Future of GeoStrata and DyeTrees

Should I move the magic-like content from GeoStrata to DyeTrees, and rename DyeTrees?

• Total voters

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I am toying with an idea for 1.7:
Both DyeTrees and GeoStrata have been drifting away from their roots and towards more "magical" properties. Would it be a good idea to move the crystals, plants, and guardian stone from GeoStrata to DyeTrees, and rename that mod into a more magic-like name? This leaves GeoStrata as it originally was when I first created it, with only the stone, and it would silence all those people complaining about wanting either the rock or the crystals removed from GeoStrata.

This would also open the door for the DyeTrees replacement to evolve into an actual magic mod as some people have suggested.

Edit and clarifications:
  • Splitting the magic into a third mod is not an option. I do not want another mod to manage, and it will only complicate matters. Additionally, the crystals are not standalone; they are required for what is now half of GeoStrata content.
  • If I do split the mods, there will not be a config to disable parts of the mod. This is mainly because those parts will eventually become required for other parts as the mod develops a true "magic tree".

Last edited:

Vasa

Jul 29, 2019
If you move crystals to DyeTrees and leave it simple ,as it is now, that would be cool.
But if you think moving crystals to DyeTrees and adding more magical content that would not be cool.
We already have enough magical mods on modding scene. ;)

SinisterBro :3

Jul 29, 2019
Well, how about a magical mod that isnt like researching or progression but more exploring and utlities? (I mean Dyetrees+the gems arent really progressed in researching. Luckily)

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
I am toying with an idea for 1.7:
Both DyeTrees and GeoStrata have been drifting away from their roots and towards more "magical" properties. Would it be a good idea to move the crystals, plants, and guardian stone from GeoStrata to DyeTrees, and rename that mod into a more magic-like name? This leaves GeoStrata as it originally was when I first created it, with only the stone, and it would silence all those people complaining about wanting either the rock or the crystals removed from GeoStrata.

This would also open the door for the DyeTrees replacement to evolve into an actual magic mod as some people have suggested.

Voted "No opinion." It's your mod. If you feel that certain content doesn't fit with what you want for a mod, then do whatever you see fit to do with it. So long as we still get the content, odds are we'll all be pretty happy with it. For the few that aren't happy with it, KurShedir stated it pretty well.

Config file

Qazplm601

Lord of the Tumbleweeds
Sep 21, 2013
Where else?
i think a config for disabling the trees or crystals would be the same as the kerfluffle about disabling geostratas stone types.

Reactions: Padfoote

CreepaCatcha

Jul 29, 2019
I like this idea, I honestly haven't played with either of these mods but I must give them a try...
I voted for yes and rename

SynfulChaot

Jul 29, 2019
You might run into the same problem by moving the crystals to DyeTrees that you have in GeoStrata. Some people may only want the crystals and not the trees as well. I love GeoStrata for both the stone and the crystals, yet I have no interest in anything DyeTrees gives directly. Unless there is a config to only run the crystals if you move them to DyeTrees then the same problem may persist.

Perhaps make a clean split and move the GeoStrata crystals to their own unique mod?

If the new DyeTrees will now contain the crystals and become a more all-inclusive magic mod, will there be potential configs to enable just the features you want as the magic types (crystals vs trees) are quite different?

Last edited:

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Its like ArsMagica,Thaumcraft(+addons),Withchery,BloodMagic vs all . :D

Buildcraft (+add ons), IC2 (+ add ons), Forestry (+ add ons), Railcraft, Steves Carts, Thermal Expansion (+ add on), MFR, Rotarycraft, Big reactors ect...

To answer the OP; personally I'd go for keeping Geostrata with just the rock types, and develop the crystals/trees into a magic mod.
(ultimately its your design decision; go with what you'll enjoy the most)

Reactions: Padfoote

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Moving the crystals over to Dyetrees only causes the problem of "How do I remove the trees but keep the crystals?". I love the rocks, but really don't like the trees personally. Wouldn't it be better to have Geostrata be rocks, Dyetrees be dyed trees and then have all the magical stuff in a separate mod?

IMO no matter which mod you tack the magical stuff onto, you will still have the problem of people not wanting the core mod but wanting the magic stuff. Specially as both Geostrata and Dyetrees have such significant changes to the world, so its not like you can just ignore that part of the mod if you wanted to.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Moving the crystals over to Dyetrees only causes the problem of "How do I remove the trees but keep the crystals?". I love the rocks, but really don't like the trees personally. Wouldn't it be better to have Geostrata be rocks, Dyetrees be dyed trees and then have all the magical stuff in a separate mod?

IMO no matter which mod you tack the magical stuff onto, you will still have the problem of people not wanting the core mod but wanting the magic stuff. Specially as both Geostrata and Dyetrees have such significant changes to the world, so its not like you can just ignore that part of the mod if you wanted to.
...? Dye Trees can have the Biome Disabled, for one. As an odd sidenote, you can also disable the trees spawning outside of that biome. Unless @Reika caught this catch22 and made a way to disable both impossible(which would be lame since the biome is still a valid biome for Mystcraft), then you could use only the crystals and have the biome only show up occasionally via Mystcraft.

I'd love to be able to disable the overworld generation of the Ender Forest as well, not because it's boring or lame(it's actually a cool biome yet decent to live in with a side effect of ENDER LAKES AND ENDERMEN EVERYWHERE), I'd still rather it be a Mystcraft page only.

EDIT: Actually, why not spilt the crystals from GeoStrata and keep them out of whatever you do with Rainbow Forest? This leads to an even easier solution; like one half yet don't want the other? Download only the half you want.

Also since the default configs are almost never changed(or even recognized that they can be changed), splitting those two before you merge them prevents people complaining about things that they can easily tweak to their liking.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
...? Dye Trees can have the Biome Disabled, for one. As an odd sidenote, you can also disable the trees spawning outside of that biome. Unless @Reika caught this catch22 and made a way to disable both impossible(which would be lame since the biome is still a valid biome for Mystcraft), then you could use only the crystals and have the biome only show up occasionally via Mystcraft.

I'd love to be able to disable the overworld generation of the Ender Forest as well, not because it's boring or lame(it's actually a cool biome yet decent to live in with a side effect of ENDER LAKES AND ENDERMEN EVERYWHERE), I'd still rather it be a Mystcraft page only.

EDIT: Actually, why not spilt the crystals from GeoStrata and keep them out of whatever you do with Rainbow Forest? This leads to an even easier solution; like one half yet don't want the other? Download only the half you want.

Also since the default configs are almost never changed(or even recognized that they can be changed), splitting those two before you merge them prevents people complaining about things that they can easily tweak to their liking.
My point is that I dont want dye trees. Not in or outside their biomes(sorry Reika, I just prefer my different coloured trees to be different breeds of trees) and not in mystcraft worlds. So if the whole magic thing was moved over to dyetrees, I would have to disable the entire core of the mod and neither me nor Reika want that(he stated that several times with Geostrata).

My point is that due to their very preferential nature and somewhat large world changes, maybe Geostrata and Dyetrees should be treated like addons(or small standalone mods) and maybe the magic part should be the core mod? We all like those little things that we can craft and if we don't like a few of them we can just ignore those items and not craft them. But we cant ignore large world changes if they are part of the core of the mod and what we want is a little thing that is added on.

John.E

Dec 18, 2013
Doral, FL
I personally like both the crystals and stone from geostrata but I still voted to have the crystals moved. I love Geostrata for the building materials that it provides (even if it does fill up your inventory quite rapidly) but the Crystals seem more of a Magic type artifact, and seem to me to fit better with the Rainbow/Dye trees.

Reactions: Sinthoras

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
We already have enough magical mods on modding scene. ;)

How on Earth is more magic mods a bad thing? I don't understand. These mods already exist in one form, in fact two. This two will become one magic mod and one stone mod, this is less magic mods in total.

The thing that I really don't understand is your bias against magic mods. If there were new tech mods on the scene would you object?

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
How on Earth is more magic mods a bad thing? I don't understand. These mods already exist in one form, in fact two. This two will become one magic mod and one stone mod, this is less magic mods in total.

The thing that I really don't understand is your bias against magic mods. If there were new tech mods on the scene would you object?
There simply is not enough big name magic mods. But smaller, more "HAY I JUST LEARNED JAVA CHECK OUT MY COOL MOD" magic mods are a dime a billion. If Vasa means we need less of those, oh totally, I agree. If he means we need less period, yeah, no. But hark, what's this? A winking emote in his post? By Jove! He must be being sarcastic!

Reactions: Vasa and fleutius

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
There simply is not enough big name magic mods. But smaller, more "HAY I JUST LEARNED JAVA CHECK OUT MY COOL MOD" magic mods are a dime a billion. If Vasa means we need less of those, oh totally, I agree. If he means we need less period, yeah, no. But hark, what's this? A winking emote in his post? By Jove! He must be being sarcastic!

Everyone knows that sarcasm on the internet is only ever expressed through this symbol
14-04.jpg