FTB - Curse Update

DeadlyPeanut

Jul 29, 2019
Two words:
Curse Premium

If you can stay by your word that EVERYTHING! the FTB client offers now, it will still offer without curse premium. Then im perfectly fine with it and best of luck to ya :) Also if you wanted to throw some minimally invasive adds go for it, make a few bucks. But that can easily get carried away fast. One day its a small little add in the corner. The next day god forbid you accidentally scroll over it and it expands the size to half your screen and starts playing audio.

DIMentia

Jul 29, 2019
As far as multi-app clients: We've found repeatedly in the past that if you try to support multiple OSes with one app, they end up all being subpar or even just straight crappy.

The irony is that this statement is made in a context with a game that is ported cross-platform about a loader that is basically just supposed to fetch and install mods for it that are also ported cross platform.

What features above and beyond fetching files and copying them to a folder are intended for this client that will make it so difficult to port cross platform?

Let me see if I understand the proposed model from Curse' perspective...

1) Outlay development money for an installer, bandwidth, and storage...
2) Make the installer functional for free, and don't charge the user for anything that has actual utility.
3) ???
4) Profit

Somewhere in the bowels of Curse' corporate office, either the bean-counters are spurting blood from their eyes, or "several people" are laughing their butts off over what "cosmetic" paywall might possibly mean.

I have nothing nice to say about Curse. I have experienced shenanigans on the Curse site from advertisers that I can only characterize as exploitative (in the java exception exploit sense). I really don't know whether this is shadiness or just ineptitude.
Even gaining access to my own registered account took months.

I deeply respect and appreciate the efforts that everyone at FTB have put into rallying the modding community and bringing it closer
I trust FTB.
I actively distrust Curse and I suspect that this will end in a debacle of epic magnitude.

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Last edited:

Mootymoomoo

Jul 29, 2019
I think Curse may be getting a bit of unfair bad press, im not a fan boy by any means and still as an ex-wow player am a little miffed over their handling of the wow matrix escapade.
I have watched curse grow to a large gaming community and remember it as it was in the beginning a small team doing for wow very much what ftb has and still does for minecraft.
Putting addons into wow has always been easier than adding mods to minecraft, less conflicts for example, any standardization of this process is a good thing, and with ftb focusing on what they do best, compiling mod packs and maps, while allowing for an easy way for the user to expand upon them is a good idea, let curse handle all the fiddly bits and ftb the fun bits.
It is a good move in my opinion especially with the no adds on the launcher and cosmetic only premium options, minecraft is pretty rock solid in terms of anyone but Mojang making money from it, let curse worry bout their cash flow, and we can just build away.

Reactions: egor66

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
So we've seen the goodies that Technic's new launcher/platform will offer, but I think there's one thing which Technic would still lack compared to the proposed Curse system: modder rewards. Though that got me thinking about Curse and the reward points system in regards to modpacks, as well as just general download statistics.

I initially assumed that all mods downloaded through modpacks on the new Curse launcher would still count as regular downloads for modders. But I'm not sure exactly how fair the current system would work, when you think about it. I mean, points are rewarded based on downloads, and there's a apparently a finite number of points in the pool to be distributed across the mods. The new FTB would likely result in many new mods getting added to Curse, diluting the points pool even further. But if a particular pack is very popular, then all of those mods would then get a particular advantage over other mods which might not be included in packs, or included in packs not as popular. Everything would be skewed based on pack popularity, not mod popularity.

For myself, my Hopper Ducts mod is included in various FTB packs, but Redstone Paste isn't. FTB packs would bump Hopper Duct's popularity up above Redstone Paste in such a system, even though currently Redstone Paste is far more popular than Hopper Ducts (even on Curse), and took far more time to develop. To some degree I couldn't personally complain, I would still be getting credit/points/etc for a mod. But that doesn't take into account the fairness of a simple mod like Hopper Ducts getting more popularity than someone else's much more complex mod which doesn't have the advantage of being in a popular pack.

