Future of Mods With 1.5

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Are 1.5 And The New Mods Good?

• Yes

Votes: 56 84.8%
  • No

Votes: 10 15.2%

• Total voters

OmegaPython

Jul 29, 2019
I suspect that one of the major headaches in 1.5 for Redpower will be the fact that any texture can be animated - I think all microblocks are static textured at the moment, microblocks require a lot of custom rendering code, so in theory microblocks will have to be animated which might be difficult and could look really weird.
Textures don't HAVE to be animated. I agree that the new texture format could be a major pain for microblocks though.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Textures don't HAVE to be animated.
True, but Eloraam has no control over whether any particular block is animated. If I want animated dirt, I can have animated dirt. But will a Dirt Cover be animated? Will two Dirt Slab Strips placed together have seamless animation, or would that be really difficult for some reason? I don't know enough about texture rendering to even know if it's a big problem or not. Buildcraft Facades aren't such a problem as they are an entire unbroken block surface.

Redweevil

Jul 29, 2019
On the subject of the uselessness of wolves, it turns out they can make a fairly nice way of player detection in vanilla.

While I agree that mods will always be superior, I quite like some of the more rudimentary features of vanilla. Often tempts me to play it again

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
I like the cow player detector, that one was cool.
I can't see me going into vanilla unless they added a few things, like the quartz grindstone. No energy, replace quartz with flint, and it's very basic. Maybe make it require double coal and you right clicking it, but some basic vanilla things like that would be cool.

Qwertz

Jul 29, 2019
I look forward to the new redstone changes, even though I have no clue how to use the comparator and such. I both like and dislike the hopper. (Forestry hopper textures are the best...)

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
...I have no clue how to use the comparator and such.
I've not used one, and I don't know all the uses, but one of them that sounds awesome is checking for an empty or full inventory. If you place it against a chest, then it emits no signal if the chest is emtpy. It emits a Level 16 signal if it's full. So you could turn a machine off if there's nothing in the chest, or if the chest is empty, or you could even run 8 pieces of redstone dust and turn a machine on when the chest is half full, and a different machine if it's half empty. This way I can turn off my quarry without a Buildcraft Gate! (I have no Assembly Table yet)

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
This way I can turn off my quarry without a Buildcraft Gate! (I have no Assembly Table yet)

Eh, assembly tables and lasers are fairly cheap, although given that there is now a much cheaper way to do as much, they'll likely need to adjust the cost for one of the systems to better balance.

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
Wow. So is there even a 1.5 update or is the Redstone update now 1.5.1? I dunno. Lots of lighting fixes and many bug stomps. I give it two more weeks then release.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Wow. So is there even a 1.5 update or is the Redstone update now 1.5.1? I dunno. Lots of lighting fixes and many bug stomps. I give it two more weeks then release.

There was a release of 1.5.0 on Monday, which was the "redstone update". 1.5.1, which should be released later this week or possibly early next week, will be a bugfix to the 1.5.0 release. It's still technically a part of the "redstone update", which is the entire 1.5.* (the asterisk means "anything", as it is what is known as a "wildcard" symbol) update.

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
Ahhh okies. Just found it odd that the wiki, unless I just spaced it out, didn't put 1.5.0 on there just went to the snapshot. Either way I am not going to throw any big parties for this update.

Qwertz

Jul 29, 2019
I've not used one, and I don't know all the uses, but one of them that sounds awesome is checking for an empty or full inventory. If you place it against a chest, then it emits no signal if the chest is emtpy. It emits a Level 16 signal if it's full. So you could turn a machine off if there's nothing in the chest, or if the chest is empty, or you could even run 8 pieces of redstone dust and turn a machine on when the chest is half full, and a different machine if it's half empty. This way I can turn off my quarry without a Buildcraft Gate! (I have no Assembly Table yet)
I like that idea. :)

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
Actually it says at least. Even the main wiki update doesn't say more then 1.4.7. So correct me if I am wrong but 1.5 made performace worse then 1.4.7 and it took a patch to get it equal to 1.4.7. Odd

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Actually it says at least. Even the main wiki update doesn't say more then 1.4.7. So correct me if I am wrong but 1.5 make performace worse then 1.4.7 and it took a patch to get it equal to 1.4.7. Odd

My tests of 1.5 and 1.5.1 have shown you to be correct.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
well, I tested, and 1.4.7 = 30 fps, not stable

1.5.1 = 60 fps, really stable

oh, and everybody can edit the wiki :)