FTB Monster mod pack listed - What do you think?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
I agree with morph, but i'd like to add in hats. Hats are fun!

EDIT

Also, are zombie pigmen attacking for ALL ores in the nether now? Had a M8 just get raped for mining what he thought was nether quartz.....

They seem to randomly trigger for no apparent reason sometimes.

lcd

Jul 29, 2019
Are you using ATG for your terrain generation?

I picked ATG when I generated the world, I'll try a normal world and see if the problem persists just for laughs

@Tyrindor My computer is somewhat newish I guess (2600k, GTX680, 8GB memory), FTB and everything along with it is on an SSD so I'm not so sure about it being a PC issue but who knows

Edit, loaded up a normal world and just dug, got about half durability on a diamond pick and not once did any blocks reappear, bags open instantly and GUIs open instantly...I loaded a new ATG world and did the same, it doesn't really seem to be happening on that world...I guess I'll start a new world

Edit2, Seems like a memory issue now that I look at the task manager, 2.8gig when I have 3gb allocated for FTB, chunk updates are constantly switching between 40, 100, 240, 255 while stationary in a 10 minute old world

Actually, bumped it up to 5 and 6gb, and the blocks still reappear...out of ideas

Last edited:

xbony2

WikiWorker
Wiki Staff
FTB Mod Dev
Jul 3, 2013
America
ftb.gamepedia.com
The amount of world gen is excessive in my opinion, if you fly around in creative mode.

I'm not so impressed. There's a lot of mods that don't add anything to the table, that seem to be junking up the pack IMO.

KyleKrafter

Jul 29, 2019
Uh, they're not even close to the same thing, and there are plenty of reasons to have both of those mods in the same pack. On top of that I'd take Dartrcraft over TiC every day of the week, it does much, much more.

I have to assume you've never used one of those two mods if you think there is much overlap between them.

Tell me about force pack equivalents in TiC?

Tell me about force rod equivalents in TiC?

Tell me about force grinder equivalents in TiC?

Tell me about force mitt equivalents in TiC?

Tell me how you can build mob spawners with TiC?

Tell me how you generate power with TiC?

Tell me how you grow trees with TiC?

Tell me how you fly with TiC?

Tell me about TiC item transport?

Tell me about TiC crafting?

Tell me about TiC mob handling/moving?

This list goes on for quite awhile.

Let's pretend that both mods do exactly the same thing, your argument would still be invalid because there are lots of mods that do the same thing and still coexist in FTB packs.

Its not even that fact that there might be similarities. The fact of it is. The way this is getting put together. In my opinion, they want a challenge. And what dartcraft offers is not anywhere close to being challenging. It offers to many easy options. That mostly all other mods don't do, and if they do. It takes a good amount of crafting and resources to obtain certain abilities. That would allow you to....i.e..move a spawner. Instead of just building the force wrench from dartcraft...which is really easy.

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
Its not even that fact that there might be similarities. The fact of it is. The way this is getting put together. In my opinion, they want a challenge. And what dartcraft offers is not anywhere close to being challenging. It offers to many easy options. That mostly all other mods don't do, and if they do. It takes a good amount of crafting and resources to obtain certain abilities. That would allow you to....i.e..move a spawner. Instead of just building the force wrench from dartcraft...which is really easy.

...and you're another person who hasn't played recent versions of dartcraft. Another person who is talking from an outdated perspective. There are very few things that Dartcraft does better than any other mod out there. There are a number of interesting/cool/entertaining things it does that few or no other mods do.

There is nothing in Monster that points to it being a "challenging" pack, or any intention of being so. Mystcraft doesn't belong in any pack that wants to be "challenging". MFR doesn't belong in any pack that wants to be "challenging". I could go on and on listing mods that primarily reduce challenge, not increase it.

If you don't like the Force Wrench then don't use it. If you think you should not be able to pick up a chest just like you would in the real world then go ahead and continue breaking them so that all the items fly out then moving the chest and then putting all the items back in---because that is such an amazing challenge, lol. Continue ignoring that most of what is done with a force wrench can be done with a portal gun/grav gun. Continue ignoring that it primarily reduces tedium, not challenge.

