FTB Monster mod pack listed - What do you think?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I myself also loaded it this morning but I changed my move keys. F is to go right but it doesnt work and it shows nothing is conflicting.... Am I missing something? I already checked the key assignments and nothing else is using that key..[DOUBLEPOST=1387898518][/DOUBLEPOST]And as for the mods. Getting thoughts of everyone is nice but lets face it,no one will ever build a pack that makes EVERYONE happy. There will always be people that think something is OP or cheaty or some other reason either it be positive or negative.

This pack is titled Monster... So make it one. Add EVERYTHING to it lol. If people dont like whats in it,then they can either disable it or not play it.

there may be some mods that add hotkeys through their configuration files, but not through the vanilla key configuration.
this might be the case here, if you've set a shortcut to F and it isn't red, but it doesn't work, there may be a mod assigning a hotkey to F outside the vanilla key configuration.

also, one thing I noticed about monster when I saw emasher's core and chisel both installed, they both install limestone, which is kind of useless as they're mostly just decorational blocks, so you might wish to disable one of the two
but after checking the configurations some more, geostrata seems to add limestone aswell, and also marble, which are also generated by chisel... the ore generation is mostly perfect outside basic components generating copper and tin aswell, but the stone generation still needs some extra configurations to prevent duplicated stone generations from happening

Casketman

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah I even moved the key to G and hit F and nothing happened so I dont know whats assigned...
I like how all the key assignments are grouped to their mod and not one long list. The 'conflicts' part of that list is also nice. But my issue doesnt show up there either. I hope I dont have to go into the files......

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
QuarryPlus, I never really liked this mod. the things that you can do with the quarry just seems a bit... too easy for me. it's a mod like compactsolars, it provides you a block so you won't have to spam other types of those blocks around. which is not bad, but I just hoped it'd be a bit... more awesome-looking instead of some simple outlines of the original block

If Buildcraft would make their quarry a bit smarter I wouldn't bother with QuarryPlus. The simple fact that QuarryPlus deals with liquids intelligently while Buildcraft does not means I'll always prefer QuarryPlus. It is doing what Buildcraft should have done long ago.

The first time you see QuarryPlus wall off a pool of liquid from the edge of the quarry using the orange quarry frame is glorious. Maybe I play too much minecraft?

Reactions: un worry

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
How is Minimaps cheating? I assume you think NEI and using the internet is cheating as well?

If you're genuinely interested-
Cheating [for me] is using some out of game context/solution to solve an ingame problem that has an ingame solution.
A classic example would be using an Xray hack to solve limited ores/resources.- cave diving and quarries would be the in-game solutions.

With minimaps, waypoints, ect you have a GPS giving your exact location based on an out of context system (coordinates on a debug screen), which is given freely from the start with absolutely no ingame cost or context.
In game solution? Vanilla maps aren't that useful, but the compass is brilliant for working out your location (this has an ingame cost, and takes a little skill), as well as building monuments/landmarks ect.
(If theres a mod that'll display the vanilla maps like a minimap or something similar I probably won't consider it cheating)
NEI recipes/Wiki pages somewhat break immersion- but apart from Tinkers and Thaumcraft there isn't an ingame solution to working out crafting recipes.
(you can't really test every crafting combination ingame, take the vanilla grid and 10 items- gives 1000000000 different combinations on that 3x3 table. Vanilla has well over 10 items, let alone modded items and mod specific crafting mechanics)​

Sorry guys- I know its a late post. Busy thread+ timezones+ getting up early for work the next morning.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
If Buildcraft would make their quarry a bit smarter I wouldn't bother with QuarryPlus. The simple fact that QuarryPlus deals with liquids intelligently while Buildcraft does not means I'll always prefer QuarryPlus. It is doing what Buildcraft should have done long ago.

The first time you see QuarryPlus wall off a pool of liquid from the edge of the quarry using the orange quarry frame is glorious. Maybe I play too much minecraft?

true... the buildcraft quarry is kind of oudated. it's nice that it's been updated to take in more MJ for faster digging speed, and can suck in nearby items, but it could still use more impovements

jokermatt999

Jul 29, 2019
long post, good analysis

Good solution on the Biomes o Plenty issue. Personally, alternate terrain gen is one of the major reasons I love mods. Totally agree with you on Ars Magicka too.

Geostrata appears to have different cobble, but I haven't looked too much into it. I'll have to see how common it is, really. If they're supported by Forestry's backpacks, that might be a good temporary fix.

Meteorcraft is disabled by default, which is good. I posted my concerns about it earlier in the thread.

Tyrindor

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not seeing Mekanism or Dartcraft anywhere in that list. Is this the anti-fun modpack?

I don't know why an entirely unbalanced Dartcraft gets in the last round of modpacks, the developer works really hard to balance it and then it gets ignored for this round of packs. Seems like FTB might be sending the wrong message on that one.

Because most people prefer TiC, and there's very little reason to have both those mods in the same pack.

Reactions: TheMike

verid

Jul 29, 2019
I wonder why Project Red was excluded. I remember the days when we all waited and waited for RedPower to update...

Tyrindor

Jul 29, 2019
I wonder why Project Red was excluded. I remember the days when we all waited and waited for RedPower to update...

It's a beta thing, pretty sure. I think they are waiting for it to be updated due to some bugs it is causing?

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
It's a beta thing, pretty sure. I think they are waiting for it to be updated due to some bugs it is causing?

I don't know if they're waiting for an update from ProjectRed, but I do know that in Horizon's they've received alot of crash reports concerning ProjectRed

Good solution on the Biomes o Plenty issue. Personally, alternate terrain gen is one of the major reasons I love mods. Totally agree with you on Ars Magicka too.

Geostrata appears to have different cobble, but I haven't looked too much into it. I'll have to see how common it is, really. If they're supported by Forestry's backpacks, that might be a good temporary fix.

Meteorcraft is disabled by default, which is good. I posted my concerns about it earlier in the thread.

that's something I hope they'll be working on aswell, on adding more items to the backpacks. I think that nowadays mods will label their items/blocks to directly go into the forestry backpacks, but not all the mods do that yet, so there are still some of those items not going into the backpacks. for instance the shards from Thaumcraft, they do not directly go into the backpacks

Tyrindor

Jul 29, 2019
Only like 4 of the BOP biomes are enabled by default, this is on top of the mod being disabled by default, as well as being disabled for vanilla generation. Seems a bit.. excessive? You have to enable the mod, enable all the biomes in the configs (lengthy process when there's ~80 of them), then when creating a new world select BOP as the generation type.

There's no reason for all that. Simply have BOP and all biomes enabled by default. With the current configs, it will still only generates BOP biomes if you select it on world creation. It's also best to leave all Biomes enabled so people can pick and choose which they want to disable (if any).

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
Only like 4 of the BOP biomes are enabled by default, this is on top of the mod being disabled by default, as well as being disabled for vanilla generation. Seems a bit.. excessive? You have to enable the mod, enable all the biomes in the configs (lengthy process when there's ~80 of them), then when creating a new world select BOP as the generation type.

There's no reason for all that. Simply have BOP and all biomes enabled by default. With the current configs, it will still only generates BOP biomes if you select it on world creation. It's also best to leave all Biomes enabled so people can pick and choose which they want to disable (if any).
Sounds like ultimate all over again..

Sarda

Jul 29, 2019
There a choice between a bunch of different minimaps by default but the one from 1.5; VoxelMap, isn't a choice. Found that a bit odd.

Edit: Aparently its called Zan's now.

Portal Gun & Big Reactors is here so I don't need to add that. Still had to manually add the missing PowerConverters & Gravity Gun tho.

Last edited:

AlwaysGoofingOff

Jul 29, 2019
I want to start a SSP instance of Monster. Are there are SMP-specific mods in the pack that I could disable to improve performance?

Tyrindor

Jul 29, 2019
I want to start a SSP instance of Monster. Are there are SMP-specific mods in the pack that I could disable to improve performance?

Pretty sure SMP specific mods are only on the server download version.

Also this is a very early beta and many mods will likely be added/removed. Would not suggest creating a new non-test world just yet.

AlwaysGoofingOff

Jul 29, 2019
Also this is a very early beta and many mods will likely be added/removed. Would not suggest creating a new non-test world just yet.

Ah good to know, thanks. I'll wait for it to come out of beta then.

Tristam Izumi said:
The only semi-SMP mod would be Opis/MapWriter, and that's just a minimap mod with TPS/latency tracking built in.

I am enjoying MapWriter so far in the little bit I've used it in my latest DW20 world. I don't use Opis since I'm SSP, but I understand MapWriter requires Opis - correct?

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
I am enjoying MapWriter so far in the little bit I've used it in my latest DW20 world. I don't use Opis since I'm SSP, but I understand MapWriter requires Opis - correct?
It's actually Opis that's installed in the DW20 pack. It has MapWriter built in to it, so that's what you're seeing. Opis actually "requires" MapWriter, but since Opis includes MapWriter in itself, there's never a dependency issue.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Unless something has changed in the last fortnight or so, Mapwriter does not require Opis. I think Opis ships with its own version of mapwriter though.

Ninja'd

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Unless someone too up the mantle of fixing quarry+ it's very broken and will trash/crash your worlds.