Future of GeoStrata and DyeTrees

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Should I move the magic-like content from GeoStrata to DyeTrees, and rename DyeTrees?

• Total voters

Zero5211

Jul 29, 2019
I just had a question about how easily obtainable the crystals are. I think that while the regular ones that spawn in the world are fine, even if you silk touch them away, the potion crystals and newly added crystal pendants are too cheap. To get similar effects in vanilla Minecraft, you have to have a nether star for a beacon and a pyramid of metal or gem blocks, while a potion crystal that gives a tier 3 effect for 5 minutes only needs obsidian, gold, glowstone, a bit of redstone, and some of the shards of the desired crystal. Then carrying a portable tier 4 effect that never wears out only needs a diamond, a bit of glowstone, ender pearls, nether quartz, and the potion crystal. Are you trying to follow vanilla standards, or make your own?

SinisterBro :3

Jul 29, 2019
I just had a question about how easily obtainable the crystals are. I think that while the regular ones that spawn in the world are fine, even if you silk touch them away, the potion crystals and newly added crystal pendants are too cheap. To get similar effects in vanilla Minecraft, you have to have a nether star for a beacon and a pyramid of metal or gem blocks, while a potion crystal that gives a tier 3 effect for 5 minutes only needs obsidian, gold, glowstone, a bit of redstone, and some of the shards of the desired crystal. Then carrying a portable tier 4 effect that never wears out only needs a diamond, a bit of glowstone, ender pearls, nether quartz, and the potion crystal. Are you trying to follow vanilla standards, or make your own?

I think you just awnsered your own question.

Reactions: YX33A

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
My thoughts:

I liked the idea of Geostrata. But as I looked around, the deposits looked like vanilla ore blobs, scattered more-or-less randomly, with no real sense of reason visible.

In comparison, underground biomes behaves very differently -- using the new version to make a "large underground biome", the behavior of UB to give primarily one stone in a very large area, with good-sized layers of additional stuff, is very clear, and stands out significantly from the "scattered, random blobs" that I see in Geostrata -- enough that I'll probably use UB instead of GS. (EDIT: asking my players on the 164 test servers, only one other person expressed an opinion, and they agreed with me).

But the colored trees? The rainbow biomes?

I think the colored trees are too frequent; I don't want rainbow biomes in the overworld, but I do want them in mystcraft. I may very well use the "only spawn in biomes, disable the biome, find it in ages" technique.

But the crystals? The magic?

When you get to the heart, I'm more likely to want the trees, and NOT the stone nor the crystals, and I don't see any real use for the magic (we have no Thaumcraft taint to counter). But if the rainbow biome is in ages, then the instability fighting feature figures to be fun.

So, perhaps a better question: Instead of splitting the magic stuff into dyetrees, why not split the magic stuff into Geostrata?

===

I don't think that the crystals are inherently OP. I think that the difficulty of finding them in the nether is perfect, and that we determined that they will generate too much in an ATG overworld (gravel beach primarily). I can strip them from the overworld (COG), just not sure that I want them in my server at all.

(Currently reading the whole thread, just read page 1.)

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Mostly. It detects if you did both and makes the saplings craftable and drop from vanilla leaves.
OUCH.

Additionally, the crystals are not standalone; they are required for what is now half of GeoStrata content.
Then it sounds like you need to move the magic into Geostrata, otherwise you would need magic trees for geostrata (unless I'm seriously misunderstanding something, which is possible.)

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
OUCH.

Then it sounds like you need to move the magic into Geostrata, otherwise you would need magic trees for geostrata (unless I'm seriously misunderstanding something, which is possible.)
Both the magic crystals and the dye trees are going to be ported to a NEW mod, and dye trees(AFAIK) will stop being updated once this new Magic mod by Reika is released. Technically the crystals are being placed into Dye Trees and the Dye Trees mod is being renamed, but it's easier to explain this way.

Unless Reika has changed his plans on this or something.

And the dye tree adaptation to the biome being disable and the trees being disabled is actually really smart. Not ideal for only having them in Mystcraft Ages with a vanilla world... but with ATG, it's easy enough to do. Actually it's simple, leave the biome enabled in Dye Trees, disable the trees from spawning outside of that biome, and use ATG to disable that biome in it's world type.

Unless the disabling of the spawning outside of their biome is what allows for this stuff, in which case, balls.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I am somewhat irritated about how this got completely sidetracked onto the balance of the two mods. This is not my concern in this thread nor is it constructive.

And no, I will not be porting the content in DyeTrees into GeoStrata. That makes little to no sense.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019

And no, I will not be porting the content in DyeTrees into GeoStrata. That makes little to no sense.

I wouldn't think that moving DyeTree content into GeoStrata would be the goal.

DyeTree, as I understand it, gives you the following:
1. Alternate ways to farm vanilla dyes. In particular, red and yellow. Brings a feature that exists in 1.7 back to 1.6.
2. Additional ways to fight Thaumcraft taint.
3. Additional ways to counter Mystcraft instability.
4. A way to play "mostly peaceful" without being 100% peaceful.

1-3 I like. 4 I dislike, and can avoid. Well, sort-of. The "I'll drop from vanilla leaves and not let you turn this off"? ... Hmm, is there a "frequency of spawn in vanilla biomes" setting ...
Code:
  I:"Dye Tree Density in Normal Biomes"=2
... only cut it in half down to 1?

None of that has anything to do with GeoStrata.

What I do not understand is why move additional stuff into DyeTrees, and make it "magic", without a way to disable that? I mean, it's like saying that the mod will grow, and get bigger, but you can't download just the portion of it you want.

I would be pissed if I had to download a massive file (at 0.01 MB/s) just for one subsection.

Now, in fairness, the little part I removed:
Everything to do with the crystals works off of the dye color palette, much as DyeTrees does. It could become one coherent (colorful) mod.

While a "Color Magic" mod might be workable -- given what you've done so far, it's very possible that you can make it work -- it's not what I want.

Will it be possible to use DyeTrees v20 without magic even if DragonAPI etc. continue to update past 25, 30, etc?

kathars1s

Apr 5, 2013
I like the rocks and crystals.. Not so much the trees. The colors are a bit too... solid I guess, and don't serve any real utility just using vanilla woods. If the different color trees were different breeds with purpose, a la forestry, or new wood colors, sure. Would be cool.

Do whatever makes you happy in the end though, I play with GeoStrata and without dye trees at the moment. if you move crystals to Dye Trees, I'll just use the trees. :p

I do love the idea of another big name magic mod though, and I do love your work.

Maybe I just need a texture pack to make the trees seem a bit less saturated. ;)

edit~

ChromatiCraft has a nice ring to it lol

Last edited: