FTB - Curse Update

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Aah, unfortunate. I suppose you are in quite an unfortunate position, but do what you can with what you got. I know from personal experience how much of an arse porting a code base from one language to another (to say nothing of one framework to another) can be, so you've got my sympathy.

Kaelten

Jul 29, 2019
Aah, unfortunate. I suppose you are in quite an unfortunate position, but do what you can with what you got. I know from personal experience how much of an arse porting a code base from one language to another (to say nothing of one framework to another) can be, so you've got my sympathy.

Your sympathies are greatly appreciated, and we're not ruling out anything at this point.

StoneyMahoney

Jul 29, 2019
I've kind of skimmed through this thread and I'm having a bit of a problem seeing the upside of migrating Feed The Beast to Curse. A lot of people are focusing on the negative aspects of Curse that will be introduced, what about the positive aspects of the current launcher that will be lost? Right now the Feed The Beast launcher is feature complete and cross platform. The content distribution network appears to work quite nicely. I don't see a lot of people complaining about Minecraft account authentication being handled by a 3rd party application. What's the motivation for this change? What will the community gain from it?

Reactions: Teddy Bear

Dyonovan

Jul 29, 2019
Can we get some straight talk here. We are getting 2 different stories (or at least they seem different) from both sides of the issue.

Slowpoke: This means that the Curse Client will need to be able to offer similar functionality to what we have now.

Kaelten: Currently we have no commitment to having the client for this. (In response to a Linux Client)

So I am guessing having a client that will run on Linux is not 'similar functionality'. Curse is saying there is nothing in the commitment between FTB and Curse to support Linux.

Slowpoke, have some respect for the user community and come out and speak directly about what is going to be offered. Speaking in half truths when the company you are selling to is say they are not going to support this doesn't seem the right way to go about it.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Ok, people, lets look at this another way. Sure, we're all happy with FTB the way it is, and we'd all be delighted if Slowpoke continued to bleed himself dry paying for hosting and pleading with volunteers to help him run this huge and demanding (in more than one sense) operation. That isn't going to happen, though. So he's turned to a big professional organization to help pull him out of the quicksand that he is slowly sinking into. Now lets all back off from the demands and complaints and conspiracy theories a little, ok? Becasue the very real alternative is that the FTB people just throw in the towel and say they've had enough of all the entitlement bullshit. FTB peeps, I appreciate the sometimes horrendous job that you have taken on, and I support you fully in taking the necessary (if problematic) steps to continue to serve the community.

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
Forgive me if this was answered already, but I went back through the thread and didn't see it mentioned, and am curious about a couple of things.

First, we know that Curse needs various features that they can reserve for premium use, and from the way I understand it one of those things is limiting the number of mods you can update at one time. Somebody in this topic even mentioned that. I'm curious how exactly this works with the concept of a modpack, though. Modpacks are treated as a single entity, and use their own version numbers as certain groups of mods are updated. I think it would be havoc if the Curse client would only allow people to update mods individually if they weren't on Premium, and were actually allowed to run their games this way without fully updating the pack. Slowpoke said in the main post that bandwidth isn't going to be limited, but that doesn't imply that downloads won't be limited, so I think it's important to clarify how this system will work with modpacks involved.

Second, we initially heard that this partnership would result in an open API that would allow others to create clients to take advantage of this mod repository, probably indirectly referencing competition such as Technic or other launchers out there. But all I've really heard in this thread is of a "limited API for end users". Does this imply that a) the API, if one is even created, will be inherently limited, and/or b) that non-end users would have to register for and obtain an API key or some sort to get full functionality, similar to how social media sites do it? And if it's the latter, is it going to cost a fee? Would even the "limited API for end users" require Premium? It was mentioned that ads could be added to the launcher in the future, and I doubt Curse would want to freely allow other launchers to exist which would take away from that income while still taking advantage of their services. I'm also curious when exactly this API, if it's developed, would become available after the launch of this new client.

This is supposed to be the platform that modders will use in the long-term, so I think that knowing how this will work in the long-term are the kinds of answers we need to know.

EDIT: I don't want my rather blunt questioning to imply that I'm mad or anything, I just genuinely want to know what this all means for people. If this system works as well as everyone hopes, then I actually get a benefit out of it. Currently I don't get anything from having mods in modpacks, but through Curse I would/do. I can't complain about that aspect, and hope this platform can be a good thing for modders as well as users under the right circumstances.

Last edited:

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
It's been said a few times that there will be cosmetic features for premium users, but nothing that prevents users from accessing mods, or key features ;)

Not preventing users from accessing mods or key features still doesn't answer whether packs will be updated as a whole.

