FTB Continuum Release

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
With out going into spoilers here look up the recipe for a bucket.
You make it in an efab which is one of the very first things you craft. It's practically not gated at all. Were you looking at one of the other methods? You're not meant to use them initially.

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
You make it in an efab which is one of the very first things you craft. It's practically not gated at all. Were you looking at one of the other methods? You're not meant to use them initially.
In my game it requires galvi ingots?

mti_

Jul 29, 2019
However, the big point of this is how it compares to AoE, which came out a lot earlier. A LOT earlier.

What is the main difference to AoE? I understand that there is the EFab, which just adds a layer of complexity to crafting, but what other content changes are there?

I am not through it yet but generally speaking most of the internal mod progression has not been changed.
There are also a lot less recipe changes in general and rather than heavily relying on cross-mod recipes it is used mostly in places where gating is intended.
An attempt was made to remove redundant machinery and a lot of side grading has been taken out. Afaik there are only 3 different powercells (tiers) in the game and no additional power storage at all.
E: Also as an FYI there is no focus on Exploration and Ore Gen is pretty much the default experience.

I am far from my final verdict on this one and I will hopefully get/take the time to write down my thoughts after I quit playing but on first look it seems that the intention was to do something different than the crazy arms race that has been going on in the "expert pack scene" recently.
This tries to unify and offer a more comprehensive (if less fully featured) experience.
It is not a Infinity Expert 2 neither is it a competitor for AoE.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
E: Also as an FYI there is no focus on Exploration and Ore Gen is pretty much the default experience.
I initially had the same opinion on exploration but I believe there was a early quest to build a shipping crate that required seeds from 3 different biome/gardens. For what its worth.

mti_

Jul 29, 2019
I initially had the same opinion on exploration but I believe there was a early quest to build a shipping crate that required seeds from 3 different biome/gardens. For what its worth.
That requires you to go to the desert and jungle, yes.
It is important too for the emeralds but obviously in IE:E collecting Pam's crops was a different magnitude entirely. Let alone the amount of exploring that packs like SevTech have you do.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
That requires you to go to the desert and jungle, yes.
It is important too for the emeralds but obviously in IE:E collecting Pam's crops was a different magnitude entirely. Let alone the amount of exploring that packs like SevTech have you do.
Yeah, if you're speaking relative to those modpacks, you're dead on. But if you're saying "no focus" whatsoever, that probably deserves a footnote, right?

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
why would anyone ever use that recipe. Don't know how I missed that one. Anyway I like the Cells from Reborn. 4 tin ingots in a Diamond shape and they stack.

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
I just bought the missing seeds from the market. 1 emerald per seed means a max of four emeralds to be able to grow all four crops, and its extremely likely you’ll have found at least one or two of the crops. Only had deserts for hundreds or thousands of blocks in every direction.

The exploration requirements at least are vanilla level, you’ll need a nether fortress, a stronghold, end city, and guardian temple. It’s the last one to worry me with the lack of oceans I’ve found. Need prismarine for empowered lapis however and you need a fair bit of that for a void miner.

Reactions: Pyure

tarzan1376

Jul 7, 2013
There's a dozen grammatical errors in the description at least, fwiw :p

@Feed the Beast team, grats on the release, look forward to checking it out.

inb4 everyone bitches about their preferred mods missing or styles of play broken: Not all packs are designed for everyone. This one's probably not for you. Go away.
You can still criticise a pack, its something they made to let many people enjoy and if very little enjoy it, its probably not worth their time and effort to make more packs like this for the minority.

What they can do with the criticism is use it for the next expert pack and making it more enjoyable and better than the last as it should be with packmakers.

tarzan1376

Jul 7, 2013
More mods does not mean a better pack. Gameplay wise, having 30 different copies of the same machines is useless and only bloats things. Plus the tendancies of this community, most people are going to float to the same 5 mods anyway. Less mods forces players to explore other mods and use mods to their full potential. Also more mods would have added to development time with a pack like this. You can argue "muh Ozone" but truth is that Ozone was a bunch of not thought out shit thrown at a wall, with quests thats just "make this thing and forget about it" Its poorly designed and wouldnt be as popular if it didnt have the expert pack label and "quests"

1.12 has had a year to mature. A year. There is plenty of content.
And 15 content adding mods is still quite a bit. There is lots to do in all of the mods you listed
if you've seen what they did to them you wouldnt say that...

They pruned everything lol they might have all these mods with a bunch of content to do, but its all pruned

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
if you've seen what they did to them you wouldnt say that...

They pruned everything lol they might have all these mods with a bunch of content to do, but its all pruned
I fail to see the problem. Like as an example there is like one energy storage in the pack. Not including efab. They took out the other 3 as a limiting agent. I think the problem is that everyone assumed this was going to be a kitchen sink expert pack. Now there mad cause it is not. Does the proning make the flow of the pack bad no. Most makes sense. You to remember the first expert mode was made into a kitchen sink pack. They can't make it that way anymore. They already said this was going to be it's own pack. They don't need all that extra crap from a kitchen sink pack clonging the works. If it doesn't have a purpose in the progression it doesn't need to be there.