So both in terms of download statistics as well as Curse points, how exactly would mod downloads be handled in regards to modpacks? Will every download/update of a modpack that includes a certain mod still be the equivalent of someone downloading the mod separately? Will modpack downloads not count at all? Will some new system be implemented altogether?

And similarly, will the developer be able to see which modpacks have resulted in how many downloads? That would be a nice statistic. I have no idea how popular any of the modpacks are that my mods have gone in, not even FTB. So I think it would be cool to finally be able to see numbers on that kind of thing.

Kaelten

Jul 29, 2019
So we've seen the goodies that Technic's new launcher/platform will offer, but I think there's one thing which Technic would still lack compared to the proposed Curse system: modder rewards. Though that got me thinking about Curse and the reward points system in regards to modpacks, as well as just general download statistics.

I initially assumed that all mods downloaded through modpacks on the new Curse launcher would still count as regular downloads for modders. But I'm not sure exactly how fair the current system would work, when you think about it. I mean, points are rewarded based on downloads, and there's a apparently a finite number of points in the pool to be distributed across the mods. The new FTB would likely result in many new mods getting added to Curse, diluting the points pool even further. But if a particular pack is very popular, then all of those mods would then get a particular advantage over other mods which might not be included in packs, or included in packs not as popular. Everything would be skewed based on pack popularity, not mod popularity.

For myself, my Hopper Ducts mod is included in various FTB packs, but Redstone Paste isn't. FTB packs would bump Hopper Duct's popularity up above Redstone Paste in such a system, even though currently Redstone Paste is far more popular than Hopper Ducts (even on Curse), and took far more time to develop. To some degree I couldn't personally complain, I would still be getting credit/points/etc for a mod. But that doesn't take into account the fairness of a simple mod like Hopper Ducts getting more popularity than someone else's much more complex mod which doesn't have the advantage of being in a popular pack.

So both in terms of download statistics as well as Curse points, how exactly would mod downloads be handled in regards to modpacks? Will every download/update of a modpack that includes a certain mod still be the equivalent of someone downloading the mod separately? Will modpack downloads not count at all? Will some new system be implemented altogether?

And similarly, will the developer be able to see which modpacks have resulted in how many downloads? That would be a nice statistic. I have no idea how popular any of the modpacks are that my mods have gone in, not even FTB. So I think it would be cool to finally be able to see numbers on that kind of thing.

So you're right in that mods will get credited for the downloads of packs that contain the mod. This will show up in their downloads and popularity stat, and would affect their point generation as the system stands. There are multiple options for us to help make sure this is handled in a 'fair' fashion. Fairness is actually the overarching goal of the program, so we'll be examining the affect of these packs on point generation before we turn on the feature. We could blacklist or weight the effects of downloads in such a way to stop certain or all packs from shifting the balance too much. I will point out however that while we go for fairness it is a popularity contest, and as such won't always be commiserate with the amount of effort a mod takes to product. So to sum up, I don't know exactly, but know we're thinking on this facet of the formula. :)

As far as the dilution of the point distribution, overall downloads also affect the size of the point pool. So this will scale up in time. Will the distribution shift? Yes absolutely, but we'll keep the pool large enough so that the program as a whole isn't dramatically affected.

We've not had a request for that type of analytics, but I think that's an amazing idea and we'll be finding a way to bring that to ecosystem in the future. :)

Reactions: FyberOptic

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013

Nice post! A concern was raised over the backstage operation of the new launcher in a concise manner, with valid examples give from the poster's own experiences. The post elicited a response from the new host's representative indicating that they are considering how to proceed with the statistics involved.

I give it a 9.9, considering "There Ain't no Tens" (obscure novelty song reference).

On to the disrailment derailment (pre-caffeine post):

No offense to anyone, being a Linux/Unix fan myself (4 older laptops running linux or Solaris, plus I own original Yggdrasil distro discs), but I saw this episode of Red Dwarf again last night and the conversation reminded me of something...

