FTB and Forge - Curse Partnership.

Status
Not open for further replies.

seal468

Jul 29, 2019
what i can add from me, i know, im not involving here in any discussion, but i play ftb for a very long time, huge fan of dw20 packs and all twitch streamings, but... im just afraid that Mac users will be put back a bit, because curse s focused for win users and they not bother themselves to make linux/mac launcher

slowpoke

Administrator
Team Member
FTB Founder
Jul 29, 2019
Yes it is simple. The moves over to the Curse Launcher and the moving of this forum onto a curse server do not happen untill I give them the go ahead. This is something that will only happen when they can provide what I consider to be a service that at least rivals our own.

Molten

Jul 29, 2019
"The FTB forums will be accessible through minecraftforum.net."

I realise you said the moderation team remains the same. But.
Will Curse / minecraft.net moderators have any juristriction on FTB forums once this happens ?

MrMFretwell

Jul 29, 2019
Having read the posts from members and Slow's responses since my original post, I think its pretty much all worked out and we know FTB will always come first. I have immense respect for the FTB team and Slowpoke and I believe nothing will happen to FTB that shouldn't. Keep up the good work everyone!

Jamierb03

Jul 29, 2019
why are your result different from mine? as example from the first few pages.

No 1. https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDAQFjAA&url=http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1020822380?page=2&ei=5u3PUtm2H4WThgeOs4HwCA&usg=AFQjCNF-WwbOB0jcO7imHNCQ_-E2nEVVhg&sig2=FQSVhmZINz_bbdAXrnUSLw
post where people confirm its safe. There was a bad ad, curse got rid of it as soon as they could. This is the fault of adsense more than curse.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&ved=0CD0QFjAB&url=http://support.curse.com/entries/37138437-Security-Issue-Fake-Curse-Site-and-Client&ei=5u3PUtm2H4WThgeOs4HwCA&usg=AFQjCNGQFgyB1vYuPU-BLS6-wk0bdBT00w&sig2=RI2kCfoAgBxg8jMTldQIog

A fake curse client, hardly Curse's fault lots of stories about this.

Ive heard stories of addons with keyloggers as well, we are taking measure to help prevent this.
I'm not sure but I'm in the USA, and when I googled curse client infected a whole bunch of pages came up, now I will admit I did not read each post. My point was that there are pages out there about them. Now to my personal experience. Several years ago, my computer was infected by WoW and not long ago my kid tried to download a texture pack from them and my antivirus detected a Trojan virus in the file and stopped the download. So that is my experience with them. Now you can say it's not their fault because of this or that, but to me it still came from them. I've never had that problem with FTB, Or Minecraft. Maybe my experience is just had by a few, but when it happens to you it makes you a little skeptical. I hope everything works out great, and I'm sure it probably will, who am I to judge. I just have personally had not so great experience with Curse, but maybe it will change.

Reactions: Padfoote

slowpoke

Administrator
Team Member
FTB Founder
Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure but I'm in the USA, and when I googled curse client infected a whole bunch of pages came up, now I will admit I did not read each post. My point was that there are pages out there about them. Now to my personal experience. Several years ago, my computer was infected by WoW and not long ago my kid tried to download a texture pack from them and my antivirus detected a Trojan virus in the file and stopped the download. So that is my experience with them. Now you can say it's not their fault because of this or that, but to me it still came from them. I've never had that problem with FTB, Or Minecraft. Maybe my experience is just had by a few, but when it happens to you it makes you a little skeptical. I hope everything works out great, and I'm sure it probably will, who am I to judge. I just have personally had not so great experience with Curse, but maybe it will change.
The only thing I would note on that is it sounds like the texture pack had an issue and not the client itself. We are going to be taking steps to prevent the integrity of the files that are distributed.

Jamierb03

Jul 29, 2019
The only thing I would note on that is it sounds like the texture pack had an issue and not the client itself. We are going to be taking steps to prevent the integrity of the files that are distributed.
Well hope it all works out fine, you have heard everybody's concerns, and I'm sure you will do everything possible to see that the FTB experience will always be what we have come to expect from it.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
Last question in my opinion that needs an official response. Assuming I forcibly block all ads, will the new launcher and the rest of the new CurseForge backend still work correctly? If its like adfly and I have to enable cookies and Adobe Flash, then its a very unattractive option for someone that is concerned about privacy and security.

