Greg an exclusive claim on every goddamn recipe in the game, vanilla or modded? I certainly didn't see Mojang write "Only Greg is allowed to change recipes". Okay, so Greg's making the nerf the way he wants to play it. How about mDiyo is making it so that people who play his mod play how he plays it?

He's only done what Greg has done in literally every single recipe change he's done EVER. What makes this different? The only difference I see is how the original coder dealt with it- others just worked around Greg or tolerated it; Greg responded by crashing the game for no reason other than "but I dun wanna let them play nice together"

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
Considering how Team Bukkit has treated the Forge community in the past I think it is patently silly to demand mod authors produce copacetic code for it. Porting that code is the responsibility of the people who have taken it upon themselves to make these disparate frameworks work together. I admire their tenacity in doing so, but it doesn't mandate the mod devs to meet them halfway.

You're grasping at straws. Sad ones, at that.

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
Considering how Team Bukkit has treated the Forge community in the past I think it is patently silly to demand mod authors produce copacetic code for it. Porting that code is the responsibility of the people who have taken it upon themselves to make these disparate frameworks work together. I admire their tenacity in doing so, but it doesn't mandate the mod devs to meet them halfway.

You're grasping at straws. Sad ones, at that.
Lol I remember that one so well, but even they where not as bluntly down right insulting, just would not share the code required to make them work together & came up will silly reasons as to why they would/should not, even when politely asked & explained why forge need it to make both work as a team.

Some people have the mind set "its my ball & if I cant be the striker then no one plays" or w/e your national ball related sport is.[DOUBLEPOST=1374271516][/DOUBLEPOST]
Forge modders have never cared about bukkit compatability. Why should they start now?
forge did try to approach bukkit to create a common code format for both to use.

Hawklight

Jul 29, 2019
Any FTB pack that I use now and in the future that has GTech in it will be removed as I have done with the pack I and using at this time.
I did not like what it did to the game. it as also been removed from the server that I own.

Reactions: SpitefulFox

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
One issue for me is now if there is a dedicated GT pack created by FTB how will that effect the standing of FTB in the eyes on the non committed & the hand full of ppl that do not wish to support GT or anything supporting GT ?

lolpierandom

Jul 29, 2019
It shouldn't. Like it or not, there is a Gregtech community- since FTB caters to a lot of audiences, it would be highly illogical for them to drop such a high profile mod completely, even regarding the what the mod author may or may have not done with the mod.

Whether people will use it or not is a different story.

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
It shouldn't. Like it or not, there is a Gregtech community- since FTB caters to a lot of audiences, it would be highly illogical for them to drop such a high profile mod completely, even regarding the what the mod author may or may have not done with the mod.

Whether people will use it or not is a different story.

Hypothetically, what WOULD Greg have to do to go too far for FTB?

Other than the obvious answer of just asking the FTB team to stop using his mod. :p

brainbaobao

Jul 29, 2019
No, that's not how it works.

Forget the term "crash", that's a loaded word that's distorting the issue. What Greg did was to make it so that if his mod detected something that it didn't like while it was starting up, it stopped and said "oh dear, your config is messed up, please fix that". Almost every single MC mod does exactly the same thing -- and most of the time you WANT them to do this, because generally the things they're checking for are things that will corrupt your world if you don't fix them first.

In this case, the mod was checking for "some other mod changed my mod", and refusing to continue when this was the case. This is not an unreasonable thing to do (although a much more "optional" and less "world-breaking" event), and not even in itself a malicious thing to do -- though obviously it limits which mods can be used together, which might cause players to not want to use one or the other of the mods. I guess Greg was assuming that his one would "win". But again, this is not unreasonable -- after all, a mod author is perfectly justified to make their mod work how they want it to, and not have anyone else "break" it. (And this is also not new. Look at RedPower.) And if you don't like it, well, nobody is forcing you to play with GregTech or with TConstruct, or any other mod.

(Personally, I haven't used either mod yet, but I'm more interested in playing with TConstruct than GregTech anyway. I've never been particularly interested in "hard mode".)

