FTB Monster mod pack listed - What do you think?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

trajano080

Jul 29, 2019
They should bring Advanced Machines and Advanced Solar Panels back. I know we already have CompactSolars but some people prefer Advanced Solars so why not have both?

lcd

Jul 29, 2019
I like the pack except for when I'm down mining or opening a backpack or opening a machine GUI or trying to kill mobs, the pack seems to think I'm playing on a server located on the planet Mars even though I'm playing single player so while mining, every ~30 seconds half of what I mine doesn't drop and the blocks just reappear, 5 seconds to open a backpack, 4-5 seconds to open a machine GUI

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
I like the pack except for when I'm down mining or opening a backpack or opening a machine GUI or trying to kill mobs, the pack seems to think I'm playing on a server located on the planet Mars even though I'm playing single player so while mining, every ~30 seconds half of what I mine doesn't drop and the blocks just reappear, 5 seconds to open a backpack, 4-5 seconds to open a machine GUI

That is what's known as lag.

verid

Jul 29, 2019

Are you using ATG for your terrain generation?

Tyrindor

Jul 29, 2019

If you're experiencing that on singleplayer then Monster may not be the best bet for your computer unless you upgrade. If you are using ATG generation, I believe it increases requirements dramatically, but you have to specify to use ATG by default.

nefentari

Jul 29, 2019
Which mods are you most looking forward to playing? The new Thaumcraft.
Which ones will you disable? Rei's minimap because I'm using Zan's and Opis. But apart from that none, since I like playing with many mods and my PC is able to handle it. :p
Will you add any to the pack? I'd like to add/play on a server with Advanced Solar Panels, Advanced Machines, DartCraft, GravitySuite, Gravity Gun, Morph, Soul Shards (if it's stable).

Reactions: Boosted98gsx

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
To be honest (not pointing at PR .. just a general observation), my server seems to be running much happier with Monster when comparing it to the latest DW20 pack.

Morph is creating all sorts of mess with mobs and crashes.

un worry

Jul 29, 2019
If you're experiencing that on singleplayer then Monster may not be the best bet for your computer unless you upgrade. If you are using ATG generation, I believe it increases requirements dramatically, but you have to specify to use ATG by default.

I'm playing about with Monster and ATG on a 32-bit OS. Generation of new chunks is much slower than what I'm used to, but once your inital world (and immediate surroundings) loads in, exploration on foot seems fine.

The smoother contours of ATG is quite different to normal MC worldgen - and the logical transition of biomes is great.
2013-12-27_08.46.27.png
For example, here's a map with biome overlay.
The shoreline has a border of Swampland, with stands of Woodland transitioning through Shrubland to Plains - following the shape of the topology. It looks and feels just right :)

Last edited:

Tyrindor

Jul 29, 2019
Any clue as to why Project Red didn't make the cut on this one?

The other packs with PR are experiencing crash issues and are waiting for an update to fix them. I can only assume after that patch arrives it will be added to Monster.

IMO, it's really the only "must have" mod missing from the pack.

I'm playing about with Monster and ATG on a 32-bit OS. Generation of new chunks is much slower than what I'm used to, but once your inital world (and immediate surroundings) loads in, exploration on foot seems fine.

The smoother contours of ATG is quite different to normal MC worldgen - and the logical transition of biomes makes for a good feel. (on a massive island, with swampland shores, transitioning thru shrubland to plains plateau. It just looks right)

I agree, ATG is awesome and I would never play without it anymore. After I enabled BOP (changed to have all biomes enabled) it just looks so realistic and diverse now. I actually hate BOP by itself, usually disabled a good 70% of the biomes due to how odd and jarring the biome changes were from one to the next. ATG fixes that right up and I don't feel like I need to disable any biomes anymore. The fact it blends biomes based on their temp is incredible. No more jungles right next to deserts, or forests right next to a wasteland.

What's even more awesome is the fact I created 3 test worlds and found a desert Biome in each of them within 30 minutes. I know that use to be a huge problem, but it appears to be better now. Maybe I just got lucky, but I think there are alternatives to cactus in BOP.

Luckily my computer can handle it all with no problems, I seem to render "Far" nearly instantly, and i'm running a 128x texture pack to boot. 60FPS wherever I go... :)

By the way, Emeralds are suppose to spawn in some BOP biomes but I haven't been able to find any yet. I hear ATG + BOP might affect this, has anyone found any with both enabled?

Last edited:

tedyhere

Jul 29, 2019
I like these mod-packs ... shame they crash out when searching for an item :(
Sounds like you need to adjust your memory or perm gen to a higher setting say... 3GB[DOUBLEPOST=1388095574][/DOUBLEPOST]
You need to increase your permgen size and probably allocate more RAM. Shouldn't happen... These packs do require a semi-decent computer.
Ninja'd! :eek:

Reactions: PierceSG

InThayne

Oct 14, 2013
How is ATG turned on? Its added to the mods in the launcher and the config looks like its set to do all kinda thangs but nuttin happens... Is it enabled somewheres else also?

Edit: Thx Tristam below, that was it!

Last edited:

Lathanael

Jul 29, 2019
I agree, ATG is awesome and I would never play without it anymore. After I enabled BOP (changed to have all biomes enabled) it just looks so realistic and diverse now. I actually hate BOP by itself, usually disabled a good 70% of the biomes due to how odd and jarring the biome changes were from one to the next. ATG fixes that right up and I don't feel like I need to disable any biomes anymore. The fact it blends biomes based on their temp is incredible. No more jungles right next to deserts, or forests right next to a wasteland.

Have to agree that BOP on its own is meh. With ATG it is a little bit better but i still don't like most of its biomes. Thats why i personally switch BOP out for Highlands (which recently got ATG support). The biomes and sub-biomes for me feel much better than EBXL and BOP.

FeedTheNoob

Jul 29, 2019
You need to increase your permgen size and probably allocate more RAM. Shouldn't happen... These packs do require a semi-decent computer.

Hehe... I do have a decent computer :) Im a noob when it comes to this.. care to tell me how to allocate more RAM? ... same goes for this permgen thing haha! Thanks!

Boosted98gsx

Jul 29, 2019
Which mods are you most looking forward to playing? The new Thaumcraft.
Which ones will you disable? Rei's minimap because I'm using Zan's and Opis. But apart from that none, since I like playing with many mods and my PC is able to handle it. :p
Will you add any to the pack? I'd like to add/play on a server with Advanced Solar Panels, Advanced Machines, DartCraft, GravitySuite, Gravity Gun, Morph, Soul Shards (if it's stable).

I agree with morph, but i'd like to add in hats. Hats are fun!

EDIT

Also, are zombie pigmen attacking for ALL ores in the nether now? Had a M8 just get molested for mining what he thought was nether quartz.....