Reactions: Padfoote

Alex_Wheeler

Jul 29, 2019
Curse to me (from reading the opinions of most folks on this thread) seems like the modding world's EA? This, to me, isn't a very good business decision. I have no objection to the more 'senior' FTB guys wanting to make a living from FTB but basically selling out to a larger corp. isn't the way to do it. Plenty of online/internet based businesses have grown to be successful without 'partnering' to another business for what at first is advertised as 'mutual gains'.

An example was the initially advertised 'partnering' of TweetDeck with Twitter. Twitter swallowed it up and TweetDeck no longer continued trading not long after and is no longer a brand, just a name of some software, just lines of codes, not the people behind it and that makes me sad.The same thing will happen to FTB, by partnering with Curse, they will eventually become one with Curse. I've always loved FTB because of it's community interaction and focus, this is clearly not the case with Curse according to most contributors here. I think FTB has made this move far too soon.

Ok I accept that the benefits from joining Curse are indeed good (distribution etc.) but with a little more time and effort, FTB could of become something bigger, this just seems like giving up and not allowing enough time to develop like any other business model, development has to built into its existence. I for one will not be using the Curse system, I am sad to say, as I have always been a fan of FTB as it always has been: FTB. When people ask me what mods I use for Mincraft, when I say FTB, they ask me to explain what FTB is and they discover that FTB is very unique in what it does and how it does it, I would rather not say "oh, its just some mods from the Curse launcher", doesn't sound as interesting, eh? Because that is what it will be in black and white without any fancy this that or the other. Since when do businesses willing hand over their USP (unique selling point) to someone else unless they are in extreme difficulty?

I wish all those involved the very best and no ill feelings toward them and above all, I wish them the best of luck :) So long and thanks for all the fish! :D

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
Curse to me (from reading the opinions of most folks on this thread) seems like the modding world's EA? This, to me, isn't a very good business decision. I have no objection to the more 'senior' FTB guys wanting to make a living from FTB but basically selling out to a larger corp. isn't the way to do it. Plenty of online/internet based businesses have grown to be successful without 'partnering' to another business for what at first is advertised as 'mutual gains'.

An example was the initially advertised 'partnering' of TweetDeck with Twitter. Twitter swallowed it up and TweetDeck no longer continued trading not long after and is no longer a brand, just a name of some software, just lines of codes, not the people behind it and that makes me sad.The same thing will happen to FTB, by partnering with Curse, they will eventually become one with Curse. I've always loved FTB because of it's community interaction and focus, this is clearly not the case with Curse according to most contributors here. I think FTB has made this move far too soon.

Ok I accept that the benefits from joining Curse are indeed good (distribution etc.) but with a little more time and effort, FTB could of become something bigger, this just seems like giving up and not allowing enough time to develop like any other business model, development has to built into its existence. I for one will not be using the Curse system, I am sad to say, as I have always been a fan of FTB as it always has been: FTB. When people ask me what mods I use for Mincraft, when I say FTB, they ask me to explain what FTB is and they discover that FTB is very unique in what it does and how it does it, I would rather not say "oh, its just some mods from the Curse launcher", doesn't sound as interesting, eh? Because that is what it will be in black and white without any fancy this that or the other. Since when do businesses willing hand over their USP (unique selling point) to someone else unless they are in extreme difficulty?

I wish all those involved the very best and no ill feelings toward them and above all, I wish them the best of luck :) So long and thanks for all the fish! :D
Slowpoke and Lex were thinking of us when they decided to join with Curse. I know that a LOT of people were complaining about the 1.6 launcher taking such a long time to come up. That was because the launcher developers were having real life issues pop up and couldn't devote 24/7 to their work. And they do it for free so there's no need to complain. On the other hand, Curse has a devoted launcher team. THIS was why Slowpoke and Lex decided to partner with Curse.
And if developing alone is the unique selling point, then you have fun waiting for a 1.8 FTB update when we're already at 3.4 Minecraft. Also, Slowpoke said that he would do his best to keep the integrity of FTB so there's no need to complain. He even stated we'll still have basically the same forum moderators. The only thing that will really be missing from FTB is the community if we all decide to leave after FTB and Curse partner. But if you do leave, just don't come back if the Curse and FTB partnership does work.

