• I don't like it!

Votes: 78 33.1%
  • I can't decide!

Votes: 37 15.7%

• Total voters

DerelleBot

Jul 29, 2019
Back on topic:

I like the new blocks and machines GT adds, but I don't like it changing fundamental mechanics and recipes from other mods, determined by the mods' authors to be balanced.

What I did with my FTB Ultimate playthrough, was leave GT out until I reached pretty much end-game IC2-wise. By this point I didn't really care about tougher recipes. Playing this way allows a faster start but still a challenge once you're up and running (or flying, as it were.)

I would rather not waste my life playing a game longer than necessary to get the same amount of enjoyment in the end.

The End's asteroids are awesome. The fusion reactors are fun. The plasma generators are perfect. The multi-blocks are magnificent. But leave the rest of my game alone please.

The mod itself feels poorly done. While most of the time the blocks and items work the way they're intended, the English language has been butchered, the GUIs feel very cheesy (except the plate bending machine. I love that progress bar), and an unprecedented phobia of over-poweredness has left this mod consuming too much time and providing too little fun to compensate.

The solution I would be happy with, and to the best of my understanding, everyone else as well, would be to either:

A: include GT by default, but .disabled
2: include GT enabled, but include "easy" and normal configs. Easy set by default.

"Easy" meaning leave as much alone as possible, and only add new awesomeness. e.g. my fusion reactor won't explode when rained upon and mass fabrication stays useful. (Let the Matter Fabricator be a more expensive/more efficient upgrade.)

A mod should add machines that are actually useful, instead of disabling useful ones and making its own expensive and inefficient machines the only ones available.

Even then, if it's still too much work to play a video game (for crying out loud), then I personally won't use GT at all. But I don't speak for everyone.

Edit: I understand the well-intentioned attempt of balancing that GT performs, but in my opinion, it should at least ship with a config available that won't completely break existing setups. (e.g. AE auto-crafting)

I'm not sure I want Greg to be the one to "balance" my game.

The ingenuity "problem" will not be solved by a mod to make the game harder. People will just not use the mod. They'll still take the easiest route. The problem needn't be corrected by anyone but the culprit; the player.

If they want to copy Dire then they should be free to do so. It's not impacting anyone else's enjoyment of the game; only theirs. And if they enjoy it, then why is it a problem? Trust me: using GregTech doesn't force the player to be more creative. It forces people to use a wiki/guide more than ever. lol

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
playing in team solves 0 issues that gt has and pushes to other mods. and again there is no "hard to get" thing in gt, maybe you meant "long time wait to get"?

Actually that's false, I hate the mod and what it stands for with a passion but working with others does spread the Greg pain about considerably.

However grouping together doesn't make the mod fun though (at least for us)... And grouping up can actually trivialize the core values behind the mod.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Gregory also announced that he will keep his add-on IC2 only yet even if he wakes up one day and decides to use Buildcraft API,

As much as I'd expect anything out of his keyboard, I still doubt this claim since GT already support Buildcraft MJs, and UE KWs

BananaSplit2

Jul 29, 2019
Funny how haters claim most of the community hate Greg Tech. The poll of this thread doesn't say the same thing

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
So explain to me again why it was a good idea for DerelleBot (was DerailBot taken?) to necro a thread that was nearly 2 months old and then for people to continue holding a conversation in this thread relating to events that happened within the last week, long after this poll was effectively over.

Yea, I know, irony with me posting to point this out, but still.

Edit: Also, for the mods that will inevitably lock this thread, is there a way to report the thread and not just specific posts?

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
So explain to me again why it was a good idea for DerelleBot (was DerailBot taken?) to necro a thread that was nearly 2 months old and then for people to continue holding a conversation in this thread relating to events that happened within the last week, long after this poll was effectively over.

Edit: Also, for the mods that will inevitably lock this thread, is there a way to report the thread and not just specific posts?
FTB forum, in its finest :)

Reactions: russjr08

DerelleBot

Jul 29, 2019

Slowpoke told me to post here. I regret nothing.