Don't confuse tedium for challenge. The only thing it challenges is your ability to maintain interest in drudgery.

Last edited:

un worry

Jul 29, 2019
Aaaaaand, moving right along .... :rolleyes:

Back on topic, I have played around with Monster for a week and trimmed the pack down to 111 mods loaded for SSP.

• Dropped BetterStorage and Backpacks for IronChests (and will use TE strongboxes out and about until I get bees going and forestry backpacks)
  • Dropped Natura,TiC and MPS - going with vanilla enchanted armour for a challenge and added EnchantView to allow myself one optional retry per piece.
  • FZ over Jabba - may add it in later.
  • Dropped Reikas mods, mimicry, emashers, morpheus, reliquary, revamp, agriculture, mariculture, denos and all HUDs bar Zans
Once out of beta, my plan is to get a new world established with a reasonable base - yay, Chisel - then by mid-game look to add in either of Reika or GT and explore for some new worldgen.

The universal configs are excellent. So how is everyone else getting on?

noah_wolfe

Jul 29, 2019
So how is everyone else getting on?

[edit: block lag only seen with Mariculture + ATG, either by themselves present no symptoms on my new maps]

Advanced Genetics was one of my first goals, and it's pretty nice. The power requirements are low - a full compliment of (inexpensive) DNA machines runs fine on 2 dynamos. Full creative flight was randomly easy - I received the flight gene off my first bat cell. I noticed while analyzing a couple of dozen subsequent bat cells for the 28 basic genes required for state cost that it was semi-rare. The process was a bit grindy (gathering basic genes) but straightforward. I'm not sure how I feel about having lava immunity and creative flight before I have even gathered any major resources, but it is a more satisfying option than morph.

I enabled MeteorCraft and expected chaos - but it turned out fine. Every now and then a random non-world destroying meteor deposited a nice chunk of shiny ore loot around my base. Then, holy shitstorm. It rained ore blocks for several minutes - again, not destroying anything, but not everyone is going to like the yard cleanup. I do, because .. ooh shiny!

Roguelike is ok. Currently using one of the towers as a starter base. The loot run to the bottom of that tower was decidedly 'meh', but access to a full enchanting table / brewing setup is nice. Two vanilla things I really don't enjoy setting up. If the loot table on those chests was the same as the TC chests -wheee! Might be a bit too easy though.

Looking forward to Engineer's, Rotary and Mariculture progress - among my favorite of the new(er) mods.

Last edited:

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
Some posts have disappeared. They shall not return. When somebody is acting out of line, the correct response is to (a) Report them (b) not engage them further. Turning it into an argument inside the thread is what makes us have to start mass-deleting and/or closing threads that get "too hot", depending on how far it ends up going.

That's all. Back on topic.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
I had the unfortunate ATG recurring lag spikes beta day 1 and disabled it (not a "get a better PC / config your java" issue by any means), hopefully that gets cleared up because the gen was amazing. Nothing else added or subtracted.

Advanced Genetics was one of my first goals, and it's pretty nice. The power requirements are low - a full compliment of (inexpensive) DNA machines runs fine on 2 dynamos. Full creative flight was randomly easy - I received the flight gene off my first bat cell. I noticed while analyzing a couple of dozen subsequent bat cells for the 28 basic genes required for state cost that it was semi-rare. The process was a bit grindy (gathering basic genes) but straightforward. I'm not sure how I feel about having lava immunity and creative flight before I have even gathered any major resources, but it is a more satisfying option than morph.

I enabled MeteorCraft and expected chaos - but it turned out fine. Every now and then a random non-world destroying meteor deposited a nice chunk of shiny ore loot around my base. Then, holy shitstorm. It rained ore blocks for several minutes - again, not destroying anything, but not everyone is going to like the yard cleanup. I do, because .. ooh shiny!

Roguelike is ok. Currently using one of the towers as a starter base. The loot run to the bottom of that tower was decidedly 'meh', but access to a full enchanting table / brewing setup is nice. Two vanilla things I really don't enjoy setting up. If the loot table on those chests was the same as the TC chests -wheee! Might be a bit too easy though.