Last edited:
Reactions: rhn and FyberOptic

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
So you're right in that mods will get credited for the downloads of packs that contain the mod. This will show up in their downloads and popularity stat, and would affect their point generation as the system stands. There are multiple options for us to help make sure this is handled in a 'fair' fashion. Fairness is actually the overarching goal of the program, so we'll be examining the affect of these packs on point generation before we turn on the feature. We could blacklist or weight the effects of downloads in such a way to stop certain or all packs from shifting the balance too much. I will point out however that while we go for fairness it is a popularity contest, and as such won't always be commiserate with the amount of effort a mod takes to product. So to sum up, I don't know exactly, but know we're thinking on this facet of the formula. :)

I would agree that fairness and popularity don't always go hand in hand, which makes it tricky, but I'm at least glad to see Curse has already taken the issue into consideration. Giving modders full download credit for what's in packs is definitely reasonable, especially since the mod is technically still being downloaded, regardless of whether it's in a pack, and it's impossible to know how much a particular mod is actually used in-game. (Unless ProfMobius has been adding new magic to Opis that I don't know about!)

The usefulness of a particular mod is also completely relative to the pack itself. i.e. a skyblock map might make far more use of even a small mod to achieve the particular gameplay style compared to a standard large pack, magical mods would take precedence in a magic-themed pack, etc. So in terms of fairness, I guess you're getting into pretty difficult territory, since it's almost impossible to know the importance of a mod in helping to carry out the pack's theme.

Doing the "every download counts" approach is probably also important for Curse in regards to making the platform appeal to modders who haven't uploaded theirs yet, which I can also see the significance of early on.

I realize I'm basically contradicting my previous concerns, but that's what happens when you make a post at 4 AM!

Nice post! ... I give it a 9.9, considering "There Ain't no Tens" (obscure novelty song reference).

Awesome, thanks! I want to thank my family, my friends, my fans, the people at FTB, and of course I thank Notch for making this day possible. I also want to use this opportunity to deny the allegations of using the performance-enhancing drug "caffeine."

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
I would agree that fairness and popularity don't always go hand in hand, which makes it tricky, but I'm at least glad to see Curse has already taken the issue into consideration. Giving modders full download credit for what's in packs is definitely reasonable, especially since the mod is technically still being downloaded, regardless of whether it's in a pack, and it's impossible to know how much a particular mod is actually used in-game. (Unless ProfMobius has been adding new magic to Opis that I don't know about!)

The usefulness of a particular mod is also completely relative to the pack itself. i.e. a skyblock map might make far more use of even a small mod to achieve the particular gameplay style compared to a standard large pack, magical mods would take precedence in a magic-themed pack, etc. So in terms of fairness, I guess you're getting into pretty difficult territory, since it's almost impossible to know the importance of a mod in helping to carry out the pack's theme.

Doing the "every download counts" approach is probably also important for Curse in regards to making the platform appeal to modders who haven't uploaded theirs yet, which I can also see the significance of early on.

I realize I'm basically contradicting my previous concerns, but that's what happens when you make a post at 4 AM!

Awesome, thanks! I want to thank my family, my friends, my fans, the people at FTB, and of course I thank Notch for making this day possible. I also want to use this opportunity to deny the allegations of using the performance-enhancing drug "caffeine."

The part I am concerned about is "youtuber packs" . I already rambled at @Kaelten about it. Packs like DW20 will always have high downloads because they have a built in audience. So if a mod is picked by DW or another major youtuber it will automatically end up with a much higher download count than one in a less well known pack like say Agrarian Skies. On the other hand the mod being in a youtube pack doesn't mean people want to play it. It means 1 very well known person wants to play it and is including it in a pack all their fans are probably going to play at least once. I do not believe its fair for mod authors to have to interest the youtubers for the mod to get more downloads. I also personally do not find it fair that a large youtubers can completely change which mod authors are considered "popular". I personally feel that packs with a built in audience, like DW20, Mindcrack etc need to be weighted in a way to make sure that one person is not having too much influence on which mod authors get downloads. Otherwise seeing as a youtube pack would mane higher downloads mod authors won't have incentive o keep creating new and fun mods. Instead they will have incentive to try and get in a youtube pack for the free advertising.