I love both mods, that is what makes it so heartbreaking to find how different the devs are. Whereas mDiyo is rather reasonable, greg has a rather "i don't give a d*mn attitude" towards players. But the fact that it forces forge to load gregtech first, then check specifically for tconstruct, is very unreasonable and intolerable.[DOUBLEPOST=1374272873][/DOUBLEPOST]
I tried mindcrack. First turn off was the screen of text at world creation that made me feel that greg has a sandy vag about a great number of things. DId my best to progress up through everything outside of GT because I saw it as a resource black hole, but I wanted to atleast see if there were any advantages GT provided in the beginning and end games that would help as a bridge across several other mods as alt recipies. (I appreciate the flexibility of using all my inventories) I always have copper supply problems, or in fact redstone supply, and even iron sometimes. kinda wish alt recipies weren't so much harder to make than their originals. atleast in mindcracks147 version it didn't seem terrible, but I just stopped the world, backed it up and put it on the shelf until I could find a reasonable way to get iridium. I am not interested in mining or even quarrying for days to find that crap. I was also getting lost in all of the GT ores and their purpose. I'll probably go back that way at somepoint, but in Ultimate FTB, not mindcrack.

Do some research, the ultimate pack is harder than the mindcrack pack.

Menoch

Jul 29, 2019
I have to jump in here... well... I don't have to... But I will. I don't know why... but I will.

If Gregorious was Johnny Walker or Joe Satriani, I would say. I know that dude!
But I don't.
I would guess that a majority of individuals on this forum don't know the Infamous (and yes he is NOW infamous) Gregorious B. Alouicious T. and therefore are insinuating/speculating, taking into account their feelings/opinions. And that is all great and such... in a very new-age journalistic way. Hell if it weren't for the New York Post and Daily News I sure wouldn't know true "opinion becomes fact" writing if it bit me in the ass-note.

But after keeping tabs on this more than heated topic, one thing is clear. Intentionally crashing a user's client, host, or OS is a big Funking no. There it is. I said Funking. Here comes George Clinton with the Smack-down. You just don't do that.

Should he be banned from FTB? Well... I am not a member of the FTB committee, nor do I have the cape and spandex to prove that I am. But this a situation that I think we should ALL stand back and take a HUGE look at from a different perspective.

I for one am guilty of doing some F'd up shizzle out of frustration and anger. I have at one point in my life or another felt wronged, pushed to a "limit" or had my proverbial buttons pushed to the point of popping like a pre-pubescent's prom zit. And while it doesnt' nor has it ever made it right for me to explode, take vengeance, or smash somebody's windshield with a petrified beaver, the "human" in me has come out.
I am grateful that those who have been in my life took that time to step back (after firmly planting a multifaceted boot of reality in my ass) and gave me the benefit of the doubt and took it upon themselves to be the bigger "man" and forgive me.

Notch is responsible for two incredibly incredible things.
The first being that he took a notion, passion, and love and turned it loose on a world that is now pulsing like one big underground heart, and that heart is called MINECRAFT.
The second is that he brought together a community of geeks, outcasts, friends, families, jocks, nerds, and ... well... people from different funking CONTINENTS, and united us. There is no language barrier. Because we all speak Minecraftian.

There is a time for punishment, and there is a time for a smack on the wrist. GregoriousT is a Modder with ingenuity and some phat skill.
mDiyo is a Modder with smoove moves and creative modding skill and this also is a fact.
I wrote a few music tracks for a mod, but my artistic ability is in no way a comparison to half of you guys and gals in this community. You all really astound me and I am not trying to blow smoke up anybody's turd pincher here!

So here is what I propose, If I may humbly be so bold as to do so. We are a family. And family should forgive family. It is up to us to work together and Iron out the bumps in this road. it is also up to us to look to eachother for support and to help eachother become better people, modders, artists, gamers, ninjas, and Orangutan Pianists!

From the ingenuity and skills or Modders to the Painters and sculpters that are mod-pack designers, we need to be looking to a bigger and better minecraft community future and let this be a lesson for all.

Hell, if Axle Rose can still go on tour, I strongly submit there is Hope for GregoriousT.

Greg! Who loves ya babe!? We do! Lets get Crack-a-lackin!

GAME ON,
MENOCH

Status
Not open for further replies.