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, people, lets look at this another way. Sure, we're all happy with FTB the way it is, and we'd all be delighted if Slowpoke continued to bleed himself dry paying for hosting and pleading with volunteers to help him run this huge and demanding (in more than one sense) operation. That isn't going to happen, though. So he's turned to a big professional organization to help pull him out of the quicksand that he is slowly sinking into. Now lets all back off from the demands and complaints and conspiracy theories a little, ok? Becasue the very real alternative is that the FTB people just throw in the towel and say they've had enough of all the entitlement bullshit. FTB peeps, I appreciate the sometimes horrendous job that you have taken on, and I support you fully in taking the necessary (if problematic) steps to continue to serve the community.

Oh no THEY got to you too! But seriously, I can understand the partnership. What I'm hoping is FTB influences Curse moreover than Curse influences FTB. The FTB team has cultivated a great modding community. One that even I as a largely SSP or super private SMP player have been enjoying being a particpant in. Curse has a lot to gain by adopting whatever it is that makes this community work. It may even want to apply some of that to their current offerings.

Curse can just be functioning as an infrastructure to make the scale of FTB more practical. Not to say that Curse has no other skills to bring to the table, I just dont know any more from my vantage point. I feel as long as Curse, as the FTB team has done, keeps the community involved in its decisions, things will be great for everybody.

...oh and an offline mode would be nice for when MC auth servers are down too :)

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019
...oh and an offline mode would be nice for when MC auth servers are down too :)
Don't know whether you're talking about FTB or Curse, but there's definitely already an offline function in the FTB launcher.

Not preventing users from accessing mods or key features still doesn't answer whether packs will be updated as a whole.
Slowpoke said several times that he wanted the Curse premium features to be purely cosmetic. Purely cosmetic. Besides, they keep saying that the new Curse client will need to have ability on par with the FTB launcher before Slow will approve it to replace the FTB launcher.

Reactions: Padfoote

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
Don't know whether you're talking about FTB or Curse, but there's definitely already an offline function in the FTB launcher.

If there is, I never found it. I specifically use it for making fake players (non premium/existent accounts) to login to my test server and test permissions and player specific related stuff out before others on my server have to deal with it. I know of no way to do this with the current FTB launcher, but I could be mistaken.

02JanDal

Jul 29, 2019
I can back Qt programs being a little slower than their non-Qt cousins, as well. I think this may have to do with added overhead from the framework itself...or poor code on the author's part. Unfortunately, it seems to be the best (if not necessarily only) choice for developing non-managed GUI applications using C++ with any form of efficiency. This is all my own personal experience, of course, so your mileage may vary.
Again, which ones? You'd have to do something terribly wrong to get a noticeable (probably even measurable) difference.

Greevir

Jul 29, 2019
If there is, I never found it. I specifically use it for making fake players (non premium/existent accounts) to login to my test server and test permissions and player specific related stuff out before others on my server have to deal with it. I know of no way to do this with the current FTB launcher, but I could be mistaken.
That's not quite the same. And I would imagine that the new launcher will not have the ability to do that either.

With the current FTB launcher there is an offline mode. But you have to log into it at least once for it to detect your account. In other words, no account, no FTB.

Reactions: Flipz

TimeStop12

Jul 29, 2019
After reading through this and hearing that Curse is working on mac support. I kinda find that hard to believe. Considering that Curse dropped support of the mac client last year, i find it really hard to believe that its being worked on again since it was left in the alpha stage and never touched again. Hell even the client download page blatantly states that the Mac Client is unsupported. I know that some of the devs and staff at Curse use macs but still, to say your going to work on it again later this year after saying that support was dropped 8 months ago via curse news. This news strikes me as hrm, should i trust that curse is going to follow through and recreate a mac client and maybe down the line a linux client. Im not so sure about that.

Reactions: Sal

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019
After reading through this and hearing that Curse is working on mac support. I kinda find that hard to believe. Considering that Curse dropped support of the mac client last year, i find it really hard to believe that its being worked on again since it was left in the alpha stage and never touched again. Hell even the client download page blatantly states that the Mac Client is unsupported. I know that some of the devs and staff at Curse use macs but still, to say your going to work on it again later this year after saying that support was dropped 8 months ago via curse news. This news strikes me as hrm, should i trust that curse is going to follow through and recreate a mac client and maybe down the line a linux client. Im not so sure about that.
I'm pretty sure it's one of Slow's terms before switching over, that the client or a program of equivalent function works on Mac.