I think the best option might be to see

• In youtube packs, does this mod show up in multiple modpacks not just in 1 or 2 youtube packs?
  • What's the built in audience of the youtuber? Is the pack being downloaded by significantly more people than their fan base?
So in that example a mod that only showed up in the DW20 pack and 1 other would not have as much of a popularity boost as a mod that showed up in several smaller but well performing packs. A pack that is only being downloaded by the subscribers of a single youtuber means that the youtuber is popular not that the mod is popular. A pack where its being downloaded by a large number of people outside the built in fan base would suggest the mod or combination of mods is popular not the face behind the pack.

Summary: I do not want to see a youtuber getting to determine "popularity" of mods and the direction of modding just because they make a pack of their favorite mods and their fans play it because they like the youtuber. It only makes modders want to get the youtubers attention as opposed to making great mods.

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
So if a mod is picked by DW or another major youtuber it will automatically end up with a much higher download count than one in a less well known pack like say Agrarian Skies.
Summary: I do not want to see a youtuber getting to determine "popularity" of mods and the direction of modding just because they make a pack of their favorite mods and their fans play it because they like the youtuber. It only makes modders want to get the youtubers attention as opposed to making great mods.

Twitch streamers are a similar thing. After Bacon Donut put Hopper Ducts into Sky Factory it saw a huge jump in downloads. This is despite the fact that it's disabled by default, which is also the only reason I ever even knew it was popular because for what ever reason ATLauncher then pulled the mod from my download link when adding it into the pack. One look at the Minecraft streams on Twitch shows how influential a single streamer can be on pack/mod popularity, because Sky Factory is being played by quite a few other streamers on there as well.

When they're able to implement per-pack statistics then maybe they can weight how popular a mod is based on both its individual download count as well as its inclusion in modpacks. I guess we won't really know how things will be affected though until we see it in action.

Reactions: YX33A

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
The part I am concerned about is "youtuber packs"... I do not believe its fair for mod authors to have to interest the youtubers for the mod to get more downloads.
I think that that is inevitable. All communities have opinion makers, people who for whatever reason right or wrong have been raised to a position of great influence. I don't see how any artificial system can be devised to counteract this trend, for sheeple to look to a shepherd(ess) to tell them what to think. Me-e-e-e-eh!

Reactions: Hambeau and YX33A

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
Twitch streamers are a similar thing. After Bacon Donut put Hopper Ducts into Sky Factory it saw a huge jump in downloads. This is despite the fact that it's disabled by default, which is also the only reason I ever even knew it was popular because for what ever reason ATLauncher then pulled the mod from my download link when adding it into the pack. One look at the Minecraft streams on Twitch shows how influential a single streamer can be on pack/mod popularity, because Sky Factory is being played by quite a few other streamers on there as well.

When they're able to implement per-pack statistics then maybe they can weight how popular a mod is based on both its individual download count as well as its inclusion in modpacks. I guess we won't really know how things will be affected though until we see it in action.

Sky Factory is actually a good example. Bacon has a lot of fans, and his version of Sky Factory got a lot of play off the bat. I have nowhere near the fan base of Bacon. Agrarian Skies (previously named Sky Factory) was released first and took time to build up momentum but now its arguably a more popular pack. It can be a bit confusing to figure out since there are a lot of streamers and youtubers recording Agrarian Skies as Sky Factory due to Bacon releasing his pack under the name AS was already known by*shrug*. (Yay confusion)

Streamers are actually a bit different than youtubers. Several streamers have released "subscriber" packs or "stream" packs. They always have a sharp spike in interest and than drop off and fade into oblivion. Youtuber packs on the other hand DW20, Mindcrack etc come back time after time version after version, and their fans play along. None of the current batch of streamers has the pull to make a pack as successful as the DW20 pack. They just don't have the fan base. I think part of it is that while twitch archives broadcasts most people don't watch old streams. Whereas youtube videos are pre-recorded and people can watch them at any time.

