FTB Launcher News

bgh251f2

Jul 29, 2019
I've seen a lot of comments about us being silent and not commenting yet I know I've been active in this thread, as has Watchful. Why do you think we are being silent? More to the point, what more can we do to dispel this illusion of silence?

Communication within a community doesn't mean only answering questions, it also means being forward with information before questions be made. If every time a post is made we have to ask a relevant( I would say essential) question it means that communication is failing. If after 4 months there's been no update and we have to ask so we can know what's going on It means no update. You say Curse has been occupied with WOW, but I'm a Linux user, I do not play WOW. If Curse is not providing any information I'll go to the people who would have it, the FTB team, but if the FTB team is also not providing any information then I'll think they have abandoned the project altogether. Linux users are used to be abandoned after a promisse so spontaneous communication is important.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
I'm sorry, I just don't buy this load #$%@. You are a LINUX user. Therefore you have options to get the packs and play. Even if they don't make a Curse Client for Linux. All of the packs on Curse have project websites associated with them were you can download the zip file needed to play the pack then just use your favorite launcher for Linux. It is a little more work but it is doable.

Personally I think some people just like complain. I know of several people in real life that are habitual complainers and they are among the most miserable people I know. They are never happy. Happiness is a matter of what you make of it and I believe it to be a choice not a matter of life circumstance.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Communication within a community doesn't mean only answering questions, it also means being forward with information before questions be made. If every time a post is made we have to ask a relevant( I would say essential) question it means that communication is failing. If after 4 months there's been no update and we have to ask so we can know what's going on It means no update. You say Curse has been occupied with WOW, but I'm a Linux user, I do not play WOW. If Curse is not providing any information I'll go to the people who would have it, the FTB team, but if the FTB team is also not providing any information then I'll think they have abandoned the project altogether. Linux users are used to be abandoned after a promisse so spontaneous communication is important.

You have already been told several times what's going on and why Curse doesn't have anything right now.

bgh251f2

Jul 29, 2019
I'm sorry, I just don't buy this load #$%@. You are a LINUX user. Therefore you have options to get the packs and play. Even if they don't make a Curse Client for Linux. All of the packs on Curse have project websites associated with them were you can download the zip file needed to play the pack then just use your favorite launcher for Linux. It is a little more work but it is doable.

Personally I think some people just like complain. I know of several people in real life that are habitual complainers and they are among the most miserable people I know. They are never happy. Happiness is a matter of what you make of it and I believe it to be a choice not a matter of life circumstance.

1. I can, it doesn't mean I'll keep recommending people to FTB when they will not provide to all the new users a similar experience. Not all Linux users are tech savvy, my mother uses Linux, My father also. They are not experts, not all Linux users are.
  2. Not all packs on Curse have the zip. And those who have doesn't always explain to new users how to install them on Linux. Also They are not always updated in a similar fashion or as frequently as for the Curse launcher users.
  3. Also I'm making a point if you think I'm unhappy that is your choice, not mine.
You have already been told several times what's going on and why Curse doesn't have anything right now.

Yeah but just after I asked. I shouldn't need to ask. There should be a faq about this information, and it should be updated as frequently as possible. Also the leaders should be upfront and say what will not be done, for example they should say: "we thought the API would be possible, but it will not be". And they should update it as soon as possible.

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
I have not started to complain now, I have been complaining since the beginning. I've been avoiding to play any ftb pack and have been steering people away from them because I simply don't know if I will be able to play ftb packs in the future because the ftb team is being silent all the time. As for the action having to come from Curse, no, it has not. FTB is the only one who made any commitment. And would not be the first time they would go back on their words if they didn't but the silence is what is upsetting.

First, I NEVER said you started now. I've read the thread and participated. I know this is not new for you. And others have made it clear that they are in fact working on it, sometimes news doesn't come when we want it, but when there is actually news to be had.
Second, no offense to the ftb team but, they're rather expert at the no news thing. When important things have happened we've been told.

1. I can, it doesn't mean I'll keep recommending people to FTB when they will not provide to all the new users a similar experience. Not all Linux users are tech savvy, my mother uses Linux, My father also. They are not experts, not all Linux users are.
  2. Not all packs on Curse have the zip. And those who have doesn't always explain to new users how to install them on Linux. Also They are not always updated in a similar fashion or as frequently as for the Curse launcher users.
  3. Also I'm making a point if you think I'm unhappy that is your choice, not mine.

Yeah but just after I asked. I shouldn't need to ask. There should be a faq about this information, and it should be updated as frequently as possible. Also the leaders should be upfront and say what will not be done, for example they should say: "we thought the API would be possible, but it will not be". And they should update it as soon as possible.

If it would have changed the answer, you probably would have known prior to asking. Badgering is clearly getting you no where but closer to another migraine. Point or no point, clearly your view has been noted. Maybe I'm being naive. But at this point? Maybe no news... is good news.

