Future of GeoStrata and DyeTrees

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Should I move the magic-like content from GeoStrata to DyeTrees, and rename DyeTrees?

• Total voters

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I like the rocks and crystals.. Not so much the trees. The colors are a bit too... solid I guess, and don't serve any real utility just using vanilla woods. If the different color trees were different breeds with purpose, a la forestry, or new wood colors, sure. Would be cool.

Do whatever makes you happy in the end though, I play with GeoStrata and without dye trees at the moment. if you move crystals to Dye Trees, I'll just use the trees. :p

I do love the idea of another big name magic mod though, and I do love your work.

Maybe I just need a texture pack to make the trees seem a bit less saturated. ;)

edit~

ChromatiCraft has a nice ring to it lol
That is an interesting idea, making the trees into different species.

And ChromatiCraft it is.

Wraithflay

Jul 29, 2019
No vote due to conflicting thoughts, but others are welcome to parse and interpret as they feel the desire to do so. I am presently not so fond of DyeTrees explicitly because my near-fossilized computer is absolutely destroyed any time I so much as look near the dye tree biome. Now certainly it can be disabled in the config, but in most cases I'd simply rather not deal with it. I like the idea of it, but it just never quite seems to work for my current goals, or feels overpowered in conjunction with other mods (looking at you TiC, and for what it's worth looking to remove TiC... except I want the advanced drawbridges of mechworks, bah).

With GeoStrata, I honestly make significantly more use of the stones proper for aesthetic purposes, rather than the crystals. I do like the crystals, but find most of them largely useless for my purposes. On the other hand, the xp crystals make great decorations around my enchanting tables, while the regeneration and saturation crystals are my bestest buddies while trying to get started in Blood Magic. That said, it wouldn't take a visitor to my dwarven fortress much time to notice just how much GeoStrata stone gets used down there. My only gripe has ever been the lack of things like slabs and stairs, but I find ways around it with other materials of similar hue (using an outdated version, so apologies if those are now available).

How does this relate to splitting off the crystals? Well, do as you favour Reika, but you'd need to make ChromatiCraft very tempting indeed to forgo my current dislike of the DyeTrees implementation. Considering your usual modus operandi I probably will find it very tempting, but that's my thoughts on the matter regardless!

Best of luck with ChromatiCraft as it evolves though, I'm always interested in seeing how a mod progresses when it's of a magical nature (despite how few of them I tend to use).

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
No vote due to conflicting thoughts, but others are welcome to parse and interpret as they feel the desire to do so. I am presently not so fond of DyeTrees explicitly because my near-fossilized computer is absolutely destroyed any time I so much as look near the dye tree biome. Now certainly it can be disabled in the config, but in most cases I'd simply rather not deal with it. I like the idea of it, but it just never quite seems to work for my current goals, or feels overpowered in conjunction with other mods (looking at you TiC, and for what it's worth looking to remove TiC... except I want the advanced drawbridges of mechworks, bah).

With GeoStrata, I honestly make significantly more use of the stones proper for aesthetic purposes, rather than the crystals. I do like the crystals, but find most of them largely useless for my purposes. On the other hand, the xp crystals make great decorations around my enchanting tables, while the regeneration and saturation crystals are my bestest buddies while trying to get started in Blood Magic. That said, it wouldn't take a visitor to my dwarven fortress much time to notice just how much GeoStrata stone gets used down there. My only gripe has ever been the lack of things like slabs and stairs, but I find ways around it with other materials of similar hue (using an outdated version, so apologies if those are now available).

How does this relate to splitting off the crystals? Well, do as you favour Reika, but you'd need to make ChromatiCraft very tempting indeed to forgo my current dislike of the DyeTrees implementation. Considering your usual modus operandi I probably will find it very tempting, but that's my thoughts on the matter regardless!

Best of luck with ChromatiCraft as it evolves though, I'm always interested in seeing how a mod progresses when it's of a magical nature (despite how few of them I tend to use).
What if the trees became an integral part of the magic?

Wraithflay

Jul 29, 2019
What if the trees became an integral part of the magic?

Well, it really just comes down to how hard it hits my computer really. I suspect it's the large number of entities that spawn in DyeForests that is the culprit for my framerate hits when I look in that direction. I'll use the mod if I can, but if my computer can't run it then it's out of my hands regardless. I like that they're a good place to go if I need dyes or coloured wool, but there's just so much stuff in there that my aging system can't handle it. Add that when I get the biome to spawn it often spawns over quite a large area, I'm left with a crippled gameplay session unfortunately. I optimize as far as I can on my video settings, but I'll cut every corner I can when it comes to removing animations, entities, and anything else that actively creates a laggy situation.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Y'know, now that I think about it, uh, @Reika I've been putting off this bug report for too long, but the Dye tree Dyes(the ones you get if the dye tree chance for getting a vanilla dye isn't 100%) have no use as a actual dye(so trying to combine them with wool gets you nothing, and they can neither mix with other dyes or themselves), and unless a dye block can be broken into dyes by breaking it with a tool of some kind, then those can't be uncrafted at all.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Y'know, now that I think about it, uh, @Reika I've been putting off this bug report for too long, but the Dye tree Dyes(the ones you get if the dye tree chance for getting a vanilla dye isn't 100%) have no use as a actual dye(so trying to combine them with wool gets you nothing, and they can neither mix with other dyes or themselves), and unless a dye block can be broken into dyes by breaking it with a tool of some kind, then those can't be uncrafted at all.
I will fix the dye uses, and yes, the blocks break into dye.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
As long as you do not know how fast he is going. :D
ca1.jpg

Tangpau

Jul 29, 2019
I think if you do add more magic content, you MUST make sure it seems unique enough to not be yet another alternative to one of the other major magic mods everyone plays.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I think if you do add more magic content, you MUST make sure it seems unique enough to not be yet another alternative to one of the other major magic mods everyone plays.
I think the fact it will be more exploration and less "GUIs and researching", plus the focus on friendly magic over hostile magic, will do that.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Honestly, I'd have said move the stone in with the trees and leave the crystals as a stand-alone mod. The multi-colored stone and trees fit better together, while the crystals don't quite fit in with either specifically. Chromaticraft is a fantastic name for a mod with a wide variety of colors.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Honestly, I'd have said move the stone in with the trees and leave the crystals as a stand-alone mod. The multi-colored stone and trees fit better together, while the crystals don't quite fit in with either specifically. Chromaticraft is a fantastic name for a mod with a wide variety of colors.
The stone is not dye-colored; the crystals and trees are.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Yes, but I was suggesting putting the stone and trees under Chromaticraft, and leaving the crystals as Geostrata.