Thanks for actually adding something meaningful to the conversation!

eric167

Jul 29, 2019
simply put, i like gregtech for its massive expansion of IC2, but i do NOT like the overcomplication of early recipies. IE macerator. later recipies i dont mind as much hardmode for near-endgame and endgame stuff.
basically i would like it divided into two tiers- early stuff, like solar panels/adv solars, should have thier original recipies. the hybrid and ultimates should have hardmode recipie, in part to discourage spamming solar farms, i would even advocate the making of some recipies HARDER to compensate for the end-game relative ease of high-tier materials and near infinite energy.
early game things like the mining/diamond drill should have the simple recipies, adv. diamond drill and laser harder.

currently GT has two options. easymode, hardmode.
easymode makes endgame recipies almost too cheap, hardmode makes the BEGINNING too expensive, which in my opinion is worse.

i also like the multiblocks and would like to see a few more.

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
simply put, i like gregtech for its massive expansion of IC2, but i do NOT like the overcomplication of early recipies. IE macerator. later recipies i dont mind as much hardmode for near-endgame and endgame stuff.
basically i would like it divided into two tiers- early stuff, like solar panels/adv solars, should have thier original recipies. the hybrid and ultimates should have hardmode recipie, in part to discourage spamming solar farms, i would even advocate the making of some recipies HARDER to compensate for the end-game relative ease of high-tier materials and near infinite energy.
early game things like the mining/diamond drill should have the simple recipies, adv. diamond drill and laser harder.

currently GT has two options. easymode, hardmode.
easymode makes endgame recipies almost too cheap, hardmode makes the BEGINNING too expensive, which in my opinion is worse.

i also like the multiblocks and would like to see a few more.

GT has, as far as new packs with unadjusted configs go, only one option. Hardmode.

Everything else is a matter of configs. All the stuff you want to do can be done (easier macerator, easier solars, easier drills, harder laser & advanced drill) in the configs. You can even do things like adjust how long it takes for machines to do specific things.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
GT has, as far as new packs with unadjusted configs go, only one option. Hardmode.

Everything else is a matter of configs. All the stuff you want to do can be done (easier macerator, easier solars, easier drills, harder laser & advanced drill) in the configs. You can even do things like adjust how long it takes for machines to do specific things.
Original wrench...

That being said GT's new wrench is vastly better. Still screwy with adjusting machines faces.

DerelleBot

Jul 29, 2019
I thought all Gregtech threads were locked...

No one had posted here for a whole day, until you posted here yesterday. Since then, 5 more posts have been made here.

Now why, one might ask, would people want all GregTech threads locked.

Locking an active thread has been known to bring about multiple new replacement threads, which is not usually ideal for topics that do not require more than a single thread.

This is the one thread that Slowpoke designated as the only GregTech discussion thread. Some people like to actually, y'know, discuss stuff on forums. And if people want to discuss a mod, in "Mod Discussion," then in my opinion, they should be able to.

Reactions: Eyamaz

dgdas9

Jul 29, 2019
Now why, one might ask, would people want all GregTech threads locked.
Simple: There are a lot of them. Usually, you get the same thing in everyone of them. Also, they usually end up in "flame wars" where there's no respect and just personal attacks. And, as you might have guessed they get locked.
Locking an active thread has been known to bring about multiple new replacement threads, which is not usually ideal for topics that do not require more than a single thread.
Yup! And sometime ago, JadedCat made a thread called "All Gretech Discussions go here"(or something like that), and she said something like : "We have too many Gregtech threads. They will be locked and old ones will be locked too". Maybe she missed this one.
This is the one thread that Slowpoke designated as the only GregTech discussion thread. Some people like to actually, y'know, discuss stuff on forums. And if people want to discuss a mod, in "Mod Discussion," then in my opinion, they should be able to.
I see to options:
1-Slowpoked said that in a recent livestream

2- You just made that up, or you are confused, thinking this is the other thread I just talked about.

And yes, people should be able to discuss, but sometimes things go too far and they have to stop for a bit.

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I'm not aware of any special designation or instructions for this specific thread.

That said, as long as people can keep their noses clean, I don't see a need to lock it at the moment, either.

eric167

Jul 29, 2019
cool.
well, ive got GT working now on Unleashed, hardmode off, or as the config file says "too easy mode" on.
ive also tweaked the adv. solars a little, so im limited to just the adv. solar panels.
honestly, i think i can live with needing a steel nugget to make flint&steel.

what are peoples favorite/least favorite machines from GT?
mine would have to be the grinder or the fusion reactor. ive always been a fan of the multi-block structures, and would like to see more.

and since ive not seen terribly many, would someone be kind enough to post an image or two of whats needed to keep a fusion reactor going?