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014

I fail to see what you would have them do. The curse app is not their app. And if a pack dev doesn't post to FTB launcher and you want them to you'll have to talk to the pack dev. Nether of the things your complaining about other then updates about a app they don't control has nothing to do with the FTB team. Your argument isn't making much sense. Fact is you can complain on here for a 1,000 more pages and that isn't going to get curse working any harder cause the app is curses not FTB's.

Reactions: Padfoote

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
can someone ELI5 what's going on here?
Basically FTB made the announcement that they would be moving over to the curse app which was being made for FTB team based off the partnership from years ago. Now Curse was bought by twitch which is now owned by Amazon and FTB is stuck in limbo until they all figure out what happens next. As this was going on people from the forums that hate curse keep trying the hound the FTb team about the curse app that they have no control over because they hate curse and don't want to use the app. while all this was going on curse decides to promise a linux compatible curse app. Then they refuse to update the progress of this to Linux users so a few of them decided to hound FTB team about info on the Linux app which again FTB has no control over. That about it barring the version leap frog which is another thing all together that we will not get into.

TheEpic5

Jul 29, 2019
Basically FTB made the announcement that they would be moving over to the curse app which was being made for FTB team based off the partnership from years ago. Now Curse was bought by twitch which is now owned by Amazon and FTB is stuck in limbo until they all figure out what happens next. As this was going on people from the forums that hate curse keep trying the hound the FTb team about the curse app that they have no control over because they hate curse and don't want to use the app. while all this was going on curse decides to promise a linux compatible curse app. Then they refuse to update the progress of this to Linux users so a few of them decided to hound FTB team about info on the Linux app which again FTB has no control over. That about it barring the version leap frog which is another thing all together that we will not get into.
couldnt they (ftb) just leave curse or did they sign a contract with them?

Physicist

Jul 29, 2019
I'm a Linux user. I heard my voice needs to be heard here. I like that the FTB launcher is a jar, so I can have only one on my whole system, with only one folder and instance of each pack for those (increasingly rare) times I'm in Windows.

I want to always be able to click two buttons with no login besides my Mojang login to get to the main Minecraft menu. (related factoid: Nvidia's GeForce experience started requiring an account. I uninstalled it from every Windows computer in my house and now get driver updates manually.)

I'm OK with the small advertising footprint that exists on the launcher, and I don't want more. I don't want any social media stuff, account linkages, or tracking beyond duplicate tracking of the same data Mojang's snooper already collects.

The feature I crave the most: I should be able to run startx with 'exec ftb --pack hermitcraft' as the text in my .xinitrc.

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
couldnt they (ftb) just leave curse or did they sign a contract with them?
They do have a contract. It would take bit of time for that to happen. They have done really well with curse so I don't know if that is something they would want.

bgh251f2

Jul 29, 2019

I don't want update on The Curse Launcher from ftb, I want update on the alternative that FTB promised. Even more now that Curse said on twitter that it has no plans regarding a Linux Launcher...

Quetzi

Jack of All Trades
Retired Staff
Aug 20, 2012
quetzi.tv
Our launcher is still quite able to launch FTB packs, why is there a need for an alternative at this time? Until we debrand it we'll continue to maintain it for our linux users.

Reactions: Physicist

jikuja

legacy FTB Launcher developer
Launcher Developer
Global Moderator
Dec 17, 2013
I'm not sure if they understood correctly if you were asking Curse (app) for linux or minecraft pack installer solution for curse hosted MC packs. That answer is conflicting with earlier answers if you asked comment for linux solution for MC packs.

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
Our launcher is still quite able to launch FTB packs, why is there a need for an alternative at this time? Until we debrand it we'll continue to maintain it for our linux users.
I'm not sure if they understood correctly if you were asking Curse (app) for linux or minecraft pack installer solution for curse hosted MC packs. That answer is conflicting with earlier answers if you asked comment for linux solution for MC packs.
sounds pretty straight forward. ?they aren't curse? and have no plans on making packs available outside curse. that is up to the mod author. not them. where they are the mod author they have made packs available on a different launchr.

Brings to mind why aren't you bringing packs from the at and technic launcher's over to the official FTB launcher. The answer is the same i think and just as apropiate.

thanks both of you for posting so close together, I think it answers the the situation very well.

Edit:
it doesn't matter if any of them work for curse or not actually. ?they don't run curse?so have no say in whether curse takes peoples packs and publishes on a different platform. with or without the pack devs permission.

it would be even more shady if they took people packs on curse and put them on their ftb launcher. especially without getting hold of the pack dev. If the pack dev wants linux user to play their packs they know what to do.

I won't be publishing my pack anywhere else. i could care less if linux users can use it or not. they should be pretty used to having to put real effort to play games on their os of choice by now and i am sure they will figure out a way if it really matters to them.

Last edited:

SephirothWS

Jul 29, 2019
it would be even more shady if they took people packs on curse and put them on their ftb launcher. especially without getting hold of the pack dev. If the pack dev wants linux user to play their packs they know what to do.

What? So you're saying people should submit their packs to the FTB launcher to be played by Linux folk? What about the stance the FTB team has on the launcher being depreciated? Is the FTB team still accepting new packs to be listed on the launcher?