Looking forward to Engineer's, Rotary and Mariculture progress - among my favorite of the new(er) mods.
I was having issues with regards to lag spike too, but in my case, removing Mariculture helps and I still do have ATG in my pack.

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk

noah_wolfe

Jul 29, 2019
I was having issues with regards to lag spike too, but in my case, removing Mariculture helps and I still do have ATG in my pack.

This is interesting, so I did a small test. New worlds genned for each below:

1. Full pack with ATG gen (random block lag / spikes)
  2. Minus ATG, used BoP gen (fine)
  3. Minus Mariculture, used ATG gen (fine, as Pierce indicates above)
  4. Disable every mod but ATG, Mariculture, NEI (random block lag / spikes)

Only an observational conclusion, but there seems to be an odd conflict with ATG and Mariculture together. Either are fine in the absence of the other.

Last edited:

noah_wolfe

Jul 29, 2019
It's Mariculture.

What's Mariculture? If you mean the cause of the random lag (very specific symptom), it only happens with ATG gen (in my maps) as I've outlined above. I've got almost a week on a Monster BoP map with no performance issues at all, jetting across the ocean in my fancy Mari speedboat.

It may very well be that Joshie's updates remedy this, but the issue we were discussing is specific to the interaction between the two in the current version.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
What's Mariculture? If you mean the cause of the random lag (very specific symptom), it only happens with ATG gen (in my maps) as I've outlined above. I've got almost a week on a Monster BoP map with no performance issues at all, jetting across the ocean in my fancy Mari speedboat.

It may very well be that Joshie's updates remedy this, but the issue we were discussing is specific to the interaction between the two in the current version.

yeah i was blaming ATG as well, but removing mariculture cleared up all kinds of problems i was having. it does sound like a "one or the other" type deal, so i guess it depends on what your fancy is.

if boats are your draw, and you're doing a land map, smallboats? one multi-passenger, two with cargoholds

Reactions: Mjw and noah_wolfe

noah_wolfe

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for that link - I've always felt boat mods were in short supply. I honestly wouldn't mind a complex ocean-focused mod with a long tech-tree. Dry docks, submarines, canal builders, perhaps modular construction like Steve's Carts, multiblocks, all the things.

un worry

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for that link - I've always felt boat mods were in short supply. I honestly wouldn't mind a complex ocean-focused mod with a long tech-tree. Dry docks, submarines, canal builders, perhaps modular construction like Steve's Carts, multiblocks, all the things.

My friends server play with the SmallBoats mod
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1599100-wip-small-boats-elegant-punt-whitehall/

With so much of the world ocean, this makes exploration a lot more fun. Has onboard chests, sails that automatically rise as you pick up speed, the boats heel with the "wind", the boom swings ... and they comes in three sizes. The largest ship allows multiple players on board.

0r6n.png

The Punt, the Whitehall and the largest ship The Hoy - which has a two block deep draft, so we had to build a working harbour and docks. And they don't break easily - I so hate picking up sticks. So give it a punt ;)

Last edited:

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019

as midi said, it seems like a 1 or the other type mod.

ScorpioOld

Jul 29, 2019
I really like the mess with power system between the mods:) This is absolutely amusing! Half day of straggling with explosive pipes led to unexpected result. To supply power for complete base including all machines from RC one needs only 1 (one)!!! Hydrokinectic engine! I needed 240 dynamos from TE and now I can use one Hydroinectic engine for all. Fanstastic.

Boosted98gsx

Jul 29, 2019
I think this modpack desperately needs gravi suite, and the gravity gun mod.

I really like the mess with power system between the mods:) This is absolutely amusing! Half day of straggling with explosive pipes led to unexpected result. To supply power for complete base including all machines from RC one needs only 1 (one)!!! Hydrokinectic engine! I needed 240 dynamos from TE and now I can use one Hydroinectic engine for all. Fanstastic.

Can you screenshot or give some kind of overview of how you set things up?

Last edited: