Jul 29, 2019
My config would like a word with you:

Code:
#####################
# CRAFTING
#####################
# set to false to disable crafting recipe for bronze
crafting.bronze.enabled=true

Something that would be cool is a config about how many bronze can you make, like the way you did with fertilizer

Reactions: NosePicker5555

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Something that would be cool is a config about how many bronze can you make, like the way you did with fertilizer

No, what would be cool if the author of GT would come to his senses and figure that it makes perfect sense for 1 tin and 3 copper to net you 4 ingots and that it also really doesn't matter for IC2 users because it hardly uses Bronze.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
No, what would be cool if the author of GT would come to his senses and figure that it makes perfect sense for 1 tin and 3 copper to net you 4 ingots and that it also really doesn't matter for IC2 users because it hardly uses Bronze.

Somebody give this guy a medal for his Words of Wisdom.

EDIT: excuse of a gregtech fan: ''well, ya, cuz sinz it dosnt us so much brozn why no nerf it? gregtech for prezidnt!!one!1!!!11eleven!1!!''

ApSciLiara

Jul 29, 2019
Why doesn't GregTech just change the bronze dust recipe to give 4 dusts, and disable the ingots recipe from Forestry? Still requires using dust, doesn't dissolve half my matter magically.

And also fixing the alloy smelter/induction smelter recipes to give 4 instead of 2/1.

Reactions: kittenykat

volakor

Jul 29, 2019
Personally, before really using gregtech a lot, i hated it as well, but now, after getting over the expensive recipes, it actually is a lot of fun and it adds a lot to normal IC2 which has not been updated with new stuff since a long time ago.

kenken244

Jul 29, 2019
You can change the config to allow it to make 4 ingots but still using dust. and in IC2, bronze is at the same tier as iron (and even better for some purposes as it), and gregtech extends this idea. Since copper and tin are both much more common than iron, it makes sense that it would cost more ingots. The fact is, that if two mods add different recipes for the same material, and one is twice as cheap as the other, one mod or the other is going to be unbalanced. since gregtech adds many more machines that use bronze, it is better to default to the IC2 recipe.

kenken244

Jul 29, 2019
You don't seem to understand what "balance" is. You are talking about consistency, which greg actually improves by making the bronze recipes yield the same amount. Balance is when every option is approximately equally viable. would you ever make a machine using 8 iron if you could use 6 copper and 2 tin instead? I don't think so. That is why it is balanced to have the bronze recipe use tin. And forestry has a whole 2 machines that you make in any quantity that use bronze, while gregtech has a whole half-page in NEI

coolfocks

Jul 29, 2019
Nearly every machine in Forestry uses bronze. It's a bronze heavy mod. If we're going to talk balance lets look at some mixing of dusts.

3 Copper + 1 Zinc = 4 Brass
2 Iron + 1 Nickel = 3 Invar
3 Copper + 1 Tin = 2 Bronze

Which one doesn't add up?

Pump lava into industrial centrifuges and you will never be short on copper or tin again. It is perfectly balanced in a way, that as a mod it also gives you a way to generate the very needed materials, basically for free.

davidmeow2

Jul 29, 2019
I think GregTech is only good with hard recipes disabled because it makes it way too hard to start out with hard recipes but the extra ores, machines, etc can be useful later in the game.

gattsuru

May 25, 2013
And forestry has a whole 2 machines that you make in any quantity that use bronze, while gregtech has a whole half-page in NEI
Forestry's Moistener (and thus Fermenter), Thermionic Fabricator, Carpenter, Centrifuge, and Analyzer all require sturdy casings, which require eight bronze a piece, as do some less important options. GregTech uses bronze more than IC2 does by default, since it's an option for the advanced alloy, but it's not a high yield option /and/ Greg's reduced the bronze requirements to a third for the most recent version of GregTech (3.06b) even while reducing the bronze yield further.

There are good reasons for that -- most seriously, Forestry assumes tin and copper are less available than IndustrialCraft (and thus GregTech), but it's still a very inelegant solution.

kenken244

Jul 29, 2019
you also can use bronze machine hulls in place of machine blocks in nearly every gregtech machine and several IC2 machines. I actually never use bronze in mixed metal ingots, since brass is a much better alternative.Furthermore I rarely find myself building more than one or two of any of those machines, except the biogas engines and the fermenter. I will also note that a similar issue applies to the biogas engine as for gregtech machines; the engine, using stronger bronze recipe, costs less than the combustion engine, but produces almost the same mj/t, using a renewable fuel, and with no danger of explosion.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
You don't seem to understand what "balance" is. You are talking about consistency, which greg actually improves by making the bronze recipes yield the same amount. Balance is when every option is approximately equally viable. would you ever make a machine using 8 iron if you could use 6 copper and 2 tin instead? I don't think so.

Maybe you should take some time to step outside your little IC2 based universum where pretty much everything is based on iron and look at other mods. I have a well rounded installation and even with 8 36HP boilers and craptons of AE , BC and TE stuff I have much MUCH more Iron in storage than copper or tin.

Forestry needs atleast 8 bronze for every single machine and also bio-gas engines require a lot of it (11 bronze). It relies heavily on the availability of this material, unlike IC2 or GregTech. Which makes it completely ridiculous that an IC2 based mods nerfs this because for IC2 it really DOES NOT matter at all how easy or hard bronze is to get.

Stop trying to give arguments on why in your perception the bronze nerf is 'good'; it's not. It's simply stupid to make such a change without any consideration to the mods that actually NEED those recipes just because you want to 'balance' (and don't make me laugh, Gregs idea of balancing is making stuff tedious and then adding his own machines that are better than what's provided by other mods) a mod that DOESN'T NEED the recipes.[DOUBLEPOST=1369818017][/DOUBLEPOST]
Furthermore I rarely find myself building more than one or two of any of those machines

Yeah, that was pretty obvious. And since you hardly use forestry you should not be commenting on something that does not affect you the slightest.

I get it, you're a fan of GregTech, fine. He adds some really interesting machines. But he also makes nilly willy changes to 'balance' what in his mind is 'unbalanced' without any considerations of WHY these mods have those recipes in the first place.

hotblack desiato

Jul 29, 2019
hmm, one thing that puzzles me:

what does the current ore distribution look like compared to the ore distribution in the other mods? since FTB uses one configured through TE with other mod copper and tin turned off.

in other words. it just doesn't matter if I have a 3 copper + 1 tin = 2 bronze recipe, if I run into copper and tin veines whenever I mine a bit. whereas the current situation seems to be a bit problematic, as the copper and tin distribution in the ground are not balanced to the needs of IC2 or forestry. furthermore, forestry (aswell as buildcraft) does not offer ore dublication. so one piece of copper ore is one copper ingot, whereas the pulverizer and the ind. grinder give you more than 2 dusts per ore block, or even a method of creating copper and tin completely besides the need of harvesting ores (lava centrifuging... even if netherlava feels cheaty, melt some rocks in the magma crucible)...

TheGiolly

Jul 29, 2019
I think GregTech is only good with hard recipes disabled because it makes it way too hard to start out with hard recipes but the extra ores, machines, etc can be useful later in the game.
I think like he!
Can anyone give me a tutorial or the config files (recipes must to be like without grehtech) of the lastest Gregtech version in FTB Ultimate 1.1.2?
Sorry for my bad english but i am Italian...
Thanks
Bye

davidmeow2

Jul 29, 2019
You can get to the configs from the launcher. You look for the modpack you want to change, you press the "edit modpack" button. A window will pop up with a list of mods, you select GregTech. From there I think there is a button for the configs.

gattsuru

May 25, 2013
what does the current ore distribution look like compared to the ore distribution in the other mods? since FTB uses one configured through TE with other mod copper and tin turned off.
IC2, at least, makes Tin and Copper fairly common, and at higher levels, than base Forestry, in my experience. Thermal Expansion (and thus FTB) has a customizable worldgen metric, with the FTB defaults still more common than the Forestry values and available at higher Y-levels.

On the other hand, IC2 does use a good deal more tin and copper to start with, since nearly every machine and wiring plan needs some of the material. It's only the bronze mix that's relegated to armor and a wrench you shouldn't use. So it does drain some of the available bronze even before considering the change to the bronze recipe itself.

I don't know enough about how Forestry's balance works to discuss typical usage patterns.

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
I thought from the beginning that GT bronze nerf was a bad idea. There was an option to disable forestry bronze recipe since 1.2.9.14, which was second release for Minecraft 1.1.0. It only matters in the beginning, when crafting bronze armor, centrifuge "exploit" is already gone if you decide to disable Forestry bronze nerf and you can craft advanced alloys from brass. Also Forestry has sensible config, you can configure almost anything if you really want, but you also can choose from OP, Easy, Normal and Hard preconfigured settings, so 5 seconds in config allows you to play how you want. For GT I ended up using macros to enable storage block crafting/uncrafting, because I want to use GT, but I don't want to focus on it.

TheGiolly

Jul 29, 2019
You can get to the configs from the launcher. You look for the modpack you want to change, you press the "edit modpack" button. A window will pop up with a list of mods, you select GregTech. From there I think there is a button for the configs.

No, there aren't any config button...

gattsuru

May 25, 2013
Can anyone give me a tutorial or the config files (recipes must to be like without grehtech) of the lastest Gregtech version in FTB Ultimate 1.1.2?
GregTech configuration files go to Ultimate\minecraft\config\gregtech, with the important files being "Recipes.cfg" and "Gregtech.cfg". If you can't find your minecraft install directory, it should be listed on the Options tab next to Install Folder...

Important changes in Gregtech.cfg :
Under "features" :
b:ForestryBronzeNerf - when true, returns two (or one, in more recent versions) Bronze per three copper and one tin.

Under "machines" :
b:Constant_Need_Of_Energy - when true, gregtech machines will lose progress if the device loses power, even for a split second.
b:explosions_on_nonwrenching - when true, gregtech machines will explode if you pick up with a drill or fists.
b:fire_causes_explosions, b:machines_flammable, b:lightning_causes_explosions, b:rain_causes_explosions - when true, makes gregtech machinery explode if on fire, struck by lightning, wet by rain, or looked at funny.
b:wirefire_on_explosion - when true, exploding machines will send pulses of increasingly high voltage back up their connected wires.

In recipes.cfg, the most relevant bit is under "usefulrecipes":
B:BeryliumReflector - when true, requires a Berylium Cell instead of a Thick Copper Plate for Thick Neutron Reflectors, used for nuclear stuff.
B:Compress2Storageblock - when true, allows a compressor to turn Ingots into Blocks. Setting to false will allow you to do it by hand at a crafting table, although you can also tweak individual types of ingots in other parts of the recipes.cfg
B:DifficultIridiumPlate - when true, requires an implosion compressor to make Iridium Plates, as well as complicating their creation in other ways.
B:ElectricSteelTools - when true, requires steel instead of refined iron to make the mining drill and similar tools.
B:ExpensiveBCQuarryRecipe - when true, requires a Diamond Drill instead of a Diamond pickaxe to make a BuildCraft quarry.
B:ExpensiveLaser - when true, requires titanium and a coolant cell to make a mining laser.
B:ExpensiveMaceratorRecipe - when true, requires diamonds instead of flint for the Macerator.
B:ExpensiveNanoSaber - when true, requires platinum, iridium, and higher tier components for the Nano Saber.
B:ExpensiveNukeRecipe - when true, makes the hidden Nuke recipe more expensive.
B:ExpensiveSolarRecipe - when true, vastly increases the cost for Solar Panels, as well as Advanced Solar Panels (if installed).
B:ExpensiveWatermillRecipe - when true, requires aluminum ingots to make a Watermill, instead of sticks and wood.
B:ExpensiveWindRecipe - when true, requires carbon or magelium plates to make a Wind Mill, instead of iron ingots.
B:MMIngotOnlyRollingMachine - when true and Railcraft is installed, requires a Rolling Machine to make mixed metal ingots.
B:Storageblock2Macerator - when true, allows a macerator to turn Blocks into several dusts. Setting to false will allow you to do it by hand at a crafting table, although you can also tweak individual types of blocks in other parts of the recipes.cfg
I:TincellsPer4Tin - sets the number of cell per tin recipe. Default is 4 or 8, depending on version, while IC2 usually allows 16.
B:TitaniumDiamondDrill - when true, requires titanium in addition to diamonds when upgrading to a diamond drill.
B:ToolAndArmorMaceration - when true, allows the macerator to turn armor back into dust.
B:WatermillReverseCrafting -

Note that, if you're playing on a multiplayer server, that these changes must be made on both client and server, or you will encounter errors.

Apologies I can't speak Italian.