I think the way to weight it would be on whether the download of the pack keeps going up or if it hits a point and stops because the built in fan base are the only ones interested.

I also think it should have a weight value based on how many widely used packs it is in.

It is an interesting side note the only pack released by a streamer that has lasted through minecraft versions and grown in popularity is Magic Farm . Which had less to do with me streaming it and more to do with it being a pack that relied on gameplay and not a name backing it. Stream packs just don't have the pull of youtube. They peak early and fizzle out quickly unless they have more than just a stream fan base.[DOUBLEPOST=1396208402][/DOUBLEPOST]
I think that that is inevitable. All communities have opinion makers, people who for whatever reason right or wrong have been raised to a position of great influence. I don't see how any artificial system can be devised to counteract this trend, for sheeple to look to a shepherd(ess) to tell them what to think. Me-e-e-e-eh!

But we have a chance now starting on the ground floor to find a way to do it.

Lots of people don't know what Forge is... or think its part of minecraft. No offense to @FyberOptic but I would say Forge is more important than Hopper Ducts regardless of if people know what it is. (Sorry Fyber)

Reactions: Padfoote

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
Agrarian Skies (previously named Sky Factory) was released first and took time to build up momentum but now its arguably a more popular pack. It can be a bit confusing to figure out since there are a lot of streamers and youtubers recording Agrarian Skies as Sky Factory due to Bacon releasing his pack under the name AS was already known by*shrug*. (Yay confusion)

I never even realized the name overlap. Who knows how many of the ones I've seen are actually playing your pack, then.

Lots of people don't know what Forge is... or think its part of minecraft. No offense to @FyberOptic but I would say Forge is more important than Hopper Ducts regardless of if people know what it is. (Sorry Fyber)

I've heard that mods don't tend to work when Forge isn't installed, so you may be onto something! I think people know less about what MCP is that Forge, even, despite that being pretty darn important as well. Unfortunately I don't see how MCP would ever benefit from modpack downloads like Forge can.

Though if Hopper Ducts and my Minecraft alpha 1.1.2 deobfuscation project have code babies then it will usher in a new age of modding. You'll never have to worry about biome/potion/enchantment/dimension ID conflicts again because they don't exist.

uh20

Jul 29, 2019
i decided to wait for 13 pages to put in my input, i am soo sorry that im going to have to invoke the 'linux' word for the ~180th time but that's what i'm using and so there is some concern.
Curse is obviously not obligated to rip up its code and start from QT-scratch. but for the most part, we still need access to the packs and preferably a UI

Starting with packages first, make that repo and for jeb's sake HAVE AN AUTOMATED SCRIPT help you out to package the game into adorable .debs and .tar.gzs . under standard naming you should be able to make packages called ftb-{pack}-{version} and update the repo in a click.

i would be glad if one of the Curse/FTB members would quickly whip up a UI to administer the minecraft login, download and run. however this can be left in a minimal state and the community, me included, could throw down some crap-looking button panel in an attempt to act as if we never need to use the terminal.

Reactions: Jadedcat

02JanDal

Jul 29, 2019
i decided to wait for 13 pages to put in my input, i am soo sorry that im going to have to invoke the 'linux' word for the ~180th time but that's what i'm using and so there is some concern.
Curse is obviously not obligated to rip up its code and start from QT-scratch. but for the most part, we still need access to the packs and preferably a UI
As the new client would be written from scratch this does not apply.
Starting with packages first, make that repo and for jeb's sake HAVE AN AUTOMATED SCRIPT help you out to package the game into adorable .debs and .tar.gzs . under standard naming you should be able to make packages called ftb-{pack}-{version} and update the repo in a click.
.deb/.rpm/.whatever won't really fit for modpacks.
i would be glad if one of the Curse/FTB members would quickly whip up a UI to administer the minecraft login, download and run. however this can be left in a minimal state and the community, me included, could throw down some crap-looking button panel in an attempt to act as if we never need to use the terminal.
From what I gather there are many more features planned than what would be possible with standard packages and I really hope they plan something more than a "crap-looking button panel".

