Future of GeoStrata and DyeTrees

Should I move the magic-like content from GeoStrata to DyeTrees, and rename DyeTrees?

• Total voters

Jack0928PC

Jul 29, 2019
I would prefer if you did move parts of GeoStrata, not a huge fan of the crystals to be honest, think this is a great solution and will appease the complaints of many.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
...? Dye Trees can have the Biome Disabled, for one. As an odd sidenote, you can also disable the trees spawning outside of that biome. Unless @Reika caught this catch22 and made a way to disable both impossible
Mostly. It detects if you did both and makes the saplings craftable and drop from vanilla leaves.

Also, a lot of the people in this thread are misunderstanding two main points. I have updated my original post to include the following:
  • Splitting the magic into a third mod is not an option. I do not want another mod to manage, and it will only complicate matters. Additionally, the crystals are not standalone; they are required for what is now half of GeoStrata content.
  • If I do split the mods, there will not be a config to disable parts of the mod. This is mainly because those parts will eventually become required for other parts as the mod develops a true "magic tree".

Reactions: Jack0928PC

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Mostly. It detects if you did both and makes the saplings craftable and drop from vanilla leaves.

Also, a lot of the people in this thread are misunderstanding two main points. I have updated my original post to include the following:
  • Splitting the magic into a third mod is not an option. I do not want another mod to manage, and it will only complicate matters. Additionally, the crystals are not standalone; they are required for what is now half of GeoStrata content.
  • If I do split the mods, there will not be a config to disable parts of the mod. This is mainly because those parts will eventually become required for other parts as the mod develops a true "magic tree".
Huh. Reika, you's the bestest at this, you know dat?

Also seriously, all the griping aside, can't wait. Seems I get this reaction from almost everything you're making...

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013

Hmm it is a rather difficult point then. Cause no matter which mod you build the magic mod upon there will be people that doesn't like the basis(rocks or trees). So I will personally be sad to see the magic stuff go to Dyetrees(unless that mod radically changes), cause without any config options to not have the trees spawn in the world I probably wouldn't play the mod.

KurShedir

Jul 29, 2019
Splitting the magic into a third mod is not an option. I do not want another mod to manage, and it will only complicate matters.

Honestly, I wasn't thinking of a magic mod with a progression tree but about the possibility to put together all your "extra worldgen" content in one mod, with configurable modules (in that case, configs would be important). GeoStrata, Dye Trees, Ender Forest, Cave Control, MeteorCraft. Even the Void Monster, you may never know if the server you join has it on or off, because If you see it in the modlist you know he's out there somewhere. Or maybe GeoStrata rocks and Cave Control in one mod, all the other "fantasy" and unrealistic content in another mod. Obviously, only if this would be comfortable for you to maintain, I'm just wondering if that would make sense to you.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
PpgNg5s.gif

kilteroff

Jul 29, 2019
I vote for whatever makes it easier for Reika to push content :) Merging Meteorcraft with a rock-only Geostrata would make sense too imho.

Reactions: KurShedir

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Honestly, I wasn't thinking of a magic mod with a progression tree but about the possibility to put together all your "extra worldgen" content in one mod, with configurable modules (in that case, configs would be important). GeoStrata, Dye Trees, Ender Forest, Cave Control, MeteorCraft. Even the Void Monster, you may never know if the server you join has it on or off, because If you see it in the modlist you know he's out there somewhere. Or maybe GeoStrata rocks and Cave Control in one mod, all the other "fantasy" and unrealistic content in another mod. Obviously, only if this would be comfortable for you to maintain, I'm just wondering if that would make sense to you.
This would not be at all sensible.

I vote for whatever makes it easier for Reika to push content :) Merging Meteorcraft with a rock-only Geostrata would make sense too imho.
Absolutely not, especially given how many people hate MeteorCraft and would much rather complain about impact craters than look into the configs.

Jacobbelveder

Jul 29, 2019
I am curious - why is there such a discontinuity between the poll - overwhelmingly in favor of the move and rename - and the comments, which are 50/50 at best?

it's easy to click a button, but takes time to type out an answer.

also I'd say splitting them up is only going to give people more choice, and that's gotta be a good thing.

Reactions: PierceSG

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
it's easy to click a button, but takes time to type out an answer.

also I'd say splitting them up is only going to give people more choice, and that's gotta be a good thing.

An answer also requires some thought, no matter how rudimentary.

I read the whole thread to understand the situation a bit more thoroughly. I can now see and somewhat understand the concerns of all sides, but it comes down to this for me... I can avoid dyed trees easily. I cannot avoid all the different cobblestones that fill up my pack when mining without taking the time to dump them periodically or running back to empty my pack often (I now keep all but vanilla cobble in a file cabinet, btw), but I prefer to keep anything that may have a use someday. I'm in favor of the split.

If the Geostrata mod becomes more useful to me as it matures then I can add it back into my "playlist", but for now I'd rather not deal with the cobbles.

kilteroff

Jul 29, 2019
I am curious - why is there such a discontinuity between the poll - overwhelmingly in favor of the move and rename - and the comments, which are 50/50 at best?
I think it's many people, myself included, who actually like Geostrata crystals ..but aren't crazy about the rock, but don't use dyetrees heavily, but don't want to be selfish so we're voting for the logical / greater good and not our own super particular demands.

Reactions: Not_Steve

belgabor

Jul 29, 2019
Welcome to polls on the internet =)
But seriously, I can't speak for other people but for me it seemd just like the most obvious and logical choice not needing any additional comment.

Reactions: kaovalin

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
An answer also requires some thought, no matter how rudimentary.

I read the whole thread to understand the situation a bit more thoroughly. I can now see and somewhat understand the concerns of all sides, but it comes down to this for me... I can avoid dyed trees easily. I cannot avoid all the different cobblestones that fill up my pack when mining without taking the time to dump them periodically or running back to empty my pack often (I now keep all but vanilla cobble in a file cabinet, btw), but I prefer to keep anything that may have a use someday. I'm in favor of the split.

If the Geostrata mod becomes more useful to me as it matures then I can add it back into my "playlist", but for now I'd rather not deal with the cobbles.
GeoStrata was originally - and if this transfer happens, will once again be - all about the rock.

QuantumBlade

Jul 29, 2019
I think merging the crystals with dye trees makes complete sense.
Also, I'd love to see what you'd do with a magic mod, especially considering the currently implemented things you have suggest such a mod would have a more-exploring-less-guis-and-researching theme.

belgabor

Jul 29, 2019
Suggestion: make it a realistic magic mod, lots of really expensive items available mostly through NPC trade that do absolutely nothing :p