FTB Launcher News

Sandstroem

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't read all 20 pages here, so I apologize if my questions have been answered before.

Right now Curse has a section with tons of modpacks, some good ones and a lot of crappy ones, and a second section with FTB's own modpacks. What will the future procedure be for listed packs, how do you separate them from the mass or will there be no more listed 3rd party packs?

What happens to the old packs that are still on the FTB launcher with a code, but not on curse, because those packs are not maintained anymore? Will it be impossible to play them then? I guess you won't upload all packs to Curse. I am speaking about all those old abandoned, but still playable packs, like Golem Factory, Clouds of Darkness, etc.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
But no news about the Linux solution for Curse...

Not even the change on the download Link seems to be feasible to be done in a few months...

You're beating a dead horse. This has been covered so many times in twenty pages. If there's something that changes it'll be announced. There is zero reason to continue to complain about it on the internet when all of the people seeing it don't have the power to make things magically appear.

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
To carry on with what padfoote said... complaining here does zero good. The development is on curse's end not ftb's. And while I know complaining makes you feel better short-term it makes no progress to your goal.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
https://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/...the_new_minecraft_launcher_check_the/d970t8i/

It seems like the new Vanilla launcher for Linux(that was previously said as unnecessary because Linux users are all experts) is coming. But no news about the Linux solution for Curse...

Not even the change on the download Link seems to be feasible to be done in a few months...

Since this will be the first Mojang Linux launcher who's to say, and this is personal speculation here, that Curse won't be able to launch MC the same way they do Windows now? Before, perhaps not having a launcher to call was a stumble point... ?

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
The mojang launcher has always worked on linux.
Actually, so far there have been 3 launchers, one of which you shouldn't have realized it was a new version (the current one). This introduced that minecraft got its own java included with its launcher and for the rest works exactly the same as the previous one.

However, last time I heard about that it was said that this version wouldn't be made for linux for various reasons however the launcher would still be updated like normal, it just wouldn't have its own java included.

That is the only thing I can imaging @Hambeau talking about however this was ages ago and I have no idea if it changed.

bgh251f2

Jul 29, 2019
To carry on with what padfoote said... complaining here does zero good. The development is on curse's end not ftb's. And while I know complaining makes you feel better short-term it makes no progress to your goal.

Well complaining on Curse is simply not worth, it isn't them that are deprecating the launcher without having a talk about what alternative would be provided, and Curse never promised anything about Linux, FTB did, so why would I go to Curse? At least now the front page has been changed to reflect the reality.

Quetzi

Jack of All Trades
Retired Staff
Aug 20, 2012
quetzi.tv
There is only so many times that things can be re-iterated, I'll try and sum up the current situation as it stands right now. Firstly, to make it clear, this isn't about making excuses but about explaining why things aren't magically done right now and why there has been very little in the way of new info.

1. 4 Months ago Curse said they were investigating the possibility of a Linux port for their app.
2. In those 4 months Curse has had a major focus on getting the WoW plugin ready for the expansion release, this will obviously have impacted on any investigation they were doing or were planning to do.
3. Also in those 4 months Curse were acquired by Twitch. Note that this was an acquisition, not a merger or a partnership. There has clearly been a shift in focus to add more Twitch integration into the app due to the amount of new features that have been deployed relating to Twitch. Again, very likely to have impacted any work on a Linux port.
4. Both Slowpoke and myself have been effectively 'out of the business' for a little over a month and we've not been in a position to try and chase for updates.

None of that info is new and it's all been either publicly stated or easy to deduce based on events and feature releases. There is a bunch of things that we are actively chasing up and the reason there hasn't been any updates is because there has been nothing to report. As far as our launcher goes, the reality is that support for it hasn't changed in a long time, we just stopped recommending it for Windows and Mac users.
At least now the front page has been changed to reflect the reality.
I'm glad this has finally happened, but believe me when I say I'm as disappointed as you are that it has taken 10 days to get a word removed from our front page.

Reactions: Padfoote

bgh251f2

Jul 29, 2019
I'm glad this has finally happened, but believe me when I say I'm as disappointed as you are that it has taken 10 days to get a word removed from our front page.

Try 4+ months. Because slowpoke said he would look into it(on reddit) since the day they changed the links.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Actually, so far there have been 3 launchers, one of which you shouldn't have realized it was a new version (the current one). This introduced that minecraft got its own java included with its launcher and for the rest works exactly the same as the previous one.

However, last time I heard about that it was said that this version wouldn't be made for linux for various reasons however the launcher would still be updated like normal, it just wouldn't have its own java included.

That is the only thing I can imaging @Hambeau talking about however this was ages ago and I have no idea if it changed.

Mojang just announced beta on a new launcher version yesterday, that apparently will include a Linux version, along with launching the Java runtime (if not overridden). I'll see if I can find the tweet I saw and edit into this post.

