Future of Mods With 1.5

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Are 1.5 And The New Mods Good?

• Yes

Votes: 56 84.8%
  • No

Votes: 10 15.2%

• Total voters

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
If KingLemming did say that doesn't that show that yes the code changes enough between patches that updating mods is a tad tricky. Not "lolz change config file". If I remember a video I saw it was even stated that every update, pre snapshots, was tough due to Mojang hiding the code.

look, the ''change the config file'' was about changing ids, not about anything else.

Reactions: ILoveGregTech

bwillb

Jul 29, 2019
Ok guys lets cut down the flame wars I don't want this thread locked... You can discuss but no need to call people retarded or straight up argue... If you put your opinion out there it is subject to discussion NOT arguing... Thanks carry on
Why does your signature beg for likes and followers? What do you gain out of it? You gonna put some advertisements in your posts?

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
images

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
Yea it's been pissing me off, I wasn't sure if these forums were like that too. People who ask for likes don't deserve them in my opinion. And poor ILoveGregtech will never be able to enjoy the enormous goodies and perks that us "Active Members" and above get.

Hey guys, so how was FTB's 1.5.0 beta? (Oh, they let us test it, sorry normal members.) I'm pretty sure that Well-Known's got to try out RP3 and IC4. Granted, IC4 is...the same thing, but I know there are some cool things coming out in RP3.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
Yea it's been pissing me off, I wasn't sure if these forums were like that too. People who ask for likes don't deserve them in my opinion. And poor ILoveGregtech will never be able to enjoy the enormous goodies and perks that us "Active Members" and above get.
you lose those perks when you become well known :(

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
I find it funny that ILoveGregtech is more tolerant than a bunch of other people here, I like what he posts more than other people, and that's to say a lot, since, if you haven't seen my signature, I hate greg and his waste of time.

ILoveGregTech

Jul 29, 2019
just a little bit of a heads up because you're pretty new here... people don't take so well to backseat moderating..
What do you mean backseat moderating?
I'm just tired of getting 20 notifications a day about stupid stuff. I don't mind going off topic a little bit and even discussion here and there. I'm simply trying to not get my thread locked (and possibly worse another strike against my account, if that happens due to a locked thread).

Peffern

Jul 29, 2019
I've come a little late to the party. If anyone knows me from the TFC suggestion forums, I get very, very, hyper-active on the forums for a few weeks, then stop and never come back. So if I stop forever, try spamming me. That usually works.
But anyway, back to my actual point about 1.5.
I rate content into three tiers: tier 1, tier 2, and tier 3. I have used these to make my redpower vs. buildcraft argument and I will use them here. A higher tier is NOT necessarily better.

Tier one are things perform a relatively simple function, and do it well. Buildcraft mining wells (direwolf20 spamming aside) are a good example; they have one use and are used for that.
Tier three are things that are not as good at simple things (tier one is better) but can be assembled into massive, complicated things that can do things that tier one objects can only dream of. Redpower frames are a good example. Using frames to transport items is stupid, but they can assemble amazing things.

Tier two is kind of caught in the middle. Basically, they still do one job, but it's a more complicated job. Also, they can't usually be assembled into anything grander. Buildcraft quarries are kind of an example: what they do is great, but that's about all they can do.

Tier three is amazing. Period. However, it is often overkill, laggy, and inefficient for just picking the drops from my mob spawner etc.
Tier one is good to have around just to the small things.

Tier two is the middle child of the family. They're not amazing enough to stand alone by themselves, and they can't be used to build greater things.
Point is, tier two sucks.

Redpower has almost all of the tier three objects in feed the beast. However, there isn't very much tier one stuff. Using filters and pneumatic tubes is overkill when diamond pipes are must simpler(although more expensive). Redpower can and will always be capable of doing things buildcraft can only dream of. But, many new players prefer buildcraft since its tier one is better. But I digress.

My point is that 1.5 has added a huge list of tier two things. Redstone signal strength for example, and block hoppers.
If I could remove this update, I would.