Reactions: Inferius77

tarzan1376

Jul 7, 2013
I fail to see the problem. Like as an example there is like one energy storage in the pack. Not including efab. They took out the other 3 as a limiting agent. I think the problem is that everyone assumed this was going to be a kitchen sink expert pack. Now there mad cause it is not. Does the proning make the flow of the pack bad no. Most makes sense. You to remember the first expert mode was made into a kitchen sink pack. They can't make it that way anymore. They already said this was going to be it's own pack. They don't need all that extra crap from a kitchen sink pack clonging the works. If it doesn't have a purpose in the progression it doesn't need to be there.
This made it more of a kitchen sink pack with the added downside of using time as a "resource"

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
You can still criticise a pack, its something they made to let many people enjoy and if very little enjoy it, its probably not worth their time and effort to make more packs like this for the minority.

What they can do with the criticism is use it for the next expert pack and making it more enjoyable and better than the last as it should be with packmakers.
Totally agree. Hope I didn't imply otherwise. What I don't want to see is people blindly criticizing a thing (with a heavy slant towards negativity) without having even looked at it properly. This is particularly true when someone offers the absurd proposition that there's only 11 content mods or whatever.

This made it more of a kitchen sink pack with the added downside of using time as a "resource"
Totally disagree. Assigning the name of a thing ("kitchen sink pack") without anything to back it up (because there's nothing to back it up) is using rhetoric as an argument, and is flawed logic.

The pack as it stands is nearly the polar opposite of a kitchen sink pack (as the term is generally understood). By that I specifically mean that a kitchen sink pack is a modpack with a higher emphasis on number of mods, and a lesser emphasis on attempting to make them work together in any kind of balanced fashion (which was absolutely done here.)

Softwerker

Jan 24, 2017
Yeah, Continuum is far from a kitchen sink pack. Every mod in there is clearly handpicked and adjusted to fit the flow of progress.

The only thing I would miss is are bigger and stronger monsters to slay and Decocraft. Overall, me and my community really like the pack. And my server is really happy performance-wise.

mti_

Jul 29, 2019
Totally disagree. Assigning the name of a thing ("kitchen sink pack") without anything to back it up (because there's nothing to back it up) is using rhetoric as an argument, and is flawed logic.

The pack as it stands is nearly the polar opposite of a kitchen sink pack (as the term is generally understood). By that I specifically mean that a kitchen sink pack is a modpack with a higher emphasis on number of mods, and a lesser emphasis on attempting to make them work together in any kind of balanced fashion (which was absolutely done here.)

To be fair Magzie introduced the notion of kitchensink expert packs. That is a rather far fetched argument to make in the first place.

with no particular theme, and usually with just minor config changes

I have not played a single expert pack I would also categorize as a kitchensink one.
That argument can be dismissed entirely imo... but tarzan did not make it.
However cutting content is the polar opposite of what qualifies as kitchensink.

Last edited:

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
To be fair Magzie introduced the notion of kitchensink expert packs. That is a rather far fetched argument to make in the first place.

I have not played a single expert pack I would also categorize as a kitchensink one.
That idea can be dismissed entirely imo... but tarzan did not make it.
Good clarification, thanks. (I'm just trusting you on this rather than reading back to confirm :p )

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Totally agree. Hope I didn't imply otherwise. What I don't want to see is people blindly criticizing a thing (with a heavy slant towards negativity) without having even looked at it properly. This is particularly true when someone offers the absurd proposition that there's only 11 content mods or whatever.
(Snip)

You forgot my own personal peeve... People complaining when the darn pack has been out maybe a WEEK! This after endless months of "Where's the #$%%^^& pack?!?!?!" :D

I loaded Continuum a couple of days ago and found a few things to scratch my head over, but I haven't been through the whole pack yet and it may or may not make sense at that time.

Reactions: Pyure

mti_

Jul 29, 2019
You forgot my own personal peeve... People complaining when the darn pack has been out maybe a WEEK!
There is some truth to that but this is not like a regular game release. The pack may only be out for a short amount of time but the mods are well known at this point. From the mod list alone you can deduce how much content/mechanics are in it.
How hard they are to get through and how long it will take that is down to the pack design alone.

This after endless months of "Where's the #$%%^^& pack?!?!?!" :D
The longer something is in the works the higher the expectations. People waited years and were not expecting an "Expert Lite" pack.

It will take some time to figure out if this pack is a good one by its own merits.
For many it is simply not a good fit because it does not push the boundaries when compared to other packs in the "expert scene". There are those who are simply looking for "more!" and "even harder!".