slowpoke

Administrator
Team Member
FTB Founder
Jul 29, 2019
Slowpoke and Lex were thinking of us when they decided to join with Curse. I know that a LOT of people were complaining about the 1.6 launcher taking such a long time to come up. That was because the launcher developers were having real life issues pop up and couldn't devote 24/7 to their work. And they do it for free so there's no need to complain. On the other hand, Curse has a devoted launcher team. THIS was why Slowpoke and Lex decided to partner with Curse.
And if developing alone is the unique selling point, then you have fun waiting for a 1.8 FTB update when we're already at 3.4 Minecraft. Also, Slowpoke said that he would do his best to keep the integrity of FTB so there's no need to complain. He even stated we'll still have basically the same forum moderators. The only thing that will really be missing from FTB is the community if we all decide to leave after FTB and Curse partner. But if you do leave, just don't come back if the Curse and FTB partnership does work.
Actually I disagree with what you say here. People are free to leave if they are unhappy about this. I will say that please don't just listen to the opinions of a few people. I will also say that if everything goes the way I hope it will and we put out a quality product for everyone, they I for one hope you do return to us. Again actions louder than words and I hope that we can prove that this wasnt the terrible decision some people seem to think it may be.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
Incorrect. Experience is not a prerequisite for making predictions. I, for one, have never eaten glass. Though I lack the experience, logical predictions can be made which reveal it to be a terrible idea.
The same is nout true when dealing with people though. While people do tend to follow patterns of behavior, you get some very peculiar outliers. You also have the vocal minority in most cases.
People are unpredictable, until told what to think.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Wow.

I went back through all the posts on this thread and counted the following based on the posts' content towards these changes (1 per person):

• Negative Posts: 32
  • Positive Posts: 7
  • Neutral/Unsure Posts: 16

I should note that the majority of users that posted negatively were Active Members and above.

SUGGESTION: Slowpoke, you can do what you want with FTB; but I strongly recommend a poll created and announced in the forums, twitter, and Reddit to see what the FTB community thinks. Thus far; very negative.

Funny thing is that a lot of what I've seen in the negative involves revenue in one form or another, whether via adds or "premium service".

Another thing I've noticed, after thinking about it, is the first person/corporate entity that can monitize the mis-usage of "There, Their and They're" along with other popular errors in forum posts will become very, very wealthy. :D[DOUBLEPOST=1389375249][/DOUBLEPOST]
An analogy can be made between small fish and a big whale. Curse, and the distribution of modpacks, is of a far greater scale then an individual hobbyist releasing a single mod. The amount made on adfly links is often in the pennies, and not worth the effort to fight. In contrast, an organized attempt to monopolize on minecraft against the ToS would be noticed immediately. Lets also think about this logically. Who in the community would honestly give into paying for a mod pack :p (You and I won't be for sure) All it would take is one person to host the files somewhere else and bam, everything falls apart. I honestly believe if anything negative does comes about it won't because of cost, but because of a more restricted community.

Isn't Curse where Mojang is hosting their "official" "Resource Pack" repository? They had a big announcement about a month ago lauding their 500th upload...

Captainnana

Jul 29, 2019
Another thing I've noticed, after thinking about it, is the first person/corporate entity that can monitize the mis-usage of "There, Their and They're" along with other popular errors in forum posts will become very, very wealthy. :D

Good idea, I'll implement this on the new forums. Basically when you signup you provide your paypal or google wallet details then users can report posts for bad grammar; if validated by a moderator $2 is taken from your paypal account as a payment to humanity. Thoughts?

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
Good idea, I'll implement this on the new forums. Basically when you signup you provide your paypal or google wallet details then users can report posts for bad grammar; if validated by a moderator $2 is taken from your paypal account as a payment to humanity. Thoughts?
humaanity?/ o'r youselvf

Status
Not open for further replies.