FTB Horizons - General Feedback Thread

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
I think it's an aptly named pack, because it's definitely going to encourage people to try/invent new ways of doing things. I haven't heard of or played with several of these mods, myself!

I've clicked on a few streams of people playing it. One guy seemed to be in total disbelief that there was no IC2, Dartcraft, or Buildcraft. He didn't know how he would get resources without a quarry. I honestly think he was completely reconsidering whether he wanted to be playing that pack.

Quite oppositely, a different guy was trying to play it, realized he didn't really have any idea what he was doing with some of these mods, and went to creative mode to play around. He seemed to like it and kept trying to get one of his friends to play it with him as well. He also stumbled onto that Advanced Genetics mod crash, but I was able to let him know that it was a known issue.

I think the pack will be enjoyable for new people, or those who are completely bored of starting/playing the game the same way. Others who are more set in their ways however will likely completely hate it. But that's why there's multiple packs, because not every pack is for everybody, so to each his own.

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a list of mods supported by the configs. I'm not gonna be able to download the pack for a while.

On the subject of the pack I find it's directionless nature somewhat offputting and I don't think I'll be starting a world in it. However it's informed me of new mods and I'm glad some mods are now spotlighted.

What are the other packs? If I were to guess I'd say Magic Farm, Unleased, Unhinged, Magic World 2 and Tech World 2, is that what to expect? If so we'd be lacking a good adventure pack. The closest thing we got to one of those was RPG Immersion (but it only had 2 mods in). Is one in the works?

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
I think it's an aptly named pack, because it's definitely going to encourage people to try/invent new ways of doing things. I haven't heard of or played with several of these mods, myself!

I've clicked on a few streams of people playing it. One guy seemed to be in total disbelief that there was no IC2, Dartcraft, or Buildcraft. He didn't know how he would get resources without a quarry. I honestly think he was completely reconsidering whether he wanted to be playing that pack.

Quite oppositely, a different guy was trying to play it, realized he didn't really have any idea what he was doing with some of these mods, and went to creative mode to play around. He seemed to like it and kept trying to get one of his friends to play it with him as well. He also stumbled onto that Advanced Genetics mod crash, but I was able to let him know that it was a known issue.

I think the pack will be enjoyable for new people, or those who are completely bored of starting/playing the game the same way. Others who are more set in their ways however will likely completely hate it. But that's why there's multiple packs, because not every pack is for everybody, so to each his own.

One of our goals with this round of modpacks is to have less "Its only slightly different from the others" packs. Eyamaz and I are very committed to trying to give each pack it own feel. Which means we are not going to keep mods in just because "its traditional". Of course there will probably still be the traditional large pack . But the smaller packs will all be a bit different. There are a lot of really good new mods that sometimes get overlooked due to loyalty to old favorites.

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019

This guy upsets me. How in a game called Minecraft did he not consider mining an option. The quarry made resource gathering too easy, IMHO. There's also great alternetives from Thaumcraft and other mods.

Reactions: RandomMoped

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a list of mods supported by the configs. I'm not gonna be able to download the pack for a while.

On the subject of the pack I find it's directionless nature somewhat offputting and I don't think I'll be starting a world in it. However it's informed me of new mods and I'm glad some mods are now spotlighted.

What are the other packs? If I were to guess I'd say Magic Farm, Unleased, Unhinged, Magic World 2 and Tech World 2, is that what to expect? If so we'd be lacking a good adventure pack. The closest thing we got to one of those was RPG Immersion (but it only had 2 mods in). Is one in the works?

link to list of modpacks currently planned http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/why-no-new-launcher.35040/page-13#post-487274

And no right now I don't have a list of all the mods covered.. my fingers huuurt

We have no packs planned based on Unhinged.

Reactions: jokermatt999

wha-ha-ha

Jul 29, 2019
Whilst this pack is mostly new mods, there were a few included because honestly it was felt that the functionalty they provide (such as AE, NEI, Inventory Tweaks, Extra Utilities were funtions that were not really available from other mods and were important enough to include as standards in most packs.

For what it's worth:

I feel like, for this pack at least, swapping AE out for Logistics Pipes would fit the pack a lot better given the mod set and the theme. It'd bring another mod into the pack that most people aren't used to using or seeing in the spotlight while still covering the functionality that AE offers.

As an aside, I feel similarly about the presence of AE in Magic Farm, though more for "low tech" modpack-appropriateness reasons in that case.

XEqualsPenguin

Jul 29, 2019
I like the modpack so far. I'm trying out the Biomes O' Plenty world type and enjoying building with cherry trees. The aesthetic possibilities appear to be endless. (Not just referring to the trees. Ores, machines, everything)

tedyhere

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I totally understand that. As for the pack, I think it's great. It is definitely good to see some of the newer mods produced in an FTB pack. Will it be my go to pack? Probably not. For me this pack is perfect for when my primary pack is starting to feel stagnant.

So far, the pack is working great, has a nice mixture of mods of different themes and runs well. Kudos to all that have worked on it and looking forward even more now for the rest!