[Edit]

Last edited:

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Mojang just announced beta on a new launcher version yesterday, that apparently will include a Linux version, along with launching the Java runtime (if not overridden). I'll see if I can find the tweet I saw and edit into this post.

[Edit]
I know of that one but that isn't the one I am talking about
you first had the old 1.2.5 launcher (probably some more before that but I didn't play since then so not sure about that)
eventually this changed to the launcher you now know. However at this time it did not yet have the java included. (second launcher)
Some time later mojang added its own java to it (the third "launcher")
However, the last time I read anything about this it did not include its own java for Linux. However once again I am not sure if that ever changed.

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
Well complaining on Curse is simply not worth, it isn't them that are deprecating the launcher without having a talk about what alternative would be provided, and Curse never promised anything about Linux, FTB did, so why would I go to Curse? At least now the front page has been changed to reflect the reality.

My main point remains the same. Complaining at this stage, 4+ months, has zero effect on the matter. You may as well be telling a brick wall to be a bunch of feathers. Promise or not from ftb, the actual action on it had to come from curse, not ftb. From my understanding of the situation, curse has had other focuses and continues to have other focuses. Till those are complete to the satisfaction of curse... a Linux launcher from curse is secondary. My condolences on that fact, but as I see it... that's what Linux users have to understand. Hopefully I'm wrong... I wish that all ftb players can use curse successfully. But I still suggest not holding your breath

Reactions: Padfoote

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I know of that one but that isn't the one I am talking about
you first had the old 1.2.5 launcher (probably some more before that but I didn't play since then so not sure about that)
eventually this changed to the launcher you now know. However at this time it did not yet have the java included. (second launcher)
Some time later mojang added its own java to it (the third "launcher")
However, the last time I read anything about this it did not include its own java for Linux. However once again I am not sure if that ever changed.

Here's what I originally read.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/...us_test_the_new_minecraft_launcher_check_the/

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
Could someone please answer my questions from above?
This has been answered a few times which is why most likely not been re answered. I will try to though. Your first question seems weird but there are drop down menu to make search for packs easier. As for the 3rd party packs any pack that isn't a FTB pack is a 3rd party pack. I don't see why you would need a 3rd tab for those. Also the 3rd party dev is responsible for posting a link for the launcher after the final move to the curse launcher happens so you will have to ask them for the link if the dev doesn't want to post to the curse app. As for the old packs again that would be a question for those pack devs. I assume you will still get access somehow. Also I will Note: The Curse app is NOT a FTB app. They have little say on what happens to it and any complaints about the app should be posted on the curse forums. Why, because posting complaints here will not get any thing done as they have little control on the curse app. This would include the Linux thing. Harping at FTB team will not get curse employees working fast on it. They also have no control on the minecraft launcher. For that you would need to post to the Minecraft support forums. They have already said there will always be a way to access the 3rd party packs that don't opted into the curse app. If yu don't want to use the curse app you will need to ask the pack dev to include the link for the launcher. That is if the plan still goes as they have planned which is still in limbo on whether that is so or not. Also there has been news as there is a new 1.10.2 pack from Hermitcraft. It is on the current FTB launcher and is recommended to allocate 4 gb of ram for the Mod pack just fyi!

Last edited:

bgh251f2

Jul 29, 2019
My main point remains the same. Complaining at this stage, 4+ months, has zero effect on the matter. You may as well be telling a brick wall to be a bunch of feathers. Promise or not from ftb, the actual action on it had to come from curse, not ftb. From my understanding of the situation, curse has had other focuses and continues to have other focuses. Till those are complete to the satisfaction of curse... a Linux launcher from curse is secondary. My condolences on that fact, but as I see it... that's what Linux users have to understand. Hopefully I'm wrong... I wish that all ftb players can use curse successfully. But I still suggest not holding your breath

I have not started to complain now, I have been complaining since the beginning. I've been avoiding to play any ftb pack and have been steering people away from them because I simply don't know if I will be able to play ftb packs in the future because the ftb team is being silent all the time. As for the action having to come from Curse, no, it has not. FTB is the only one who made any commitment. And would not be the first time they would go back on their words if they didn't but the silence is what is upsetting.

Quetzi

Jack of All Trades
Retired Staff
Aug 20, 2012
quetzi.tv
We have always said that there will always be a way to play FTB packs on Linux, nothing has happened that is going to change that or implies that that situation is likely to change. The main bone of contention right now appears to be that third party packs aren't currently all being made available on the FTB launcher and as a result aren't playable by Linux users. We committed to make our packs playable on Linux, that doesn't include third party packs, where those packs are available is on those individual pack devs. We can't dictate where other people put their packs.

I've seen a lot of comments about us being silent and not commenting yet I know I've been active in this thread, as has Watchful. Why do you think we are being silent? More to the point, what more can we do to dispel this illusion of silence?