ILoveGregTech

Jul 29, 2019
I find it funny that ILoveGregtech is more tolerant than a bunch of other people here, I like what he posts more than other people, and that's to say a lot, since, if you haven't seen my signature, I hate greg and his waste of time.
*checks to see I'm following him*
Phew![DOUBLEPOST=1363730480][/DOUBLEPOST]
I've come a little late to the party. If anyone knows me from the TFC suggestion forums, I get very, very, hyper-active on the forums for a few weeks, then stop and never come back. So if I stop forever, try spamming me. That usually works.
But anyway, back to my actual point about 1.5.
I rate content into three tiers: tier 1, tier 2, and tier 3. I have used these to make my redpower vs. buildcraft argument and I will use them here. A higher tier is NOT necessarily better.

Tier one are things perform a relatively simple function, and do it well. Buildcraft mining wells (direwolf20 spamming aside) are a good example; they have one use and are used for that.
Tier three are things that are not as good at simple things (tier one is better) but can be assembled into massive, complicated things that can do things that tier one objects can only dream of. Redpower frames are a good example. Using frames to transport items is stupid, but they can assemble amazing things.

Tier two is kind of caught in the middle. Basically, they still do one job, but it's a more complicated job. Also, they can't usually be assembled into anything grander. Buildcraft quarries are kind of an example: what they do is great, but that's about all they can do.

Tier three is amazing. Period. However, it is often overkill, laggy, and inefficient for just picking the drops from my mob spawner etc.
Tier one is good to have around just to the small things.

Tier two is the middle child of the family. They're not amazing enough to stand alone by themselves, and they can't be used to build greater things.
Point is, tier two sucks.

Redpower has almost all of the tier three objects in feed the beast. However, there isn't very much tier one stuff. Using filters and pneumatic tubes is overkill when diamond pipes are must simpler(although more expensive). Redpower can and will always be capable of doing things buildcraft can only dream of. But, many new players prefer buildcraft since its tier one is better. But I digress.

My point is that 1.5 has added a huge list of tier two things. Redstone signal strength for example, and block hoppers.
If I could remove this update, I would.
You're not late...Mods aren't even updated to 1.5 keep chatting I like this attention on my threads :D that's why I created it...[DOUBLEPOST=1363730580][/DOUBLEPOST]
Why does your signature beg for likes and followers? What do you gain out of it? You gonna put some advertisements in your posts?
My signature doesn't BEG for followers it simply says hit that like button if you like what I say...
And for a good reason: I'm trying to become an active member (1 like away)
I think a lot of people on these forums hate what I say because of my name (and I"m trying to change that) but like my profile pic that was asked to be changed I will change my signature too..........................................

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
@Peffern: Something thought. Maybe I missed it but exactly how does signal strength do anything? WIll it still power your piston, iron door, ect? If yes and the change in strength is minimal then nothing really too hot. Hoppers will be awesome mixed in with other sorters and by themselves. The block helps with storage and getting rid of BUD switches (I think).

While I do agree that BC helps a lot early on in the game the pipes cause issues as well as the tubes. Pipes are not smart enough for some tasks while tubes can case lag issues. RP2, to me, allows for a bigger variety of ways to get things done.

Also welcome to the forums. ^_^

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
@Peffern: Something thought. Maybe I missed it but exactly how does signal strength do anything? WIll it still power your piston, iron door, ect? If yes and the change in strength is minimal then nothing really too hot. Hoppers will be awesome mixed in with other sorters and by themselves. The block helps with storage and getting rid of BUD switches (I think).

While I do agree that BC helps a lot early on in the game the pipes cause issues as well as the tubes. Pipes are not smart enough for some tasks while tubes can case lag issues. RP2, to me, allows for a bigger variety of ways to get things done.

Also welcome to the forums. ^_^

the redstone signal strength is now able to be detected (in vanilla, only by the comparator) instead of being 1 or 0 (true or false)

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
Sooo then only one block makes use of signal strength? Would it not be a tad more useful to say..the weaker the signal the longer something would take to respond using the dust?

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
Sooo then only one block makes use of signal strength? Would it not be a tad more useful to say..the weaker the signal the longer something would take to respond using the dust?

yeah, but that will break a lot of contraptions, because most of them use like, a line of redstone to power and stuff, and if you use repeaters, the compactness goes away...

EDIT: also, making something take longer to respond is done by repeaters...