You've watched me test the crap out of this pack so you know it's *mostly* good. There may be problems here and there. This is BY FAR one of my favorite packs I have tested next to Magic Farm. If I could get Jaded to put Engineers Toolbox in Magic Farm it would be no contest lol. Blood Magic and Engineers Toolbox are two of my favorite new mods, add in Metallurgy and Metallurgy For Tinkers Construct and this pack is pretty tight..

Also you are most welcome Greevir I put in about 40 hours in a short time testing this pack and hope I made it better.[DOUBLEPOST=1386555043][/DOUBLEPOST]
ya well the best mod i would say that is ATG only thing is i don't see hardly anyone here using it i looked on streams non of them are using it because no one is going to go and change world type to ATG be for they make a world so no one is going to end up testing that mod so sad :( also other amazing mods are all of ProMobius mods his mod can take a server running 4gb ram with 70 mods and it ends up using 1gb of ram instead with all 70. I have not used this pack yet i have used those mods so can't say anything else yet on the others working on testing it out now.
Watch my stream I use ATG exclusively on this pack, always have and always will.[DOUBLEPOST=1386555122][/DOUBLEPOST]
For what it's worth:

I feel like, for this pack at least, swapping AE out for Logistics Pipes would fit the pack a lot better given the mod set and the theme. It'd bring another mod into the pack that most people aren't used to using or seeing in the spotlight while still covering the functionality that AE offers.

As an aside, I feel similarly about the presence of AE in Magic Farm, though more for "low tech" modpack-appropriateness reasons in that case.

There is no buildcraft which Logistics Pipes is dependent on. There are many other ways to transport items around including TE's new Item Ducts along with Ender IO item transport systems, though I am not sure if that version is in the pack right now.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
For what it's worth:

Logi pipes requires buildcraft...

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
You've watched me test the crap out of this pack so you know it's *mostly* good. There may be problems here and there. This is BY FAR one of my favorite packs I have tested next to Magic Farm. If I could get Jaded to put Engineers Toolbox in Magic Farm it would be no contest lol. Blood Magic and Engineers Toolbox are two of my favorite new mods, add in Metallurgy and Metallurgy For Tinkers Construct and this pack is pretty tight..

Also you are most welcome Greevir I put in about 40 hours in a short time testing this pack and hope I made it better.[DOUBLEPOST=1386555043][/DOUBLEPOST]
Watch my stream I use ATG exclusively on this pack, always have and always will.[DOUBLEPOST=1386555122][/DOUBLEPOST]

There is no buildcraft which Logistics Pipes is dependent on. There are many other ways to transport items around including TE's new Item Ducts along with Ender IO item transport systems, though I am not sure if that version is in the pack right now.

40 hours in a short space of time? Are you bored yet? If I played that amount in under a week I'd be very offput for a while (I don't know ho long you played for).

Does ATG still generate biomes from BoP, EBXL and Highlands?

tedyhere

Jul 29, 2019
{removed offtopic post}

40 hours in a short space of time? Are you bored yet? If I played that amount in under a week I'd be very offput for a while (I don't know ho long you played for).

Does ATG still generate biomes from BoP, EBXL and Highlands?

It generates biomes from BoP fine yes. The others I am not sure as we did not test those. Also as to the testing, no I barely scratched the surface of this modpack in 40 hours. There is so much to do and interactions that possibilities are endless. Get bored of tech, Blood Magic when you get far enough has a auto-mining feature :D Bet you didn't guess that one.

PiggyWhiskey

Jul 29, 2019
tbh I didn't even know there was a new modpack becuase I haven't used the FTB Launcher in a while.
when I do play Unleashed I tend to have different instances in a different launcher to allow a 1.1.7 version as well as 1.1.4 version for the different servers I play on.
Otherwise i'd be downloading 2/3 modpacks every day -.-
But its excellent to see progress with the new modpacks.

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
Ok umm why are you advertising another launcher here? <shakes head>[DOUBLEPOST=1386555498][/DOUBLEPOST]

It generates biomes from BoP fine yes. The others I am not sure as we did not test those. Also as to the testing, no I barely scratched the surface of this modpack in 40 hours. There is so much to do and interactions that possibilities are endless. Get bored of tech, Blood Magic when you get far enough has a auto-mining feature :D Bet you didn't guess that one.

That's greatly suprising. How does it work.

When I can I'll test out the other biome mods. ATG looks so kick-ass. Honestly never seen better and only heard of it today.

tedyhere

Jul 29, 2019
It pulls up ores from an area the sized of the ritual for you to harvest, or there is another ritual you can place inside that one to auto harvest IIRC Don't quote me on that one tho :p I think 3x3 and 5x5 are the sizes, not sure if it can go bigger but I assume it can

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
It pulls up ores from an area the sized of the ritual for you to harvest, or there is another ritual you can place inside that one to auto harvest IIRC Don't quote me on that one tho :p I think 3x3 and 5x5 are the sizes, not sure if it can go bigger but I assume it can

Sounds... Typical of Blood Magic. So fun.[DOUBLEPOST=1386556421][/DOUBLEPOST]
Well I'm a buffoon who overlooks obvious things.

I guess I do sometimes dream of it being standalone, though~~

I don't think I'd like Buildcraft pipes/Buildcraft-style pipes without Buildcraft.

WayofTime

Jul 29, 2019
That is correct, my good sir!

Reactions: Mevansuto
Status
Not open for further replies.