Captainnana

Jul 29, 2019

Packages like that will be something we'll be looking into, as mentioned before however we will not be creating a launcher for minecraft so therefore we will not be handling the downloading and launching of minecraft, the mojang client will be doing that we will simply download and install the mods with our client.

I understand that everyone has their own pet languages, personally I really like node-webkit right now but honestly I couldn't care less what it's written in, java, C++, C#, node-webkit, whatever. At the end of the day Curse management have to make an executive decision on how they want to work their client development and what they do with their own client is up to them, if any gaps are left by their implementation then they are required to create an API so that those wholes can be filled in my understanding.

Reactions: Nerixel

Dungeonmaster372

Jul 29, 2019
Hello Everyone,

Dunge here, after reading up on this news post I want to introduce myself and to ask a few questions myself. I have read all 13 pages here on many different arguments for the new client and the forums and handling of modpacks in general. I am very new to the game of developing modpacks myself. I am still fresh on youtube. I know from the last few posts that there was a small concern on youtubers upping the ante for the popularity of certain mods. I have a few questions on the continued conversation at hand and I hope that you guys can answer with out biting my head off considering that my knowledge is limited due to amount of time spent on mods and modpacks and the development of modpacks. I know that my first question may have been answered already but I would like to see a specific reference since I may have misinterpreted what I have read here so far.

1. Is there going to be an easy way to upload and update modpacks for download? IE one on one submission to a post in a forums somewhere?
  2. will I have to go through the approval process again for my private pack?
  3. if I don't have to go through the approval process will I have to pay premiums for access to uploading updates or have to reacquire permissions for my modpack again?

I am not a fan of curse as well. I have tried using curse before and it was very confusing and didn't like the ads cluttering up everything never really been to their site other than to obtain their client (while back and here recently[yesterday]). plus with all that I tried using curse to run minecraft and recording software and it seemed that in the background running there was a lot of cpu usage that came from the curse client running in the background. I am not saying I am totally against the change to curse but I am just about as concerned as some of the previous posters as well. I however am a man that prides myself in giving some programs second chances I am just wanting to make sure that using the new client will not hinder my recording capabilities.

On another note as well. I am a youtuber and I dont want to sway statistics the wrong way to not give worthy mods and their developers the proper credit that is due them. I am willing to discuss this statement in pms. If anyone should wish to discuss this and help me find an effective way to make sure I do not misrepresent mods or devs in my future vids. I dont even think that my current audience would sway this at all in any way at this point (15 followers). I do however know that in the future if the ease of update ability is lost I may have to find another way to compile the mods I wish to have in my modpack and either host it myself or what not. This is not a threat but a realization I wanted to share with you. I do however know that the FTB team is and always has been an awesome group of people dedicated to providing a centralized way of getting mods and permissions and developing modpacks. I love this aspect and I too hope that spite all the uncertainty that no functionality will be lost. I will be one of the many people whom will be anxiously waiting to see what kind of fruits will come from this new venture you have put before us.

I will follow the FTB teams decision and see what happens as well. I know that this team hasn't failed us yet, nor do I see it happening in the future. HooRah FTB!!!

In closing thanks for the many fun memories I have faced so far and I hope to see many more in the near future.

Your Friend,
Dunge

Captainnana

Jul 29, 2019
Hello Everyone,

1. Is there going to be an easy way to upload and update modpacks for download? IE one on one submission to a post in a forums somewhere?
  2. will I have to go through the approval process again for my private pack?
  3. if I don't have to go through the approval process will I have to pay premiums for access to uploading updates or have to reacquire permissions for my modpack again?
1. Updating modpacks will be a lot easier but there will be no uploading, you'll essentially just select the mods you want from dropdowns and upload the configs hopefully
2. Nope, if the mods are in the list then you'll be able to include them without any approval, if they're not then I'd assume there would still be some sort of approval process but we're undecided on how that will work so far
3. You wont have to get permission in the first place because if it's in the list then permission has already been given. You will not have to pay for uploading updates and again you wont upload them, just change some dropdowns we hope